You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(09 Jul 2014, 6:06 pm)nk55 wrote Turns at roundabout where the X25 comes out of portmeads. Hope that helps.

That's a bit of a trek!
(09 Jul 2014, 6:45 pm)gtom wrote That's a bit of a trek!

About 2-3 mins if both sets of lights aren't against ya.
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(09 Jul 2014, 6:01 pm)Michael wrote Service 265 - Durham Miners' Gala

On Saturday we'll be duplicating the following journeys on our 265 service for Durham Miners' Gala.

Murton to Durham - 09:20, 10:20, 11:20 & 12:20.

Durham Claypath to Murton - 17:18 & 18:21.

Will have to keep a look out for this on Saturday, wonder what vehicles they will use to duplicate the 265, must be the first time they have duped the 265, they certainly did not when I last went 2 years ago...

Wonder what Arriva will have on the Park and Ride, it looked like Pulsars at the 2012 Big Meeting
(09 Jul 2014, 8:11 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Will have to keep a look out for this on Saturday, wonder what vehicles they will use to duplicate the 265, must be the first time they have duped the 265, they certainly did not when I last went 2 years ago...

Wonder what Arriva will have on the Park and Ride, it looked like Pulsars at the 2012 Big Meeting

Pleased to see more seats available.

Just me like, but wonder why they are duping the runs and not adding bigger vehicles?
The only reason I can think of is down to the 'units' and the 265 being worked by a low cost unit - with all the implications or complications there may be if another depot used vehicles and drivers on a Peterlee run.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Marxista Fozzski
(09 Jul 2014, 8:23 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Pleased to see more seats available.

Just me like, but wonder why they are duping the runs and not adding bigger vehicles?
The only reason I can think of is down to the 'units' and the 265 being worked by a low cost unit - with all the implications or complications there may be if another depot used vehicles and drivers on a Peterlee run.

I don't know why they could not just utilise bigger vehicles, I have seen 6008, 6020, 6099, 6100 used on the PM College/School run and seen a Laser Scani on there, so it would make sense to use a bigger vehicle
(09 Jul 2014, 8:23 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Pleased to see more seats available.

It's all in the interworking which makes adding bigger buses a problem, whereas the dupe is a much better solution as it gives the extra seats to give folk a comfy journey and its cost effective as its 1 driver/1 bus shift.

It'll be because the buses interwork. ie. 202-265-204-208. So it'll mean using bigger buses on all services, which isn't practical due to small roads/estates on 204 and even the 208 at points. Or changing the boards which will probably increase PVR and times may not work out.
I assume a Deptford decker may be used in case of big loads, although it could just be a solar, as it'll still provide a nice increase. I assume last year the MPDs were packed, as in previous years Chester would of allocated big buses to the 65 to combat loadings.

Busman101 seems to have beat me to it!
Marxista Fozzski
(09 Jul 2014, 8:41 pm)Drifter60 wrote It'll be because the buses interwork. ie. 202-265-204-208. So it'll mean using bigger buses on all services, which isn't practical due to small roads/estates on 204 and even the 208 at points. Or changing the boards which will probably increase PVR and times may not work out.
I assume a Deptford decker may be used in case of big loads, although it could just be a solar, as it'll still provide a nice increase. I assume last year the MPDs were packed, as in previous years Chester would of allocated big buses to the 65 to combat loadings.

Both Deptford and Chester allocated Deckers to the 65 every day, normally 3944/45/46 and it stayed that way years, only difference being on a night/sunday Deptford allocated a Versa or MPD and it interworked with the 60 and Chester would allocate a MPD or SPD on a night/Sunday.

It makes sense to dupe it when I take interworking into account, might have a look out on Saturday to see what vehicles is used on it
(09 Jul 2014, 8:50 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Both Deptford and Chester allocated Deckers to the 65 every day, normally 3944/45/46 and it stayed that way years, only difference being on a night/sunday Deptford allocated a Versa or MPD and it interworked with the 60 and Chester would allocate a MPD or SPD on a night/Sunday.

It makes sense to dupe it when I take interworking into account, might have a look out on Saturday to see what vehicles is used on it

Yeah I questioned myself the logic from decker to MPD when it became the 265! Although loadings never totally justified a decker all the time, full single decker I would of thought so.
Anyways speaking of 3946 on 154 going back a few years, https://www.flickr.com/photos/27204054@N07/3254236720/. Credit Peter Barclay.
(09 Jul 2014, 8:38 pm)busman101 wrote It's all in the interworking which makes adding bigger buses a problem, whereas the dupe is a much better solution as it gives the extra seats to give folk a comfy journey and its cost effective as its 1 driver/1 bus shift.

You started off great and it ended great - but that section about giving folk a comfy journey confused me.
Cos comfy and MPD are like chalk and cheese Wink
Marxista Fozzski
(09 Jul 2014, 9:04 pm)Drifter60 wrote Yeah I questioned myself the logic from decker to MPD when it became the 265! Although loadings never totally justified a decker all the time, full single decker I would of thought so.
Anyways speaking of 3946 on 154 going back a few years, https://www.flickr.com/photos/27204054@N07/3254236720/. Credit Peter Barclay.

It never justified decker use throughout, The only time it justified a decker was what one driver once called The Hollyoaks Runs, the AM and PM college runs, during the day a Scania would have been enough

(09 Jul 2014, 9:11 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote You started off great and it ended great - but that section about giving folk a comfy journey confused me.

MPD and Comfy is 2 words I never thought I would see in the same sentence, some of them are so uncomfortable, especially 619, sitting on hard plastic, and it always gives me a bad back
(09 Jul 2014, 9:04 pm)Drifter60 wrote Yeah I questioned myself the logic from decker to MPD when it became the 265! Although loadings never totally justified a decker all the time, full single decker I would of thought so.

I think double deckers were used due to weekday peak time loadings, probably why they are still use double deckers at peak times.

Seems the same deal with the 13/14 and 15/15A as they need double deckers at peak times but could get away with single deckers for the rest of the day.
(09 Jul 2014, 9:18 pm)Jimmi wrote I think double deckers were used due to weekday peak time loadings, probably why they are still use double deckers at peak times.

Seems the same deal with the 13/14 and 15/15A as they need double deckers at peak times but could get away with single deckers for the rest of the day.

Part of their advertising at the time of the 65 being introduced, was focussed on the route being low floor and having a bigger capacity.
It had nowt to do with the stack of spare deckers which were kicking about Wink
(09 Jul 2014, 9:11 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote You started off great and it ended great - but that section about giving folk a comfy journey confused me.

Story of my life that like !!!

Anyhoo - I never mentioned anything about an MPD........... Although they aren't too bad on a short hop and it'll be more comfortable than it was last year as they had some pretty big loads for a little bus
Marxista Fozzski
(09 Jul 2014, 9:25 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [b]Part of their advertising at the time of the 65 being introduced, was focussed on the route being low floor and having a bigger capacity.[b]
It had nowt to do with the stack of spare deckers which were kicking about Wink

And of course 3944/45/46 were not low floor, we only saw low floor buses on a night and weekends
(10 Jul 2014, 8:06 am)marxistafozzski wrote And of course 3944/45/46 were not low floor, we only saw low floor buses on a night and weekends

It was after those vehicles were removed the 65 was introduced (and low floor vehicles too).
Prestiges and then Presidents if I remember right - pretty much spare stock from the 21 getting the Omni's.
Marxista Fozzski
(10 Jul 2014, 8:10 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote It was after those vehicles were removed the 65 was introduced (and low floor vehicles too).
Prestiges and then Presidents if I remember right - pretty much spare stock from the 21 getting the Omni's.

The 65 went fully low floor in 2011 or 2012...I was actually gutted when 3944/45/46 was binned, they were good buses, I never saw a problem with them for years, and although they were too big for the 65, they were well suited to the route and was only off once or twice in the time I went to Durham everyday
I think something needs to be done with the 307 - it is probably making a loss, and the 51 takes all the passenger as it runs 10 minutes in front. Today, it only had 2 passengers departing St Mary's Place, and all looked to be concessionary card holders! Surely thats a loss of profit?
(10 Jul 2014, 8:17 am)marxistafozzski wrote The 65 went fully low floor in 2011 or 2012...I was actually gutted when 3944/45/46 was binned, they were good buses, I never saw a problem with them for years, and although they were too big for the 65, they were well suited to the route and was only off once or twice in the time I went to Durham everyday

Honestly thought it was before then.
I used to see the service on a regular basis (using it a few times), when doing some work for a company on Hetton Lyons.

Must be getting mixed up with the dates.

(10 Jul 2014, 1:29 pm)Tom wrote I think something needs to be done with the 307 - it is probably making a loss, and the 51 takes all the passenger as it runs 10 minutes in front. Today, it only had 2 passengers departing St Mary's Place, and all looked to be concessionary card holders! Surely thats a loss of profit?

I cant be helping profits that's for sure!
Site Administrator
(10 Jul 2014, 1:36 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote I cant be helping profits that's for sure!

Either the 307 is being self-subsidised by the 17 and scholar service which the 307 interworks with, or they're missing out on revenue and we'll be likely to see changes ASAP...

At the moment I think it'll be the former option, though if the scholar service is boosting the 307 quite a lot (which admittedly I doubt), we'll probably see changes sooner rather than later, what with that scholar run being non-existent until September from the end of next week.
(10 Jul 2014, 4:04 pm)Dan wrote Either the 307 is being self-subsidised by the 17 and scholar service which the 307 interworks with, or they're missing out on revenue and we'll be likely to see changes ASAP...

At the moment I think it'll be the former option, though if the scholar service is boosting the 307 quite a lot (which admittedly I doubt), we'll probably see changes sooner rather than later, what with that scholar run being non-existent until September from the end of next week.

It used to be a decent service until the 51 came in.
Site Administrator
(10 Jul 2014, 4:05 pm)Tom wrote It used to be a decent service until the 51 came in.

A vicious circle.

The OK1 was axed due to growing ANE competition, which was followed by a competing express service Newcastle - Hexham which has seen passenger numbers drop massively on ANE's 685, and now this.

I'd expect GNE to bite back. They usually do.
(10 Jul 2014, 4:09 pm)Dan wrote A vicious circle.

The OK1 was axed due to growing ANE competition, which was followed by a competing express service Newcastle - Hexham which has seen passenger numbers drop massively on ANE's 685, and now this.

I'd expect GNE to bite back. They usually do.

How are they meant to bite back, though?
Must say, I reckon something will be done with the 685. Most of the passengers are OAPs, and it probably is making a loss.
(10 Jul 2014, 4:09 pm)Dan wrote a competing express service Newcastle - Hexham which has seen passenger numbers drop massively on ANE's 685.

Yes, GNE run two per hour (X84/X85) between Hexham and Newcastle and run to timetable as they don't have to come from Carlisle. One (X85) runs largely direct along A69 whilst the A84 runs through the villages (Wylam, Ovington and Ovingham) - replacing the 687, which now shuttles between Hexham and Corbridge.

Clever move by GNE.

With routes coming up for reallocation soon, it'll be interesting to see what Arriva and Stagecoach do.

If Arriva and Stagecoach pull the plug it will leave a void between Hexham and Carlisle - I suppose Stagecoach could plug the gap.
The train service is sparse west of Hexham (2 hourly I believe).
Site Administrator
(10 Jul 2014, 4:24 pm)Tom wrote How are they meant to bite back, though?
Must say, I reckon something will be done with the 685. Most of the passengers are OAPs, and it probably is making a loss.

Who could have predicted a new express service between Newcastle and Hexham?

GNE will do their research and if ANE are neglecting some passengers and they have the resources to be able to bite back by setting up a competing service in that area in the hope that they'll snatch some of the passengers, they'll do it.

ANE will do the same back to GNE if they do actually end up doing something. Like I say, vicious circle.
I dunno if im wrong but when the X8 got scrapped in 2012 the 307 seemed to pick up,but then they did summit with the times that has basically dropped its numbers then the 51 came and totally ruined it,course the advantage arriva have is that the 51 runs all day to town until i think 6.30/7,whilst the last 307 is 3/3.30 ish from asda
Service change for service X31 from September 2nd:

Due to Scholars service 830 been withdrawn, several connections around Catchgate will be lost but for the people who dont wish to use service 823, the X31 will now serve St Bedes school on a morning at 8:18 as well as the evening. To cover ground lost on the other half of the route, Scholars service 825 will be extended to serve Flint Hill, Tantobie and Tanfield Lea before doing its current route between Stanley Bus Station and St Bedes via South Stanley, Hollyhill Gardens, South Moor and New Kyo. All of these changes will happen from the first day of the 2014-2015 academic year.
(10 Jul 2014, 4:26 pm)Dan wrote Who could have predicted a new express service between Newcastle and Hexham?

GNE will do their research and if ANE are neglecting some passengers and they have the resources to be able to bite back by setting up a competing service in that area in the hope that they'll snatch some of the passengers, they'll do it.

ANE will do the same back to GNE if they do actually end up doing something. Like I say, vicious circle.

The 685 was a terrible service, but since GNE introduced it seems to have got better - but too late.

The 307 often ran about 10 minutes late, so the 51 was welcomed by passengers.
X84/X85 seem really popular, but I've only used it twice each way. Both in the last fortnight. I had noticed that there is very little movement with alighting out of Newcastle on both services. My trip on both the X84 and X85 actually had no alighting until Corbridge. The way back is a different story. Although I only used the X85 twice to travel back, I had noticed that it tends to pick passengers up all the way to Heddon travelling on to Newcastle. The only concern I had is that although the services were really popular (27 on one trip), the most fare paying customers picked up in a single trip was 4.

I don't think competition is a vicious circle mind, and I think the creation of the X84/X85 may back that up? We arguably wouldn't have the service if GNE didn't see a gap in the market. In this case Arriva not looking after their customers.

I do think at the same time though that GNE have neglected customers in North Sunderland and Co. Durham for example. North Sunderland has been chopped and changed more times than a butcher's meat cleaver, and even had things like SimpliCity thrown at it. Customers have remained loyal to Stagecoach though it would seem? Perhaps something Stagecoach are doing right? I don't know. County Durham is a similar story, and customers are quite heavily under-served. Sure enough there's the angel and Prince Bishops services, which are quality services in my opinion. Problem is though that it only goes into Durham Bus Station. There's no connection so customers living in Durham can't really take advantage of them.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(10 Jul 2014, 6:03 pm)aureolin wrote X84/X85 seem really popular, but I've only used it twice each way. Both in the last fortnight. I had noticed that there is very little movement with alighting out of Newcastle on both services. My trip on both the X84 and X85 actually had no alighting until Corbridge. The way back is a different story. Although I only used the X85 twice to travel back, I had noticed that it tends to pick passengers up all the way to Heddon travelling on to Newcastle. The only concern I had is that although the services were really popular (27 on one trip), the most fare paying customers picked up in a single trip was 4.

I don't think competition is a vicious circle mind, and I think the creation of the X84/X85 may back that up? We arguably wouldn't have the service if GNE didn't see a gap in the market. In this case Arriva not looking after their customers.

I do think at the same time though that GNE have neglected customers in North Sunderland and Co. Durham for example. North Sunderland has been chopped and changed more times than a butcher's meat cleaver, and even had things like SimpliCity thrown at it. Customers have remained loyal to Stagecoach though it would seem? Perhaps something Stagecoach are doing right? I don't know. County Durham is a similar story, and customers are quite heavily under-served. Sure enough there's the angel and Prince Bishops services, which are quality services in my opinion. Problem is though that it only goes into Durham Bus Station. There's no connection so customers living in Durham can't really take advantage of them.

The 685 is normally quite busy between Hexham and Newcastle, but between Newcastle and Hexham it's quiet. When I caught a Stagecoach service (1428 dep) but it was only be a two other people who were fare paying passengers from Hexham to Newcastle. I paid £2.35 from Hexham to Newcastle, someone else paid £4.75 from Hexham to Newcastle, then someone £3.25 between Heddon and Newcastle. Most of the other ones were OAPs with a few Arriva Triple Tickets boarding (they were obviously allowed because the driver keyed in ''Use Arriva''). So the total cash for that was £10.30 so not bad really.

Going from Newcastle to Hexham was a different story. I was the only fare paying passenger from Newcastle (I paid £2.50) until Corbridge where a child paid £1.20 to Hexham. So thats only £3.70.