You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(26 Jun 2014, 9:52 pm)BJ10VUS wrote "Foist your way to Chester-le-Street up to every 30 minutes". Wonder if Davey has anything snappier? Tongue

Foist your eyes on this...

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(26 Jun 2014, 8:05 pm)marxistafozzski wrote And some Versas at Deptford still carry internal branding for the old 36

Shocking that!!! For gods sake get it changed to 39 and 61
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(26 Jun 2014, 11:21 pm)Acky81 wrote Shocking that!!! For gods sake get it changed to 39 and 61

Is the 39 supposed to be Simplicity, after all the Versas on 39's have had no branding for months
Site Administrator
(26 Jun 2014, 11:49 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Is the 39 supposed to be Simplicity, after all the Versas on 39's have had no branding for months

I still stand by what I said in April.

The first ever plan saw service 39 upgraded to Optare Versas at a 10 minute frequency across the whole route, under the "SimpliCity" brand.
Optare Versas 8320-24 had been allocated to service 61 on a stopgap basis after they were made redundant on service 36 (which saw service changes and a new allocation of DAF SB120/Wright Cadets). It was decided that, as passengers now recognised the brand name as "SimpliCity" for service 61, the Versas couldn't be taken away and allocated to another service, when red spares would be the only option available for service 61 (obviously thought to be lower quality vehicles than Versas).
As such, service 39 only had enough vehicles for the old 20 minute frequency across the whole route. This was re-instated, with the 10 minute frequency between Sunderland and Doxford Park replaced by service 29.

The vehicles have now been in plain purple since October/November 2013 - eight/nine months later, the vehicles still haven't been branded as "SimpliCity", as originally planned. That really does strongly suggest to me that they've got alternative plans for the Versas and that service 39 is being discussed to receive alternative vehicles. That said, I'm also of the opinion that they may have to settle for their original choice, as was the case with service 61, due to the fact customers now recognise the purple buses as being service 39.

For reference, including service 39, the entire "SimpliCity" network has a PVR of 15 - yet has no spare vehicles of the same vehicle type in red and no branded spare vehicles either. The "Cobalt Clipper" is the same, but has two red spares. Having such a high PVR with no spares doesn't work - to use an old favourite which has been making a comeback as of late: 'the brand is being diluted'.
I agree Dan, I think they must have plans for the Versas elsewhere but why it's taking so long I don't know. They only PVR I can think is the 5 or 67/69. Other than them too i really don't know where they could put the Versas as I'm struggling to think where else needs them and what could be used on service 39 instead- Versas are ideal for the route. GNE also doesn't understand that allocating higher quality vehicles for temporary periods get customers used to the new higher quality vehicles. The Versas allocated to the 61 were temporary but after 6? Months of using the Versas customers would see getting cadets back as step backwards and the same if anything else like cadets were now to be allocated to service 39.
Site Administrator
(27 Jun 2014, 9:15 am)Drifter60 wrote I agree Dan, I think they must have plans for the Versas elsewhere but why it's taking so long I don't know. They only PVR I can think is the 5 or 67/69. Other than them too i really don't know where they could put the Versas as I'm struggling to think where else needs them and what could be used on service 39 instead- Versas are ideal for the route. GNE also doesn't understand that allocating higher quality vehicles for temporary periods get customers used to the new higher quality vehicles. The Versas allocated to the 61 were temporary but after 6? Months of using the Versas customers would see getting cadets back as step backwards and the same if anything else like cadets were now to be allocated to service 39.

All I can suggest is that they're leaving it to be a movement as part of the 2014/15 financial year, opposed to the 2013/14 - if it does actually move away from service 39.

The new financial year begins from next month.
(27 Jun 2014, 9:08 am)Jimmi wrote 9131 is on the X21 in Durham heading to Newcastle.

Will leave Newcastle at 1105.

Just done it from Bishop to Newc. 9131 coped OK, no time lost due to the vehicle, but it was uninspiring, slower on hills than a TTX Gemini, but about the same as an ex-London Pronto.
But the seats are bloody uncomfortable, no padding, and unsuitable for anything more than a short suburban journey.
(27 Jun 2014, 10:26 am)Greg in Weardale wrote Just done it from Bishop to Newc. 9131 coped OK, no time lost due to the vehicle, but it was uninspiring, slower on hills than a TTX Gemini, but about the same as an ex-London Pronto.
But the seats are bloody uncomfortable, no padding, and unsuitable for anything more than a short suburban journey.
regarding the seats. I'd expect if an order was to be made, the seating would be the same spec as we've seen with previous Gemini orders.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
(27 Jun 2014, 11:02 am)aureolin wrote regarding the seats. I'd expect if an order was to be made, the seating would be the same spec as we've seen with previous Gemini orders.

Correct - if an order was placed, it would be to the specification of all other Volvo B9TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 2s (minus the initial "Red Arrows" batch) - and would include high backed seating, free Wi-Fi, with power sockets also being quite likely too. I doubt we'll see the stairway window either.
(27 Jun 2014, 11:54 am)Dan wrote Correct - if an order was placed, it would be to the specification of all other Volvo B9TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 2s (minus the initial "Red Arrows" batch) - and would include high backed seating, free Wi-Fi, with power sockets also being quite likely too. I doubt we'll see the stairway window either.

Can we have the front destination display though, please.
Site Administrator
(27 Jun 2014, 2:54 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote Can we have the front destination display though, please.
It has previously been suggested by citaro5284 that the destination display will be white, as per 5390.

There's no chance it will be in the Lothian style as per 9131 though.
Site Administrator
(27 Jun 2014, 3:16 pm)Tom wrote Noticed that 5171 is at Percy Main - any ideas why?

Was, not is. Tongue

[Image: 14538965933_3d272d19cc.jpg]Go North East: 5171 / W821FBW by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

It was back at Riverside again the yesterday as it spent the majority of the day parked up in Gateshead Interchange. Is out in service on the "Fab Fifty Seven" today, still with a broken side and rear destination display.
Site Administrator
(27 Jun 2014, 4:03 pm)Jimmi wrote 9131 was removed from Service X21 after performing the 1405 Newcastle - Bishop Auckland journey as it arrived in Bishop Auckland around 25 minutes late.

Left Gateshead about 10 minutes late.
Site Administrator
(27 Jun 2014, 4:12 pm)Jimmi wrote I know, I was on it, ended up taking 1 hour and 40 odd minutes to get from Newcastle to Bishop and I lost all sanity by the time I got there.

I pity you!
Only arrived into Gateshead towards Newcastle 8 minutes late - what happened?! An Angel which was at Gateshead with it ended up getting to Durham Rd back towards Durham about five minutes before 9131 arrived...
(27 Jun 2014, 4:13 pm)Dan wrote I pity you!
Only arrived into Gateshead towards Newcastle 8 minutes late - what happened?! An Angel which was at Gateshead with it ended up getting to Durham Rd back towards Durham about five minutes before 9131 arrived...

It arrived late and the X30 was on the stand so it had to pull onto the service 21 stand, it left about 10 minutes late. We had a ticket inspector between Gateshead and Chester. Because we pulled onto the wrong stand someone thought it was the 21 and wanted to get off near the Angel and they let her off at her stop. Got stuck in traffic coming onto Chester-le-Street Front Street. People were confused about the bus, some asking why it looked different. A wheelchair user boarded at Pity Me and got off at the University Hospital. Then it picked up loads of school kids and college students. We stopped at almost every stop between Durham and Bishop Auckland.

The late arrival meant I had to wait 20 minutes for service 5A home.
The driver on the earlier run must've been foot to the floor for the B5 to keep to time! The B9 does have problems at constant high speed but can cope with hills well though! They should've trialed 9131 on the long TEN with a direct comparison of the B9TL.
Site Administrator
(27 Jun 2014, 4:39 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote The driver on the earlier run must've been foot to the floor for the B5 to keep to time! The B9 does have problems at constant high speed but can cope with hills well though! They should've trialed 9131 on the long TEN with a direct comparison of the B9TL.

That would be great, but the reason why GNE have got it on trial is to test suitability for the routes which are down to receive investment this year...

On another note, VDL SB120/Wright Merit 8266 has been given a fresh coat of white paint at Saltmeadows ready for branding into its new livery.
(27 Jun 2014, 4:42 pm)Dan wrote That would be great, but the reason why GNE have got it on trial is to test suitability for the routes which are down to receive investment this year...

On another note, VDL SB120/Wright Merit 8266 has been given a fresh coat of white paint at Saltmeadows ready for branding into its new livery.

But GNE could compare the 2 vehicles directly by Quantitive measures such as timekeeping and breakdowns then Qualitative measures such as driver feedback.
(27 Jun 2014, 4:42 pm)Dan wrote On another note, VDL SB120/Wright Merit 8266 has been given a fresh coat of white paint at Saltmeadows ready for branding into its new livery.

Any idea what the branding will be liked, wasn't it said ages ago that it was to incorporate the X66 branding so it was the same?

Times change so that might not happen
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(27 Jun 2014, 4:57 pm)Michael wrote Any idea what the branding will be liked, wasn't it said ages ago that it was to incorporate the X66 branding so it was the same?

Times change so that might not happen

I couldn't imagine that the livery design would have changed from what it was suggested initially - obviously just a little bit smaller and more compact than the X66 design, and with 'S1' instead of 'X66'!
(27 Jun 2014, 5:00 pm)Dan wrote I couldn't imagine that the livery design would have changed from what it was suggested initially - obviously just a little bit smaller and more compact than the X66 design, and with 'S1' instead of 'X66'!

Think it will look good on the white.

Let's hope if the the X66 get's new buses... the branding isn't as bad as now!

Bring back the Centerlink Branding! Tongue
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(27 Jun 2014, 5:02 pm)Michael wrote Think it will look good on the white.

Let's hope if the the X66 get's new buses... the branding isn't as bad as now!

Bring back the Centerlink Branding! Tongue

I think that this is the best livery yet, apart from the Silver livery when Artics were first introduced on the route.
(27 Jun 2014, 4:37 pm)Jimmi wrote It arrived late and the X30 was on the stand so it had to pull onto the service 21 stand, it left about 10 minutes late. We had a ticket inspector between Gateshead and Chester. Because we pulled onto the wrong stand someone thought it was the 21 and wanted to get off near the Angel and they let her off at her stop. Got stuck in traffic coming onto Chester-le-Street Front Street. People were confused about the bus, some asking why it looked different. A wheelchair user boarded at Pity Me and got off at the University Hospital. Then it picked up loads of school kids and college students. We stopped at almost every stop between Durham and Bishop Auckland.

The late arrival meant I had to wait 20 minutes for service 5A home.

What was the pull like?
Did it manage to get away quickly from the stops and get some speed up on the a167?
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(27 Jun 2014, 5:05 pm)Robert wrote I think that this is the best livery yet, apart from the Silver livery when Artics were first introduced on the route.

I thought that was the CentreLink branding? Am right in thinking that we're both thinking of them when they first entered service on the route in Silver?