You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(15 Apr 2014, 2:44 pm)Michael wrote new timetables uploaded for changes from 1st June on the

Prince Bishops - http://www.simplygo.com/download/publication/61596.6

Laser - http://www.simplygo.com/download/publication/61555.26

Simplicity 42 - http://www.simplygo.com/download/publication/61513.92

I think these could be for the concert's at the Stadium of light

Currently the new timetables are in the horrible format

Edit: Looking at the new timetables... these seem to be re-timings and low used journeys getting withdraw

Continuing on from the new timetables uploaded..

Today on VOSA:

PB0002400/436 - GO NORTHERN LTD T/A GO NORTH EAST, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Variation Accepted: Operating between South Hetton , Grasmere Terrace or Low Moorsley front street and South Shields Market given service number 35/35A/35B/35C effective from 01-Jun-2014. To amend Route and Timetable
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(16 Apr 2014, 2:05 pm)Marcus wrote Do you mean as in the drivers? If so, it tends to be miscellenous drivers, and when the special services come into action in the festive season otherwise it tends to be just sucked into the mid duties. The best person you can ask for that one would be an actual driver, but I think that's the way it works. I've seen a few drivers come in from Newcastle then when they come back down from the Black Horse their blind says Birtley so I get on and it ends at the end of Birtley before spinning around at the top and going back to Chester, so to someone who isn't aware it seems like more Chester 21's are running than Durham 21's. I'm not sure if they are late runners or are actual scheduled services, but I think the Diamond has a similar thing with Craghead.

Some of those somes to Birtley Coach and Horses used to be timetabled (pre N21 and recent changes) the last bus of the night used to end at the Coach and swing around at Eighton Lodge to Chester.

It would make sense if it worked on an ad-hoc basis. I've seen quite a few 21's dead on stand at Birtley Northdene and start working from there. Assume its a result of congestion. Almost turns your flagship route into a local service!
Site Administrator
(16 Apr 2014, 4:44 pm)gne_4993 wrote Does anybody have a fleetlist for the vans at GNE

I believe the location of the vans vary - they don't stay at one depot in particular and can move to another.

I do have the fleet number and registration plates (complemented with photographs of some) as well as the 'last known' locations for most of the ancillary vehicles in Go North East's fleet, and these are given below:
(16 Apr 2014, 5:18 pm)Dan wrote I believe the location of the vans vary - they don't stay at one depot in particular and can move to another.

I do have the fleet number and registration plates (complemented with photographs of some) as well as the 'last known' locations for most of the ancillary vehicles in Go North East's fleet, and these are given below:

1038 is indeed at Chester and is mainly used by the leading drivers to commute between Front Street and the depot. I know there are a maximum of 3 at Chester, I definitely know there are at least 2 because I saw them parked up where 4931 used to be in the middle door at the side when I was helping a customer find their lost property. I'm sure the engineer's have one as well that's parked behind the arch but it has hazard patterns on the back. So definitely 1038, I think 1032 is also with Chester along with that engineering van, it looks exactly like 1038 and 1032. I believe they are called Kangoos and Berlingos, aren't they?
Site Administrator
(17 Apr 2014, 8:00 am)Davey Bowyer wrote How are the Mercs doing on the WTX? They must be a massive improvement to the B10BLE's previously used.

I've only used the service once post-upgrade but the Merc I had performed marvellously. I see the arrivals and departures from Sunderland quite frequently and I think I can only recall one instance where the X7 did not arrive within the one minute early/five minutes late bracket.
(17 Apr 2014, 8:08 am)Dan wrote I've only used the service once post-upgrade but the Merc I had performed marvellously. I see the arrivals and departures from Sunderland quite frequently and I think I can only recall one instance where the X7 did not arrive within the one minute early/five minutes late bracket.

Least the service is doing better, hopefully its boosted the passenger numbers to
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(17 Apr 2014, 8:09 am)Michael wrote Least the service is doing better, hopefully its boosted the passenger numbers to

Definitely seems to have boosted passenger numbers on the Sunderland section, at least.

Rare to see a bus come in with less than half a load and you quite often see standees on a morning.
(17 Apr 2014, 8:00 am)Davey Bowyer wrote How are the Mercs doing on the WTX? They must be a massive improvement to the B10BLE's previously used.

Have seen/heard the Renowns kicking about Chester and they sound rough.
4906 had a break light out yesterday too. Hopefully the bulb popped after the pre-drive checks.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(17 Apr 2014, 8:11 am)Dan wrote Definitely seems to have boosted passenger numbers on the Sunderland section, at least.

Rare to see a bus come in with less than half a load and you quite often see standees on a morning.

That's good, hopefully it starts to make a profit soon and we will see an increase in service and a couple more later runs.

What buses is there left to re-paint?

For branding:
There's still the 5 Simplicity Versa's to brand at Deptford
and all the red buses need there new livery...

think that's it for the branding side
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(17 Apr 2014, 8:17 am)Michael wrote That's good, hopefully it starts to make a profit soon and we will see an increase in service and a couple more later runs.

What buses is there left to re-paint?

For branding:
There's still the 5 Simplicity Versa's to brand at Deptford
and all the red buses need there new livery...

think that's it for the branding side

All repaints are done now. The last Centurion entered the paintshop last week.
(17 Apr 2014, 8:39 am)Dan wrote All repaints are done now. The last Centurion entered the paintshop last week.

Thanks, i thought they were doing the fab 57's to
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(17 Apr 2014, 8:46 am)Michael wrote Thanks, i thought they were doing the fab 57's to

They might later in the year, but not yet as far as I know. Smile
(17 Apr 2014, 8:46 am)Michael wrote Thanks, i thought they were doing the fab 57's to

There are also quaylink versa and 10reg citaro due for their repaint
(17 Apr 2014, 8:50 am)JP6004 wrote There are also quaylink versa and 10reg citaro due for their repaint

Can't see Quaylinks getting a repaint when the contract is due for renewal next year.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Site Administrator
(17 Apr 2014, 8:50 am)JP6004 wrote There are also quaylink versa and 10reg citaro due for their repaint

The Versas on the QuayLink will be repainted next year assuming that Go North East lose the contract. With Nexus cost-cutting a lot as of late, I do wonder what the contract specification will be next year... I'm tempted to suggest they'd be happy with Go North East keeping the Versas on there.

5328, 5329, 5330 and 5332 are the only Citaros which do need to be repainted out of the BJ10xxx batch. I'd imagine Go North East would hold off on their repaints for as long as possible. Assuming the "Crusader" isn't upgraded before then, they have until 2017 to be repainted.
Site Administrator
(17 Apr 2014, 9:56 am)Coppercap40 wrote At least one Centurion is still yellow as saw one on the 9 on Tuesday

That was 5158.
Forgive me, it was 5153 which went to Saltmeadows last week - it was returned this week and swapped for 5158 which is still at Saltmeadows and is the final "Centurion" to be repainted.

I've had half an hour to go through the fleet list and update everything, so it's all sorted now.
(17 Apr 2014, 9:56 am)Coppercap40 wrote At least one Centurion is still yellow as saw one on the 9 on Tuesday

Knew my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. Saw it late on Tuesday afternoon myself.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(17 Apr 2014, 9:20 am)Dan wrote The Versas on the QuayLink will be repainted next year assuming that Go North East lose the contract. With Nexus cost-cutting a lot as of late, I do wonder what the contract specification will be next year... I'm tempted to suggest they'd be happy with Go North East keeping the Versas on there.

5328, 5329, 5330 and 5332 are the only Citaros which do need to be repainted out of the BJ10xxx batch. I'd imagine Go North East would hold off on their repaints for as long as possible. Assuming the "Crusader" isn't upgraded before then, they have until 2017 to be repainted.

There are also the toonlink vehicles. If they get new buses this year then they will get repainted. If not then its 4yrs since they were done and will be due a repaint anyway
Site Administrator
(17 Apr 2014, 10:18 am)JP6004 wrote There are also the toonlink vehicles. If they get new buses this year then they will get repainted. If not then its 4yrs since they were done and will be due a repaint anyway

Assuming that the Toon Link is in-line to receive new vehicles this year (which has been strongly suggested by our Go North East representatives) then yes, some of the allocation will be repainted - but not yet.
The B10BLEs will be withdrawn directly, so won't be repainted. The B7RLEs will be repainted, but nearer to the time.

I think Michael was wanting to know about the repaints following on from last year's investment rather than repaints which won't be happening just yet. Tongue
(17 Apr 2014, 10:21 am)Dan wrote Assuming that the Toon Link is in-line to receive new vehicles this year (which has been strongly suggested by our Go North East representatives) then yes, some of the allocation will be repainted - but not yet.
The B10BLEs will be withdrawn directly, so won't be repainted. The B7RLEs will be repainted, but nearer to the time.

I think Michael was wanting to know about the repaints following on from last year's investment rather than repaints which won't be happening just yet

No harm looking toward the future Tongue
Just out of interest, does anyone have any suggestions for the Lime's fate? I mean, the way it's looking the upgrade is going to be Citaros, but will they be bought new or cascaded from something else? My theory is, when I was speaking to a driver about it, he suggested that perhaps the Diamond Citaros could be taken off the Diamond and put on the Lime, then new double deckers could be bought for that, because one point he stressed that I couldn't help agreeing with, was that the Lime isn't a mainstream route like the 21, and as a result, isn't a top priority for brand new vehicles.

I could see something like that happening, but not this year. I think GNE will be taking a break from orders for a while. But, if we all know the Renowns will be extinct within the fleet by the end of the year, what will replace them on the Lime? Perhaps, if new Gemini's are ordered for the Red Arrows, then a new batch for the Diamond may be ordered with them? (like with the Fab Fifty Six and the Cobalts). I doubt GNE will purchase new Citaros, but once again it's a 50/50 option, they could just as easily buy direct new Citaros for the Lime and eliminate the Diamond getting new buses and a cascade occuring. Any ideas?
Site Administrator
(17 Apr 2014, 11:30 am)Marcus wrote Just out of interest, does anyone have any suggestions for the Lime's fate? I mean, the way it's looking the upgrade is going to be Citaros, but will they be bought new or cascaded from something else? My theory is, when I was speaking to a driver about it, he suggested that perhaps the Diamond Citaros could be taken off the Diamond and put on the Lime, then new double deckers could be bought for that, because one point he stressed that I couldn't help agreeing with, was that the Lime isn't a mainstream route like the 21, and as a result, isn't a top priority for brand new vehicles.

I could see something like that happening, but not this year. I think GNE will be taking a break from orders for a while. But, if we all know the Renowns will be extinct within the fleet by the end of the year, what will replace them on the Lime? Perhaps, if new Gemini's are ordered for the Red Arrows, then a new batch for the Diamond may be ordered with them? (like with the Fab Fifty Six and the Cobalts). I doubt GNE will purchase new Citaros, but once again it's a 50/50 option, they could just as easily buy direct new Citaros for the Lime and eliminate the Diamond getting new buses and a cascade occuring. Any ideas?

In short: 15 brand new vehicles this year - 13 branded and 2 red spares (1 at each depot).
(17 Apr 2014, 11:40 am)Dan wrote In short: 15 brand new vehicles this year - 13 branded and 2 red spares (1 at each depot).

Just to add, we have no idea what the buses will be, they were rumored citaro's but the problems on the Diamond with them means they could be something else
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(17 Apr 2014, 11:49 am)Michael wrote Just to add, we have no idea what the buses will be, they were rumored citaro's but the problems on the Diamond with them means they could be something else

Correct. If Go North East can get their hands on a Volvo B8RLE demonstrator and that proves to be superior to the Merc, then it's quite likely that the Volvo B8RLE could be purchased instead.

Of course purchasing the Merc would assist with depot standardisation, but if there's a more suitable vehicle on the market, it could be that the more suitable one is selected instead.
(17 Apr 2014, 11:51 am)Dan wrote Correct. If Go North East can get their hands on a Volvo B8RLE demonstrator and that proves to be superior to the Merc, then it's quite likely that the Volvo B8RLE could be purchased instead.

Of course purchasing the Merc would assist with depot standardisation, but if there's a more suitable vehicle on the market, it could be that the more suitable one is selected instead.

I hope they can get a demo of the Volvo B8RLE, be intresting to see how it copes on the long routes of the Lime!

To add, with GNE buying alot from Volvo lately, they might get discount Tongue

Although the B10's are coping quite well atm

Edit: got a email back from GNE about the changes to the Laser, Prince Bishops and Simplicity 42 -
Good Afternoon Mr Webster,

Thank you for your email.

The changes we are implementing are relating to specific running times during peak times.

At the moment both timetables are available to view, so you can compare them.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Apr 2014, 11:54 am)Michael wrote I hope they can get a demo of the Volvo B8RLE, be intresting to see how it copes on the long routes of the Lime!

To add, with GNE buying alot from Volvo lately, they might get discount Tongue

Although the B10's are coping quite well atm

Edit: got a email back from GNE about the changes to the Laser, Prince Bishops and Simplicity 42 -
Good Afternoon Mr Webster,

Thank you for your email.

The changes we are implementing are relating to specific running times during peak times.

At the moment both timetables are available to view, so you can compare them.

Or long base versas as the citylink examples are coping well