You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Poll: Which type of mobile phone do you have?

You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Apple iOS 8 (19.51%)
Android 25 (60.98%)
Windows Phone 4 (9.76%)
Blackberry 1 (2.44%)
Other (or non-smartphone) 3 (7.32%)
* You voted for this item. Total: 41 vote(s) (100%)
RE: Mobile Phones
Little rant here.

Carphone Warehouse have a bad repuatition. But then again a lot of mobile phone retailers do. I thought I couldn't go wrong with buyign a sim only phone from them.

I was a proud owner of a Samsung S3. Great I thought. Except last night I put it on charge and it wasn't charging - or was getting so little charge whilst I was using it the battery died.

I google'd the problem and they suggested an app from Play Store for 50p to see how much charge its getting. The report said full. This was with 3 different USB cables, two different plugs (one combination was the original) and no success - but same readings.

So I decided to look at the charger port and can't see anything. So look at end of USB cables and on the original USB cable supplied with the phone one of the gold connectors has snapped off. I ring Carphone Warehouse and they said it more than likely won't be covered by the warranty and that I will have to pay for a repair. Even though after a quick google on various android forums it states that the S3 is a fantastic phone but as usual the USB cables are rubbish.

I will update tomorrow what they say but if I do have to pay for repair is not worth going to a small local retailer to get it repaired? I can't afford not to have my phone (my office landline is on constant divert to my mobile) and Carphone Warehouse can take up to two weeks for the repair! Before I go tomorrow has anyone had experience of any of the small independent retailers like the one on Sea Rd, Sunderland?
(12 Jan 2014, 5:00 pm)idiot wrote Little rant here.

Carphone Warehouse have a bad repuatition. But then again a lot of mobile phone retailers do. I thought I couldn't go wrong with buyign a sim only phone from them.

I was a proud owner of a Samsung S3. Great I thought. Except last night I put it on charge and it wasn't charging - or was getting so little charge whilst I was using it the battery died.

I google'd the problem and they suggested an app from Play Store for 50p to see how much charge its getting. The report said full. This was with 3 different USB cables, two different plugs (one combination was the original) and no success - but same readings.

So I decided to look at the charger port and can't see anything. So look at end of USB cables and on the original USB cable supplied with the phone one of the gold connectors has snapped off. I ring Carphone Warehouse and they said it more than likely won't be covered by the warranty and that I will have to pay for a repair. Even though after a quick google on various android forums it states that the S3 is a fantastic phone but as usual the USB cables are rubbish.

I will update tomorrow what they say but if I do have to pay for repair is not worth going to a small local retailer to get it repaired? I can't afford not to have my phone (my office landline is on constant divert to my mobile) and Carphone Warehouse can take up to two weeks for the repair! Before I go tomorrow has anyone had experience of any of the small independent retailers like the one on Sea Rd, Sunderland?

Used the ones on Chester Road and in the Galleries, but never for anything like you need.
They always seem to have done a good job.qp
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Marxista Fozzski
Getting a Galaxy Note 3 hopefully tomorrow on Three...

300 Minutes(2000 3-2-3 Minutes)
Unlimited Text
Unlimited Data plus 2GB Mobile Tethering
Free to 0800

37 Quid a month
(18 Aug 2014, 9:49 am)Jimmi wrote My Nokia Lumia 520 (Windows Phone) had a major update last night, so today I'm having fun trying to figure out where all the buttons are now and what my new features do.

Still waiting for my update.
Tried forcing one through earlier by searching for an update, but didn't find one.

What is the new update like?
(18 Aug 2014, 1:07 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Still waiting for my update.
Tried forcing one through earlier by searching for an update, but didn't find one.

What is the new update like?

On mine you can now have a wallpaper on the tiles and on the lock screen the clock is bigger, there is a few new apps including one to check your storage. Not liking the way it connects to the WiFi though. The internet browser is different too.
(18 Aug 2014, 1:13 pm)Jimmi wrote On mine you can now have a wallpaper on the tiles and on the lock screen the clock is bigger, there is a few new apps including one to check your storage. Not liking the way it connects to the WiFi though. The internet browser is different too.

I have been using UC Browser for a few weeks now - prefer it over IE (can upload docs to the forum too, whereas IE wont let me).

Will see when it comes through - not sure whether to look forward to it or not :s
(18 Aug 2014, 1:18 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote I have been using UC Browser for a few weeks now - prefer it over IE (can upload docs to the forum too, whereas IE wont let me).

Will see when it comes through - not sure whether to look forward to it or not :s

I'm hating it.

The internet browser is terrible, this evening whilst looking at links to photos on Flickr from this site, when you click the link the screen goes black and it feels like its opening a new tab when it hasn't and it freezes and you press back when it happens and it reacts about 10 minutes later.

Connecting to public WiFi is awful its weird sometimes it goes to a screen where it has two buttons which are skip and cancel neither seem to do anything and it seems like a cryptic puzzle just to get to the page to the page to connect to the WiFi.

I going to have a look at WiFi settings later and hope that helps makes things better.
Site Administrator
Android update this morning... Anyone know what's been done? It took a fair amount of time for it to download and install but the only thing I've found different is the options...

'GPS' has changed to 'Location'.
(31 Aug 2014, 11:56 am)Dan wrote Android update this morning... Anyone know what's been done? It took a fair amount of time for it to download and install but the only thing I've found different is the options...

'GPS' has changed to 'Location'.
Which one was it? Mine updated to 4.4.4 last week (having missed 4.4.3) and I can only find two obvious things, however I assume these will be limited to Sonys as they are to do with their software (Stamina and Whats New). One other small thing I've noticed is that the names of some shortcuts have changed
(01 Sep 2014, 7:46 pm)aureolin wrote My Xperia Z1 went nuts after updating to Android 4.4.4. I've spent the past hour reimaging my phone in recovery mode.
Weird, mine hasn't been the same since the update either, not completely nuts but small annoying things Undecided
(19 Aug 2014, 6:51 pm)Jimmi wrote I'm hating it.

The internet browser is terrible, this evening whilst looking at links to photos on Flickr from this site, when you click the link the screen goes black and it feels like its opening a new tab when it hasn't and it freezes and you press back when it happens and it reacts about 10 minutes later.

Connecting to public WiFi is awful its weird sometimes it goes to a screen where it has two buttons which are skip and cancel neither seem to do anything and it seems like a cryptic puzzle just to get to the page to the page to connect to the WiFi.

I going to have a look at WiFi settings later and hope that helps makes things better.

Have you changed your mind yet?
Mine is sitting, waiting to be downloaded.

Busy backing up my photos to the cloud (checking for rudey ones - don't want MrsConstantopolous being posted around the world in a few years time) at the mo.

Waiting with baited breath!
(03 Sep 2014, 11:28 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Have you changed your mind yet?
Mine is sitting, waiting to be downloaded.

Busy backing up my photos to the cloud (checking for rudey ones - don't want MrsConstantopolous being posted around the world in a few years time) at the mo.

Waiting with baited breath!

The internet browser is still annoying me with opening new tabs and the connecting to public Wi-Fi is a pain, other than that its basically the same as it was before the update.
(03 Sep 2014, 2:58 pm)Jimmi wrote The internet browser is still annoying me with opening new tabs and the connecting to public Wi-Fi is a pain, other than that its basically the same as it was before the update.

Just a few little changes - glad I backed my photos up though!
Camera Roll is now empty. Checked One Drive and they are all in there fortunately.
Site Administrator
(05 Sep 2014, 9:03 pm)mb134 wrote Has anyone else using Android and Chrome just updated Chrome? Loving it, looks far better in my opinion Big Grin

Quite like it!
Does anyone else (especially Windows Phone users like me) regularly have difficulty connecting to WiFi networks. For about a fortnight now my phone has taken about 5 minutes just to connect to my WiFi at home but everything else connects fine. Also I went to McDonalds last night and my phone wouldn't connect to their WiFi, well it did at one point (for about 5 seconds!) and have similar problems with other places' WiFi, it especially hates O2 WiFi zones.
(15 Dec 2014, 1:06 pm)Jimmi wrote Does anyone else (especially Windows Phone users like me) regularly have difficulty connecting to WiFi networks. For about a fortnight now my phone has taken about 5 minutes just to connect to my WiFi at home but everything else connects fine. Also I went to McDonalds last night and my phone wouldn't connect to their WiFi, well it did at one point (for about 5 seconds!) and have similar problems with other places' WiFi, it especially hates O2 WiFi zones.

The only issue I have, is with BT Openzone on occasions.
The ipad and laptop will connect, but the phone won't or drops out. Not sure if it is a certain BT hotpspot though, as other hotspots are fine.

Everything else, no issues at all.
Looking at the 'known networks', I have 26 networks I have used on more than one occasion and they have been fine.
I have no idea why it is so woeful, I don't know whether to blame the phone or WiFi networks.

Some networks it is fine with for example it normally works fine with Arriva's WiFi networks but hates Go North East then it will work in one place but not another, it is infuriating.