You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(21 Jun 2014, 4:32 pm)G-CPTN wrote What do they use in Sheffield?

(are there no hills in London?)

What about Muswell Hill?

I don't know. What do they use in Sheffield?

There are hills everywhere.

What about it?
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(21 Jun 2014, 4:32 pm)G-CPTN wrote What do they use in Sheffield?

(are there no hills in London?)

What about Muswell Hill?

First have a few ALX400s at Olive Grove. They can be quite unreliable to say the least. You'll find a fair few Plaxton/Transbus Presidents. They have a fair few Wright Eclipse Geminis, a lot of Wright Renowns, Wright Eclipse Urbans. Moreover they have just put into service a lot of Streetlites, including the Micro Hybrid variant.

Stagecoach: a lot of Alexander Dennis Enviro 400 Hybrids. Not a fan of these - used them on the 120/52 and lack the kick they need to contend with the hills in my opinion. They also have the regular Enviro 400s, Alexander Dennis ALX300s, a single SB220 (which is sounding a bit knackered at the moment), some SPDs, a lot of Enviro 200s, Optare Solos (usually on SuperTram Link).

Have to say, the Stagecoach fleet are in a lot better shape compared to First, however, they seem to be upping their game. The StreetLites in Sheffield seem to be fairing a lot better compared to the Drifter, from my experience.

Aircraft flown on:

744, 77W, 772, E145, E190, E170, E175, E195, A319, A320, A320NEO, A321, A321NEO, A330-200, A330-300, A340-600 763, 752, 733, 737, 738, CRJ900, CRJ1000
Favourite aircraft: G-STBL/G-ZBKL

(21 Jun 2014, 8:52 pm)8222 wrote First have a few ALX400s at Olive Grove. They can be quite unreliable to say the least. You'll find a fair few Plaxton/Transbus Presidents. They have a fair few Wright Eclipse Geminis, a lot of Wright Renowns, Wright Eclipse Urbans. Moreover they have just put into service a lot of Streetlites, including the Micro Hybrid variant.

Stagecoach: a lot of Alexander Dennis Enviro 400 Hybrids. Not a fan of these - used them on the 120/52 and lack the kick they need to contend with the hills in my opinion. They also have the regular Enviro 400s, Alexander Dennis ALX300s, a single SB220 (which is sounding a bit knackered at the moment), some SPDs, a lot of Enviro 200s, Optare Solos (usually on SuperTram Link).

Have to say, the Stagecoach fleet are in a lot better shape compared to First, however, they seem to be upping their game. The StreetLites in Sheffield seem to be fairing a lot better compared to the Drifter, from my experience.

The First StreetLites also have leather seating.

Aircraft flown on:

744, 77W, 772, E145, E190, E170, E175, E195, A319, A320, A320NEO, A321, A321NEO, A330-200, A330-300, A340-600 763, 752, 733, 737, 738, CRJ900, CRJ1000
Favourite aircraft: G-STBL/G-ZBKL

There are regions with steep hills - which require low gearing (high numerical axle ratios) and inter-city fast highways - which demand high gearing (low numerical axle ratios).
Where both hills and fast highways are endemic, it's easier to cope with more powerful (higher torque) engines (a good biggun will always beat a good littlun).

Six-speed double-overdrive gearbox ratios can extend the range of useful performance.

Less-powerful engines (torque-wise) will struggle when faced with both (hills and fast roads), and the wrong choice of axle/gearbox ratios will compound this 'weakness'.
(21 Jun 2014, 9:52 am)DaveyBowyer wrote In all honestly with you all, GNE should allocate it to the long TEN or as many as possible and do a performance rating against the B9TL. The real challenge will be a fully laden B5 between Prudhoe and Hexham. In fact, the only B9TL route that I would deem the B5 to be capable of handling would be the 310 so practically, none taking into account that it interworks with the 309. What they could do however is this:

- 6101 to Riverside for the TTX making it upto 7 B9TL'S.

- 6102 to 6111 at Percy Main plus 6116 (spare) for the 309 with a PVR of 10 and running every 15 minutes including between Whitley Bay and Blyth. Services 309 and 310 would no longer interwork.

- 7 plus one spare (6118 - 6125) Volvo B5TL's delivered to Percy Main for service 310 .

- 2 plus two spare (6126 - 6129) Volvo B5LH's delivered
to CLS to make up the PVR and spares for service 21.

- Therefore, 5 Volvo B9TL's (6112- 6115 & 6117), and 3 Volvo B7TL's (3962 - 3963 & 3965 have been released).

- 3962 would swap with 6116 with it only acting as a spare and 6099 and 6100 would swap with 3963 and 3965.

The above would mean the following:

- 8 Volvo B9TL's (6099, 6100, 6112, 6113, 6114, 6115, 6116 and 6117) would be for the Pronto X21.

- 10 Volvo B9TL's (6102 - 6111) plus one Volvo B7TL (3962) would be for Cobalt Clipper 309.

- 7 Volvo B5TL's plus one spare (6118 - 6125) would be for Cobalt Clipper 310.

- 2 Volvo B5LH's plus two spare (6126 - 6129) would join Angel service 21.

- 1 Volvo B9TL (6101) would join the TTX and the buggy bay would be removed with extra seats.

- 2 Volvo B7TL's (3963 and 3965) would now act as spares for the Fab 56.

won't happen Cobal Clipper brand has been updated with 6 month old vehicles that were delivered at the back end of December as with Fab Fifty Six and as for the Angel brand they have perfectly fine vehicles that stick to there route everyday TTX does not need new vehicles there fine as it is and as for Ten they have quality and fine vehicles Pronto will more than likely be getting newer vehicles in the future but not yet anyways if GNE need to order new vehicles they would look at finance cost and identify which routes to put them on thats why Demo's are there for to identify a perfect vehicle eg if the Laser for eg were to recieve an upgrade in the near future they will probs get deckers
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
Not particularly impressed by 9131. Didn't seem to have much go on the 11 yesterday, although there's not much chance to get going on much of that route - I didn't realise it wiggled around on such tiny roads, and it certainly doesn't suit or need deckers. It'll be interesting to see if it has enough power when it goes on X21. Also don't like the shallow top deck windows or cheap seats; nothing wrong with the staircase windows though. However, the old London/current Edinburgh style front destination is great, it's how destination displays should be, much clearer without the nonsensical scrolling of via points which no-one can be bothered to wait to read.
Wonder if anyone can help?

I have noticed that a few Percy Main buses have had their key card readers removed. Anyone any ideas why?

Currently on 3860 on the 9 and it lacks one. A few of the dual door Volvo's lack them too.
(22 Jun 2014, 8:50 am)morritt89 wrote Wonder if anyone can help?

I have noticed that a few Percy Main buses have had their key card readers removed. Anyone any ideas why?

Currently on 3860 on the 9 and it lacks one. A few of the dual door Volvo's lack them too.

They're slowly getting removed of all buses but the engineers will need to refit the bandit screens to allow access to the built in reader.
(22 Jun 2014, 7:30 am)Greg in Weardale wrote Not particularly impressed by 9131. Didn't seem to have much go on the 11 yesterday, although there's not much chance to get going on much of that route - I didn't realise it wiggled around on such tiny roads, and it certainly doesn't suit or need deckers. It'll be interesting to see if it has enough power when it goes on X21. Also don't like the shallow top deck windows or cheap seats; nothing wrong with the staircase windows though. However, the old London/current Edinburgh style front destination is great, it's how destination displays should be, much clearer without the nonsensical scrolling of via points which no-one can be bothered to wait to read.
I was on it on the 47 and 11 yesterday, full route from Eldon Square to Blackhall Mill and back (didn't realise it was that far out!!).

I personally like it, but it feels pretty similar to a B9TL. Assuming the B5TL is the cheaper option, I would like to see them on the 47/11 replacing the Eclipses and Renowns - however, there didn't seem to be a need for a decker on the route (excepting Eldon Square to Crawcrook).

I think, however, that on the short part of the 10 route the 47/11 covers, it handles it pretty well. I too would like to see them on the X21s, and I no doubt will do when it comes to that route!

I was pretty impressed with it - seemed a lot nicer than the other vehicles.
I say that, although the driver said to one of the passengers (confused that he was boarding a decker in different colours) that it's only broken down the once!!
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
(22 Jun 2014, 8:57 am)DaveyBowyer wrote Heads up if you're an old schooler like me and remember the card readers!

The ones for the cardboard Go n Save cards, that always jammed?

For 10 bonus #NEBpoints, can you remember the noise the machine made and tell us on here what that noise was?!
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(22 Jun 2014, 9:08 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote The ones for the cardboard Go n Save cards, that always jammed?

For 10 bonus #NEBpoints, can you remember the noise the machine made and tell us on here what that noise was?!

vzht beep vzht
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
(22 Jun 2014, 9:08 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote The ones for the cardboard Go n Save cards, that always jammed?

Is it the same noise that the Arriva machines make? I'm not sure if we're thinking of the same thing - but are these the big boxy machines that had strips for tickets?
(22 Jun 2014, 9:21 am)danpick wrote vzht beep vzht

Excellent!
Anyone else? Wink

(22 Jun 2014, 9:25 am)Marcus wrote Is it the same noise that the Arriva machines make? I'm not sure if we're thinking of the same thing - but are these the big boxy machines that had strips for tickets?

See DanPicks interpretation of the noise it made Big Grin

The positioning of the Go n Save machine, was positioned similar to the machines GNE use now.
The cards were made of cardboard and were pretty much the same as the Key Card - the difference being, you inserted it into the machine, rather than touch of swipe it.

With the cards being card board, they bent easily and one little kink in it, often rendered them useless - jamming the machines at times.
(22 Jun 2014, 9:31 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Excellent!
Anyone else? Wink

See DanPicks interpretation of the noise it made Big Grin

The positioning of the Go n Save machine, was positioned similar to the machines GNE use now.
The cards were made of cardboard and were pretty much the same as the Key Card - the difference being, you inserted it into the machine, rather than touch of swipe it.

With the cards being card board, they bent easily and one little kink in it, often rendered them useless - jamming the machines at times.

I've seen a photo of one, yeah Smile

I was thinking of one like this;

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/75698454@N...D_w_IS_all

I think that says 'Go 'n Save', doesn't it? That's what I was trying to describe Smile
(22 Jun 2014, 9:58 am)Michael wrote Haha i remember those machines

Same. Im sure they withdrew the 'Go 'n' Save' cards and replaced them with 'Buzzfare' cards which worked exactly the same. The machines were also changed.
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(22 Jun 2014, 9:45 am)Marcus wrote I've seen a photo of one, yeah Smile

I think that says 'Go 'n Save', doesn't it? That's what I was trying to describe Smile
Crikey - I'd forgotten about those.
Don't think I ever used one mind, but it's amazing what a photo can bring back.
(22 Jun 2014, 10:22 am)Dan wrote Crikey - I'd forgotten about those.
Don't think I ever used one mind, but it's amazing what a photo can bring back.

I can recall some of The Waggonway DAFs used to have something fitted inside their cab that looked awfully similar to the validator, even up until they were withdrawn.
(22 Jun 2014, 9:45 am)Marcus wrote I've seen a photo of one, yeah Smile

I cant open the link, it just takes me to the homepage.

But yeah, that is it (probably).

(22 Jun 2014, 10:25 am)Marcus wrote I can recall some of The Waggonway DAFs used to have something fitted inside their cab that looked awfully similar to the validator, even up until they were withdrawn.

Possibly to do with their previous existence as airport buses?
(22 Jun 2014, 10:26 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote I cant open the link, it just takes me to the homepage.

But yeah, that is it (probably).

Possibly to do with their previous existence as airport buses?

Maybe try typing in 'Go North East C522LJR Cab Interior'?

I forgot they were Airport Buses - I keep on getting that batch mixed up with the ones that were branded for the X66 Shuttles with the Deltas! Weren't they purchased from another company for something? I'll check for a photo on Flickr.
(22 Jun 2014, 10:31 am)Marcus wrote Maybe try typing in 'Go North East C522LJR Cab Interior'?

I forgot they were Airport Buses - I keep on getting that batch mixed up with the ones that were branded for the X66 Shuttles with the Deltas! Weren't they purchased from another company for something? I'll check for a photo on Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75698454@N...1836968621 Wink

(22 Jun 2014, 10:44 am)DaveyBowyer wrote Anyone know what noise this is? It's from one of the big three:

Be bm bm bm

Volvo Olympian?

edit: Cant be an Olympian. You said an Olympian goes'
Vroooooommmmmmmmmm
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(22 Jun 2014, 10:44 am)DaveyBowyer wrote Anyone know what noise this is? It's from one of the big three:

Be bm bm bm
Sounds like the start of a Scatman song. Big Grin
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(22 Jun 2014, 11:09 am)Kuyoyo wrote They're TGX200s actually Wink

150's/200's - who cares.
We just want to know what they sound like.
(22 Jun 2014, 11:15 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote 150's/200's - who cares.
We just want to know what they sound like.

They make all sorts of noises depending what's going wrong with them...

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Far too many DAF related nicness going on here

Those ex airport sheds should not be looked at with any sort of kind gaze