You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(02 Apr 2014, 8:01 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote 3963 with a vinyl photo of eezypeazy dressed up in a Roman Gladiator outfit? Wink

Hahaha that would be a awful sight to see
(02 Apr 2014, 8:07 pm)Michael wrote They could use 524, as that is parked up in riverside but could transfer to Hexham

Isn't 524 to be used on the Road Closure Shuttle for Lukes Lane
(02 Apr 2014, 8:07 pm)Michael wrote They could use 524, as that is parked up in riverside but could transfer to Hexham

Cracked it! That's what it's for, I'd bet any money on it! Excellent idea Michael.
(02 Apr 2014, 8:01 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote 3963 with a vinyl photo of eezypeazy dressed up in a Roman Gladiator outfit? Wink

If it would even manage Hexham Bus Station to the rail station, I'd be astonished! Tongue
Site Administrator

Very well done!
Site Administrator
(02 Apr 2014, 8:36 pm)Tom wrote I'd like to see it in some sort of branding.

You probably will. I'd imagine 524 would be repainted too, but it depends what kind of deal has been set up in regards to the AD122.
Better than a little hospital shuttle, everyone? To your satisfaction, Mr. Malarkey? ;-)
(02 Apr 2014, 8:35 pm)Dan wrote Very well done!

On the ball haha.

Didn't even know GNE won part of the contract untill it was posted on here, has it even being on VOSA?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(02 Apr 2014, 8:38 pm)Michael wrote On the ball haha.

Didn't even know GNE won part of the contract untill it was posted on here, has it even being on VOSA?

Answer - nope. Not even a cancellation yet from Classic.
Site Administrator
(02 Apr 2014, 8:38 pm)Michael wrote On the ball haha.

I expected that the VOSA registration would have been the first source to reveal it, hence my little hint to you... I don't check VOSA all too often though, but I doubt everyone else would have missed it too if there had been a registration submitted.
(02 Apr 2014, 8:40 pm)Dan wrote I expected that the VOSA registration would have been the first source to reveal it, hence my little hint to you... I don't check VOSA all too often though, but I doubt everyone else would have missed it too if there had been a registration submitted.

And it starts in 10 days... Oh dear.
Site Administrator
(02 Apr 2014, 8:43 pm)Tom wrote And it starts in 10 days... Oh dear.

I think I remember cbma06 mentioning in the past that VOSA registrations can be submitted at last minute for contracted work, but I am shocked that Classic haven't cancelled their service yet...
(02 Apr 2014, 8:46 pm)Dan wrote I think I remember cbma06 mentioning in the past that VOSA registrations can be submitted at last minute for contracted work, but I am shocked that Classic haven't cancelled their service yet...

Me too, but wasn't aware that it was different for contracted work. Hope the same amount of effort is put into the livery as the Alba Travel Solo SR.
I have noticed that VOSA can be behind sometimes.

I'm surprised it doesn't require a better euro engine.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(02 Apr 2014, 8:47 pm)Tom wrote Me too, but wasn't aware that it was different for contracted work. Hope the same amount of effort is put into the livery as the Alba Travel Solo SR.

Wouldn't bet on it. I'd say GNE have only known since 524 was moved to Riverside last Sunday (not the one which has just gone, but the one before that)...

Designing a livery is one thing, but if these vinyls have to be delivered and applied before next Thursday (to allow a few days for the MPD to be sent to Hexham), I wouldn't expect anything marvellous. That, or it will go out without vinyls for the first week of operation.
Site Administrator
(02 Apr 2014, 8:48 pm)Michael wrote I have noticed that VOSA can be behind sometimes.

I'm surprised it doesn't require a better euro engine.

GNE don't have anything of a higher Euro rating going spare. It was 524 or nothing really, and if Go North East were the cheapest...
(02 Apr 2014, 8:38 pm)Dan wrote You probably will. I'd imagine 524 would be repainted too, but it depends what kind of deal has been set up in regards to the AD122.
Better than a little hospital shuttle, everyone? To your satisfaction, Mr. Malarkey? ;-)

I'm very satisfied with that Dan, much better than a Hospital Shuttle, I would think 524 would repainted White before receiving any Branding for the AD122, Unless GNE are just keep it Silver and put Branding straight on, like they did with the Blaydon Racers Citaros and the Former Centurion Renowns, to then save some Money.
Site Administrator
(02 Apr 2014, 8:52 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote I'm very satisfied with that Dan, much better than a Hospital Shuttle, I would think 524 would repainted White before receiving any Branding for the AD122, Unless GNE are just keep it Silver and put Branding straight on, like they did with the Blaydon Racers Citaros and the Former Centurion Renowns, to then save some Money.

It ain't GNE's dosh..! It will be the National Trust's money who pay (at least the majority) towards the repaint/vinyls.
(02 Apr 2014, 8:50 pm)Dan wrote Wouldn't bet on it. I'd say GNE have only known since 524 was moved to Riverside last Sunday (not the one which has just gone, but the one before that)...

Designing a livery is one thing, but if these vinyls have to be delivered and applied before next Thursday (to allow a few days for the MPD to be sent to Hexham), I wouldn't expect anything marvellous. That, or it will go out without vinyls for the first week of operation.

I'd rather it go without for the first one or two weeks and they make a good job of it.
(02 Apr 2014, 8:55 pm)Michael wrote How long will the contract last before its up again, a year?

Think it'll be this season, but there might not be funding for it to continue next year. If it proves popular this year, and there isn't funding, it's possible that GNE could operate it commercially? I'd like to see them extend more into Northumberland, for example Bellingham, or Alnwick/Morpeth.
Doubt they will be, but can anyone confirm if buzzfares will be valid? A 3 zone ticket suddenly becomes decent value for money if they are accepted.

(02 Apr 2014, 8:47 pm)gtom wrote 524... On the hills turns and bumps of Cumbria and Northumbria

Deary

From the highways and byways of Washington and Birtley to the hills, turns and bumps if Cumbria and Northumbria, 7 days a week, 3/4 times a day...

Deary me indeed.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(02 Apr 2014, 9:04 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote From the highways and byways of Washington and Birtley to the hills, turns and bumps if Cumbria and Northumbria, 7 days a week, 3/4 times a day...

For some reason that line reminds me of Alan Robson's intro to Nightowls.
This may sound strange but im on 553 and it sounds like it only has one gear, like there isn't the usual first gear roar you get it just accelerates off and stays in the same gear but still picking up speed and not revving to hell, has it had work done to it does anyone know?????
In Cumbria you get....

[Image: hadrian.jpg]

Still I suppose its only an hour or so on 524. Hope the suspension is in good working order.
I had the pleasure of operating the first Roman Wall service for R&M (part of the Moordale Group). The company managed to blagg a demonstrator from somewhere, a Bedford 400 with a Duple body which we had for the six week contract. It ran for the duration of the school summer holiday in 1982 (i think- memory's not so good. loadings were canny most days as I remember. I'll have to have a trip for old times' sake.
The service in its earliest form seems to have started in 1974:

The first focus was on a route from Haltwhistle to Hexham using the military road to access principal sites and connecting to the railway stations in the two towns. The service started in 1974 and for a good number of years was a stable operation using two operators. The local National Bus Company subsidiary called United ran the main route no 690 whilst a local coach operator called Rochester and Marshall worked a shuttle service between Vindolanda and Housesteads. The shuttle vehicles had a tape recorded commentary even then.

You can read the full article here.