You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
Flood alleviation work in Howdon:

Ridley Avenue in Howdon will be closed between Kelso Gardens and Melrose Gardens for flood allevisation work, from Tuesday, 17 June, to Friday, 29 August. From 17 June until 19 July routes 1, 1A, 40, 41 and 80 will be diverted, and a free shuttle bus will be provided along Ridley Avenue to link with these services. Routes 1 and 1A will miss Churchill Street, Windsor Drive and Ridley Avenue, but will link with the shuttle at Tynemouth Road. Routes 40, 41 and 80 will miss Ridley Avenue and Tynemouth Road, but will link with the shuttle on either Churchill Street or Windsor Drive. The free shuttle bus itself will run in both directions between Ridley Avenue, Kelso Gardens, Denbigh Avenue, Windsor Drive, Churchill Street, Tynemouth Road and the A19 roundabout every 15 minutes 7am to 7pm weekdays and 8am to 7pm Saturdays. At other times passengers should use the nearest alternative stops for routes 1, 1A, 40 and 80.
(12 Jun 2014, 5:41 pm)andymac wrote on the subject of the x1 I was talking to a washington driver in eldon square today and he said that the x1 is going to be extended to hartlepool instead of the x35 which will be cancelled...just another rumour or is there something in this..

I've always thought extending every third X1 to Hartlepool was a good idea. It would fit into X1 timetable without much alteration. X35 is a pretty pointless route and only an enthusiast or idiot would ride the whole route.
(13 Jun 2014, 12:19 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote I've always thought extending every third X1 to Hartlepool was a good idea. It would fit into X1 timetable without much alteration. X35 is a pretty pointless route and only an enthusiast or idiot would ride the whole route.

I've actually used the X35 from Hartlepool to Barnes Park before, but it not like many people would use an extended X1 Hartlepool-Newcaatle as changing on X9 at Peterlee would be quicker, connections already in place I believe.
(13 Jun 2014, 12:36 pm)Drifter60 wrote I've actually used the X35 from Hartlepool to Barnes Park before, but it not like many people would use an extended X1 Hartlepool-Newcaatle as changing on X9 at Peterlee would be quicker, connections already in place I believe.

But most people don't like changing buses with the risk of missed connections and would prefer a direct service. It would make no difference for local passengers Hartlepool - Peterlee - Houghton and would give a direct service to Washington in addition to Newcastle. I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantage - for passengers for Doxford Park and Sunderland from the section of X35 route past Peterlee to Hetton-le-Hole who would have to change.
Ive seen plenty of passengers boarding the X35 from Sunderland Interchange going to their destination between BlackHall and Hartlepool.

Originally when the X1 (replacing the X5) started it used to start from Peterlee bus station, but shortly afterwards GNE wasn't making any income between Peterlee and Easington Lane.[/align]

(13 Jun 2014, 1:11 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote But most people don't like changing buses with the risk of missed connections and would prefer a direct service. It would make no difference for local passengers Hartlepool - Peterlee - Houghton and would give a direct service to Washington in addition to Newcastle. I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantage - for passengers for Doxford Park and Sunderland from the section of X35 route past Peterlee to Hetton-le-Hole who would have to change.

Except for the additional 4 buses required for the X1 eh.......
The philosophy of changing buses to extend a journey relies on reliability and through-ticketing.

In Denmark (where fewer people use cars for commuting) the 'Corporation' run buses that all meet at the same time and place that allows enough time (5 minutes) for passengers to catch the connecting service (in either direction) with minimal delay.

Because it works, passengers can rely on it and use the services rather than their own vehicles. A flat fare covers a time period (of an hour) after getting off the first bus (the ticket is valid for where the passenger ends their journey within the designated period, regardless of the length of the initial journey).

This means that people can catch the bus to the town centre, do a little shopping and then catch the bus back to the suburbs all for the single fare.
(13 Jun 2014, 12:36 pm)Drifter60 wrote I've actually used the X35 from Hartlepool to Barnes Park before, but it not like many people would use an extended X1 Hartlepool-Newcaatle as changing on X9 at Peterlee would be quicker, connections already in place I believe.

If the X1 did replace the X35 the direct connections between Sunderland and Hartlepool would be lost. Its basically just reversing the current situation with Newcastle and Hartlepool so there wouldnt be any point in swapping this as one way or another, unless they keep the X35 and still extend the X1, one city is going to lack a connection to Hartlepool without a bus change.
(13 Jun 2014, 3:54 pm)Robert wrote If the X1 did replace the X35 the direct connections between Sunderland and Hartlepool would be lost. Its basically just reversing the current situation with Newcastle and Hartlepool so there wouldnt be any point in swapping this as one way or another, unless they keep the X35 and still extend the X1, one city is going to lack a connection to Hartlepool without a bus change.

I'd imagine people would use the 23 if travelling to Hartlepool from Sunderland anyway? Much quicker, and I know I wouldn't be sitting on the X35 for that amount of time.
Site Administrator
(13 Jun 2014, 3:44 pm)aureolin wrote Had a text from someone saying that another GNE cadet had gone up in flames? Probably rubbish, but has anyone else heard anything?

Not rubbish - as I got a text earlier saying the same thing. They couldn't identify the fleet number/reg though.
(13 Jun 2014, 3:55 pm)Dan wrote Not rubbish - as I got a text earlier saying the same thing. They couldn't identify the fleet number/reg though.

Site Administrator
(13 Jun 2014, 3:55 pm)Tom wrote I'd imagine people would use the 23 if travelling to Hartlepool from Sunderland anyway? Much quicker, and I know I wouldn't be sitting on the X35 for that amount of time.

Not if they have a Go North East connection at Sunderland to get home!

Another disadvantage to Arriva for having no connections in Sunderland... I'd argue their services would be a lot more successful if they actually had some sort of network in Sunderland - but it's pointless doing that as we've already established, because their competitors have high frequency services (i.e. mostly every 10 minutes) to just about all destinations in Sunderland.

(13 Jun 2014, 3:57 pm)citaro5284 wrote 8250

Thanks, citaro!
Another one bites the dust perhaps? Hopefully repairable though... Sooner they leave the fleet, the better!
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(13 Jun 2014, 3:55 pm)Dan wrote Not rubbish - as I got a text earlier saying the same thing. They couldn't identify the fleet number/reg though.
any idea whether it's a similar or the same fault as the previous Washington cadet?
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(13 Jun 2014, 2:40 pm)G-CPTN wrote The philosophy of changing buses to extend a journey relies on reliability and through-ticketing.

In Denmark (where fewer people use cars for commuting) the 'Corporation' run buses that all meet at the same time and place that allows enough time (5 minutes) for passengers to catch the connecting service (in either direction) with minimal delay.

Because it works, passengers can rely on it and use the services rather than their own vehicles. A flat fare covers a time period (of an hour) after getting off the first bus (the ticket is valid for where the passenger ends their journey within the designated period, regardless of the length of the initial journey).

This means that people can catch the bus to the town centre, do a little shopping and then catch the bus back to the suburbs all for the single fare.

A lot of cities in France are like that too.

Unfortunately, GNE love the hub and spoke model, basing their ticket prices and seemingly structuring their business model around it.

This is all fine and well, when the model works... Rolleyes
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Wouldn't having an X5 now cause problems by fact the route is likely to exceed 50km? Potentially means having to either move the X1 to another depot, or creating a ringfenced EU rules rota at Washington.
(13 Jun 2014, 9:19 pm)aureolin wrote Wouldn't having an X5 now cause problems by fact the route is likely to exceed 50km? Potentially means having to either move the X1 to another depot, or creating a ringfenced EU rules rota at Washington.

Could they not just do what they do with the X7 and split the route somewhere... say at The Galleries?
Marxista Fozzski
(13 Jun 2014, 9:22 pm)BJ10VUS wrote Could they not just do what they do with the X7 and split the route somewhere... say at The Galleries?

I would have suggested Houghton or Hetton as they pretty much slap bang in the middle between Newcastle and Hartlepool
(13 Jun 2014, 9:24 pm)marxistafozzski wrote I would have suggested Houghton or Hetton as they pretty much slap bang in the middle between Newcastle and Hartlepool

Sounds like a good idea!
(13 Jun 2014, 9:24 pm)marxistafozzski wrote I would have suggested Houghton or Hetton as they pretty much slap bang in the middle between Newcastle and Hartlepool

Don't Washington have a handful of Vans as well? Instead of using ALL of those for a changeover at Washington - one or two could be used to transport drivers to Houghton?

May as well just keep the X1 and X35 if that's the case. I see where you're coming from, but perhaps timings could be worked on to allow connections. Unfortunately a lot of services appear to be timed on their own individual merit and connections are an after thought.
(13 Jun 2014, 9:33 pm)aureolin wrote May as well just keep the X1 and X35 if that's the case. I see where you're coming from, but perhaps timings could be worked on to allow connections. Unfortunately a lot of services appear to be timed on their own individual merit and connections are an after thought.

I never thought of that. Maybe most X1s run to time as they do now - but they could possibly have a 'once an hour' 'guaranteed' connection. Like they do on railways - where one can't leave until the other pulls in.
Heres a good idea.

How about GNE do an X8?

Newcastle - Gateshead - Heworth - Peterlee Bus Station - Wingate - Hart - Hartlepool University Hospital - Hartlepool

Could co-ordinate it to run every 30 mins with the X7 between Peterlee and Station Town.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Marxista Fozzski
(13 Jun 2014, 10:28 pm)GMitchelhill wrote Heres a good idea.

How about GNE do an X8?

Newcastle - Gateshead - Heworth - Peterlee Bus Station - Wingate - Hart - Hartlepool University Hospital - Hartlepool

Could co-ordinate it to run every 30 mins with the X7 between Peterlee and Station Town.

If the access roads were better, I would like to see one of the express services call into Dalton Park, but the traffic can be hectic coming off the A19 at times
(13 Jun 2014, 9:35 pm)Marcus wrote I never thought of that. Maybe most X1s run to time as they do now - but they could possibly have a 'once an hour' 'guaranteed' connection. Like they do on railways - where one can't leave until the other pulls in.

Go North East withdrew the X5 and introduced the X1 between Newcastle-Easington lane and the portion between Easington Lane-Hartlepool replaced by X35 so would the X5 not be a backward step
(13 Jun 2014, 10:32 pm)marxistafozzski wrote If the access roads were better, I would like to see one of the express services call into Dalton Park, but the traffic can be hectic coming off the A19 at times

Going Northbound the access to Dalton Park isn't too bad. But southbound the bus would have to travel about a mile going back on itself to get the A19. Unless they ran the X9 through Easington Village.

As for the Red Arrow, they could maybe run Peak Hour only journeys like they do with the X1A.

Maybe run a X1B from Seaham to Murton then joining up with the main route at Hetton Le Hole.

And also a X1C to Peterlee via Easington Village.

OK it's a longer route, but not forgetting the DWP is a major employer in the Washington area with one of their offices next to the Galleries. And also people can travel to Houghton Le Spring and change onto services to Rainton Bridge.

With the right amount of advertising and promotion, they could build up the customer base and make the route successful. Also with people who don't have cars, it would open up a lot of oppotunities for them to get to work cheaply and without too much hassle.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Marxista Fozzski
(13 Jun 2014, 11:24 pm)GMitchelhill wrote Going Northbound the access to Dalton Park isn't too bad. But southbound the bus would have to travel about a mile going back on itself to get the A19. Unless they ran the X9 through Easington Village.

Yeah, Southbound access is shocking, and on a bad day, could add years to a journey, specially on a busy day.

Recently I have suggested extending the X36 to Hartlepool with Dalton Park as a stopping point or extending 1 or 2 X1's an hour to DP, but until the access is sorted out it will always be awkward to reach Southbound of the 19
(14 Jun 2014, 5:14 am)marxistafozzski wrote Yeah, Southbound access is shocking, and on a bad day, could add years to a journey, specially on a busy day.

Recently I have suggested extending the X36 to Hartlepool with Dalton Park as a stopping point or extending 1 or 2 X1's an hour to DP, but until the access is sorted out it will always be awkward to reach Southbound of the 19

How about this, every 30 Mins each,
X1 Seaham, Houghton-Seaton-Station Road-Seaham
X1 Easington Lane, Houghton-Hetton-Easington Lane
X1 Dalton Park, Houghton-Hetton-Murton-Dalton Park
I had 4931 on the X25 this morning to Wrekenton - and a mother, father and 20-odd year old son got on close to my stop. It was already chokka, and as I put my bag on the seat next to me to get ready to alight, the son found he didn't see a seat. His parents had the back row - (three seats taken up with their stuff), and as he said he was going to sit down at the front, his father said 'no you won't'. He then picked up my bag (without my permission) and threw it at me and told his son to sit down! Goodness me, that's the worst type of person to be on a bus with! Dodgy

I couldn't help but notice while I had 6086 and 6090 on the 56 - that the announcements seemed to be inconsistent. On 6086, they were really quiet and sounded like they were in Welsh! Tongue

On 6090 - it sounded it about 3 different people were doing them!