You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(05 Jul 2014, 12:37 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Do Arriva provide some kind of service in Durham, Bishop and Darlington for the hospitals

Yes they do although those Hospital Shuttle solos can appear on the Darlington Locals.
Classic have the contract for the NHS Newcastle Trust staff shuttles atm (Hopper they call it)

Runs RVI - Freeman & RVI - General (Ageing Campus)
Site Administrator
(05 Jul 2014, 2:49 pm)gtom wrote Classic have the contract for the NHS Newcastle Trust staff shuttles atm (Hopper they call it)

Runs RVI - Freeman & RVI - General (Ageing Campus)

Did that one not pass to Arriva earlier this year when they gained a Solo from Classic?

I remember something being said about a Classic hospital service going to Arriva, I'm sure of it... Tongue
(05 Jul 2014, 2:51 pm)Dan wrote Did that one not pass to Arriva earlier this year when they gained a Solo from Classic?

I remember something being said about a Classic hospital service going to Arriva, I'm sure of it... Tongue

Yes Dan this service is now operated by Jesmond using Solo 2503 (when it is on the road, any Solo normally!) - due to be replaced in a few weeks with changes to the 46 and the new 553

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(04 Jul 2014, 10:23 pm)aureolin wrote It's not a teaching specific union. They are taking their members out though, as are Unite (public sector), PCS, NIPSA and the FBU.

I know we've steered well off topic, but there's Durham County Council staff on strike too as the Riverside Athletics track is shut next Thursday too
Like some of your ideas,however maybe make 343 the 16 so it would be 16/17 to cramlington,not sure about the 305 though,dont think it would make up the required numbers,unfortunately,i think the 307 would have to stay,due to it working with the 17 and scholars buses,you could keep the 58 as it is but back to every 10 mins not 20 to tynemouth,would this be an all day service or stop after a certain time?
(13 Jul 2014, 10:27 pm)V514DFT wrote Like some of your ideas,however maybe make 343 the 16 so it would be 16/17 to cramlington,not sure about the 305 though,dont think it would make up the required numbers,unfortunately,i think the 307 would have to stay,due to it working with the 17 and scholars buses,you could keep the 58 as it is but back to every 10 mins not 20 to tynemouth,would this be an all day service or stop after a certain time?

The 305 would replace the 58 and parts of the 310 between Hadrian Park, Battle Hill, High Farm / Mullen Road and Newcastle. The key selling point of the 58 is that it runs every 10 minutes equally between Billy Mill and Newcastle, not 00, 05, 15, 20, 30, 35, 45, 50 leaving uneven gaps between two services. That is also why the 305 would be introduced to give an even service of upto every 4-6 mins between Battle Hill and Newcastle to combat the issue of the 310 running 6 mins behind the 309 due to the detour via High Farm.
Was thinking about a new Saturday service from Newcastle to Beamish direct, interworking with the 128 so it can be operated by Chester?
Anyone have any suggestions on what route it could take?
(16 Jul 2014, 9:00 pm)Tom wrote Was thinking about a new Saturday service from Newcastle to Beamish direct, interworking with the 128 so it can be operated by Chester?

Suppose there is the need to find the balance between making it quicker than the 28/28a and still picking up passengers along the way - without duplicating the 21 for the majority of the route.

In other words - no idea which way would be best! Wink
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(16 Jul 2014, 9:04 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Suppose there is the need to find the balance between making it quicker than the 28/28a and still picking up passengers along the way - without duplicating the 21 for the majority of the route.

In other words - no idea which way would be best! Wink

I was thinking Beamish-Chester via the 8 or 28 route, then via Washington, then direct to Newcastle?
(16 Jul 2014, 9:00 pm)Tom wrote Was thinking about a new Saturday service from Newcastle to Beamish direct, interworking with the 128 so it can be operated by Chester?

Routing any potential service between Beamish and Newcastle via Chester and Washington eliminates any sense of 'directness' that the bus may offer. It would probably take just as much time as services 28 & 28a between those two points.

Surely, the most direct route is Beamish - Hill Top (East Stanley) - Sunniside - Lobley Hill - A1 - A184 - (Gateshead) - Newcastle if the route of service 21 is not to be duplicated.
(17 Jul 2014, 5:16 pm)AdamY wrote Routing any potential service between Beamish and Newcastle via Chester and Washington eliminates any sense of 'directness' that the bus may offer. It would probably take just as much time as services 28 & 28a between those two points.

Surely, the most direct route is Beamish - Hill Top (East Stanley) - Sunniside - Lobley Hill - A1 - A184 - (Gateshead) - Newcastle if the route of service 21 is not to be duplicated.

But then you have more or less duplicated the x30/31 and x70 - with it probably being quicker than those, it would end up picking up passengers from those services between the town and Sunniside etc.

Does anyone know if the 128 picks up stragglers from the 43/44?
(17 Jul 2014, 5:20 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote But then you have more or less duplicated the x30/31 and x70 - with it probably being quicker than those, it would end up picking up passengers from those services between the town and Sunniside etc.

Does anyone know if the 128 picks up stragglers from the 43/44?

True.

But the service will be Saturday-only if it's going to interwork with service 128 which means it will have a rather minimal affect on the services you mention.

Another suggestion would be to extend service X43 from Stanley to Beamish (and also from Metrocentre to Newcastle Central Station) on Saturdays with both legs of the extension operating as a non-stop service.
(17 Jul 2014, 5:40 pm)AdamY wrote True.

But the service will be Saturday-only if it's going to interwork with service 128 which means it will have a rather minimal affect on the services you mention.

Another suggestion would be to extend service X43 from Stanley to Beamish (and also from Metrocentre to Newcastle Central Station) on Saturdays with both legs of the extension operating as a non-stop service.

Then you are potentially duplicating the 43/44 with a Newcastle - Durham service.

The x43 idea could work
(17 Jul 2014, 5:45 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Then you are potentially duplicating the 43/44 with a Newcastle - Durham service.

The x43 idea could work

Again, you're right, however the interworking of services was not my idea - just an expansion on the original suggestion.

I would much prefer the service to operate stand-alone much as service 128 does already.

Direct services between Newcastle and Beamish have been tried in the past and have ostensibly failed. Unless any potential new service secures the necessary funding (or if this supposed 'combined transport authority' we now have sees merit in connecting several areas of tourism with one another) then it's highly unlikely that this service will ever happen.

Sorry to kill the suggestion, but it looks like tourists will have to enjoy a tour through either Saltwell or Wrekenton before experiencing the delights of Birtley, Ouston and Pelton on their way to Beamish for some time yet!
(17 Jul 2014, 5:58 pm)AdamY wrote Again, you're right, however the interworking of services was not my idea - just an expansion on the original suggestion.

I would much prefer the service to operate stand-alone much as service 128 does already.

Direct services between Newcastle and Beamish have been tried in the past and have ostensibly failed. Unless any potential new service secures the necessary funding (or if this supposed 'combined transport authority' we now have sees merit in connecting several areas of tourism with one another) then it's highly unlikely that this service will ever happen.

Sorry to kill the suggestion, but it looks like tourists will have to enjoy a tour through either Saltwell or Wrekenton before experiencing the delights of Birtley, Ouston and Pelton on their way to Beamish for some time yet!

How about a service from Central direct to Chester-le-Street, then via the 28/28A route?
(17 Jul 2014, 6:05 pm)Tom wrote How about a service from Central direct to Chester-le-Street, then via the 28/28A route?

GNE already have services 21 and X21 operating between Newcastle and Chester as well as services 28/28a between Chester and Beamish. What you suggest is essentially a (partial) duplication of two routes and I doubt the amount of time travelling between Newcastle and Beamish will be reduced by much when compared to the current arrangement.

I could be wrong though!
T1 - Durham Cathedral - Durham Bus Station - Beamish - Angel of the North - Gateshead Interchange - The Sage - Baltic - Newcastle City Centre Circular

T2 - Durham Cathedral - Durham Bus Station - Chester le Street - MetroCentre - Blaydon - Hexham - Haltwhistle Market Place - Walltown Roman Army Museum
(Alternatively T2 could run as far as Hexham and Connect with AD122)

Would only serve stops mentioned above - Every 20 Minutes/Every 10 Minutes Combined

Q1 would operate as Normal but on a Reduced Frequency of Every 20 Minutes as a Result of the above. Furthermore the proposed P&R Site for the A1 which everyone by the looks of it is against, could see greater usage.
The issue you have is that the vast majority of Beamish trade comes from direct car and coach trips. There likely isn't the demand for a direct service from Newcastle. Even a taxi for a tourist is relatively inexpensive.

Re the above suggestions. I'm not sure Newcastle - Durham needs a tourist link. Hop on the very regular and cheap enough train to Central and the Q1 to Quayside, by which point the T1 is sitting in traffic
Totally crazy idea but gonna say it anyway
What about a coaster 1B to birtley,nuts i know and would never happen,but the 1 serves Wrekenton,1A to Kibblesworth,proposed 1B to Birtley,probably make more sense to extend one of the others
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(17 Jul 2014, 7:17 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote T1 - Durham Cathedral - Durham Bus Station - Beamish - Angel of the North - Gateshead Interchange - The Sage - Baltic - Newcastle City Centre Circular

T2 - Durham Cathedral - Durham Bus Station - Chester le Street - MetroCentre - Blaydon - Hexham - Haltwhistle Market Place - Walltown Roman Army Museum
(Alternatively T2 could run as far as Hexham and Connect with AD122)

Would only serve stops mentioned above - Every 20 Minutes/Every 10 Minutes Combined

Q1 would operate as Normal but on a Reduced Frequency of Every 20 Minutes as a Result of the above. Furthermore the proposed P&R Site for the A1 which everyone by the looks of it is against, could see greater usage.

Where the he'll did that idea come from Adam it is interesting to say the least...Thinking about your T2 (what does the T stand for anyway) could it not be done by merging it with the 689, have it limited stop between Durham and Consett(Durham-Witton Gilbert-Lanchester) then onto Hexham via the current 689 route
(17 Jul 2014, 8:58 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Where the he'll did that idea come from Adam it is interesting to say the least...Thinking about your T2 (what does the T stand for anyway) could it not be done by merging it with the 689, have it limited stop between Durham and Consett(Durham-Witton Gilbert-Lanchester) then onto Hexham via the current 689 route

T for Tourist marxistafozzski, as for where it came from, it came from Tom's 128 Suggestion and the Conversation about a P&R Site on one Bus Management and Infrastructure Threads, Eighton Lodge I think it was without looking.
Marxista Fozzski
(17 Jul 2014, 9:08 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote T for Tourist marxistafozzski, as for where it came from, it came from Tom's 128 Suggestion and the Conversation about a P&R Site on one Bus Management and Infrastructure Threads, Eighton Lodge I think it was without looking.

Silly me, should have figured that out
(17 Jul 2014, 9:08 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote T for Tourist marxistafozzski, as for where it came from, it came from Tom's 128 Suggestion and the Conversation about a P&R Site on one Bus Management and Infrastructure Threads, Eighton Lodge I think it was without looking.

MM1 and MM2 would be more appropriate :p
Marxista Fozzski
(17 Jul 2014, 9:15 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote MM1 and MM2 would be more appropriate :p

Malarkey Marathon by any chance
(17 Jul 2014, 9:24 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Malarkey Marathon by any chance

You got that one!