North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Wrestling

Wrestling

Wrestling

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Pages (43) Previous 113 14 1543 Next
MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

21 Jul 2014, 3:41 pm #261
(21 Jul 2014, 3:07 pm)NEBCD Malarkey http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...tlers.html

To be honest I don't think John Hall who has written this Article or The Daily Mail actually understand how Storylines in Wrestling actually work, nor does he actually watch Wrestling for that matter. I also think using the Quote 'You blame Russia for the recent current events?', which is what Lana said, is taking what she said which is as we know is scripted way out of context in my opinion, and trying to relate it to MH17, it's just really bad Journalism on the part of John Hall and The Daily Mail.

What makes even worse is that they go into the Background of Lana and how she came to WWE, through here Modelling Career etc, and they also go on to Quote the Muhammad Hassan Character used back in 2005, who portrayed a Middle Eastern Muslim wrestler who would often pray in the ring and speak about prejudice against Arabs - both of which were often greeted by boos. The character came to an end when a controversial 'terrorism' storyline coincided with the 7/7 London bombings, leading television networks to pressure WWE into removing the character.

I would say The Daily Mail are trying to tie the 2 Storylines Together, and using Irrelevant Information here in an attempt to stir things up even more, which makes WWE look Bad.

Would not surprise me if that is what she is actually referring to, Vince is not bothered about taste in his product, he would stop at nothing, The Muhammed Hassan storyline was similar portraying an al-qaeda/arab sympathiser, Sgt Slaughter becoming an Iraqi Sympathiser in the early 90's.

Lana is probably referring to the Ukraine problem as a whole, which MH17 happens to be part of, but the timing of it is really bad, saying stuff like that days after one of the world's deadliest air crashes is stupid.

The Daily Fail are trying to make it into something it is not, they are actors/entertainers, to me that is like saying a character in the soaps are anti-american/british when they comment in character...

Silly old Daily Fail
MrFozz
21 Jul 2014, 3:41 pm #261

(21 Jul 2014, 3:07 pm)NEBCD Malarkey http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...tlers.html

To be honest I don't think John Hall who has written this Article or The Daily Mail actually understand how Storylines in Wrestling actually work, nor does he actually watch Wrestling for that matter. I also think using the Quote 'You blame Russia for the recent current events?', which is what Lana said, is taking what she said which is as we know is scripted way out of context in my opinion, and trying to relate it to MH17, it's just really bad Journalism on the part of John Hall and The Daily Mail.

What makes even worse is that they go into the Background of Lana and how she came to WWE, through here Modelling Career etc, and they also go on to Quote the Muhammad Hassan Character used back in 2005, who portrayed a Middle Eastern Muslim wrestler who would often pray in the ring and speak about prejudice against Arabs - both of which were often greeted by boos. The character came to an end when a controversial 'terrorism' storyline coincided with the 7/7 London bombings, leading television networks to pressure WWE into removing the character.

I would say The Daily Mail are trying to tie the 2 Storylines Together, and using Irrelevant Information here in an attempt to stir things up even more, which makes WWE look Bad.

Would not surprise me if that is what she is actually referring to, Vince is not bothered about taste in his product, he would stop at nothing, The Muhammed Hassan storyline was similar portraying an al-qaeda/arab sympathiser, Sgt Slaughter becoming an Iraqi Sympathiser in the early 90's.

Lana is probably referring to the Ukraine problem as a whole, which MH17 happens to be part of, but the timing of it is really bad, saying stuff like that days after one of the world's deadliest air crashes is stupid.

The Daily Fail are trying to make it into something it is not, they are actors/entertainers, to me that is like saying a character in the soaps are anti-american/british when they comment in character...

Silly old Daily Fail

MurdnunoC

21 Jul 2014, 4:25 pm #262
(21 Jul 2014, 3:41 pm)marxistafozzski Would not surprise me if that is what she is actually referring to, Vince is not bothered about taste in his product, he would stop at nothing, The Muhammed Hassan storyline was similar portraying an al-qaeda/arab sympathiser, Sgt Slaughter becoming an Iraqi Sympathiser in the early 90's.

Silly old Daily Fail

This hits the nail on the head. At the end of the day wrestling is low-brow entertainment. It's carny in every sense of the word. Wrestling should not under any circumstance be considered a cultural critique on any major international event - it's there to make money. And, as wrestling is based on generating conflict, it is that conflict that draws punters in; a tried and tested formula which is unlikely to change as long as wrestling exists.

As for the Daily Mail.

Who cares what they think. The media feeds on conflict as, like wrestling, it helps to sell the product. You can draw a lot of parallels between media and wrestling. Maybe those in glass-houses shouldn't throw stones!
MurdnunoC
21 Jul 2014, 4:25 pm #262

(21 Jul 2014, 3:41 pm)marxistafozzski Would not surprise me if that is what she is actually referring to, Vince is not bothered about taste in his product, he would stop at nothing, The Muhammed Hassan storyline was similar portraying an al-qaeda/arab sympathiser, Sgt Slaughter becoming an Iraqi Sympathiser in the early 90's.

Silly old Daily Fail

This hits the nail on the head. At the end of the day wrestling is low-brow entertainment. It's carny in every sense of the word. Wrestling should not under any circumstance be considered a cultural critique on any major international event - it's there to make money. And, as wrestling is based on generating conflict, it is that conflict that draws punters in; a tried and tested formula which is unlikely to change as long as wrestling exists.

As for the Daily Mail.

Who cares what they think. The media feeds on conflict as, like wrestling, it helps to sell the product. You can draw a lot of parallels between media and wrestling. Maybe those in glass-houses shouldn't throw stones!

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

21 Jul 2014, 5:22 pm #263
(21 Jul 2014, 4:25 pm)AdamY This hits the nail on the head. At the end of the day wrestling is low-brow entertainment. It's carny in every sense of the word. Wrestling should not under any circumstance be considered a cultural critique on any major international event - it's there to make money. And, as wrestling is based on generating conflict, it is that conflict that draws punters in; a tried and tested formula which is unlikely to change as long as wrestling exists.

As for the Daily Mail.

1 thing I must say, I may not agree with WWE on some of there storylines, and there has been some pretty distasteful/controversial stories while I have watched, necrophilia (Katie Vick), Mae Young and Mark Henry's baby hand, Pillmans got a gun, severing Val Venis' pee pee and Vince once even mentioned an incest storyline where he or Shane would be daddy to one of Stephs kids, even things like Vince making people kiss his bare arse or treating women like dogs (literally)

The one reason I always liked WWE was because of it's edgy/gritty content, it always left me thinking "what will they do next week'

I personally think Vince is a genius, who does not care about what people think and is not scared to be controversial, I reckon most people who moan about him are closet fans and will watch regardless to see what they do next.

The Lana/Rusev storyline is a storm in a teacup, and she has been saying the same thing for months, Putin has had his head on every titantron across North America, she spouts the same spiel every week, I still say she is referring to the Ukraine conflict as a whole with MH17 being a tragic event in the conflict
MrFozz
21 Jul 2014, 5:22 pm #263

(21 Jul 2014, 4:25 pm)AdamY This hits the nail on the head. At the end of the day wrestling is low-brow entertainment. It's carny in every sense of the word. Wrestling should not under any circumstance be considered a cultural critique on any major international event - it's there to make money. And, as wrestling is based on generating conflict, it is that conflict that draws punters in; a tried and tested formula which is unlikely to change as long as wrestling exists.

As for the Daily Mail.

1 thing I must say, I may not agree with WWE on some of there storylines, and there has been some pretty distasteful/controversial stories while I have watched, necrophilia (Katie Vick), Mae Young and Mark Henry's baby hand, Pillmans got a gun, severing Val Venis' pee pee and Vince once even mentioned an incest storyline where he or Shane would be daddy to one of Stephs kids, even things like Vince making people kiss his bare arse or treating women like dogs (literally)

The one reason I always liked WWE was because of it's edgy/gritty content, it always left me thinking "what will they do next week'

I personally think Vince is a genius, who does not care about what people think and is not scared to be controversial, I reckon most people who moan about him are closet fans and will watch regardless to see what they do next.

The Lana/Rusev storyline is a storm in a teacup, and she has been saying the same thing for months, Putin has had his head on every titantron across North America, she spouts the same spiel every week, I still say she is referring to the Ukraine conflict as a whole with MH17 being a tragic event in the conflict

MurdnunoC

21 Jul 2014, 10:23 pm #264
Back to some of wrestling's funniest moments.

This is perhaps the worst promo I've ever heard. So cringeworthingly bad, it's funny!

MurdnunoC
21 Jul 2014, 10:23 pm #264

Back to some of wrestling's funniest moments.

This is perhaps the worst promo I've ever heard. So cringeworthingly bad, it's funny!

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

21 Jul 2014, 10:33 pm #265
A Barbary Ape would do a better job than that dude
MrFozz
21 Jul 2014, 10:33 pm #265

A Barbary Ape would do a better job than that dude

MurdnunoC

21 Jul 2014, 10:48 pm #266
(21 Jul 2014, 10:33 pm)marxistafozzski A Barbary Ape would do a better job than that dude

With all that aggression, he'd be my first choice for top heel in any wrestling promotion. Who needs a Bray Wyatt or a Dean Ambrose when you have Jumpin' Jeff Farmer.

Now, on to some of my favourite promo guys.

One tag team I'd really love to see in WWE at some point is The Briscoes. Not only are they hugely entertaining in the ring, they do some genuinely awesome crazy-ass promos.

MurdnunoC
21 Jul 2014, 10:48 pm #266

(21 Jul 2014, 10:33 pm)marxistafozzski A Barbary Ape would do a better job than that dude

With all that aggression, he'd be my first choice for top heel in any wrestling promotion. Who needs a Bray Wyatt or a Dean Ambrose when you have Jumpin' Jeff Farmer.

One tag team I'd really love to see in WWE at some point is The Briscoes. Not only are they hugely entertaining in the ring, they do some genuinely awesome crazy-ass promos.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

21 Jul 2014, 10:54 pm #267
(21 Jul 2014, 10:48 pm)AdamY With all that aggression, he'd be my first choice for top heel in any wrestling promotion. Who needs a Bray Wyatt or a Dean Ambrose when you have Jumpin' Jeff Farmer.

Nothing like a hillbilly/redneck The fat hillbilly is hilarious even he hardly says anything
MrFozz
21 Jul 2014, 10:54 pm #267

(21 Jul 2014, 10:48 pm)AdamY With all that aggression, he'd be my first choice for top heel in any wrestling promotion. Who needs a Bray Wyatt or a Dean Ambrose when you have Jumpin' Jeff Farmer.

Nothing like a hillbilly/redneck The fat hillbilly is hilarious even he hardly says anything

MurdnunoC

21 Jul 2014, 11:03 pm #268
(21 Jul 2014, 10:54 pm)marxistafozzski Nothing like a hillbilly/redneck The fat hillbilly is hilarious even he hardly says anything

That's why I picked that particular promo.

I have absolutely no idea who the guy is but I'm assuming he's a legit relative as The Briscoes tape a lot of their promos from their home - a farm in Delaware.
MurdnunoC
21 Jul 2014, 11:03 pm #268

(21 Jul 2014, 10:54 pm)marxistafozzski Nothing like a hillbilly/redneck The fat hillbilly is hilarious even he hardly says anything

That's why I picked that particular promo.

I have absolutely no idea who the guy is but I'm assuming he's a legit relative as The Briscoes tape a lot of their promos from their home - a farm in Delaware.

MurdnunoC

22 Jul 2014, 12:17 pm #269
Pretty eventful RAW show last night.

Brock Lesnar being selected as Triple H's 'Plan C' to take the title away from John Cena.

Stephanie McMahon being arrested in what some are already describing as 'the segment of the year'.

And, my personal favourite, the apparent resurrection of an old Attitude-era gimmick: The Nation of Domination!!
MurdnunoC
22 Jul 2014, 12:17 pm #269

Pretty eventful RAW show last night.

Brock Lesnar being selected as Triple H's 'Plan C' to take the title away from John Cena.

Stephanie McMahon being arrested in what some are already describing as 'the segment of the year'.

And, my personal favourite, the apparent resurrection of an old Attitude-era gimmick: The Nation of Domination!!

MurdnunoC

29 Jul 2014, 1:11 pm #270
Been slowly watching New Japan's currently on-going G1 Climax tournament and I thought I'd share a few matches featuring ex-WWE talent.

1) Davey Boy Smith Jr (w/TAKA Michinoku) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura (DAY 2 - 23/4/14)

MurdnunoC
29 Jul 2014, 1:11 pm #270

Been slowly watching New Japan's currently on-going G1 Climax tournament and I thought I'd share a few matches featuring ex-WWE talent.

1) Davey Boy Smith Jr (w/TAKA Michinoku) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura (DAY 2 - 23/4/14)

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

29 Jul 2014, 2:07 pm #271
Apart from being about 6" taller, looking at Harry is like looking at Davey about 25 years ago

Does Harry now wrestle as Davey Jr and has he took on his dad's move set i.e. running powerslam, I have also seen him use the Sharpshooter as well.

I think when Bulldog died, it was the first time I got really upset at the death of someone I did not personally know, it was 5 days after my 20th birthday
MrFozz
29 Jul 2014, 2:07 pm #271

Apart from being about 6" taller, looking at Harry is like looking at Davey about 25 years ago

Does Harry now wrestle as Davey Jr and has he took on his dad's move set i.e. running powerslam, I have also seen him use the Sharpshooter as well.

I think when Bulldog died, it was the first time I got really upset at the death of someone I did not personally know, it was 5 days after my 20th birthday

MurdnunoC

29 Jul 2014, 9:31 pm #272
(29 Jul 2014, 2:07 pm)marxistafozzski Apart from being about 6" taller, looking at Harry is like looking at Davey about 25 years ago

Harry usually wrestles as Davey Boy Smith Jr. nowadays depending on where he's wrestling. As wrestling/touring for New Japan takes up much of his wrestling schedule it is the name you'll generally see him wrestling under.

He does take on elements of his father's moveset but I wouldn't label him as a tribute act. He primarily wrestles in a tag team named K.E.S. (Killer Elite Squad) with fellow WWE outcast Lance Archer. The tag-team is part of a stable named Suzuki-gun led by Minoru Suzuki.

[Image: Killer%20Elite%20Squad%20Illegal%20Foreign%20Object.jpg]
MurdnunoC
29 Jul 2014, 9:31 pm #272

(29 Jul 2014, 2:07 pm)marxistafozzski Apart from being about 6" taller, looking at Harry is like looking at Davey about 25 years ago

Harry usually wrestles as Davey Boy Smith Jr. nowadays depending on where he's wrestling. As wrestling/touring for New Japan takes up much of his wrestling schedule it is the name you'll generally see him wrestling under.

He does take on elements of his father's moveset but I wouldn't label him as a tribute act. He primarily wrestles in a tag team named K.E.S. (Killer Elite Squad) with fellow WWE outcast Lance Archer. The tag-team is part of a stable named Suzuki-gun led by Minoru Suzuki.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

29 Jul 2014, 9:39 pm #273
(29 Jul 2014, 9:31 pm)AdamY Harry usually wrestles as Davey Boy Smith Jr. nowadays depending on where he's wrestling. As wrestling/touring for New Japan takes up much of his wrestling schedule it is the name you'll generally see him wrestling under.

He seems to be doing ok for himself out in Japan from what I have read...Can you see him coming back into WWE one day?
MrFozz
29 Jul 2014, 9:39 pm #273

(29 Jul 2014, 9:31 pm)AdamY Harry usually wrestles as Davey Boy Smith Jr. nowadays depending on where he's wrestling. As wrestling/touring for New Japan takes up much of his wrestling schedule it is the name you'll generally see him wrestling under.

He seems to be doing ok for himself out in Japan from what I have read...Can you see him coming back into WWE one day?

MurdnunoC

29 Jul 2014, 9:49 pm #274
(29 Jul 2014, 9:39 pm)marxistafozzski He seems to be doing ok for himself out in Japan from what I have read...Can you see him coming back into WWE one day?

He may return to WWE for a quick cup of coffee but I doubt it'll last very long.

Smith's been critical of WWE since his release. He likes to 'wrestle' and feels he was deprived of his ability to do so while under contract to WWE. He's probably better suited to Japan where wrestling is still promoted as a pseudo-sports contest. He probably makes more money there too.
MurdnunoC
29 Jul 2014, 9:49 pm #274

(29 Jul 2014, 9:39 pm)marxistafozzski He seems to be doing ok for himself out in Japan from what I have read...Can you see him coming back into WWE one day?

He may return to WWE for a quick cup of coffee but I doubt it'll last very long.

Smith's been critical of WWE since his release. He likes to 'wrestle' and feels he was deprived of his ability to do so while under contract to WWE. He's probably better suited to Japan where wrestling is still promoted as a pseudo-sports contest. He probably makes more money there too.

MurdnunoC

29 Jul 2014, 9:59 pm #275
Here's another match from the 2014 G1 Climax Tournament - this time from Day 1 (21/7/14)

Shelton "X" Benjamin vs. Doc Gallows (who some may remember from his time in WWE as the apparently mentally-challenged 'Festus' and later 'Luke Gallows').

MurdnunoC
29 Jul 2014, 9:59 pm #275

Here's another match from the 2014 G1 Climax Tournament - this time from Day 1 (21/7/14)

Shelton "X" Benjamin vs. Doc Gallows (who some may remember from his time in WWE as the apparently mentally-challenged 'Festus' and later 'Luke Gallows').

Malarkey

04 Aug 2014, 10:34 pm #276
http://www.impactwrestling.com/news/item...-Next-Week

Reckon TNA have missed a Trick or Two for the Triple Threat Tag Team Match between (The Wolves vs The Hardys vs Team 3D).

A.) It's not for the TNA World Tag Team Championships
B.) Should be a Full Metal Mayhem Match
C.) Should take place at Hardcore Justice rather than on Impact
D.) Match will likely last less than 10 Minutes, Whereas I think it should last around 30 Minutes for it to be a Dream Match/Show Stealer.

To be honest despite TNA losing there TV Deal with Spike TV, Impact has been quite good to watch over the past Month I think, Particularly with the Shows in New York City.
Malarkey
04 Aug 2014, 10:34 pm #276

http://www.impactwrestling.com/news/item...-Next-Week

Reckon TNA have missed a Trick or Two for the Triple Threat Tag Team Match between (The Wolves vs The Hardys vs Team 3D).

D.) Match will likely last less than 10 Minutes, Whereas I think it should last around 30 Minutes for it to be a Dream Match/Show Stealer.

To be honest despite TNA losing there TV Deal with Spike TV, Impact has been quite good to watch over the past Month I think, Particularly with the Shows in New York City.

MurdnunoC

04 Aug 2014, 10:50 pm #277
(04 Aug 2014, 10:34 pm)NEBCD Malarkey http://www.impactwrestling.com/news/item...-Next-Week

On point C:

I can see why they would put the match on television rather than PPV. TNA desperately need a television deal or potentially the company closes. Without television the PPV's mean very little so it kind of makes sense to throw everything you have into making your television show look good just in case there's another television company willing to add TNA to their network.

I agree with you on points A and D but I don't think it really needs to be a gimmick match as you note in point B. If it were just between the Hardys and Team 3D I'd be inclined to agree as there is history, albeit WWE history, to build upon. However, as the Wolves have little prior engagement with either team, it just seems like a having a gimmick match for the sake of having a gimmick match. Let the feud simmer and develop a little before adding the stips.
MurdnunoC
04 Aug 2014, 10:50 pm #277

(04 Aug 2014, 10:34 pm)NEBCD Malarkey http://www.impactwrestling.com/news/item...-Next-Week

On point C:

I can see why they would put the match on television rather than PPV. TNA desperately need a television deal or potentially the company closes. Without television the PPV's mean very little so it kind of makes sense to throw everything you have into making your television show look good just in case there's another television company willing to add TNA to their network.

I agree with you on points A and D but I don't think it really needs to be a gimmick match as you note in point B. If it were just between the Hardys and Team 3D I'd be inclined to agree as there is history, albeit WWE history, to build upon. However, as the Wolves have little prior engagement with either team, it just seems like a having a gimmick match for the sake of having a gimmick match. Let the feud simmer and develop a little before adding the stips.

MurdnunoC

05 Aug 2014, 10:21 pm #278
Here's one of the most highly rated matches of New Japan's G1 Climax Tournament and a potential match-of-the-year candidate.

A styles clash of sorts (pardon the pun) between IWGP Heavyweight Champion (New Japan's equivalent to the WWE Heavyweight Champion) AJ Styles and one of my favourite performers, Minoru Suzuki.

I'm not AJ Styles' biggest fan but TNA's loss is New Japan's gain!!
Edited 05 Aug 2014, 10:22 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
05 Aug 2014, 10:21 pm #278

Here's one of the most highly rated matches of New Japan's G1 Climax Tournament and a potential match-of-the-year candidate.

A styles clash of sorts (pardon the pun) between IWGP Heavyweight Champion (New Japan's equivalent to the WWE Heavyweight Champion) AJ Styles and one of my favourite performers, Minoru Suzuki.

I'm not AJ Styles' biggest fan but TNA's loss is New Japan's gain!!

Malarkey

07 Aug 2014, 10:45 pm #279
Alberto Del Rio has been Released by WWE due to unprofessional conduct and an altercation with an employee. Wonder what has he done for it to warrant his Release.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/alberto-del-ri...d-26553840
Malarkey
07 Aug 2014, 10:45 pm #279

Alberto Del Rio has been Released by WWE due to unprofessional conduct and an altercation with an employee. Wonder what has he done for it to warrant his Release.

MurdnunoC

08 Aug 2014, 6:08 am #280
(07 Aug 2014, 10:45 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Alberto Del Rio has been Released by WWE due to unprofessional conduct and an altercation with an employee. Wonder what has he done for it to warrant his Release.

Rumour has it he slapped a member of WWE's social network team although this comes from a dubious source.

Alberto was probably leaving, one way or another, upon the expiry of his contract next year. It is possible that WWE saw an opportunity to push and get rid in attempt to save money.

I'm betting that he'll resurface in AAA by the end of the month.
MurdnunoC
08 Aug 2014, 6:08 am #280

(07 Aug 2014, 10:45 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Alberto Del Rio has been Released by WWE due to unprofessional conduct and an altercation with an employee. Wonder what has he done for it to warrant his Release.

Rumour has it he slapped a member of WWE's social network team although this comes from a dubious source.

Alberto was probably leaving, one way or another, upon the expiry of his contract next year. It is possible that WWE saw an opportunity to push and get rid in attempt to save money.

I'm betting that he'll resurface in AAA by the end of the month.

Pages (43) Previous 113 14 1543 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average