Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions

Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions

Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (100): Previous 118 19 20100 Next
22 Feb 2014, 5:46 pm
(22 Feb 2014, 10:46 am)Michael It's not, really Simplicity is a Sunderland brand.. should stick to Sunderland boundaries... so 29,38,39 and 42... if new buses get ordered

Maybe wouldn't include 29 Michael as it enters South Tyneside. What's the loading a been like on the new 29? Seemed busy at Doxford and southwick when I passed it
Acky81
22 Feb 2014, 5:46 pm #361

(22 Feb 2014, 10:46 am)Michael It's not, really Simplicity is a Sunderland brand.. should stick to Sunderland boundaries... so 29,38,39 and 42... if new buses get ordered

Maybe wouldn't include 29 Michael as it enters South Tyneside. What's the loading a been like on the new 29? Seemed busy at Doxford and southwick when I passed it

22 Feb 2014, 6:35 pm
How about if GNE was looking for a large single decker, they go for the Volvo B8RLE with Wrights body

http://www.volvobuses.com/bus/uk/en-gb/b...B8RLE.aspx
citaro5284
22 Feb 2014, 6:35 pm #362

How about if GNE was looking for a large single decker, they go for the Volvo B8RLE with Wrights body

22 Feb 2014, 6:37 pm
(22 Feb 2014, 5:46 pm)Acky81 Maybe wouldn't include 29 Michael as it enters South Tyneside. What's the loading a been like on the new 29? Seemed busy at Doxford and southwick when I passed it

I thought Boldon was Sunderland... thick moment haha

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
22 Feb 2014, 6:37 pm #363

(22 Feb 2014, 5:46 pm)Acky81 Maybe wouldn't include 29 Michael as it enters South Tyneside. What's the loading a been like on the new 29? Seemed busy at Doxford and southwick when I passed it

I thought Boldon was Sunderland... thick moment haha

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

22 Feb 2014, 10:06 pm
(22 Feb 2014, 6:37 pm)Michael I thought Boldon was Sunderland... thick moment haha

Nope Bonnie lad
Acky81
22 Feb 2014, 10:06 pm #364

(22 Feb 2014, 6:37 pm)Michael I thought Boldon was Sunderland... thick moment haha

Nope Bonnie lad

Dan
Site Administrator
23 Feb 2014, 8:54 am
(22 Feb 2014, 6:35 pm)citaro5284 How about if GNE was looking for a large single decker, they go for the Volvo B8RLE with Wrights body

Would be interesting to see Go North East go for the Volvo B8RLE (presumably the Wrightbus Eclipse 2 as opposed to the MCV Evolution, given GNE's good relationship with Wrights?)

I assume a demonstration vehicle would first have to be lined up though.
Dan
23 Feb 2014, 8:54 am #365

(22 Feb 2014, 6:35 pm)citaro5284 How about if GNE was looking for a large single decker, they go for the Volvo B8RLE with Wrights body

Would be interesting to see Go North East go for the Volvo B8RLE (presumably the Wrightbus Eclipse 2 as opposed to the MCV Evolution, given GNE's good relationship with Wrights?)

23 Feb 2014, 9:20 am
(23 Feb 2014, 8:54 am)Dan Would be interesting to see Go North East go for the Volvo B8RLE (presumably the Wrightbus Eclipse 2 as opposed to the MCV Evolution, given GNE's good relationship with Wrights?)

Could be quicker for MCV Evolution examples - in an article in last month's 'Buses' magazine, the CEO of Wrightbus mentioned that they would like to body the B8RLE but as yet Volvo hadn't given them details of when a chassis could be built for them to do so.

As for anything else, has anyone considered maybe Go North East following in FirstGroup's footsteps and trialling the StreetLite Mirco Hybrid?
Kuyoyo
23 Feb 2014, 9:20 am #366

(23 Feb 2014, 8:54 am)Dan Would be interesting to see Go North East go for the Volvo B8RLE (presumably the Wrightbus Eclipse 2 as opposed to the MCV Evolution, given GNE's good relationship with Wrights?)

Could be quicker for MCV Evolution examples - in an article in last month's 'Buses' magazine, the CEO of Wrightbus mentioned that they would like to body the B8RLE but as yet Volvo hadn't given them details of when a chassis could be built for them to do so.

As for anything else, has anyone considered maybe Go North East following in FirstGroup's footsteps and trialling the StreetLite Mirco Hybrid?

23 Feb 2014, 12:11 pm

I'm sure you can pull a few strings....

Fingers crossed. How heavy is it compared to an 11.7m Versa?
Generally, your traditional 18tonne heavyweight single deckers seem out of vogue at the minute.
Chris
23 Feb 2014, 12:11 pm #367

I'm sure you can pull a few strings....

Generally, your traditional 18tonne heavyweight single deckers seem out of vogue at the minute.

23 Feb 2014, 12:28 pm
(22 Feb 2014, 12:08 pm)Dan I assume that the QEH shuttle will soon cease to exist, but I have no idea on how long it's expected to last.

Originally for 3 years I think, and it started November ish 2012., so 563 should at least hang around until then.

I believe it's part of the planning approval that the Moss Heaps P&R site is to be returned to it's original state within 36 months of approval being granted. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a deal was struck though so who knows. Car parking always has, and will continue, to be a problem at QE.
Chris
23 Feb 2014, 12:28 pm #368

(22 Feb 2014, 12:08 pm)Dan I assume that the QEH shuttle will soon cease to exist, but I have no idea on how long it's expected to last.

Originally for 3 years I think, and it started November ish 2012., so 563 should at least hang around until then.

I believe it's part of the planning approval that the Moss Heaps P&R site is to be returned to it's original state within 36 months of approval being granted. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a deal was struck though so who knows. Car parking always has, and will continue, to be a problem at QE.

Dan
Site Administrator
23 Feb 2014, 1:03 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 9:20 am)Kuyoyo Could be quicker for MCV Evolution examples - in an article in last month's 'Buses' magazine, the CEO of Wrightbus mentioned that they would like to body the B8RLE but as yet Volvo hadn't given them details of when a chassis could be built for them to do so.

Depends if the vehicle on trial can have a long demonstration period or not. It would have to be a long one, given the current 'teething issues' with the Streetlites - I'd agree with aureolin in the sense that I doubt another batch will be purchased if the current issues aren't resolved.

(23 Feb 2014, 12:11 pm)Chris I'm sure you can pull a few strings....

According to the Versa specification sheet, it weighs in at 12,500kg. The Volvo B8RLE, on the other hand, weighs in at 18,000kg. I believe the Citaro, which the B8RLE would perhaps replace, is 19,000kg.

(23 Feb 2014, 12:28 pm)Chris Originally for 3 years I think, and it started November ish 2012., so 563 should at least hang around until then.

Crikey, I hadn't expected it to take so long. Still, 2015 is about the right sort of timeframe to get rid of 563 anyway.
Dan
23 Feb 2014, 1:03 pm #369

(23 Feb 2014, 9:20 am)Kuyoyo Could be quicker for MCV Evolution examples - in an article in last month's 'Buses' magazine, the CEO of Wrightbus mentioned that they would like to body the B8RLE but as yet Volvo hadn't given them details of when a chassis could be built for them to do so.

Depends if the vehicle on trial can have a long demonstration period or not. It would have to be a long one, given the current 'teething issues' with the Streetlites - I'd agree with aureolin in the sense that I doubt another batch will be purchased if the current issues aren't resolved.

According to the Versa specification sheet, it weighs in at 12,500kg. The Volvo B8RLE, on the other hand, weighs in at 18,000kg. I believe the Citaro, which the B8RLE would perhaps replace, is 19,000kg.

(23 Feb 2014, 12:28 pm)Chris Originally for 3 years I think, and it started November ish 2012., so 563 should at least hang around until then.

Crikey, I hadn't expected it to take so long. Still, 2015 is about the right sort of timeframe to get rid of 563 anyway.

23 Feb 2014, 1:16 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 1:03 pm)Dan Depends if the vehicle on trial can have a long demonstration period or not. It would have to be a long one, given the current 'teething issues' with the Streetlites - I'd agree with aureolin in the sense that I doubt another batch will be purchased if the current issues aren't resolved.

As tyresmoke has said before, First South Yorkshire's StreetLites aren't proving as troublesome as Go North East's and they are used on far more demanding routes, so these 'issues' could be the result of anything.
Kuyoyo
23 Feb 2014, 1:16 pm #370

(23 Feb 2014, 1:03 pm)Dan Depends if the vehicle on trial can have a long demonstration period or not. It would have to be a long one, given the current 'teething issues' with the Streetlites - I'd agree with aureolin in the sense that I doubt another batch will be purchased if the current issues aren't resolved.

As tyresmoke has said before, First South Yorkshire's StreetLites aren't proving as troublesome as Go North East's and they are used on far more demanding routes, so these 'issues' could be the result of anything.

23 Feb 2014, 1:29 pm

Suppose it is similar to when the heavy Nationals were replaced by the early lightweight Darts and the heavier Deltas.
Look what happened there.

The original batches of Solar's and Renowns outlasted the younger SPD's too - often working longer, harder routes as well.

What may be saved on fuel by a lightweight vehicle, may not always replicated in purchase savings over the longer term.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
23 Feb 2014, 1:29 pm #371

Suppose it is similar to when the heavy Nationals were replaced by the early lightweight Darts and the heavier Deltas.

The original batches of Solar's and Renowns outlasted the younger SPD's too - often working longer, harder routes as well.

What may be saved on fuel by a lightweight vehicle, may not always replicated in purchase savings over the longer term.

Dan
Site Administrator
23 Feb 2014, 1:34 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 1:29 pm)andreos1 Suppose it is similar to when the heavy Nationals were replaced by the early lightweight Darts and the heavier Deltas.

In regards to the SPDs, Go North East have always treated them as midi-vehicles rather than full sized single deckers (Solars/Renowns as your examples). The investment costs would have been originally considered over a 12-year period rather than a 15-year period.

Therefore the SPDs, when purchased, were designed to be withdrawn in 2011/12/13. When you look at it that way, some of the SPDs have lived for 15 years whereas most of the B10BLEs will only live for the same time period (despite the original intention of having them for three years longer).

Completely different story when you look at it from that perspective...
Dan
23 Feb 2014, 1:34 pm #372

(23 Feb 2014, 1:29 pm)andreos1 Suppose it is similar to when the heavy Nationals were replaced by the early lightweight Darts and the heavier Deltas.

In regards to the SPDs, Go North East have always treated them as midi-vehicles rather than full sized single deckers (Solars/Renowns as your examples). The investment costs would have been originally considered over a 12-year period rather than a 15-year period.

Therefore the SPDs, when purchased, were designed to be withdrawn in 2011/12/13. When you look at it that way, some of the SPDs have lived for 15 years whereas most of the B10BLEs will only live for the same time period (despite the original intention of having them for three years longer).

23 Feb 2014, 1:59 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 1:34 pm)Dan In regards to the SPDs, Go North East have always treated them as midi-vehicles rather than full sized single deckers (Solars/Renowns as your examples). The investment costs would have been originally considered over a 12-year period rather than a 15-year period.

Which SPD's have lived for 15 years?
Genuine question as I thought the oldest in the fleet was the X reg examples from 2000/2001

Using the comparison of an R reg Renown, they were here in 1998 and should outlive the oldest SPD (having outlasted the majority of batches bought since).

I agree, the cost analysis will be done over a different period of time - but two purchases of a cheaper lightweight vehicle lasting a combined 24 years, possibly works out more expensive longer term than two heavyweight vehicles lasting 30years (hard to tell given inflation).

Given the 30 year duration of two heavyweight vehicles, you need to purchase 2 ½ lighter vehicles to cover the same period.

Andreos1
23 Feb 2014, 1:59 pm #373

(23 Feb 2014, 1:34 pm)Dan In regards to the SPDs, Go North East have always treated them as midi-vehicles rather than full sized single deckers (Solars/Renowns as your examples). The investment costs would have been originally considered over a 12-year period rather than a 15-year period.

Which SPD's have lived for 15 years?
Genuine question as I thought the oldest in the fleet was the X reg examples from 2000/2001

Using the comparison of an R reg Renown, they were here in 1998 and should outlive the oldest SPD (having outlasted the majority of batches bought since).

I agree, the cost analysis will be done over a different period of time - but two purchases of a cheaper lightweight vehicle lasting a combined 24 years, possibly works out more expensive longer term than two heavyweight vehicles lasting 30years (hard to tell given inflation).

Given the 30 year duration of two heavyweight vehicles, you need to purchase 2 ½ lighter vehicles to cover the same period.

Dan
Site Administrator
23 Feb 2014, 2:24 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 1:59 pm)andreos1 Which SPD's have lived for 15 years?

The oldest SPD in the fleet which has only just been withdrawn is 8221 - new in 1999, it was withdrawn in 2014. It should have been withdrawn in 2011, but has lived for three further years.

The R-reg Renowns would have only lasted for one year longer than they should have, so they haven't really 'outlived' the SPDs in the sense that most are only going to be withdrawn a few months after they should have been.

It really isn't a case of lightweight vs heavyweight, because the "Citylink" branded Versas (lightweight) should be withdrawn in 15 years' time, just like the "Connections4" branded Mercs (heavyweight).
Dan
23 Feb 2014, 2:24 pm #374

(23 Feb 2014, 1:59 pm)andreos1 Which SPD's have lived for 15 years?

The oldest SPD in the fleet which has only just been withdrawn is 8221 - new in 1999, it was withdrawn in 2014. It should have been withdrawn in 2011, but has lived for three further years.

The R-reg Renowns would have only lasted for one year longer than they should have, so they haven't really 'outlived' the SPDs in the sense that most are only going to be withdrawn a few months after they should have been.

It really isn't a case of lightweight vs heavyweight, because the "Citylink" branded Versas (lightweight) should be withdrawn in 15 years' time, just like the "Connections4" branded Mercs (heavyweight).

02 Mar 2014, 11:35 am
With a surprise announcement of Arriva ordering Volvo B9TL Gemini 2's for the X18, do you think GNE might have managed to pull off a last minute order for the 27 before the Euro 5 deadline back in December?
Davey Bowyer
02 Mar 2014, 11:35 am #375

With a surprise announcement of Arriva ordering Volvo B9TL Gemini 2's for the X18, do you think GNE might have managed to pull off a last minute order for the 27 before the Euro 5 deadline back in December?

Dan
Site Administrator
02 Mar 2014, 11:39 am
(02 Mar 2014, 11:35 am)Davey Bowyer With a surprise announcement of Arriva ordering Volvo B9TL Gemini 2's for the X18, do you think GNE might have managed to pull off a last minute order for the 27 before the Euro 5 deadline back in December?

No - Go North East don't finalise their orders for another few months yet.
Dan
02 Mar 2014, 11:39 am #376

(02 Mar 2014, 11:35 am)Davey Bowyer With a surprise announcement of Arriva ordering Volvo B9TL Gemini 2's for the X18, do you think GNE might have managed to pull off a last minute order for the 27 before the Euro 5 deadline back in December?

No - Go North East don't finalise their orders for another few months yet.

02 Mar 2014, 11:49 am
(23 Feb 2014, 2:24 pm)Dan The oldest SPD in the fleet which has only just been withdrawn is 8221 - new in 1999, it was withdrawn in 2014. It should have been withdrawn in 2011, but has lived for three further years.

Forgot about this.
Wasn't ignoring you.

The Renowns have outlasted the S reg SPDs, two out of three of the acquired SPDs and the majority of anything bought since.
Granted there have been one or two SPD stragglers, but I think we are all agreed they should have gone a while back.
Mechanically they are sound, but the coachwork/chassis hasn't stood well - with examples around the country sagging and rattling.

Hand on heart, I cant see the Versas lasting for the duration you mentioned either.
They're not as sturdy as a Merc (they're not designed to be) and the poor state of the roads around the region test the most sturdy of vehicles.

Look at the rattles on some of the Solars - a heavier, stronger vehicle than the Versa.

Andreos1
02 Mar 2014, 11:49 am #377

(23 Feb 2014, 2:24 pm)Dan The oldest SPD in the fleet which has only just been withdrawn is 8221 - new in 1999, it was withdrawn in 2014. It should have been withdrawn in 2011, but has lived for three further years.

Forgot about this.
Wasn't ignoring you.

The Renowns have outlasted the S reg SPDs, two out of three of the acquired SPDs and the majority of anything bought since.
Granted there have been one or two SPD stragglers, but I think we are all agreed they should have gone a while back.
Mechanically they are sound, but the coachwork/chassis hasn't stood well - with examples around the country sagging and rattling.

Hand on heart, I cant see the Versas lasting for the duration you mentioned either.
They're not as sturdy as a Merc (they're not designed to be) and the poor state of the roads around the region test the most sturdy of vehicles.

Look at the rattles on some of the Solars - a heavier, stronger vehicle than the Versa.

02 Mar 2014, 11:57 am

(02 Mar 2014, 11:39 am)Dan No - Go North East don't finalise their orders for another few months yet.

By which time, the final 200 Euro5 vehicles Volvo can built (and that also includes B5LHs, B7RLEs, B9Rs and B13Rs) will have been used up (and may already have).
Kuyoyo
02 Mar 2014, 11:57 am #378

(02 Mar 2014, 11:39 am)Dan No - Go North East don't finalise their orders for another few months yet.

By which time, the final 200 Euro5 vehicles Volvo can built (and that also includes B5LHs, B7RLEs, B9Rs and B13Rs) will have been used up (and may already have).

02 Mar 2014, 6:34 pm

I was told GNE ordered several Volvo B9s , which were due to be delivered in May for the 20... they are now not going on the 20... unsure as yet where they going
pdiddy
02 Mar 2014, 6:34 pm #379

I was told GNE ordered several Volvo B9s , which were due to be delivered in May for the 20... they are now not going on the 20... unsure as yet where they going

02 Mar 2014, 7:02 pm
If I'm honest I'd like to see Citaros go onto the Lime, and have a PVR increase to 14 so we don't see so many spare vehicles on it and one can stay at either Chester or Stanley (probably Stanley as their's seem to break down more often) for back up or at peak times. Citaros would be good as a replacement for the following reasons -

* Driver Comfort
* Similar in Capacity
* Citaros have replaced Renowns on the Diamond and Crusader and had a great impact

Both vehicles have similar qualities, are nice to drive, and well built for the routes.
R852 PRG
02 Mar 2014, 7:02 pm #380

If I'm honest I'd like to see Citaros go onto the Lime, and have a PVR increase to 14 so we don't see so many spare vehicles on it and one can stay at either Chester or Stanley (probably Stanley as their's seem to break down more often) for back up or at peak times. Citaros would be good as a replacement for the following reasons -

* Driver Comfort
* Similar in Capacity
* Citaros have replaced Renowns on the Diamond and Crusader and had a great impact

Both vehicles have similar qualities, are nice to drive, and well built for the routes.

Pages (100): Previous 118 19 20100 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possibly Related Threads…
Replies 280
Views 135849
20 May 2023, 5:51 pm
Last Post by Unber43