You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014

Site Administrator
RE: Go North East - Latest
(04 Aug 2014, 8:26 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Well 9120 entered Service on Friday 1st August on the X66, So I would assume it's last day on the X66 will be Friday 8th, or Sunday 10th at the Latest before moving to another Depot on Monday 11th, and continuing in Service on Tuesday 12th, as the Drivers will need Familiarization beforehand, which as we know takes a Day.

Remember that the X66 rota is still dedicated (which is why you see drivers with epaulettes when using the X66), and it's tiny...

All drivers at Stanley will have to receive familiarisation with the Merc, so one should assume it will take longer.
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(04 Aug 2014, 8:34 pm)Dan wrote Remember that the X66 rota is still dedicated (which is why you see drivers with epaulettes when using the X66), and it's tiny...

All drivers at Stanley will have to receive familiarisation with the Merc, so one should assume it will take longer.
Sounds like an endless task. Don't think I've seen the same driver on the Lime services twice, in all the years I've used them!
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
(04 Aug 2014, 8:43 pm)aureolin wrote Sounds like an endless task. Don't think I've seen the same driver on the Lime services twice, in all the years I've used them!
There used to be one that always did the same morning run that I used from The Wavendon to Park Lane on a weekday morning, but I can't remember whether it was a Stanley run or indeed Chester.

Same used to apply for one of the early morning runs out of Sunderland on a Saturday.

No idea if either still do do them (especially since all the rotas have now combined) as I don't live over that way anymore, so rarely - if ever - use those runs.
(04 Aug 2014, 8:43 pm)aureolin wrote Sounds like an endless task. Don't think I've seen the same driver on the Lime services twice, in all the years I've used them!

I think now it will take a long time because of the massive rota now, but surely the depot would plan out the duties in advance to work out which drivers will wind up driving the vehicle (that is assuming it's always allocated to the same board), to save time, perhaps?
(04 Aug 2014, 8:34 pm)Dan wrote Remember that the X66 rota is still dedicated (which is why you see drivers with epaulettes when using the X66), and it's tiny...

You'd imagine GNE would want to use a limited amount of respected drivers to trail a new 'product'. Put this way in my line of work if I trailing a 'new concept' I'd ask some of my best work force to do it rather than just letting any old billy do it.
You'd thought management would want and need feedback they could trust from the drivers.
(04 Aug 2014, 9:17 pm)Drifter60 wrote You'd imagine GNE would want to use a limited amount of respected drivers to trail a new 'product'. Put this way in my line of work if I trailing a 'new concept' I'd ask some of my best work force to do it rather than just letting any old billy do it.
You'd thought management would want and need feedback they could trust from the drivers.

How would you quantify respected drivers - most drivers think they are good drivers and if the majority of the depot is going to drive the vehicle, the opinions of all have to be taken into account.

The trouble with picking a handful of drivers is if the vehicle is bought and the rest of the depot then start to drive it and then there is issues, the handful of drivers who drove it get it in the neck...
Site Administrator
(04 Aug 2014, 9:24 pm)citaro5284 wrote How would you quantify respected drivers - most drivers think they are good drivers and if the majority of the depot is going to drive the vehicle, the opinions of all have to be taken into account.

The trouble with picking a handful of drivers is if the vehicle is bought and the rest of the depot then start to drive it and then there is issues, the handful of drivers who drove it get it in the neck...

Agreed. I also think that the issue of cherry-picking certain drivers based on how 'good' they are would be that it would immediately create a divide.

Aureolin mentioned that a low cost unit set up in a normal depot could have the same effect, but in my opinion, it'll just be where new recruits start out (similar to Saltmeadows as you mentioned yesterday).

If all drivers at a depot receive familiatisation with that vehicle, they can all give management some feedback - even if it does just boil down to a certain button on the dash being inconveniently placed - which will ultimately help the product's manufacturer too, as it's entirely possible that they will alter as and where appropriate.

The more crucial feedback will come from the drivers who have driven the bus, and that goes without saying, but it is best to get a variety of opinions from these drivers so that any issues can be discussed with Mercedes prior to any of the vehicles being ordered (if that is the case).
Site Administrator
Scania L94 4970 has returned to service at Deptford following repaint, with 4971 now taking its place at Saltmeadows.
(05 Aug 2014, 6:29 am)Dan wrote Scania L94 4970 has returned to service at Deptford following repaint, with 4971 now taking its place at Saltmeadows.

They getting through them quick
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
5232 left Hexham 14:45 (on time) on X85 with only three empty seats.

I don't know whether the Arriva 685 was a no-show.
(05 Aug 2014, 2:57 pm)G-CPTN wrote 5232 left Hexham 14:45 (on time) on X85 with only three empty seats.

The 85 arrived in Newcastle at approximately 15:15.
(05 Aug 2014, 2:57 pm)G-CPTN wrote 5232 left Hexham 14:45 (on time) on X85 with only three empty seats.

Saw the 13:10 X85 arrival at Newcastle whilst driving earlier. That too looked very busy.
(05 Aug 2014, 3:06 pm)Adam wrote Saw the 13:10 X85 arrival at Newcastle whilst driving earlier. That too looked very busy.

That would have been the X84.
(05 Aug 2014, 3:09 pm)Tom wrote That would have been the X84.

Sorry, meant the 13:40. Was definitely an X85
(05 Aug 2014, 3:37 pm)Adam wrote Sorry, meant the 13:40. Was definitely an X85

Aye that would have been the X85 Smile
Site Administrator
..and given that the X85 is usually the quieter of the two, it's incredibly impressive and begs the question what loadings have been like on the 685?
(05 Aug 2014, 3:43 pm)Dan wrote ..and given that the X85 is usually the quieter of the two, it's incredibly impressive and begs the question what loadings have been like on the 685?

Crap - the 85 I saw had about three passengers!
(05 Aug 2014, 2:42 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Driver for the 15:20 - 27 - Gateshead to Shields hasn't turned up, Now on the 15:31 is now running 10 Mins Late as a Result

15:31 was around 15 Minutes Late coming into Heworth earlier and was overtaken by the 15:41 along Sunderland Road, The Driver of the 15:20 looked to of eventually showed up as he/she pulled into Heworth (N.I.S), Before heading off towards Shields a few minutes after the 15:31/41 from Gateshead.

It was total chaos, The Driver who finished at 15:20 was amused either as it affected his Meal Break, he tried on Several Occasions to get in touch with Control via the Microphone thing on the Bus and via his Mobile, But he heard nothing back in the 10 Minutes we waited before the 15:31 pulled in.
(04 Aug 2014, 4:31 pm)aureolin wrote Looks like someone has acted upon my suggestion at GNE HQ Smile For the Great North Run, they're making available a special 3 day m-ticket for £10. It appears to have no restrictions, other than it must be used on the 5th - 7th September. Not bad!

https://www.simplygo.com/news/great-nort...kets#fares

Is that the same 3 day M-Ticket that was also available last year and for £10 ?
(05 Aug 2014, 4:33 pm)busman101 wrote Is that the same 3 day M-Ticket that was also available last year and for £10 ?

Can't even recall it being advertised last year if I'm honest. Which is surprising, as the posters usually remain on the buses for 2 months after the event.
Got a Yellow Bus on the X71 earlier towards Newcastle

Were these buses every refurbed at any point, and has anything been added to them since they first arrived.

Personally I think if they have of been refurbed, new seats etc, they would look alot better, and maybe smell better.

Shame really they are to be withdrawn, they seem to take hills and difficult roads with ease, dont know what the drivers think about them.
(05 Aug 2014, 5:11 pm)Arcticrossy92 wrote Got a Yellow Bus on the X71 earlier towards Newcastle

Were these buses every refurbed at any point, and has anything been added to them since they first arrived.

Personally I think if they have of been refurbed, new seats etc, they would look alot better, and maybe smell better.

Shame really they are to be withdrawn, they seem to take hills and difficult roads with ease, dont know what the drivers think about them.

If you think Palatine 2s take hills well, you should try a Palatine 1 on a hill Wink

When 3825 was at Chester, many drivers told me it was one of the smoothest buses in the depot.
(05 Aug 2014, 5:11 pm)Arcticrossy92 wrote Got a Yellow Bus on the X71 earlier towards Newcastle

I'm pretty sure they've never been at least internally refurbished since the day they got the Palatine 2s. They're good solid buses, and I'm convinced that they'd last a good while yet, had it not been an enforced move. It's always a pleasure to see one of these turn up instead of the usual bus.
(05 Aug 2014, 5:53 pm)Andy wrote Heard a Stanley driver saying that 3814 was one of the best buses he'd drove

What is he talking about! There is hardly any noise of the air been released when the doors open and is quite and smooth in general but when it sees a bank...bloody hell! It goes into snail mode. Around 5mph and sometimes even has to stop and restart to give it an extra boot.