You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

RE: Arriva North East - Latest
(12 Jul 2014, 9:18 am)aureolin wrote I tend to use it every so often, and its pretty much dead. Never seen it in double figures anyway.

Cheers, a bit like the X2 then.
(12 Jul 2014, 9:18 am)aureolin wrote I tend to use it every so often, and its pretty much dead. Never seen it in double figures anyway.

Alot of the time it is dead, but some journeys can be busy, like last Saturday I got the 1110 journey to the Metrocentre and it was very busy and many of the passengers were fare paying customers, many children. Would be better if it still ran during term time as during the school holidays when the service does run people are not sure if it is running as not everyone knows when the school holidays are, also not helped by the next buses screens often don't display the X24 in the holidays but it was displaying it during term time the other week.
1512 is currently parked up at Stockton Cycling Festival alongside Cleveland Police giving safe cycling advice.

(12 Jul 2014, 11:00 am)Jimmi wrote Alot of the time it is dead, but some journeys can be busy, like last Saturday I got the 1110 journey to the Metrocentre and it was very busy and many of the passengers were fare paying customers, many children. Would be better if it still ran during term time as during the school holidays when the service does run people are not sure if it is running as not everyone knows when the school holidays are, also not helped by the next buses screens often don't display the X24 in the holidays but it was displaying it during term time the other week.

Used it yesterday from the Metrocentre to Birtley. The driver knew what my pass was (Nexus CAT) for once, and a lot of the passengers seemed to be fare paying. The lass in front of me was charged £2.30 to Birtley, which is 90p cheaper than GNE! There was about twenty passengers all together which is fairly good.

Then I got the X2 to Newcastle which was running 15 minutes late, and I was the only passenger on until Harlow Green. Not good enough really.
Site Administrator
(13 Jul 2014, 11:56 am)Tom wrote Used it yesterday from the Metrocentre to Birtley. The driver knew what my pass was (Nexus CAT) for once, and a lot of the passengers seemed to be fare paying. The lass in front of me was charged £2.30 to Birtley, which is 90p cheaper than GNE! There was about twenty passengers all together which is fairly good.

Then I got the X2 to Newcastle which was running 15 minutes late, and I was the only passenger on until Harlow Green. Not good enough really.

It'll be one of those services that doesn't have a set amount of passengers - it'll completely fluctuate. Services X22 and X88 are quite similar too, from what I've seen of them arriving and departing at Metrocentre.

I also suspect that service 307 may be quite similar, given that you've seen it with very few passengers but aureolin has seen the opposite.
(13 Jul 2014, 12:04 pm)Dan wrote It'll be one of those services that doesn't have a set amount of passengers - it'll completely fluctuate. Services X22 and X88 are quite similar too, from what I've seen of them arriving and departing at Metrocentre.

I also suspect that service 307 may be quite similar, given that you've seen it with very few passengers but aureolin has seen the opposite.

Aye, I suppose you are right.
Also, was anything going on in North Shields yesterday? The 306 was absolutely heaving about 11 o'clock. The whole of 7458 was full, with standees!
Site Administrator
(13 Jul 2014, 12:06 pm)Tom wrote Aye, I suppose you are right.
Also, was anything going on in North Shields yesterday? The 306 was absolutely heaving about 11 o'clock. The whole of 7458 was full, with standees!

Er... use my logic when I see a bus like that...

Last one broke down! Tongue
(13 Jul 2014, 12:11 pm)Dan wrote Er... use my logic when I see a bus like that...

Last one broke down! Tongue

Ah! The Mouth of the Tyne festival was on! Just checked!
Site Administrator
(13 Jul 2014, 12:12 pm)Tom wrote Ah! The Mouth of the Tyne festival was on! Just checked!

Ah, shite.

That wasn't the one GNE were doing a shuttle for, was it?
(13 Jul 2014, 12:15 pm)Dan wrote Ah, shite.

That wasn't the one GNE were doing a shuttle for, was it?

Yeah it was. Arriva were too from the ferry to the festival. Completely forgot about that.
Site Administrator
(13 Jul 2014, 12:15 pm)Tom wrote Yeah it was. Arriva were too from the ferry to the festival. Completely forgot about that.

So did I.

Doesn't help that each year these shuttle services seem to be so under-advertised.
(13 Jul 2014, 12:18 pm)Dan wrote So did I.

Doesn't help that each year these shuttle services seem to be so under-advertised.

Aye I didn't seen anything on the GNE or Arriva website.
Site Administrator
(13 Jul 2014, 12:19 pm)Tom wrote Aye I didn't seen anything on the GNE or Arriva website.

Managed to find this, but still limited details.
Think I'll pop over on the next 9 to North Shields, and get a Coaster over there... See what the crack is!
.png tynemouth.PNG
(13 Jul 2014, 11:56 am)Tom wrote Then I got the X2 to Newcastle which was running 15 minutes late, and I was the only passenger on until Harlow Green. Not good enough really.

The X2 usually does okay when its on time, but when its running late it does lose passengers to GNE.

I think the X24 would do better if it stopped at all stops between Durham and Birtley like the X22.
(13 Jul 2014, 7:20 pm)Tom wrote Does anyone know if the 508 and 714 will be running this year?

No, funding for then has already gone.
(13 Jul 2014, 7:24 pm)Kuyoyo wrote No, funding for then has already gone.

Ah thats a shame - wonder if they'll make a return next year?
Not sure if everyone remembers but Jeff Tattersall used to use log sheets when doing the company "audits" of which buses were on which service... I've put one together for Arriva NE - updated to 20th July changes (as far as I know)... See attached
.pdf ANE Log Sheet.pdf

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(14 Jul 2014, 1:18 pm)tyresmoke wrote Not sure if everyone remembers but Jeff Tattersall used to use log sheets when doing the company "audits" of which buses were on which service... I've put one together for Arriva NE - updated to 20th July changes (as far as I know)... See attached

At least that clears up the fact that the 43, 44 and 45 interwork.
Great work Scott.
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Arriva North East - Latest
(14 Jul 2014, 3:59 pm)Tom wrote Does anyone know what works the X85, and additional 85 (at 1710).
X85 interworks with the 685, doesn't it? Sure that's the one that runs light to Carlisle from Hexham.

Additional 85 is Pulsar op'd - think it runs off the 306. It's thrown up deckers in the past too.
(14 Jul 2014, 4:03 pm)Dan wrote X85 interworks with the 685, doesn't it? Sure that's the one that runs light to Carlisle from Hexham.

Additional 85 is Pulsar op'd - think it runs off the 306. It's thrown up deckers in the past too.

The 1720 departure from Newcastle (sorry, should have said)
Optare Solo 2845 is now painted all over silver in preparation for branding. Services 46, 52/53 and 553 are to be branded over the next 2 weeks, I believe to highlight the hospital links provided in partnership with NHS.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Site Administrator
(14 Jul 2014, 5:03 pm)tyresmoke wrote Optare Solo 2845 is now painted all over silver in preparation for branding. Services 46, 52/53 and 553 are to be branded over the next 2 weeks, I believe to highlight the hospital links provided in partnership with NHS.

Ah, so that answers Tom's question from a few days ago! I was going to include the repaint in the news given that it had been noted here, but didn't fancy doing it until we had the reason confirmed.