You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

Site Administrator
RE: Go North East - Latest
(16 Jun 2014, 12:18 pm)Michael wrote Seems it will be at different depots.. maybe a hint at routes which could get a double decker order this year?

Combined with Go North East's more demanding routes, I'd imagine they will look at trialling it on routes which are provisionally down to receive investment this year.
(16 Jun 2014, 12:22 pm)Dan wrote Combined with Go North East's more demanding routes, I'd imagine they will look at trialling it on routes which are provisionally down to receive investment this year.

Looks like that, wonder which ones? Big Grin

It cant be used on the lime because of low bridges.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(16 Jun 2014, 12:32 pm)Michael wrote Looks like that, wonder which ones? Big Grin

It cant be used on the lime because of low bridges.

The Crusader would be a good candidate. Maybe Toonlink as well perhaps.
Site Administrator
(16 Jun 2014, 12:37 pm)Simmy wrote The Crusader would be a good candidate. Maybe Toonlink as well perhaps.

The latter makes the most sense to me - didn't the ADL E400MMC demonstrator go from Riverside to Winlaton and back the other day? Tongue
(16 Jun 2014, 12:37 pm)Simmy wrote The Crusader would be a good candidate. Maybe Toonlink as well perhaps.

I would think both.

Maybe the laser from deptford to.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(16 Jun 2014, 12:47 pm)Dan wrote The latter makes the most sense to me - didn't the ADL E400MMC demonstrator go from Riverside to Winlaton and back the other day? Tongue

Good point Smile. It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up against its ADL counterpart.
Is it the one which was on loan to Lothian before, the one with the windows on the stairs?

Also we have forgot the X21... It might get new buses
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Marxista Fozzski
Re: Go North East - Latest
(16 Jun 2014, 12:22 pm)Dan wrote Combined with Go North East's more demanding routes, I'd imagine they will look at trialling it on routes which are provisionally down to receive investment this year.

Which services mate, I have forgotten which services were identified and I am not patient enough to trawl through well over 7000 posts in well over 150 pages
Site Administrator
(16 Jun 2014, 1:04 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Which services mate, I have forgotten which services were identified and I am not patient enough to trawl through well over 7000 posts in well over 150 pages

Refer to this post, this post and this post...

Although one or two things may have changed, I'd suggest that the services mentioned in those posts are the most likely to receive investment.
(16 Jun 2014, 1:07 pm)Dan wrote Refer to this post, this post and this post...

Although one or two things may have changed, I'd suggest that the services mentioned in those posts are the most likely to receive investment.

Just in case anyone can't open the pages due to being on phone etc.

The service list is:

Lime, Toonlink, X66 and Fab57 and X21

Lime won't have it, due to not being able to use decker's on it's route.

Dan not sure if you have posted same link twice or is that due to the post about the X1?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Services 27 & 88 diverted away from Finchale Road in Hebburn due to flood alleviation works expected to last until 26 September 2014. A free Shuttle bus is providing a link between Finchale Road and Monkton Lane to link up with the 27 & 88.
The allocation for the shuttle bus has been 543 from first run this morning with 606 covering during the morning break period with 543 returning to the route.
(TB 529 is also diverted without the need to use the shuttle bus).
.jpg P6160002.jpg
Can't be arsed to say any more about X3 apart from reiterating that the latest timetable running only to Wheatsheaf half a mile from where passengers wanted to go (and a roundabout virtually in the middle of nowhere on Saturdays) was to kill off what was previously a perfectly adequately used service (or if it wasn't intended to kill off the route it was designed by a brain-dead moron!). What is needed is a Whitburn - Cleadon - East Boldon - ASDA - Heworth -Newcastle express. Come on Stagecoach, be inventive for once.
(16 Jun 2014, 2:23 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote Can't be arsed to say any more about X3 apart from reiterating that the latest timetable running only to Wheatsheaf half a mile from where passengers wanted to go (and a roundabout virtually in the middle of nowhere on Saturdays) was to kill off what was previously a perfectly adequately used service (or if it wasn't intended to kill off the route it was designed by a brain-dead moron!). What is needed is a Whitburn - Cleadon - East Boldon - ASDA - Heworth -Newcastle express. Come on Stagecoach, be inventive for once.

That's whats killed the route, also having it along side most of the metro doesn't help to

i'm glad its finally getting withdrawn.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Just had a very positive experience - X85 12:56 Corbridge to Newcastle 13:35 then X85 14:10 Newcastle to Corbridge 14:49 - enough time to walk the length of Eldon Shopping to sort out a 'problem' with my mobile phone - including a minor detour due to missing the EE shop (I was looking for Orange) - and all for nowt! (pensioner)
In fact I had time to spare when I got back to Eldon Square BS - when I tried this using the Stagecoach 685 I missed the return 685 bus as the outward journey was running 20 minutes late - thus negating the layover.

This wasn't planned - I just went for the bus as soon as I was 'free' (waiting for a parcel delivery) - it just worked out!
(16 Jun 2014, 12:01 pm)Michael wrote GNE have posted on facebook that they have a volvo B5TL on an evaluation trail.

People with passes will have to use the ticket machine, as this wont have a key card one.

They weren't very helpful in answering your query were they.
(16 Jun 2014, 2:52 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote They weren't very helpful in answering your query were they.

they weren't like, not telling no one out till its out and about!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Regarding the debate from people about the suitability of vehicles for services X9 and X10. Can anyone explain how other long distance routes elsewhere in the country manage....or seem to manage without issue. Other services I wonder about are service 36 Leeds/Harrogate/Ripon operated by Transdev I think. And also the Yorkshire Coastliner routes 840 - 844 which operate Leeds to the coastal areas of Whitby and Scarborough. Are there as many mechanical faults with these or are these vehicles just simply able to manage?
(16 Jun 2014, 3:24 pm)ifm001 wrote Regarding the debate from people about the suitability of vehicles for services X9 and X10. Can anyone explain how other long distance routes elsewhere in the country manage....or seem to manage without issue. Other services I wonder about are service 36 Leeds/Harrogate/Ripon operated by Transdev I think. And also the Yorkshire Coastliner routes 840 - 844 which operate Leeds to the coastal areas of Whitby and Scarborough. Are there as many mechanical faults with these or are these vehicles just simply able to manage?

I think its because the Coastliner routes dont run up and down a motorway (or dual carriage way whatever the A19 is Tongue) at 60mph all day everyday. Thats all i can think of but im sure if you get a view off somebody else it might help you slightly more.
(16 Jun 2014, 3:34 pm)Robert wrote I think its because the Coastliner routes dont run up and down a motorway (or dual carriage way whatever the A19 is Tongue) at 60mph all day everyday. That's all I can think of but I'm sure if you get a view off somebody else it might help you slightly more.
What about hills?
Sorry if this is wrong but, apparently all the bendies have to be withdrawn by December due to running costs. I know we (well, i wasnt that sure at first) that the X66 was getting an upgrade this year but i thought that the way they won the X40 contract was because they would use artics? I know hardly anybody uses the service but would it not be better to keep the artics until the contract is up for renewal and then withdraw them and get new buses then (if they were to win it again).
Site Administrator
(16 Jun 2014, 1:49 pm)GuyParkRoyal wrote Services 27 & 88 diverted away from Finchale Road in Hebburn due to flood alleviation works expected to last until 26 September 2014. A free Shuttle bus is providing a link between Finchale Road and Monkton Lane to link up with the 27 & 88.
The allocation for the shuttle bus has been 543 from first run this morning with 606 covering during the morning break period with 543 returning to the route.
(TB 529 is also diverted without the need to use the shuttle bus).

I too managed to get a photograph of this today.

[Image: 14251447457_a0e71c2272.jpg]Go North East: 543 / NA52AXH by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

I also used the service for a full 'round trip' (pah.. it can barely even be called that), and the driver spoke to another passenger who was stood in front of me and said, 'He needs to get a life, doesn't he?' after I took an interior shot of the vehicle.
So shout out to that driver for being awarded with NEB's very first 'd*ck of the day' prize! Tongue

MPD 606 later went out on services M2/M3.
(16 Jun 2014, 6:42 pm)Dan wrote I too managed to get a photograph of this today.

[Image: 14251447457_a0e71c2272.jpg]Go North East: 543 / NA52AXH by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

I also used the service for a full 'round trip' (pah.. it can barely even be called that), and the driver spoke to another passenger who was stood in front of me and said, 'He needs to get a life, doesn't he?' after I took an interior shot of the vehicle.
So shout out to that driver for being awarded with NEB's very first 'd*ck of the day' prize! Tongue

MPD 606 later went out on services M2/M3.

That's appaling. Some drivers just don't watch their mouths - fair enough all of the ones I am acquainted with are friendly and offer nice customer service, but I've had one or two that aren't from Chester make sly remarks.
Site Administrator
(16 Jun 2014, 7:12 pm)gtom wrote How's about the insipid hybrids go elsewhere and the non hybrids go Angelic

As GNE received funding for the Hybrids, I think they're on there until 2017.
(16 Jun 2014, 7:12 pm)gtom wrote How's about the insipid hybrids go elsewhere and the non hybrids go Angelic

There was at least one missing, saw it in Chester depot this afternoon.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(16 Jun 2014, 7:16 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote There was at least one missing, saw it in Chester depot this afternoon.

There were at least 4 non Angelic ones on service today. I assumed it was annual service check time!

2017? I have severe doubts they'll last that long!
(16 Jun 2014, 3:24 pm)ifm001 wrote Regarding the debate from people about the suitability of vehicles for services X9 and X10. Can anyone explain how other long distance routes elsewhere in the country manage....or seem to manage without issue. Other services I wonder about are service 36 Leeds/Harrogate/Ripon operated by Transdev I think. And also the Yorkshire Coastliner routes 840 - 844 which operate Leeds to the coastal areas of Whitby and Scarborough. Are there as many mechanical faults with these or are these vehicles just simply able to manage?

Same vehicle types used and sometimes similar problems too - there's a lot more changeovers in Malton than you might think
(16 Jun 2014, 7:27 pm)gtom wrote There were at least 4 non Angelic ones on service today. I assumed it was annual service check time!

2017? I have severe doubts they'll last that long!

As bad as the DAF's? Wink
'Illegitimis non carborundum'