You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(23 Jul 2014, 2:16 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote It was only a few above your original post.
It doesn't matter - not being precious.
The comment I made (hopefully) indicated that it was light hearted.

ah, found it. After reading my post to you, it did sound like i was having a go. I didnt intend it to sound like that.
(23 Jul 2014, 2:20 pm)Robert wrote ah, found it. After reading my post to you, it did sound like i was having a go. I didnt intend it to sound like that.

Whey no, didn't sound like that at all.
After some of the names I have been called on here (that didn't bother me either), a post like yours is nowt - whether you meant it or not.

For the record, I have no idea whether it could operate commercially as it stands.
If a service was diverted to cover the route (say a 96) or a variation of the 1, then it could work.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(23 Jul 2014, 2:24 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Whey no, didn't sound like that at all.
After some of the names I have been called on here (that didn't bother me either), a post like yours is nowt - whether you meant it or not.

For the record, I have no idea whether it could operate commercially as it stands.
If a service was diverted to cover the route (say a 96) or a variation of the 1, then it could work.

Yeah, at least divert a service that makes a lot of money to start with. Does the Loop services make much? With going along that way im sure they could change the route for the buses to serve The Sage and that would only add a few extra minutes (5 at the most) onto the timetable and would see the restoration of part of the route (and a main place at that) and still have the connection to Gateshead but without the route to Central Station. The Baltic also isnt that far away and im sure people wouldnt mind the short walk. With a route like the Loop if it doesnt quite take off it can be changed back or the money lost can be made up on other parts of the route.

I dont really think the Q2 needs replacing partly in any way as when i have been to Newcastle, most of which is on weekends, no Q2 journeys have been busy enough to say that there needs to be a route from Haymarket to St Peters Basin and im sure there are a few Stagecoach services that run nearby to St Peters Basin into the City Centre without going down onto the Quayside.

The CitySightseeing service will still go down onto the Quayside so there is another connection for people who dont want to make the walk down but this, as we know will be inconvenient for Disabled passengers but the buses used arent easy access and although im sure they will eventually but at the moment im not sure if they are planning on replacing the Olympians any time soon.
(23 Jul 2014, 2:42 pm)Robert wrote The CitySightseeing service will still go down onto the Quayside so there is another connection for people who dont want to make the walk down but this, as we know will be inconvenient for Disabled passengers but the buses used arent easy access and although im sure they will eventually but at the moment im not sure if they are planning on replacing the Olympians any time soon.

Also concession passes can't be used on the City Sightseeing service and tickets cost £8 I think.
(23 Jul 2014, 2:42 pm)Robert wrote Yeah, at least divert a service that makes a lot of money to start with. Does the Loop services make much? With going along that way im sure they could change the route for the buses to serve The Sage and that would only add a few extra minutes (5 at the most) onto the timetable and would see the restoration of part of the route (and a main place at that) and still have the connection to Gateshead but without the route to Central Station. The Baltic also isnt that far away and im sure people wouldnt mind the short walk. With a route like the Loop if it doesnt quite take off it can be changed back or the money lost can be made up on other parts of the route.

I dont really think the Q2 needs replacing partly in any way as when i have been to Newcastle, most of which is on weekends, no Q2 journeys have been busy enough to say that there needs to be a route from Haymarket to St Peters Basin and im sure there are a few Stagecoach services that run nearby to St Peters Basin into the City Centre without going down onto the Quayside.

The CitySightseeing service will still go down onto the Quayside so there is another connection for people who dont want to make the walk down but this, as we know will be inconvenient for Disabled passengers but the buses used arent easy access and although im sure they will eventually but at the moment im not sure if they are planning on replacing the Olympians any time soon.

The 93/94 seem ok on patches of the route and obviously in the peaks.
I imagine it will suffer during the college/school hols and factory fortnight more than others.

However, it can and does often suffer with reliability due to traffic - so not sure about extending it and possibly delaying it even more.

I did suggest the 96 for a replacement, but wonder if the 53/54 could work - as they hit the town and use parts of Gateshead that the Q1 does already.

Maybe worth the mods sticking some of these posts in route suggestions - but a short 1 Whitley Bay, Byker etc - St Peters, Quayside, Q2 route and reverse.
(23 Jul 2014, 3:49 pm)Jimmi wrote Also concession passes can't be used on the City Sightseeing service and tickets cost £8 I think.

Oh. Ouch! Thats a bit expensive for people who just want to go down to the Quayside and back. People who are going to use the service all day will find its good value.
(23 Jul 2014, 3:55 pm)Robert wrote Oh. Ouch! Thats a bit expensive for people who just want to go down to the Quayside and back. People who are going to use the service all day will find its good value.

Whereas on the Quaylink the Prices are:

£1.30 - Single - U16 60p with Pop Card
£2.10 - All Day Ticket - U16 £1.10 with Pop Card
£5.25 - Family Ticket - 2 Adults and 3 Children
£8.40 - All Week Ticket

If it was me, I simply get rid of the Sightseeing Service, it pretty much follows the Q1/Q2 Anyway, and costs way more to use.
Quaylink:-

Would a true minibus be more economical to run?

Are there any truly low-floor minibuses available for reasonable cost in the UK (or are Solos and MPDs the nearest configuration)?
Whatever happened to the CVE Omni? (don't tell me - I know - the final effort was a tri-axle version with capacity for 40 pax)

Presumably there is more than one vehicle serving the Quaylink routes?

Would reducing the frequency and running only one vehicle work?
(23 Jul 2014, 4:08 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Whereas on the Quaylink the Prices are:

£1.30 - Single - U16 60p with Pop Card
£2.10 - All Day Ticket - U16 £1.10 with Pop Card
£5.25 - Family Ticket - 2 Adults and 3 Children
£8.40 - All Week Ticket

If it was me, I simply get rid of the Sightseeing Service, it pretty much follows the Q1/Q2 Anyway, and costs way more to use.

The thing I've always thought - the City Sightseeing buses have always attracted people who are visiting the city - because it says it all in the title. When you visit the city, and people recommend a plain yellow bus with 'Quaylink' in black font, they would be scratching their heads, wouldn't you think?
(23 Jul 2014, 4:49 pm)Marcus wrote The thing I've always thought - the City Sightseeing buses have always attracted people who are visiting the city - because it says it all in the title. When you visit the city, and people recommend a plain yellow bus with 'Quaylink' in black font, they would be scratching their heads, wouldn't you think?

Also remember that City Sightseeing is a global franchise - and Newcastle is one of 4 commercially operated by Stagecoach. All it needs at present is newer stock given the DDA deadline.

It's also classed as a tourist service (same as the Whitby town tour and the Scarborough Seafront services) therefore the ENCTS is not valid.
Go North East - Latest
If the Q2 is taken away then the alternative from St. Peter's basin is service 12 some distance away, service 18 does come into the estate but the a change at byker is required. I'm my view when stagecoach took away the 34/35 this would have served both St. Peter's and ouseburn to the city centre. Shame if it does go as I use it a lot from ouseburn to town
City sightseeing = opentop double-decker (with a commentary I presume?) ie a premium service.
The current operators (Stagecoach?) wouldn't give up their monopoly lightly.
Edinburgh has several operators offering open-top city tours (at least there are several different tours but maybe one common operator).

I've not used the Newcastle one but the Edinburgh one was worth it (to me).
Mind you it was a few years ago and it was only £8 - now £14.
Hop on - hop off all day.

Fitting the Quaylinks with transparent roofs would be expensive, whereas hacking the roof off an old double decker is one way to extend its life (slowly trundling around a city centre and not worrying if you don't keep to schedule).

How 'green' are these tour-buses?
(23 Jul 2014, 5:18 pm)G-CPTN wrote City sightseeing = opentop double-decker (with a commentary I presume?) ie a premium service.
The current operators (Stagecoach?) wouldn't give up their monopoly lightly.
Edinburgh has several operators offering open-top city tours (at least there are several different tours but maybe one common operator).

I've not used the Newcastle one but the Edinburgh one was worth it (to me).
Mind you it was a few years ago and it was only £8 - now £14.
Hop on - hop off all day.

Fitting the Quaylinks with transparent roofs would be expensive, whereas hacking the roof off an old double decker is one way to extend its life (slowly trundling around a city centre and not worrying if you don't keep to schedule).

How 'green' are these tour-buses?

Not "Green" at all, sure there around 20 Years Old, Possibly Older.
(23 Jul 2014, 5:23 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Not "Green" at all, sure there around 20 Years Old, Possibly Older.

The Hxxx BNL ones - circa 1991 Big Grin
(23 Jul 2014, 2:05 pm)marxistafozzski wrote I wonder if it would work if it was cross-subsidised i.e. paying for it from the more profitable routes. Would be a shame to lose Quaylink, but it needs passengers for it to work at all and every time I see Quaylink it is carrying fresh air and not much more

Unfortunately, cross-subsidisation is not permitted under the 1986 Transport Act.

On my visits to Newcastle, I've seen only a few people use the services but perhaps there would be scope for GNE or SNE to amend some of their existing services to cover at least some of the roads that otherwise would be left unserved?

David
I wouldn't say its fair to say Quaylink is carrying fresh air, at times the usage is limited but its use to business, leisure, education and residential facilities is important.

I can pick any service and find times when its carrying fresh air.

I believe the councils may look to NE1 to continue supporting Quaylink.

And of course there is the PR disaster that would be Nexus wanting Quality Contracts and axing it's 'flagship' pet project
(23 Jul 2014, 5:46 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote I wasn't that far off

Very close.

Dunno about you or anyone else, but if I go on a sightseeing bus like that, I want it to be something different.
Used the ones in York a few times and hate it when a modern bus (just like something back home) turns up.
Marxista Fozzski
Slightly off topic...Talking of City Sightseeing, Belfast is a great tour, takes in Stormont, The Crum*, West Belfast, Windsor Park and the Titanic Quarter ...Black Cab tours are also worth it as well

*Crumlin Road Jail
(23 Jul 2014, 6:26 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Slightly off topic...Talking of City Sightseeing, Belfast is a great tour, takes in Stormont, The Crum*, West Belfast, Windsor Park and the Titanic Quarter ...Black Cab tours are also worth it as well

*Crumlin Road Jail

It is a decent one, the Dublin one is excellent as it roars through Phoenix Park

The issue is Newcastle is a very small city and all of its attractions are in comfortable walking distance and very accessible. I remember the City Sightseeing used to do 2 runs to Beamish and the Angel
(23 Jul 2014, 1:43 pm)Michael wrote That's not good, i'm not from Gateshead/Newcastle so i never use it, not sure how well it does for passengers?

There has only ever been a few people on it, when I've used it and the majority of them have Network One passes or similar, as due to the nature of the Q1/Q2 route most people will have used another bus and bought their ticket prior to getting the Quaylink, so I can't imagine it takes many cash fares.
(23 Jul 2014, 3:49 pm)Jimmi wrote Also concession passes can't be used on the City Sightseeing service and tickets cost £8 I think.

It does say on the citysightseeing timetable that local fares are available between stops.
(23 Jul 2014, 6:47 pm)gtom wrote It is a decent one, the Dublin one is excellent as it roars through Phoenix Park

The issue is Newcastle is a very small city and all of its attractions are in comfortable walking distance and very accessible. I remember the City Sightseeing used to do 2 runs to Beamish and the Angel

And then drops you right outside the Guinness Museum.

Always remember one guide in Dublin telling the passengers that the inventor of the crossword was buried in one of the churches we were passing.
His gravestone was 4 across and 3 down.

It got a chuckle - but it also makes the personable approach stand out over the tape recorded tours.
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(23 Jul 2014, 7:01 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote And then drops you right outside the Guinness Museum.

Always remember one guide in Dublin telling the passengers that the inventor of the crossword was buried in one of the churches we were passing.
His gravestone was 4 across and 3 down.

It got a chuckle - but it also makes the personable approach stand out over the tape recorded tours.

Been to Dublin a few times, never done a bus tour though...The Belfast one was funny, at Stormont, the Polis and his sniffer dog got on the bus, N.Ireland being the way it is security wise, the Polis did random checks for bombs on the buses, the dog took an interest in me and this fella sitting behind me, to the point the dog practically sticking it's nose right in the blokes crotch
(23 Jul 2014, 8:35 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Been to Dublin a few times, never done a bus tour though...The Belfast one was funny, at Stormont, the Polis and his sniffer dog got on the bus, N.Ireland being the way it is security wise, the Polis did random checks for bombs on the buses, the dog took an interest in me and this fella sitting behind me, to the point the dog practically sticking it's nose right in the blokes crotch

Never done the Belfast one.
It must have been the late 90's when we drove more or less up to the front door of Stormont.

I was sh!tting myself wondering how far we would get and what would happen (we were in a hire car, with NI plates) if we got so far.

It was mad.
Especially in a place like Belfast.

Anyway, getting back on topic Wink

Forgot to mention a tale from earlier this week on the x1.
A lass got on with a Scottish tenner.
The driver wasn't happy and stated that as it wasn't out of a cash machine and not legal tender and he wasn't going to accept it.
The lass was a tad taken aback and embarrassed by this point, pointing out it was legal tender - convincing the driver he should take it, which he reluctantly did.

The old age pensioner, standing behind the lass offered to swap it for English money - which of course was no problem to the driver.
He wasn't willing to accept it, on the basis it wasn't legal tender - but was more than happy to swap with the the oap.
Marxista Fozzski
(23 Jul 2014, 8:58 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Never done the Belfast one.
It must have been the late 90's when we drove more or less up to the front door of Stormont.

I was sh!tting myself wondering how far we would get and what would happen (we were in a hire car, with NI plates) if we got so far.

It was mad.
Especially in a place like Belfast.

Anyway, getting back on topic Wink

Forgot to mention a tale from earlier this week on the x1.
A lass got on with a Scottish tenner.
The driver wasn't happy and stated that as it wasn't out of a cash machine and not legal tender and he wasn't going to accept it.
The lass was a tad taken aback and embarrassed by this point, pointing out it was legal tender - convincing the driver he should take it, which he reluctantly did.

The old age pensioner, standing behind the lass offered to swap it for English money - which of course was no problem to the driver.
He wasn't willing to accept it, on the basis it wasn't legal tender - but was more than happy to swap with the the oap.

What exactly does Legal Tender mean, the only time I have ever heard the words Legal Tender is when a Scottish or Northern Irish Banknote is produced, as if the phrase was invented specifically for the moment you produce Scottish/N.I. Notes, the driver not happy to take it off a passenger, but very happy to swap it with an old dear hahaha, I spent a N.I 10er in Newcastle Airport once and the cashier looked at me like he had just caught me shagging his Mrs up the chuff
(23 Jul 2014, 9:11 pm)marxistafozzski wrote What exactly does Legal Tender mean, the only time I have ever heard the words Legal Tender is when a Scottish or Northern Irish Banknote is produced, as if the phrase was invented specifically for the moment you produce Scottish/N.I. Notes, the driver not happy to take it off a passenger, but very happy to swap it with an old dear hahaha, I spent a N.I 10er in Newcastle Airport once and the cashier looked at me like he had just caught me shagging his Mrs up the chuff

Coins or banknotes that must be accepted.
(22 Jul 2014, 8:35 pm)aureolin wrote I think it'd work if it went express between Durham and Middlesbrough. Arriva irritated a lot of passengers when they made the X1 stop at every stop between Durham and Coxhoe, as it adds a good 15-20 mins on a busy run. Whilst it does get a lot of uni use with their free passes, there's also a lot of college students who'd perhaps benefit from the Get Around scheme.

On that note you can't use them on the X9/X10, so I doubt they'll do that
(23 Jul 2014, 9:15 pm)Tom wrote Coins or banknotes that must be accepted.

And also bloody annoying as the machines we use for paying in won't accept them. Always the first note to get rid of as change!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Site Administrator
(23 Jul 2014, 10:30 pm)benambro wrote On that note you can't use them on the X9/X10, so I doubt they'll do that
You can (as I regularly do use mine).

You can't purchase a 90p single on board the TTX with your Get Around Key Card but a £3.75 Get Around day ticket is perfectly valid.

As it's unlikely that a customer is actually going to live on the route of the TTX and would have to purchase a 90p single to and from part of the route, they would incur a cost of £3.60 regardless - just by purchasing single tickets - and most would have opted for the extra 15p for a day ticket if so anyway.

The WTX does accept 90p singles, and I'd guess that if something was to come of a Durham - Middlesbrough express, it would too. If nothing else, it encourages further custom.

To add my own thoughts on the discussion, ever since the WTX was implemented, I've thought it would be good for GNE to at least have an hourly service going up and down between the two places, allowing Middlesbrough to be easily linked with Go North East services to Bishop Auckland, Stanley, Consett, etc.