You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(16 Jun 2014, 5:06 pm)gtom wrote Apart from the immediate local population, is there much interest/demand in getting to Dalton Park? There's nothing there in terms of shopping that isn't at Royal Quays, Newcastle or Metrocentre which are far more accessible

I agree. Personally I think Dalton Park has enough services to be going with - it's got nowhere near the demand that the Metrocentre has in terms of bus travel.
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(16 Jun 2014, 5:08 pm)Marcus wrote I agree. Personally I think Dalton Park has enough services to be going with - it's got nowhere near the demand that the Metrocentre has in terms of bus travel.

Nowhere else has anywhere near the demand of MetroCentre...

As for bus services, there is only the 61(4ph), 24(2ph), 202 and 265(both 1ph)...And can only get to Peterlee, Seaham, Sunderland and Durham...

At times it is really busy, traffic can be backed up well onto the A19 on its busier day, surely someone could come up with service beyond Sunderland to the North and beyond Peterlee Southbound.

Whether Dalton Park would get more services is anyone's guess, but I think new services will be dependant on Phase 2 ever getting built and Dalton Park would probably need it's bus stop sorted out as your lucky to get 2 buses on it
(16 Jun 2014, 5:06 pm)gtom wrote Apart from the immediate local population, is there much interest/demand in getting to Dalton Park? There's nothing there in terms of shopping that isn't at Royal Quays, Newcastle or Metrocentre which are far more accessible

I would say Dalton Park is an attraction beyond Seaham and Murton.
The only thing is, you cant get there, unless you live in Murton, Seaham or on Stockton Road - as buses to/from Dalton Park, which for some reason, all travel along the same route basically.

A quick wander around the shops, reveal the range of accents in the place - Durham, East Durham pit village, Mackem, Hartlepool, Teesside and Geordie.
Quite a mixed local population Wink

With the extension (mentioned elsewhere), demand is only going to increase.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(16 Jun 2014, 5:26 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote I would say Dalton Park is an attraction beyond Seaham and Murton.
The only thing is, you cant get there, unless you live in Murton, Seaham or on Stockton Road - as buses to/from Dalton Park, which for some reason, all travel along the same route basically.

A quick wander around the shops, reveal the range of accents in the place - Durham, East Durham pit village, Mackem, Hartlepool, Teesside and Geordie.
Quite a mixed local population Wink

With the extension (mentioned elsewhere), demand is only going to increase.

Dalton Park is somewhere most people would go to by car not public transport and that likely won't change with the extension. Simply because it's a nightmare to get to and a nightmare to get into and out of - a bit like Teesside Park which only has a half hourly bus service from Stockton (hourly from Hartburn and hourly from Norton and Billingham).
Marxista Fozzski
(16 Jun 2014, 5:29 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Dalton Park is somewhere most people would go to by car not public transport and that likely won't change with the extension. Simply because it's a nightmare to get to and a nightmare to get into and out of - a bit like Teesside Park which only has a half hourly bus service from Stockton (hourly from Hartburn and hourly from Norton and Billingham).

It is not so bad Northbound pretty much straight , Southbound is where the hassle is, I always thought it may have made more sense to build a new Southbound Slip opposite the current Northbound Slip Road.

As for phase 2, a lot of people round here don't think it will happen as it has been pending for 10 years now
(16 Jun 2014, 5:37 pm)marxistafozzski wrote It is not so bad Northbound pretty much straight , Southbound is where the hassle is, I always thought it may have made more sense to build a new Southbound Slip opposite the current Northbound Slip Road.

As for phase 2, a lot of people round here don't think it will happen as it has been pending for 10 years now

Off the Sunderland development thread...

http://m.sunderlandecho.com/news/frankie...-1-6674647
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Marxista Fozzski
(16 Jun 2014, 5:40 pm)Michael wrote Off the Sunderland development thread...

http://m.sunderlandecho.com/news/frankie...-1-6674647

I will only believe it when I see it being built, we have been told umpteen times phase 2 was going to start soon, I think originally it was supposed to start a year after the official opening in 2003

I too agree with this post. Although those living within its immediate locale may beg to differ, there's nothing particularly special about the shopping or facilities at Dalton Park which you couldn't find anywhere else. Personally, I'd draw comparisons with the Royal Quays as both offer a similar 'Outlet Shopping' experience, yet we never hear people banging-on about how Royal Quays should have increased levels of public transport operating from here, there and everywhere. The on-going rumours about 'Phase 2', in my view, speaks volumes about the perceived success of the development - if Dalton Park was seriously considered attractive to shoppers, 'Phase 2' would have ostensibly commenced immediately to capitalise on the success of 'Phase 1'.

Sorry to be overtly negative about the place, but I really don't see what's so special about Dalton Park (or Royal Quays for that matter).
Marxista Fozzski
I think the 2nd Phase has been to appeal after appeal, quite a few other places are not happy with the DP expansion, I am sure Sunderland, Peterlee and Durham were not amused by the plans, the recession kicked in and I think the permission was granted 2 or 3 years ago

There is nothing special about the place, does not appeal to me, it looks like a tacky Butlins Holiday Camp and it if a bit wind whips round, it can be freezing
I think because of the locality of some posters we do get a biased sided view of where services are required and I think DP certainly falls into that.

Places like DP were not designed to be accessed by public transport, the original designer outlets were built on major road and motorway junctions because of the very reason that they wanted car users. Massive car parks, drive thrus, its not aimed at Beryl and her free bus pass. Royal Quays is fairly similar but is boosted by the ferry terminal and the large local population around

Look where Metrocentre is built, on the side of one the country's busiest roads. MC is a different kettle of fish admittedly but it was/is Gateshead's defacto town centre, almost a city of its own.

I'm certainly struggling to think why anyone but locals would decide to visit via bus (other than day out) as opposed to accessing Newcastle, Metro, DUrham or even Sunderland
Marxista Fozzski
(16 Jun 2014, 7:39 pm)gtom wrote I think because of the locality of some posters we do get a biased sided view of where services are required and I think DP certainly falls into that.

Places like DP were not designed to be accessed by public transport, the original designer outlets were built on major road and motorway junctions because of the very reason that they wanted car users. Massive car parks, drive thrus, its not aimed at Beryl and her free bus pass. Royal Quays is fairly similar but is boosted by the ferry terminal and the large local population around

Look where Metrocentre is built, on the side of one the country's busiest roads. MC is a different kettle of fish admittedly but it was/is Gateshead's defacto town centre, almost a city of its own.

I'm certainly struggling to think why anyone but locals would decide to visit via bus (other than day out) as opposed to accessing Newcastle, Metro, DUrham or even Sunderland

Got to admit, I am quite biased when it comes to this neck of the woods
(16 Jun 2014, 5:29 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Dalton Park is somewhere most people would go to by car not public transport and that likely won't change with the extension. Simply because it's a nightmare to get to and a nightmare to get into and out of - a bit like Teesside Park which only has a half hourly bus service from Stockton (hourly from Hartburn and hourly from Norton and Billingham).

Most people have no choice but to go there by car - public transport doesn't go there from a number of towns and villages within the same or neighbouring postcode areas.

I would love to go there on public transport - but despite being in the DH4 postcode (not Fencehouses btw Wink), it would take 3 buses to get there.

Once completed, with restaurants, a cinema and supermarket - demand is going to increase.
Just think of the target audience those sorts of places attract... Apart from families; kids, teenagers and pensioners - in other words, potential bus users.
(16 Jun 2014, 8:16 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Most people have no choice but to go there by car - public transport doesn't go there from a number of towns and villages within the same or neighbouring postcode areas.

I would love to go there on public transport - but despite being in the DH4 postcode (not Fencehouses btw Wink), it would take 3 buses to get there.

Once completed, with restaurants, a cinema and supermarket - demand is going to increase.
Just think of the target audience those sorts of places attract... Apart from families, kids, teenagers and pensioners - in other words, potential bus users.

Maybe a service from Newcastle to Low Moorsley? Calling at Washington, Teal Farm, Waterview Park, Seaham, Dalton Park, Murton and Hetton-le-Hole? Completely agree with the points given. Look at Gateshead for an example, demand had increased with the addition of the Vue cinema and the restaurants attracting a huge market, from children to pensioners! This opportunity will give Dalton Park a chance to grow, and the transport links provided to and from there need to be improved, as profit for the park and the business will be lost - if a fast express service was provided from Newcastle to Dalton Park, surely it would gain additional customers as a result?
(16 Jun 2014, 8:20 pm)Tom wrote Maybe a service from Newcastle to Low Moorsley? Calling at Washington, Teal Farm, Waterview Park, Seaham, Dalton Park, Murton and Hetton-le-Hole? Completely agree with the points given. Look at Gateshead for an example, demand had increased with the addition of the Vue cinema and the restaurants attracting a huge market, from children to pensioners! This opportunity will give Dalton Park a chance to grow, and the transport links provided to and from there need to be improved, as profit for the park and the business will be lost - if a fast express service was provided from Newcastle to Dalton Park, surely it would gain additional customers as a result?

But first - in order for that service to work out - the facilities and shops would have to increase at Dalton Park to the point that bus travel is in demand.
(16 Jun 2014, 8:23 pm)Marcus wrote But first - in order for that service to work out - the facilities and shops would have to increase at Dalton Park to the point that bus travel is in demand.

Which they won't. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to visit Dalton Park ahead of other facilities
Marxista Fozzski
(16 Jun 2014, 8:20 pm)Tom wrote Maybe a service from Newcastle to Low Moorsley? Calling at Washington, Teal Farm, Waterview Park, Seaham, Dalton Park, Murton and Hetton-le-Hole? Completely agree with the points given. Look at Gateshead for an example, demand had increased with the addition of the Vue cinema and the restaurants attracting a huge market, from children to pensioners! This opportunity will give Dalton Park a chance to grow, and the transport links provided to and from there need to be improved, as profit for the park and the business will be lost - if a fast express service was provided from Newcastle to Dalton Park, surely it would gain additional customers as a result?

Why Low Moorsley???, I have never seen anybody suggest anything for there...
(16 Jun 2014, 8:25 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Why Low Moorsley???, I have never seen anybody suggest anything for there...

Didn't the old X37 from Sunderland terminate there? Doesn't one of the 35s terminate there? Doesn't sound like there's much there mind... not like the bustling metropolis of Fence Houses! Tongue
(16 Jun 2014, 8:25 pm)gtom wrote Which they won't. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to visit Dalton Park ahead of other facilities

I'm surprised Dalton Park even gets the interest that it does. Fair enough a few major brands have stores there - but you can find half a dozen times as many of those in the Metrocentre or Eldon Square.
Marxista Fozzski
(16 Jun 2014, 8:29 pm)Marcus wrote I'm surprised Dalton Park even gets the interest that it does. Fair enough a few major brands have stores there - but you can find half a dozen times as many of those in the Metrocentre or Eldon Square.

It's a discount outlet and, exactly the same as Royal Quays
(16 Jun 2014, 8:25 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Why Low Moorsley???, I have never seen anybody suggest anything for there...

I've posted it earlier in the thread, it was quite simply because if it terminated at Hetton it would get 20 mins layover! Or it could continue to South Hetton?
(16 Jun 2014, 8:33 pm)Marcus wrote Both Dalton Park and Royal Quays in my opinion aren't in the right areas for a start in order to get the amount of attention they hope for.

Are you joking? - Royal Quays is right next to the Ferry Terminal, so I'd imagine it would get a hell of a lot of business from there! Not to mention there is a waterpark and a hotel next to the outlett centre!

Yeah, of course it will increase footfall. These big organisations will have done their research prior to agreeing on building there.
They know the potential audience out there.
(16 Jun 2014, 8:25 pm)gtom wrote Which they won't. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to visit Dalton Park ahead of other facilities

Why would people living in say a five mile radius (possibly more in some directions) from Dalton Park travel elsewhere, when the extension is built?
The nearest alternative Morrisons is at Doxford Park. Asda have stores in Seaham and Peterlee with Tesco being the nearest alternative in the west. There isn't a 'microwave oven chain restaurant' for miles. McNasties is always busy, with different customer types at different types of the day.
Nearest cinema? Sunderland or Hartlepool.
(16 Jun 2014, 8:34 pm)Tom wrote Are you joking? - Royal Quays is right next to the Ferry Terminal, so I'd imagine it would get a hell of a lot of business from there! Not to mention there is a waterpark and a hotel next to the outlett centre!

But what if the people coming on the ferry have set their sights on the maze of opportunities offered by the Metrocentre? Tongue

I've only been a couple of times - and it doesn't seem too busy.
Marxista Fozzski
(16 Jun 2014, 8:33 pm)Marcus wrote Both Dalton Park and Royal Quays in my opinion aren't in the right areas for a start in order to get the amount of attention they hope for.

Well Dalton Park is doing something right, because it is certainly being used, it is busy most weekends and can be packed to the rafters if they have anything special on...

What do you mean, not in the right area, where should they be???
(16 Jun 2014, 8:37 pm)Marcus wrote But what if the people coming on the ferry have set their sights on the maze of opportunities offered by the Metrocentre? Tongue

I've only been a couple of times - and it doesn't seem too busy.

No, but what I'm saying is, there are plenty of opportunities for business from the ferry terminal. Even local people will probably visit after a game of bowling or going to the waterpark? Overall, I think Royal Quays attracts lots more visitors than Dalton Park, and Dalton Park has huge potential to! - Think about the effect on the business if a new cinema open? More people would be visiting the shops, therefore increased profit?
(16 Jun 2014, 8:38 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Well Dalton Park is doing something right, because it is certainly being used, it is busy most weekends and can be packed to the rafters if they have anything special on...

What do you mean, not in the right area, where should they be???

I just feel like, well, if The Bridges is dominating Sunderland, a major city in the region, why isn't there a shopping centre as big closer to Durham. I just feel like Dalton Park is bam in the middle of them, I know The Gate is quite popular in Durham City Centre, but for me there isn't much there.
Dalton Park is in the right place, well served by car users next to A19, this is why it has a large car parking areas, and Dalton Park is well served by public transport (Bus), You have service 202 from Peterlee, service 265 and Arriva 24 from Durham, and also service 61 from Sunderland. Peterlee,Durham and Sunderland are areas which are served by connecting bus services from different areas.

If you want to go to Dalton Park from Newcastle then you get service X9 to Peterlee then onto service 202 to Dalton Park, otherwise go by car.

I was told from the last MD at GNE that GNE would see after the completed Phases at Dalton Park finished before deciding to see if theres any further demand for increasing bus frequencies ( any potential passengers using the cinema etc.. on a evenings etc).

(16 Jun 2014, 8:40 pm)Tom wrote No, but what I'm saying is, there are plenty of opportunities for business from the ferry terminal. Even local people will probably visit after a game of bowling or going to the waterpark? Overall, I think Royal Quays attracts lots more visitors than Dalton Park, and Dalton Park has huge potential to! - Think about the effect on the business if a new cinema open? More people would be visiting the shops, therefore increased profit?

That's what I'm trying to say - if a big attraction like a Cinema or 5 Star Restaurant were to be opened in either Dalton Park or Royal Quays, then maybe a whirr of business would come in, and thus boost the whole outlet as a whole.