You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions

Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions
(22 Jun 2014, 9:00 pm)Dan wrote I'd imagine it'll have the day off.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Two of the six Pronto boards work onto the evening X46s. I am confident when I say that Crook will be told that they cannot allocate 9131 to these boards. They will be told that it can work any of the four remaining boards that run off onto an X46.

If it works out that 9131 is running late and it has been replaced at Bishop Auckland, it will simply move onto the next board which does not work onto the X46.

Three boards as there's a morning X46 too... and as far as I can work out is on a different one to the two evening runs.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Site Administrator
(22 Jun 2014, 9:05 pm)tyresmoke wrote Three boards as there's a morning X46 too... and as far as I can work out is on a different one to the two evening runs.

No, there's two.

The 0700am X46 operates the 1830pm X46 - passengers travelling onwards past Durham to Newcastle are transferred to an Angel on the 1745 X21 from Bishop Auckland.
(22 Jun 2014, 9:00 pm)Dan wrote am confident when I say that Crook will be told that they cannot allocate 9131 to these boards. They will be told that it can work any of the four remaining boards that run off onto an X46.

If it works out that 9131 is running late and it has been replaced at Bishop Auckland, it will simply move onto the next board which does not work onto the X46.

Why such an urgency not to use 9131 on X46?
(22 Jun 2014, 9:48 pm)Marcus wrote Because it's being trialled specifically for the X21

Which if purchased will also need to operate service X46...
Site Administrator
(23 Jun 2014, 6:24 am)Robert wrote Which if purchased will also need to operate service X46...

All I'm saying is if management want it on a board that does not operate service X46 - for whatever reason that may be - it will happen.
(23 Jun 2014, 6:35 am)Dan wrote All I'm saying is if management want it on a board that does not operate service X46 - for whatever reason that may be - it will happen.

I get what you're saying but me and others are just baffled as to why it cant be used on service X46 as it is part of the 'Pronto' brand, eventhough its here for the X21 and just the X21 (as you are suggesting the management team will do) it would be worth placing it onto the X46 at least once to at least get a rough idea of what its like but i cant see it been purchased anyway, the short stretch on the A1 is likely to kill it really quickly.
(23 Jun 2014, 6:46 am)Robert wrote I get what you're saying but me and others are just baffled as to why it cant be used on service X46 as it is part of the 'Pronto' brand, eventhough its here for the X21 and just the X21 (as you are suggesting the management team will do) it would be worth placing it onto the X46 at least once to at least get a rough idea of what its like but i cant see it been purchased anyway, the short stretch on the A1 is likely to kill it really quickly.

In total agreement with you and others on this.

Granted the x46 is just two runs a day, but it still forms part of a board (which if the vehicles are purchased) the b5 will be used on.
It seems pointless evaluating the vehicle for part of the route, but not all.

It may be a roaring success on the x21, but the runs on the x46 may kill it.

The only logical reason I can think of as to why it wont be used on the x46 - is that it is being kept away from prying eyes and as a result, is being stabled overnight at Chester.

On a different note: If manufacturers are going down the route and offering this underpowered type of engine, schedulers may have to add more running time into timetables.
Under the pretence that traffic is to blame Wink
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
i've heard a theory today that Washington are getting new buses for M2/M3 Solos, New vehicles for 35/35A/35B/35C, Laser Citaros to Lime which in turn Dan was right about Lime may recieve an investment
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
Site Administrator
(24 Jun 2014, 5:31 pm)Racer_Experience wrote i've heard a theory today that Washington are getting new buses for M2/M3 Solos, New vehicles for 35/35A/35B/35C, Laser Citaros to Lime which in turn Dan was right about Lime may recieve an investment

Services M2/M3 are currently operated by midi-sized vehicles. This was done to 'upgrade' the services in terms of capacity, as well as to keep the Cadets somewhat more local than before on the South Tyne (due to the fact they're renowned for their unreliability). I don't think we'll see Go North East downgrade services M2/M3 back down to mini-sized vehicles again - a backward step, don't you think?

Why bother with Citaro cascades for the Lime when it can justify direct investment? As for the Laser in general, although it was strongly suggested six months ago and pretty much has been ever since, something makes me think that GNE are holding off on investment for the Laser for now... The fact that the Volvo B5TL isn't in-line to be trialled on the Laser services at Deptford certainly reiterates this too.
(24 Jun 2014, 5:48 pm)Dan wrote Services M2/M3 are currently operated by midi-sized vehicles. This was done to 'upgrade' the services in terms of capacity, as well as to keep the Cadets somewhat more local than before on the South Tyne (due to the fact they're renowned for their unreliability). I don't think we'll see Go North East downgrade services M2/M3 back down to mini-sized vehicles again - a backward step, don't you think?

Why bother with Citaro cascades for the Lime when it can justify direct investment? As for the Laser in general, although it was strongly suggested six months ago and pretty much has been ever since, something makes me think that GNE are holding off on investment for the Laser for now... The fact that the Volvo B5TL isn't in-line to be trialled on the Laser services at Deptford certainly reiterates this too.

They could have a different bus inline for the laser?

Not sure what will appear next on demo for GNE
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Re: RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions
(24 Jun 2014, 5:48 pm)Dan wrote Services M2/M3 are currently operated by midi-sized vehicles. This was done to 'upgrade' the services in terms of capacity, as well as to keep the Cadets somewhat more local than before on the South Tyne (due to the fact they're renowned for their unreliability). I don't think we'll see Go North East downgrade services M2/M3 back down to mini-sized vehicles again - a backward step, don't you think?

...and bursting into flames. Big Grin
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

If it was the 9.7m Variant of the Solo SR, Then yes it maybe a Justifiable Replacement for the Cadets, only is with the SR's is they only have one Wheelchair Bay, So I think either Versas or Citaro K's would be a better option, and I wouldn't even bother buying Streetlites as they are just a Modern Day Cadet.
Site Administrator
(24 Jun 2014, 5:50 pm)Michael wrote They could have a different bus inline for the laser?

Possibly, but looking at the bigger picture, I'm still doubtful.

The Lime is pretty much guaranteed an upgrade this year. Currently it is strongly suggested that it will be through direct investment. The repainting of Volvo B10BLEs 4896-4902 in the "Lime" batch suggests that these vehicles will remain in the fleet this year, while the Volvo B10BLEs up to and including 4855 will be withdrawn (the 4896-4902 batch will assist with the withdrawal of any "Northern" branded B10BLEs in the batch under 4855).

If the dual-door B10BLEs aren't being replaced this year, then I'd suggest Go North East are perhaps looking at replacing all of them next year instead. The expected 'shell life' of the dual-door B10BLEs meant that they were expected to be withdrawn this year, with 4896 upwards due for withdrawal next year.

The Scania L94s are the most suitable replacement for Volvo B10BLEs. Next year, if Go North East decided to directly invest in the routes which Scania L94s are allocated to, or services which will allow cascades to free up Scania L94s, then next year's concentration could be on withdrawing all of the Volvo B10BLEs.
Doing it in little batches here and there over this year and next mightn't be the best way to approach the situation.

(24 Jun 2014, 6:04 pm)aureolin wrote ...and bursting into flames. Big Grin

That too! Wink

(24 Jun 2014, 6:07 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote If it was the 9.7m Variant of the Solo SR, Then yes it maybe a Justifiable Replacement for the Cadets, only is with the SR's is they only have one Wheelchair Bay, So I think either Versas or Citaro K's would be a better option, and I wouldn't even bother buying Streetlites as they are just a Modern Day Cadet.

I don't think we'll ever see Citaro Ks join the fleet.

When you consider the cost of the Citaro K when paired up with the capacity it provides, it works out much better just to provide a light-weight alternative instead.

I really don't think any of Go North East's midi-routes justify the cost of a Citaro K.
(24 Jun 2014, 6:08 pm)Marcus wrote Haha!

How many have gone up in smoke now? - 2?

I reckon you could use the same phrase when refering to Scanias, considering 4931 and 4949 have both spent a lot of time VOR due to engine fires?

The 2 cadets though were withdrawn and were badly burnt out the scanias were both repaired.
Site Administrator
(24 Jun 2014, 6:23 pm)Drifter60 wrote The 2 cadets though were withdrawn and were badly burnt out the scanias were both repaired.

As 8250 hasn't been officially sold yet, there's still scope for that one to be repaired (although I admit the chances are incredibly small). The other example was sold to Alpha pretty quickly.

The reason why the two Solars were repaired is due to the extent of their damage. If the extent of the damage is smaller, then the price to repair the vehicle would have also been smaller. If the cost of repairing them was more than they'd expect to gain from selling them when the time comes to withdraw them, then they too would have been sold for scrap.
(24 Jun 2014, 6:22 pm)Dan wrote Possibly, but looking at the bigger picture, I'm still doubtful.

The Lime is pretty much guaranteed an upgrade this year. Currently it is strongly suggested that it will be through direct investment. The repainting of Volvo B10BLEs 4896-4902 in the "Lime" batch suggests that these vehicles will remain in the fleet this year, while the Volvo B10BLEs up to and including 4855 will be withdrawn (the 4896-4902 batch will assist with the withdrawal of any "Northern" branded B10BLEs in the batch under 4855).

If the dual-door B10BLEs aren't being replaced this year, then I'd suggest Go North East are perhaps looking at replacing all of them next year instead. The expected 'shell life' of the dual-door B10BLEs meant that they were expected to be withdrawn this year, with 4896 upwards due for withdrawal next year.

The Scania L94s are the most suitable replacement for Volvo B10BLEs. Next year, if Go North East decided to directly invest in the routes which Scania L94s are allocated to, or services which will allow cascades to free up Scania L94s, then next year's concentration could be on withdrawing all of the Volvo B10BLEs.
Doing it in little batches here and there over this year and next mightn't be the best way to approach the situation.

The way things are shaping out, apart from the Lime, it looks like the Toonlink, Pronto and X66 which will get new buses this year.

That's me just taking a guess.

I also expect the duel door B10's in service until next year.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(24 Jun 2014, 6:08 pm)Marcus wrote Haha!

How many have gone up in smoke now? - 2?

I reckon you could use the same phrase when refering to Scanias, considering 4931 and 4949 have both spent a lot of time VOR due to engine fires?

and 4939 which caught fire before it arrived at GNE
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
(24 Jun 2014, 6:42 pm)aureolin wrote It'll be a shame when the last of the B10s leaves the fleet. Still enjoy these more than most modern vehicles.

Me too, the ones on the Lime are still doing great.

I used to travel on the 8, 2 days a week and they coped on the A19 and Washington highway.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(24 Jun 2014, 6:42 pm)aureolin wrote It'll be a shame when the last of the B10s leaves the fleet. Still enjoy these more than most modern vehicles.

Have a ride of 5170 and you'll be glad when that one is withdrawn.

I had a ride of 4924 back to Sunderland on the X36 the other night, and I must say that I much preferred it in comparison to the 52xx ex-Fab56 Fast Cats Solar I had a ride of on the morning, on the X35.
(24 Jun 2014, 6:44 pm)Michael wrote Me too, the ones on the Lime are still doing great.

I used to travel on the 8, 2 days a week and they coped on the A19 and Washington highway.

It'll be so strange not seeing them around at all - especially on the Lime. They are amongst my favourites in the fleet.
Re: RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions
(24 Jun 2014, 6:45 pm)Dan wrote Have a ride of 5170 and you'll be glad when that one is withdrawn.

I had a ride of 4924 back to Sunderland on the X36 the other night, and I must say that I much preferred it in comparison to the 52xx ex-Fab56 Fast Cats Solar I had a ride of on the morning, on the X35.
ex Oxford sh*te! Tongue

The original batch bought new is still solid. I wonder what the status of 4840 is? would be great to see it preserved.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
(24 Jun 2014, 6:48 pm)aureolin wrote ex Oxford sh*te! Tongue

The original batch bought new is still solid. I wonder what the status of 4840 is? would be great to see it preserved.

It's interesting that 4837-39 have been sold, but 4840 and 4848/49 haven't! Not sure why, mind...
(24 Jun 2014, 5:50 pm)Michael wrote They could have a different bus inline for the laser?

I have a feeling that providing the B5TL is unsuccessful then either the new E400 or Optare Metrodecker will be trialled as the Pronto is so desperate for an upgrade.
Site Administrator
(24 Jun 2014, 7:45 pm)Robert wrote I have a feeling that providing the B5TL is unsuccessful then either the new E400 or Optare Metrodecker will be trialled as the Pronto is so desperate for an upgrade.

I don't think there are any demonstrator E400MMC vehicles which are available for operators to actually use for a demonstration period?

There's the one which is going around the UK for a tour so that operators can get a feel for it for a few hours, but not for public service.

Likewise, don't think there are any MetroDeckers in production yet - nevermind ones which are available for use as demonstration vehicles? Could be wrong though.
stab in the dark here, why doesn't GNE take a leap into Stagecoach Megabus fleet (theres got to be some low floor coach deckers), would be ideal especially on the long runs on the X9/X10 along A19 with limited stopping, normal buses are not cutting it and if new normal buses arrive for X9/X10/X21 then the outcome is going to be the same a few years later