You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
Bit in the coach and bus mag about GNE running the AD122, it also mentions the TEN, Tynedale Links and Tynedale express.
.png asdaddasd.png
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Apr 2014, 3:48 pm)aureolin wrote I'd be very surprised. It's no secret that the entire public sector is massively slashing their budgets, but the trend since circa 2010 has been that the public sector always want more for less. You see it on the OJEC all the time.

The current craze is Euro 6, and Quaylink is Nexus' baby. I can't see the requirement being any less than than either a Euro 6, or Euro 5 Hybrid at a push. Something that they can shout about in a press conference.

Though with Nexus becoming more accountable (hahahahaha.....hahahahahahaha......hahahahaha) they may not want to throw out demands on a bus service that has some pretty horrific press and public opinion.

I'd like to see Stagecoach take it back and operate as part of City Sightseeing contract, take it commercial.
(17 Apr 2014, 4:39 pm)gtom wrote Though with Nexus becoming more accountable (hahahahaha.....hahahahahahaha......hahahahaha) they may not want to throw out demands on a bus service that has some pretty horrific press and public opinion.

I'd like to see Stagecoach take it back and operate as part of City Sightseeing contract, take it commercial.

Aren't the vehicles they used for the QuayLink now in the stagecoach fleet livery?
(17 Apr 2014, 4:46 pm)Marcus wrote Aren't the vehicles they used for the QuayLink now in the stagecoach fleet livery?

I think they were dumped years ago, currently rotting somewhere
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Apr 2014, 4:17 pm)Michael wrote Bit in the coach and bus mag about GNE running the AD122, it also mentions the TEN, Tynedale Links and Tynedale express.

Northumberland County Council are negotiating to extend the AD122 beyond Walltown to compensate for the loss of the connection to Carlisle via Birdoswald since Cumbria County Council withdrew funding - though it will probably not be GNE that operate it.

2013 timetable for AD122:- http://www.visithadrianswall.co.uk/dbimg...%20v11.pdf

Hadrian's Wall Country AD122 users have increased 40% since 2006.
40% of these are international visitors who choose to come because of the ease of access.
From:- http://www.hadrianswalltrust.org/news-an...vity-a3876
(17 Apr 2014, 4:59 pm)G-CPTN wrote Northumberland County Council are negotiating to extend the AD122 beyond Walltown to compensate for the loss of the connection to Carlisle via Birdoswald since Cumbria County Council withdrew funding - though it will probably not be GNE that operate it.

2013 timetable for AD122:- http://www.visithadrianswall.co.uk/dbimg...%20v11.pdf

From:- http://www.hadrianswalltrust.org/news-an...vity-a3876

That's good, hopefully that happens, i really think that independent companies should run it and not one of the main ones (Like GNE), least it gives the independent companies a chance for some more cash.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Apr 2014, 12:13 pm)Dan wrote 2A is currently taking a diversion instead of going via Fatfield Bridge (as it did when it was closed for a few months). Driver has tried to contact control twice now and has stopped to talk to drivers passing in the other direction twice too.

Not sure what's going on. Driver did say something when we were at Penshaw but I had my earphones in.

This Cadet sounds unhealthy, feels like it's going to die and is generally being very unpleasant to ride at present.

8252 did but then came to life when the driver put the hazard's on
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
G-CPTN wroteNorthumberland County Council are negotiating to extend the AD122 beyond Walltown to compensate for the loss of the connection to Carlisle via Birdoswald since Cumbria County Council withdrew funding - though it will probably not be GNE that operate it.

(17 Apr 2014, 5:07 pm)Michael wrote That's good, hopefully that happens, i really think that independent companies should run it and not one of the main ones (Like GNE), least it gives the independent companies a chance for some more cash.

I'm not suggesting that AD122 has been responsible for a significant part of the £880 million that tourism of the Wall brings in (obviously many will come by car) but walkers and cyclists following the Wall probably relied on AD122 to some extent to move between sites and to achieve 'end to end'.
G-CPTN wroteHadrian's Wall Country AD122 users have increased 40% since 2006.
Bryan Scott from the Hadrian's Wall Trust, on behalf of the Hadrian's Wall Country Bus Partnership, said: "The contribution the bus makes to the visitor economy of Hadrian's Wall Country and Northumberland as a whole is considerable, as well as helping residents to access essential services and employment."
"Our annual bus passenger survey shows that 40% of passengers are from overseas, proving that the service is an essential part of their visitor experience. It enables people to access and travel along the Wall and visit its attractions without having to rely on a car."
Site Administrator
MOD Note:
I've deleted all comments relating to the "MAN joke". A number of people didn't find the joke funny, and it has led to a number of unrelated posts. Ta!
(17 Apr 2014, 7:43 pm)Dan wrote MOD Note:
I've deleted all comments relating to the "MAN joke". A number of people didn't find the joke funny, and it has led to a number of unrelated posts. Ta!

Shame to see the professional offendees win on what was an innocent remark. Assume those people don't use the Internet much
Site Administrator
(17 Apr 2014, 9:28 pm)gtom wrote Shame to see the professional offendees win on what was an innocent remark. Assume those people don't use the Internet much

I had three PMs about it and two people "reported" it too - I was fine with the post (probably said a lot worse myself) but the best call was to delete the posts and forget it ever happened to get everything back on-topic, given the number of people who it offended!
(17 Apr 2014, 9:32 pm)Dan wrote I had three PMs about it and two people "reported" it too - best call was to delete the posts and forget it ever happened!

To be fair, I don't think he meant to offend anyone with that comment, just didn't think of the suitability of it for a public forum before posting! I agree, lets forget about it.
(stands off soapbox)

Question; those people on the Go North East Facebook page. Are they all stupid?!
(17 Apr 2014, 9:40 pm)gtom wrote (stands off soapbox)

Question; those people on the Go North East Facebook page. Are they all stupid?!

Im not on it, whats happened?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Apr 2014, 9:45 pm)Michael wrote Im not on it, whats happened?

i have only just came back what did i miss?
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
Someone asked about what the Lambton Worm has to do with the route of the 34/34A.

There is an artwork near South Pelaw called the Lambton worm, the 34/34A passes within metres of this as it travels along Pelton Lane.

View Larger Map

As for the 71 been called the Lambton Worm, whilst guess it's due to local folklore. In case some of you didn't realise, there's also a Wetherspoons pub in Sunderland called the Lambton Worm too.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(17 Apr 2014, 10:57 pm)GMitchelhill wrote Someone asked about what the Lambton Worm has to do with the route of the 34/34A.

There is an artwork near South Pelaw called the Lambton worm, the 34/34A passes within metres of this as it travels along Pelton Lane.

View Larger Map

As for the 71 been called the Lambton Worm, whilst guess it's due to local folklore. In case some of you didn't realise, there's also a Wetherspoons pub in Sunderland called the Lambton Worm too.

isnt there a pub called Lambton Worm i am convinced it is on 21 route could ya help me solve the mystery
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
Apologies all I was referring to the 'is it Sunday service' brigade despite it being plastered all over the wall and website.

Can't work out if it is laziness or plain stupidity

Clifton Hignett and Puylis are needed!!
(18 Apr 2014, 9:43 am)gtom wrote Apologies all I was referring to the 'is it Sunday service' brigade despite it being plastered all over the wall and website.

Haha i noticed that to, some people dont read posts from them at all
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(18 Apr 2014, 9:43 am)gtom wrote Apologies all I was referring to the 'is it Sunday service' brigade despite it being plastered all over the wall and website.

I once let rip at someone a few years ago on Good Friday, asking if it was sunday service, I plainly said 'Is good friday a bank holiday' answer 'yes' which I replied 'how does buses run on any other bank holiday answer 'sunday service' to which I replied 'use your head then, every bank holiday is a sunday service, no matter what day of the week it falls on' to which I got the lovely reply of 'theres no need to be a c**t about it'...

I had been having a bad day that day

I was starting to wonder if the Bank Holiday/are buses running brigade were part of another flash mob from here.

Never mind Clifford or Fyacebuk - wonder how the real Hignett and whatever his sidekick was called are reacting?
Dying to know if they are still in the pip with GNE!

(17 Apr 2014, 10:57 pm)GMitchelhill wrote asked about what the Lambton Worm has to do with the route of the 34/34A.

View Larger Map

Despite having lived on Hilda Park (which is yards from the artwork) it was only when you mentioned it previously, that I knew about the art on the lines. I spoke to others who live in the area and they were none the wiser either.
If the 34/a is named after a piece of art which not many people know about and is miles from where the story originates from anyway - then it is even more baffling than I initially thought.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(18 Apr 2014, 9:45 am)Michael wrote Haha i noticed that to, some people dont read posts from them at all

It's when they say "I've not seen it advertised anywhere!"... erm, it's been on the website for weeks and they usually mention it on the buses too.
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(18 Apr 2014, 9:51 am)BJ10VUS wrote It's when they say "I've not seen it advertised anywhere!"... erm, it's been on the website for weeks and they usually mention it on the buses too.

That makes me laugh too, they never see it advertised but they are the people who will populate the Operators Facebook or Twitter pages...

Some people are just like me, only happy when there is something to moan about Big Grin
People are terrible at remembering that most services operate to a Sunday timetable on bank holidays, but the funniest is people forget that no services operate on boxing day, every year I see people standing waiting for a bus in Newton Aycliffe Town Centre.
Site Administrator
(18 Apr 2014, 10:17 am)Jimmi wrote People are terrible at remembering that most services operate to a Sunday timetable on bank holidays, but the funniest is people forget that no services operate on boxing day, every year I see people standing waiting for a bus in Newton Aycliffe Town Centre.

Well that's just people not realising that Arriva haven't stepped into the 21st Century yet... (http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/orig...8/cold.jpg ) Tongue
Fewer people have this problem if they live on GNE/SNE turf!
(15 Apr 2014, 3:10 pm)BJ10VUS wrote One of Chester-le-Street's 'Northern' branded Solars (I've forgotten which one, although 4929 rings a bell) has been fitted with a full two-line LED side display, similar to the ones used on the 'Great Park' and 'Fab Fifty Seven' buses.

I know this is several days later, but I had 4929 on the 50 after a changeover at Chester on Wednesday and 4929 has not been fitted with the 2 line display. 4926, 4930 and 4931 were also out while I was and I didn't see anything different on their side displays. I guess that leaves 4927 and 4928.