Menu

Pages (146)    132 33 34146   
R852 PRG   21 Jul 2014, 5:40 pm
The story of Dorie Miller has always inspired me;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gshbde_6Jyo

Basically, he was a cook onboard the USS West Virginia during the Attack on Pearl Harbor. He had become friends with the ships captain, Mervyn S. Bennion. As bombs struck the ship from the Japs up in the sky, one hit the bridge, killing all but Bennion. Miller made his way to the command deck, and attempted to move his captain, who had had his stomach torn open by shrapnel, who was still barking orders to his crew. He died before Miller could help him, but nonetheless, Miller, who had never even fired a weapon (being seen as lower-class at the time due to his color), took up an AA gun and shot down numerous Japanese Planes. For that he became the first black person to receive The Navy Cross. In 1943, he was serving aboard the USS Lacoma Bay, when it was torpedoed. His fate was never understood, although it is likely he was killed along with the majority of the crew. His body was never found.
MrFozz   21 Jul 2014, 5:52 pm
(21 Jul 2014, 5:40 pm)Marcus wrote The story of Dorie Miller has always inspired me;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gshbde_6Jyo

Basically, he was a cook onboard the USS West Virginia during the Attack on Pearl Harbor. He had become friends with the ships captain, Mervyn S. Bennion. As bombs struck the ship from the Japs up in the sky, one hit the bridge, killing all but Bennion. Miller made his way to the command deck, and attempted to move his captain, who had had his stomach torn open by shrapnel, who was still barking orders to his crew. He died before Miller could help him, but nonetheless, Miller, who had never even fired a weapon (being seen as lower-class at the time due to his color), took up an AA gun and shot down numerous Japanese Planes. For that he became the first black person to receive The Navy Cross. In 1943, he was serving aboard the USS Lacoma Bay, when it was torpedoed. His fate was never understood, although it is likely he was killed along with the majority of the crew. His body was never found.

Quite some story when you think about the time he grew up in, a 2nd class citizen due to segreagation and segregated forces, pretty much the lowest of the low.

One story I like out of World War 2 is that of Dick Winters and Co.E 101st Airborne...The Band of Brothers
R852 PRG   21 Jul 2014, 6:15 pm
(21 Jul 2014, 5:52 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Quite some story when you think about the time he grew up in, a 2nd class citizen due to segreagation and segregated forces, pretty much the lowest of the low.

One story I like out of World War 2 is that of Dick Winters and Co.E 101st Airborne...The Band of Brothers

I know - a homeless white person was more important than a millionaire black person.
MrFozz   21 Jul 2014, 6:27 pm
(21 Jul 2014, 6:15 pm)Marcus wrote I know - a homeless white person was more important than a millionaire black person.

Bet there wasn't many of them at that time.

Some other good tales from that era, 1 was Jesse Owens in the 1936 Olympics, Hitler had been banging to anyone who would listen about the aryan master race and Owens stuck it to Hitler by coming away with a few medals, I think Hitler was there at some of Owens' races, the other is boxer Joe Louis, German Max Schmelling beat him in the mid-30's, Louis went on to beat the German about 1938
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   23 Jul 2014, 2:31 pm
Lots of people on Fatfield Riverside this afternoon when I went by.

It is the 1st anniversary of those two lasses drowning in the river.

I was working in Lincolnshire at the time and it was strange seeing 'back home' and somewhere I had spent a lot of time myself featuring on a more or less rolling news programme.

Hopefully friends and families can celebrate the two young lives today.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Michael   24 Jul 2014, 2:23 pm
A plane has crashed over Niger due to bad weather.

3rd one in matter of days..... it's not looking good at all..so i'll think i'll pass on air travel for a while because so far....

1 Plane goes missing (8.3.14)
1 gets blown out the sky over Ukraine (17.7.14)
1 plane crashes in Taiwan due to weather (23.7.14)
1 crashes in Niger due to bad weather (24.7.14)

Doesn't look good at all.

I wonder where/when will be the next one

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Andreos1   24 Jul 2014, 2:28 pm
(24 Jul 2014, 2:23 pm)Michael wrote A plane has crashed over Niger due to bad weather.

3rd one in matter of days..... it's not looking good at all..so i'll think i'll pass on air travel for a while because so far....

1 Plane goes missing (8.3.14)
1 gets blown out the sky over Ukraine (17.7.14)
1 plane crashes in Taiwan due to weather (23.7.14)
1 crashes in Niger due to bad weather (24.7.14)

Doesn't look good at all.

I wonder where/when will be the next one

Ah don't man Michael.
Some of us are going abroad on a plane this year Wink

Michael   24 Jul 2014, 2:34 pm
(24 Jul 2014, 2:28 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Ah don't man Michael.

Maybe but it's bloody scary to know that planes are going down far to quickly

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
R852 PRG   24 Jul 2014, 2:39 pm
(24 Jul 2014, 2:28 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Ah don't man Michael.

I'm going on Wednesday the 6th!!

Don't get me worried, Michael!!!
Andreos1   24 Jul 2014, 2:54 pm
(24 Jul 2014, 2:39 pm)Marcus wrote I'm going on Wednesday the 6th!!

Don't get me worried, Michael!!!

Ditto. NEB may be two members down!

R852 PRG   24 Jul 2014, 3:23 pm
(24 Jul 2014, 2:54 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Ditto. NEB may be two members down!

Just watch 'Seconds from Disaster' and you'll have a permanant phobia of air travel Wink
MrFozz   24 Jul 2014, 9:39 pm
Need I say more

Liz photo bombing an Austin Selfie
[Image: u8uzaty9.jpg]
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
R852 PRG   24 Jul 2014, 10:03 pm
(24 Jul 2014, 9:39 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Need I say more

Liz photo bombing an Austin Selfie
[Image: u8uzaty9.jpg]

I always knew the royals had a chip over their shoulder (pun intended)
MrFozz   25 Jul 2014, 9:17 pm
Organisers of the upcoming Split Music Festival in Sunderland have announced they will be making a donation the MH17 Tribute fund...

SPLIT FESTIVAL ANNOUNCE MH17 CHARITABLE DONATION

http://www.splitfestival.com/split 2014/media/SPLIT ANNOUNCE MH17 CHARITABLE DONATION.pdf

Split Festival have announced that, from today, they will donate £5, from all advance tickets purchased, to the fund set up in memory of Liam Sweeney and John Alder, the two Newcastle fans who tragically lost their lives in the Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 air disaster. 

The fund was created by Sunderland fan Gary Ferguson with the intention of raising £100 for a floral tribute in memory of the two football fans. The sum has since surpassed £30,000 and has united people from all areas of the North East. At the request of the families, the final total will be split between two cancer charities, the Marie Curie Hospice and the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation. Split Festival would love to see that figure rise higher and therefore have taken the decision of making a donation from each ticket bought from today in advance of the event on the weekend of August 9 and 10.

Split Festival organiser, Martyn McFadden, said: "It's a tragedy that these lads have lost their lives in such circumstances. However, it's a real testament to the strength and unity of our region that fans from Sunderland and Newcastle have come together and the money raised in their name will be a significant help to others."

McFadden, who is also the editor of Sunderland AFC fanzine A Love Supreme, added: “There will always be a healthy rivalry between Sunderland AFC and Newcastle United, but when tragedies like this occur we pull together and put bragging rights aside. It is a fantastic gesture from Sunderland fans to set up the fund, but both sets of supporters have done themselves proud in the compassion they have shown.”

Split Festival will take place on the weekend of August 9 and 10 and will feature acts such as Dizzee Rascal, Maximo Park, The Cribs, Ocean Colour Scene Acoustic and many more. Tickets are priced at £30 per day or £50 for the weekend, with under 11s entering for free with a paying adult.

For further info and interview requests contact press@splitfestival.com or visit www.splitfestival.com

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/spl...z38W7u3xRA

Absolute top notch gesture
MrFozz   28 Jul 2014, 4:00 pm
Was looking through my Google play account earlier and found I had purchased Flight Radar for my phone, must have been while ago, what I want it for I do not know...

Canny app tho, looks like it is in real time, heard a plane go over my house and could see what I assumed was the same plane on the flight app...

Anyone else got this or tried it
tyresmoke   29 Jul 2014, 4:50 pm
Not very often I get to plug something but a few weeks ago my brother was a finalist in a competition with Easyjet to win 2 return flights to anywhere on the network - unfortunately the events of MH17 in Ukraine saw them suspend it.

Anyway it has now been re-started so I need as many votes as possible to get him up there Smile
So if you have twitter, please tweet #seatforsam to @easyjet
It closes on Thursday - thanks for your time everyone !

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
R852 PRG   29 Jul 2014, 4:52 pm
(29 Jul 2014, 4:50 pm)tyresmoke wrote Not very often I get to plug something but a few weeks ago my brother was a finalist in a competition with Easyjet to win 2 return flights to anywhere on the network - unfortunately the events of MH17 in Ukraine saw them suspend it.

Anyway it has now been re-started so I need as many votes as possible to get him up there Smile

I don't have twitter - but I'll spread the word to a few people I know who do Smile
MrFozz   29 Jul 2014, 4:55 pm
(29 Jul 2014, 4:50 pm)tyresmoke wrote Not very often I get to plug something but a few weeks ago my brother was a finalist in a competition with Easyjet to win 2 return flights to anywhere on the network - unfortunately the events of MH17 in Ukraine saw them suspend it.

Is that all...just #seatforsam, or do I need to say anything else???
tyresmoke   29 Jul 2014, 4:57 pm
(29 Jul 2014, 4:55 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Is that all...just #seatforsam, or do I need to say anything else???

Just @easyjet #seatforsam will do, can add something else if you want like good luck or whatever... Smile

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

MrFozz   29 Jul 2014, 4:58 pm
(29 Jul 2014, 4:57 pm)tyresmoke wrote Just @easyjet #seatforsam will do, can add something else if you want like good luck or whatever... Smile

Done
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Malarkey   30 Jul 2014, 7:23 pm
Just been around the Shop for some Crisps for me and my Mother, to around 15 Police Cars/Vans and around 30+ Drunken Charvs hanging about outside The Highwayman, making a shit load of noise, obviously something has kicked off, but no idea what.
Adrian   30 Jul 2014, 7:57 pm
(30 Jul 2014, 7:23 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Just been around the Shop for some Crisps for me and my Mother, to around 15 Police Cars/Vans and around 30+ Drunken Charvs hanging about outside The Highwayman, making a shit load of noise, obviously something has kicked off, but no idea what.
Business as usual then? Smile

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
R852 PRG   30 Jul 2014, 7:59 pm
(30 Jul 2014, 7:23 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Just been around the Shop for some Crisps for me and my Mother, to around 15 Police Cars/Vans and around 30+ Drunken Charvs hanging about outside The Highwayman, making a shit load of noise, obviously something has kicked off, but no idea what.

I sense Andreos and his FPF comrades may have 'fired a few guns' in this.... Tongue
Adrian   30 Jul 2014, 8:03 pm
Have you ever noticed how awkward it is when you flick on to Sky Sports News, and there's two blokes presenting it? Doesn't seem right without a bit of cleavage!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   30 Jul 2014, 8:17 pm
(30 Jul 2014, 7:59 pm)Marcus wrote I sense Andreos and his FPF comrades may have 'fired a few guns' in this.... Tongue

Aye, them Lambton Mad Dogs (or whatever Malarkey calls them), ain't up to much these days.

We only went armed with a spud gun, water pistol and a cowboy gun that fired caps.

(30 Jul 2014, 8:03 pm)aureolin wrote Have you ever noticed how awkward it is when you flick on to Sky Sports News, and there's two blokes presenting it? Doesn't seem right without a bit of cleavage!

Double bonus if there are two lasses on!

Malarkey   30 Jul 2014, 8:18 pm
(30 Jul 2014, 7:57 pm)aureolin wrote Business as usual then? Smile

It's never been this Bad in the 14 Years I have lived at Lambton, other than the occasional raid on Next Door, even then there is only 3 Police Cars turn up, But 15, possibly more, honestly couldn't believe it.
Adrian   30 Jul 2014, 8:21 pm
(30 Jul 2014, 8:18 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote It's never been this Bad in the 14 Years I have lived at Lambton, other than the occasional raid on Next Door, even then there is only 3 Police Cars turn up, But 15, possibly more, honestly couldn't believe it.

I seen a new documentary advertised for Lambton the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVJ92mdIH1c

Tongue

Andreos1   30 Jul 2014, 8:24 pm
(30 Jul 2014, 8:21 pm)aureolin wrote I seen a new documentary advertised for Lambton the other day.

Tongue

Gerrin, The Bill has got another mention!

#toshlyons
#stepmotheroutofemmerdale
#rmsonopeningcredits
#hashtagsonNEB

http://youtu.be/6uAo2rqWB08

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Malarkey   30 Jul 2014, 8:35 pm
(30 Jul 2014, 8:21 pm)aureolin wrote I seen a new documentary advertised for Lambton the other day.

Tongue

Reckon another Series could be Possible if they were to drag it out for has happened on Lambton in the Past 14 Years.

- Several Drugs Raids on my Neighbour, 1 in the Flats across the Road from mine Last Year along with one at The Highwayman, Then what has occurred Tonight, Also I am pretty sure the Owner of the Shop/Chippy was done for Employing Illegal Immigrants, as a Number of them have came and gone over the Years.

- We could further expand this to Washington as a Hole, As there been a few Murders in Recent Years e.g. That young lad at Fatfield, and that one in Oxclose.

- There has been Numerous Rape incidents also over Concord Way as well.

Overall there is plenty of scope for "The Bill: Washington"

We could expand even further to the North East as a Hole

Potential Bomb at Newcastle University.
The Guy who got his Throat Slit at the Hairdressers near Central Station.
The Fan who punched a Horse "Tyne and Wear Derby".
Raoul Moat "Hide and Seek" across the Region (Special Guest appearance by Gazza).

Just a few examples for "The Bill: North East"
Simmy   30 Jul 2014, 8:37 pm
(30 Jul 2014, 8:35 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Just a few examples for "The Bill: North East"

Reminds me.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO8Rjp281RE Big Grin

*Contains swearing and general banter*
Pages (146)    132 33 34146