You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

North East Region Bus Franchising Scheme

RE: North East Region Bus Franchising Scheme
(30 Jul 2024, 8:38 pm)Adrian wrote It still has functions as the transport authority for the 5x Tyne and Wear Councils, reporting to NECA, but I think it's looking increasingly likely that it'll be absorbed into NECA. Similar to what South and (I think?) West Yorkshire have done. The lines are becoming increasingly blurred between the two organisations now.

I think a lot of the staff are working directly for NECA at the moment, aside from Metro-related staff remaining with Nexus?

Yeah agreed, mind I haven't heard of anything about Durham and Northumberland joining anytime soon, don't believe it's been discussed at all yet?

Honestly not too sure on who's working for who if I had to be honest though, it's very blurred like you said. 

Mind I do think the Metro should stay independent with it's own management and not be ran by NECA directly. It's always been a bit of a conflict of interest having Nexus running the light rail system while supposedly supporting the bus operators who are arguably their competition when they need to make fare revenue. Obviously won't be an issue in the future with franchising, or whatever they choose, but that's years away.
(30 Jul 2024, 9:35 pm)Storx wrote Yeah agreed, mind I haven't heard of anything about Durham and Northumberland joining anytime soon, don't believe it's been discussed at all yet?

Honestly not too sure on who's working for who if I had to be honest though, it's very blurred like you said. 

Mind I do think the Metro should stay independent with it's own management and not be ran by NECA directly. It's always been a bit of a conflict of interest having Nexus running the light rail system while supposedly supporting the bus operators who are arguably their competition when they need to make fare revenue. Obviously won't be an issue in the future with franchising, or whatever they choose, but that's years away.

Pretty sure this has been mentioned recently, but operational transport functions were delegated to Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council at June's cabinet meeting. This replicates the arrangement that was in place previously, though NECA remains the Transport Authority (taking over from the JTC)

I don't see how it's a conflict of interest. We need an integrated transport model, and it's what the Metro was designed to be part of. It's 40 years of bus deregulation that has put that to bed, as why would operators help the Metro out, when they could have a bigger slice of the pie for themselves. 

The fact that different forms of public transport (or even different operators), see each other as competition, is the problem.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(31 Jul 2024, 9:43 am)Adrian wrote Pretty sure this has been mentioned recently, but operational transport functions were delegated to Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council at June's cabinet meeting. This replicates the arrangement that was in place previously, though NECA remains the Transport Authority (taking over from the JTC)

I don't see how it's a conflict of interest. We need an integrated transport model, and it's what the Metro was designed to be part of. It's 40 years of bus deregulation that has put that to bed, as why would operators help the Metro out, when they could have a bigger slice of the pie for themselves. 

The fact that different forms of public transport (or even different operators), see each other as competition, is the problem.

Yeah it was, don't believe anything has been planned beyond it yet, unless I've missed it?

Agreed with the integration though but I just think the operation of the Metro should be independent from the planners. Not to mention it means that the Metro can have some accountability if things go wrong, with the option on the table to do a management agreement with a private company if things go to pot (not suggesting that though).

You'll also have the massive benefit that they won't be affected by political changes who want to change things for the sake of changing things, obviously Nexus wasn't affected by that too much, but NECA definitely is as if Gannon or McGuiness lose their places then everything could change overnight.

It means that the planners and Metro are independent from each other, obviously under the current system it's better for Nexus to make extra money via the Metro rather than a bus paying it to shareholders. It's totally wrong, but it's reality really. If they were independent then let them compete with the franchisees, a bit of competition is never a bad thing for improving service. I don't think anyone has an issue with the competition element of local buses, it's more where the money is going and the bits they choose not to do which franchising should fix.