You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(14 Jun 2014, 1:32 pm)Marcus wrote I had 4931 on the X25 this morning to Wrekenton - and a mother, father and 20-odd year old son got on close to my stop. It was already chokka, and as I put my bag on the seat next to me to get ready to alight, the son found he didn't see a seat. His parents had the back row - (three seats taken up with their stuff), and as he said he was going to sit down at the front, his father said 'no you won't'. He then picked up my bag (without my permission) and threw it at me and told his son to sit down! Goodness me, that's the worst type of person to be on a bus with! Dodgy

I couldn't help but notice while I had 6086 and 6090 on the 56 - that the announcements seemed to be inconsistent. On 6086, they were really quiet and sounded like they were in Welsh! Tongue

On 6090 - it sounded it about 3 different people were doing them!

Sounds like an utter bell end
RE: Go North East - Latest
(14 Jun 2014, 2:51 pm)citaro5284 wrote That seems to happen to you quite often....

It does unfortunately.
I blamed the hotel WiFi this time.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
(14 Jun 2014, 2:55 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote It does unfortunately.
I blamed the hotel WiFi this time.

Good job it wasn't the fault of the Wi-Fi on the Angel, eh?! Tongue

For anyone interested - I hung around the Metrocentre and Eldon Square for a bit today, and every TEN had working Wi-Fi. Didn't test any of the others.
(14 Jun 2014, 3:04 pm)Dan wrote Good job it wasn't the fault of the Wi-Fi on the Angel, eh?! Tongue

For anyone interested - I hung around the Metrocentre and Eldon Square for a bit today, and every TEN had working Wi-Fi. Didn't test any of the others.

6058 and 6069 not working today! Sad

Nor was 6086, 6090 or 6005
(14 Jun 2014, 3:04 pm)Dan wrote Good job it wasn't the fault of the Wi-Fi on the Angel, eh?! Tongue

Not working on 6044 or 6116. However, both Arriva vehicles I've been on today that advertise having WiFi actually had working WiFi.

I would need to find a vehicle that had WiFi on in the first place, in order to use it :p
Judging by posts on the rare workings thread over the last week or so, finding a branded b5 on the 21, is as likely as finding a full b9 allocation on the x9/10 or finding a hen with teeth Big Grin

Looks like you hit lucky with the working WiFi mind! Marcus and Kuyoyo haven't had much joy.
Marxista Fozzski
(12 Jun 2014, 10:53 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Wrote a big post, lost signal and it vanished.

@busman101 - granted, point to point the 638 wont have carried many (AdamY apart) - but if it doesn't work commercially, why is the combined pvr of the replacement services, exceed the 638?

@Marcus - aye, they interworked. Used a hotch potch of vehicles initially, inc Plaxton Verde's off the 638, before the Solars which are on the x84/85 were purchased/branded.

@Fozz - Yup. Mates often got the first 231 after a night out. Was on a Superliner coach, that the Avenue Vivienne lot smashed up with a brick one night.

Do what I do when needing to write a big post, write it in a notepad up

(14 Jun 2014, 11:31 am)Drifter60 wrote How about this, every 30 Mins each,
X1 Seaham, Houghton-Seaton-Station Road-Seaham
X1 Easington Lane, Houghton-Hetton-Easington Lane
X1 Dalton Park, Houghton-Hetton-Murton-Dalton Park

This maybe needs to be moved to Service Suggestions along with other recent additions to this thread...I will post my ideas in there
(14 Jun 2014, 3:37 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Do what I do when needing to write a big post, write it in a notepad up

This maybe needs to be moved to Service Suggestions along with other recent additions to this thread...I will post my ideas in there

To be honest, it doesn't happen that much on this phone, but often did on my old one.
Started copying text, on the off chance something goes wrong - but after several pints and a phone reboot, there isn't much chance of the copy/paste function working Wink
Marxista Fozzski
(14 Jun 2014, 3:51 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote To be honest, it doesn't happen that much on this phone, but often did on my old one.
Started copying text, on the off chance something goes wrong - but after several pints and a phone reboot, there isn't much chance of the copy/paste function working Wink

I know what you mean mate, when I have a few too many pints I Struggle To Even See The Screen On My phone
(14 Jun 2014, 3:37 pm)marxistafozzski wrote This maybe needs to be moved to Service Suggestions along with other recent additions to this thread...I will post my ideas in there

Kind of agree, but it forms part of a conversation relevant to this thread too. Moving the suggestions out and leaving the rest of the conversation would cause a bit of confusion, so I think we'll leave it unless there's any major objections with it being here?
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(14 Jun 2014, 3:14 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Looks like you hit lucky with the working WiFi mind! Marcus and Kuyoyo haven't had much joy.

I have now however - 6047 has working WiFi although it's not Moovebox or CCL but go-northeast-wifi

EDIT: too good to be true, reach Gateshead, driver turns engine off for changeover and the WiFi has been awful ever since. Back to relying on my trusty mobile internet hotspot.
(12 Jun 2014, 2:41 pm)eezypeazy wrote On VOSA:

PB0003954/597 - GO NORTH EAST LIMITED, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA

Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between WALLTOWN ROMAN ARMY MUSEUM and BRAMPTON MARKET PLACE given service number AD122 effective from 14-Jun-2014. To amend Route.

This should make our Longbyre correspondent very happy!

The only problem is that the people of Longbyre are still not using it - my source tells me there was no use from the village today, with the morning journey from Brampton to Hexham getting stuck in the village courtesy of a Royal Mail van !
(14 Jun 2014, 8:39 pm)busman101 wrote The only problem is that the people of Longbyre are still not using it - my source tells me there was no use from the village today, with the morning journey from Brampton to Hexham getting stuck in the village courtesy of a Royal Mail van !

To be honest, looking at the fare structuring on the AD122 it's a surprise anyone's using it other than tourists. I imagine the 685, despite the walk, will be cheaper for any fare-payers.
(14 Jun 2014, 8:39 pm)busman101 wrote The only problem is that the people of Longbyre are still not using it - my source tells me there was no use from the village today, with the morning journey from Brampton to Hexham getting stuck in the village courtesy of a Royal Mail van !

Just noticed today was the first day of it serving Longbyre. It hasn't been added to the timetable on simplygo.com yet.

Wonder how many folk use the service overall? I'd probably give it a shot, but some countries still use a few hours on an MPD as a form of capital punishment.
Marxista Fozzski
(14 Jun 2014, 8:50 pm)aureolin wrote Just noticed today was the first day of it serving Longbyre. It hasn't been added to the timetable on simplygo.com yet.

Wonder how many folk use the service overall? I'd probably give it a shot, but some countries still use a few hours on an MPD as a form of capital punishment.

And if you make it through a few hours without topping yourself your free to go
I imagine that the problem with the AD122 is that it lost its 'continuity' when Cumbria CC withdrew its funding and GNE have (with Northumberland CC) had to cobble-together a replacement.
(14 Jun 2014, 9:00 pm)G-CPTN wrote I imagine that the problem with the AD122 is that it lost its 'continuity' when Cumbria CC withdrew its funding and GNE have (with Northumberland CC) had to cobble-together a replacement.

I do think it's a good service to have for the summer, but I think it's only ever going to attract tourists or happy snappers. To me I'd rather spend my money on a Explorer. There's any amounts of places you could go for a day out with that.

It's like the 73 serving Coach Road Estate in Washington, The Estate cry, bitch and moan to the Council and Local MP's etc for a Service, and don't even bother to use it.
(14 Jun 2014, 9:08 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote It's like the 73 serving Coach Road Estate in Washington, The Estate cry, bitch and moan to the Council and Local MP's etc for a Service, and don't even bother to use it.

I think that's a bit harsh though, because it is fairly isolated and there's only two buses a day, which are also at times fairly inconvenient for commuting to Newcastle and are also bad for commuters as 'Buzzfare' season tickets and Key Cards can't be used.

The Coach Road area is served by service 4 and 56 every 10 minutes and the M2 and M3 every 15 (combined), as well as the W5/W6 and 50/50A from Concord.
(12 Jun 2014, 2:41 pm)eezypeazy wrote On VOSA:

PB0003954/597 - GO NORTH EAST LIMITED, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA

Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between WALLTOWN ROMAN ARMY MUSEUM and BRAMPTON MARKET PLACE given service number AD122 effective from 14-Jun-2014. To amend Route.

This should make our Longbyre correspondent very happy!
I was wondering why I heard the MPD sound a lot louder than normal earlier!

Longbyre is a small hamlet of 30 or so people who are not tourists. The only real tourism here that you would alight/board the bus for is Thirlwall Castle, just up the road.
If I had to go to Brampton, I would catch the AD122 simply because it does come through the village. However I don't see many others (who live in the likes of Greenhead and some at Longbyre) wanting to get it over to Brampton via bloody everywhere!!

Regarding the postie, that doesn't sound too unnatural! However, coaches used to get down through the village with cars etc parked everywhere, forget little MPDs! Even so the post(wo)man doesn't really hang around - it will take the best part of 2 minutes to do a row here.

(14 Jun 2014, 8:46 pm)BJ10VUS wrote To be honest, looking at the fare structuring on the AD122 it's a surprise anyone's using it other than tourists. I imagine the 685, despite the walk, will be cheaper for any fare-payers.
Especially with Teen Cards on Arriva 685. Plus, as mentioned earlier, it takes a lot less time, but also has nicer vehicles (even Omnicities!!!!!!) and there's no need to change buses when going to/from Newcastle or Carlisle.
If I was going to Hexham for normal travel (ie not bashing), the AD122 would be a definite no-no!!

(14 Jun 2014, 8:50 pm)aureolin wrote Just noticed today was the first day of it serving Longbyre. It hasn't been added to the timetable on simplygo.com yet.

On the days I've seen it running (weekends so far), it's normally been pretty well-loaded to be honest! Don't know how though!
Last year, the Alba Travel service had a couple of full and standing services if you picked the right weather and day!
I will probably have a run on it to Brampton and the return to Hexham one day to have a bit of haulage...

(14 Jun 2014, 9:06 pm)aureolin wrote I do think it's a good service to have for the summer, but I think it's only ever going to attract tourists or happy snappers. To me I'd rather spend my money on a Explorer. There's any amounts of places you could go for a day out with that.
As I said earlier, exactly - you're not going to get commuters or shoppers (normally) on the service as it is just too 'obscure', going through back roads all the time etc.

Back to the studio, your Longbyre correspondant
Sean
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
Never seen this being posted. But drove past Riverside on my way home from work and noted 7080 looking smart in the new training livery. There is some slight alterations to the rear with the layout of the words.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

Your source? Is that like those footballers, who have a story in the papers, with quotes attributed to a 'source' Wink

Telt you my opinion about the fares for the ad122.
As much as they may be targeted towards tourists or whatever else you said at the time, they're too expensive...
As others have said, the vehicle choice doesn't help either.
Marxista Fozzski
(15 Jun 2014, 12:17 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Your source? Is that like those footballers, who have a story in the papers, with quotes attributed to a 'source' Wink

Telt you my opinion about the fares for the ad122.
As much as they may be targeted towards tourists or whatever else you said at the time, they're too expensive...
As others have said, the vehicle choice doesn't help either.

And those sources are never named, just that they are a reliable source Big Grin
(15 Jun 2014, 12:25 am)marxistafozzski wrote And those sources are never named, just that they are a reliable source Big Grin

A very close, reliable, trusted source...
Marxista Fozzski
(15 Jun 2014, 12:45 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote A very close, reliable, trusted source...

And when you try to get a name out of someone they come back with the daftest line in history

"If I tell you that, I will have to kill you"
(15 Jun 2014, 12:56 am)marxistafozzski wrote And when you try to get a name out of someone they come back with the daftest line in history

"If I tell you that, I will have to kill you"

Well, there could be that.

Getting back to the ad122 - GNE could have left it as a standalone service, leaving it alone from any integration with the company in the terms of passes etc.
Or, they could have tied the route into the existing network, accepted a range of tickets and dangled their corporate tentacles further into the Tyne Valley.

Comments on here by 'sources', potential passengers and residents living en route, indicate GNE chose the former and possibly the wrong option.
Site Administrator
(14 Jun 2014, 5:13 pm)Kuyoyo wrote I have now however - 6047 has working WiFi although it's not Moovebox or CCL but go-northeast-wifi

EDIT: too good to be true, reach Gateshead, driver turns engine off for changeover and the WiFi has been awful ever since. Back to relying on my trusty mobile internet hotspot.
Eeeh.. wonder if they've got people in fixing it and there's been a replacement on 6047? Good job you've noted that it's still temperamental though, as hopefully the right people will see the message!
(15 Jun 2014, 2:30 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Well, there could be that.

Getting back to the ad122 - GNE could have left it as a standalone service, leaving it alone from any integration with the company in the terms of passes etc.
Or, they could have tied the route into the existing network, accepted a range of tickets and dangled their corporate tentacles further into the Tyne Valley.

Comments on here by 'sources', potential passengers and residents living en route, indicate GNE chose the former and possibly the wrong option.

Of course it could also mean that is what the NCC/National Parks wanted and GNE are operating just that. On the other hand no matter what happens, GNE will always be at fault whatever the circumstances are in some people's eyes.

What were the fares on the service last year when GNE did not operate it?
(15 Jun 2014, 6:02 am)citaro5284 wrote Of course it could also mean that is what the NCC/National Parks wanted and GNE are operating just that. On the other hand no matter what happens, GNE will always be at fault whatever the circumstances are in some people's eyes.

What were the fares on the service last year when GNE did not operate it?

An independent wasn't it?
One of those small companies that don't have a massive bus network to feed into the contracted service nor the financial clout or influence that a major plc has.
As well as that, you had Classic - who would have incurred huge dead mileage costs.

To be honest, although the service is standalone - I cant imagine NCC have turned round to GNE and told them that the ad122 MUST stay as a service which MUST NOT accept the operators tickets - knowing full well those factors would probably do nothing to help increase passenger numbers.
I may be wrong, but the ticket prices and structure is probably more to do with the tender bid, affordability and margins.

Busman101 and his 'sources' may be able to advise otherwise.

As always, happy to be pointed in the right direction, as a lot of my points on the ad122 are based on guess work.

Edit: http://www.thisisnorthumberland.com/news...ad122-bus/ fare info from a couple of years ago.