You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(26 Apr 2014, 4:49 am)Dan wrote I think they look daft when they only have the number on the rear. If you've got five mins you may want to have a brief look through my Flickr - one of the red ones at Stanley, taken at Newcastle on the X31 (?)
Shows you what it would look like if you haven't already seen it.

Yeah, I've had a look and the X31 does look odd on its own, but I think it's hard to get a number more than 2 digits and some longer destinations (e.g. 50A Chester le St) squeezed in. One of your photos displays this, and while the destination hasn't been formatted properly, I don't think South Shields will fit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/danielgrahamm/12651595925
I've noticed that on some Red Kite Scania's the service number is sometimes omitted from the destination displays.

Why does this happen?
(26 Apr 2014, 4:49 am)Dan wrote I think they look daft when they only have the number on the rear. If you've got five mins you may want to have a brief look through my Flickr - one of the red ones at Stanley, taken at Newcastle on the X31 (?)
Shows you what it would look like if you haven't already seen it.

Yeah, I found this weird as well but 5250 (the one you depicted on the X31) and 5253 have all been reverted back to having the full destination on the rear.

Would much prefer this kind though: https://www.flickr.com/photos/95376697@N...Bv8-bGEBzB
I've just stumbled across this photo on Flickr by Gary Mitchelhill

https://www.flickr.com/photos/53115167@N...jwz-ec3kMp

I'm just curious of the date. He's put it down as N/A. I would say early 2000's, because there are a few Nationals there at the back of Washington's compound. Also, the quality of the photo (not as in it's a bad photo, it is a great photo, but about ten years ago we all know cameras were low resolution), that would attribute to the date as well. I would pinpoint 2000-2003. I can't remember if 4838, the subject of the photo, was new to Washington or not. Also, there was a photo of 457;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/53115167@N...bhM-9jFvLM

I would say that goes down as before 2005 as it features a Solo. I'm just curious of the date, seeing as it's unknown.
(26 Apr 2014, 4:09 pm)Marcus wrote I've just stumbled across this photo on Flickr by Gary Mitchelhill

https://www.flickr.com/photos/53115167@N...jwz-ec3kMp

I'm just curious of the date. He's put it down as N/A. I would say early 2000's, because there are a few Nationals there at the back of Washington's compound. Also, the quality of the photo (not as in it's a bad photo, it is a great photo, but about ten years ago we all know cameras were low resolution), that would attribute to the date as well. I would pinpoint 2000-2003. I can't remember if 4838, the subject of the photo, was new to Washington or not. Also, there was a photo of 457;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/53115167@N...bhM-9jFvLM

I would say that goes down as before 2005 as it features a Solo. I'm just curious of the date, seeing as it's unknown.

Those Renowns were New to Washington on the 194/294 before being Replaced by the Solars in 2002, I think the Renowns after that spent the rest of there time up at Stanley on there Local Services.

As for the Optare Solo (457) I would it is Definitely before 2006, as was when Go North East did Service changes to the 638, and of course Re-Numbered it on Several Occasions afterwards, but I have no idea when the Solos were actually Withdrawn, certainly didn't last long with Go North East that's for sure.
(26 Apr 2014, 4:28 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Those Renowns were New to Washington on the 194/294 before being Replaced by the Solars in 2002, I think the Renowns after that spent the rest of there time up at Stanley on there Local Services.

As for the Optare Solo (457) I would it is Definitely before 2006, as was when Go North East did Service changes to the 638, and of course Re-Numbered it on Several Occasions afterwards, but I have no idea when the Solos were actually Withdrawn, certainly didn't last long with Go North East that's for sure.

I can remember Chester used to have a little local service that ran around Pelaw Estate (can't remember the number but it'll come back to me). I was only about six or seven when that service was withdrawn, so that would come to about 2005. I assume that little service would become some sort of foundation for the 34/34A, seeing as not many services ran without a 7 in front back then.

Just done a bit of research in the middle of this reply, and I can't believe this but the last record of an Optare Solo with GNE is 482 in January 2010. There was only 3 of them at that time though. 457 was withdrawn from Percy Main in June 2008. I'm sure they must have been almost obsolete at that point, seeing as the records also show only a few were branded as Venture and the rest were shuttles and last resorts etc. All this information has come from the many fleetlists on Jeff's Bus Lane.
(26 Apr 2014, 4:42 pm)GMitchelhill wrote Marcus the photo was taken in November 2000 on a digital camera that I got on loan from the school for the weekend. Unfortunley only one or two photos survived.

No doubt the rest would have been just as good. That was the problem with cameras back then. I like photos that display GNE's red and blue livery, I got very used to that as a small child, I found a photo on Flickr (can't remember who it was by), but it showed 4853 and a National on Chester Front Street in 1999, the photo was fantastic but once again the quality just wasn't that good as a result of the vision and other camera-related things that we get these days.
(26 Apr 2014, 4:54 pm)benambro wrote Can I ask - not being a huge GNE enthusiast like, does anyone know where the bendies are for the X66?

I don't know. Today I posted everything I'd seen in the Rare and Odd Workings section, and the following was on the X66;

4966, 4949, 5389 and 4915. No bendies on today at all. Didn't see any in the yard at Riverside either.
(26 Apr 2014, 4:54 pm)benambro wrote Can I ask - not being a huge GNE enthusiast like, does anyone know where the bendies are for the X66?

the Ex London ones are knackered but i think Dan was saying once to me that "X66 is due in line for an upgrade" as them Mercedes Benz Citaros Bendy buses are put it this way Tired no wonder likes of Toon Link is on Crusader Ten for e.g when Citylink had bendy buses it was even worse for them they had thrown on any bus Loop, Saltwell Park, Fab Fifty Seven, Crusader etc then one day when a Versa was put in service as a suprise a Vyking was thrown off and a newly Orange Versa took its place for the day and the next and so on and so on
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
Site Administrator
(26 Apr 2014, 6:27 pm)Racer_Experience wrote the Ex London ones are knackered but i think Dan was saying once to me that "X66 is due in line for an upgrade" as them Mercedes Benz Citaros Bendy buses are put it this way Tired no wonder likes of Toon Link is on Crusader Ten for e.g when Citylink had bendy buses it was even worse for them they had thrown on any bus Loop, Saltwell Park, Fab Fifty Seven, Crusader etc then one day when a Versa was put in service as a suprise a Vyking was thrown off and a newly Orange Versa took its place for the day and the next and so on and so on

Indeed it has been strongly suggested that service X66 will be upgraded this year, with unreliability of the current allocation being one factor which has contributed to this decision.
Looked like the MPD on the 27x had broken down earlier on when I past it at Heworth.
It was parked with its hazards on and was turning away punters.

Didn't get id as I was driving.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(26 Apr 2014, 7:54 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Looked like the MPD on the 27x had broken down earlier on when I past it at Heworth.
It was parked with its hazards on and was turning away punters.

Didn't get id as I was driving.

would of been 547
(26 Apr 2014, 5:01 pm)Marcus wrote I don't know. Today I posted everything I'd seen in the Rare and Odd Workings section, and the following was on the X66;

4966, 4949, 5389 and 4915. No bendies on today at all. Didn't see any in the yard at Riverside either.

Cheers! I got on 4915 to the Metro, only 1 standee with pushchair and wheelchair on board (seats weren't took up). I was rather impressed with the bus given its age, rather quiet I thought!
(26 Apr 2014, 4:51 pm)Marcus wrote I can remember Chester used to have a little local service that ran around Pelaw Estate (can't remember the number but it'll come back to me). I was only about six or seven when that service was withdrawn, so that would come to about 2005. I assume that little service would become some sort of foundation for the 34/34A, seeing as not many services ran without a 7 in front back then.

I'm sure a similar question has been asked in this thread before. I believe the 734 was the direct forerunner to the current 34/34A supplemented, in part, by the 733. There was also a 732 which operated in the late 80s/early 90s.
(26 Apr 2014, 4:54 pm)Marcus wrote No doubt the rest would have been just as good. That was the problem with cameras back then. I like photos that display GNE's red and blue livery, I got very used to that as a small child, I found a photo on Flickr (can't remember who it was by), but it showed 4853 and a National on Chester Front Street in 1999, the photo was fantastic but once again the quality just wasn't that good as a result of the vision and other camera-related things that we get these days.

One photosteam to keep an eye on is mine. I've got Tens of Thousands of photos of GNE buses in RYB livery.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(26 Apr 2014, 8:52 pm)AdamY wrote I'm sure a similar question has been asked in this thread before. I believe the 734 was the direct forerunner to the current 34/34A supplemented, in part, by the 733. There was also a 732 which operated in the late 80s/early 90s.

I suppose the 34 part was taken from the 734. I recall a lot of Chester's services (some of the other depot's seem to be quite strange) were direct decendants with a removed, like the 778 is now the 78, and if I recall the 740 which seemed to get a lot of Deltas (once again, I was quite young), I think became the foundations for the 28. I reckon all north east enthusiasts know the 21 was originally the 724 (the NNRG are doing a rerun of it with their 4710 on August 31 I believe), and also the 723 was the X21?
(26 Apr 2014, 9:13 pm)GMitchelhill wrote One photosteam to keep an eye on is mine. I've got Tens of Thousands of photos of GNE buses in RYB livery.

I must say Gary, your photos from 2003 are just magnificent, seeing as cameras back then were still quite poor in quality and that they were taken almost a dozen years ago. Your photo stream's so long it crashes my computer and a pop-up comes up saying Flickr isn't responding to a long running photo stream Tongue
(26 Apr 2014, 4:28 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote As for the Optare Solo (457) I would it is Definitely before 2006, as was when Go North East did Service changes to the 638, and of course Re-Numbered it on Several Occasions afterwards, but I have no idea when the Solos were actually Withdrawn, certainly didn't last long with Go North East that's for sure.

The MPDs arrived at Washington during Q4 2002/Q1 2003 iirc.

I think the 638 on that photo would have been the evening 638, which ran Sunderland to Heworth, rather than Sunderland to Crawcrook. I believe Deptford ran it during the day too.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(26 Apr 2014, 9:28 pm)Marcus wrote I suppose the 34 part was taken from the 734. I recall a lot of Chester's services (some of the other depot's seem to be quite strange) were direct decendants with a removed, like the 778 is now the 78, and if I recall the 740 which seemed to get a lot of Deltas (once again, I was quite young), I think became the foundations for the 28. I reckon all north east enthusiasts know the 21 was originally the 724 (the NNRG are doing a rerun of it with their 4710 on August 31 I believe), and also the 723 was the X21?

There was the Northern 810 which went into Hilda Park. Scarlet Band have it now, but no idea what number it is.
The 733 - went straight up Pelaw Bank to Urpeth Grange etc, whilst the 734 went around Pelaw Estate, just like the 34 does now. The only difference being the frequency and extension to Waldridge Park.

The 739/740 were replaced in part by the 28/28a - but from Strange Villa, they follow the 728 route to the Angel and then there is a variation of the old 733 (28a) and 721/727/777 (28).

The 724 was the Bishop Auckland bus and originally, the 722/723 went to Darlington - all via Durham Road, Birtley, Chester etc.
(26 Apr 2014, 9:28 pm)Marcus wrote I suppose the 34 part was taken from the 734. I recall a lot of Chester's services (some of the other depot's seem to be quite strange) were direct decendants with a removed, like the 778 is now the 78, and if I recall the 740 which seemed to get a lot of Deltas (once again, I was quite young), I think became the foundations for the 28. I reckon all north east enthusiasts know the 21 was originally the 724 (the NNRG are doing a rerun of it with their 4710 on August 31 I believe), and also the 723 was the X21?

The 723 was replaced by the 7 between Durham and Darlington while the Durham to Newcastle section was assimilated into the frequency of the 21 as were the 722 and 724. The X21 started a little later on.
(26 Apr 2014, 9:57 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote There was the Northern 810 which went into Hilda Park. Scarlet Band have it now, but no idea what number it is.
The 733 - went straight up Pelaw Bank to Urpeth Grange etc, whilst the 734 went around Pelaw Estate, just like the 34 does now. The only difference being the frequency and extension to Waldridge Park.

The 739/740 were replaced in part by the 28/28a - but from Strange Villa, they follow the 728 route to the Angel and then there is a variation of the old 733 (28a) and 721/727/777 (28).

The 724 was the Bishop Auckland bus and originally, the 722/723 went to Darlington - all via Durham Road, Birtley, Chester etc.

Did the 734 not interwork with the M3 at one time? Using one of Washington's MPDs?
(26 Apr 2014, 10:09 pm)aureolin wrote Did the 734 not interwork with the M3 at one time? Using one of Washington's MPDs?

Aye, on a night and Sunday they interworked.
Think it was fairly recently though, as the M3 was a post 2006 service.
(26 Apr 2014, 9:30 pm)Marcus wrote I must say Gary, your photos from 2003 are just magnificent, seeing as cameras back then were still quite poor in quality and that they were taken almost a dozen years ago. Your photo stream's so long it crashes my computer and a pop-up comes up saying Flickr isn't responding to a long running photo stream Tongue

Marcus

Go to my main website - http://www.gjm-photogenic.co.uk/ - and you find links to specific galleries that won't crash your Flickr.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(26 Apr 2014, 9:13 pm)GMitchelhill wrote One photosteam to keep an eye on is mine. I've got Tens of Thousands of photos of GNE buses in RYB livery.

not bad got about 5000 odd photos still climbing though still need to put shots on from Friday but couldn't be bothered anyways tomorrow i will upload them after a trip to see my beloved SAFC play against a club from Wales aka Cardiff City anyways saw an interesting sight on driver training the other day Sunderland Connect 628 at 1st i said to Alan is that a Quaylink (by coincidence that happened later that day on 5)
Owner of Bella the Cat

Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(26 Apr 2014, 11:50 pm)Racer_Experience wrote not bad got about 5000 odd photos still climbing though still need to put shots on from Friday but couldn't be bothered anyways tomorrow i will upload them after a trip to see my beloved SAFC play against a club from Wales aka Cardiff City anyways saw an interesting sight on driver training the other day Sunderland Connect 628 at 1st i said to Alan is that a Quaylink (by coincidence that happened later that day on 5)

Both vehicle and route familiarisation rolled into one perhaps? Thats if new Deptford starters still get put on the Nexus rota of course...
(26 Apr 2014, 11:57 pm)aureolin wrote Both vehicle and route familiarisation rolled into one perhaps? Thats if new Deptford starters still get put on the Nexus rota of course...

1st a dead branded MPD Venture still with its old logos on appeeared on Driver Training then a Sunderland Connect in Jarrow on Driver Training saying that though i saw a MPD Washington Street Shuttle on Driver Training once in Jarrow at the time 88/88A was a Deptford route soon to be a Washington route however a Washington Street Shuttle became a regular thing after that now the brand doesn't exist and them MPDs are put it this way awful they vibrate no wonder my back killed on them via after shock (not the drink) Tongue
Owner of Bella the Cat

(26 Apr 2014, 9:57 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote There was the Northern 810 which went into Hilda Park. Scarlet Band have it now, but no idea what number it is.

I see those Scarlet Band vehicles out and about alot in Chester. It used to be Classic Travel. Currently it's the 701, 702 and 703 and they all join up when one gets back to front street from doing the 701 it instantly changes onto the 702. They use Stand A when they're going up to Waldridge etc and, and that stand outside Poundland (can't remember it's letter, the one after the 34/34A) when they're going up to Pelaw, Pelton etc.
(27 Apr 2014, 10:14 am)Marcus wrote I see those Scarlet Band vehicles out and about alot in Chester. It used to be Classic Travel. Currently it's the 701, 702 and 703 and they all join up when one gets back to front street from doing the 701 it instantly changes onto the 702. They use Stand A when they're going up to Waldridge etc and, and that stand outside Poundland (can't remember it's letter, the one after the 34/34A) when they're going up to Pelaw, Pelton etc.

It used to be Go North East under the 'Venture' brand aswell.