Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (45) Previous 142 43 44 45 Next
30 Aug 2014, 6:43 pm #841
(30 Aug 2014, 6:29 pm)Marcus Agreed - I think the record for how many times the external reader has failed for my Key Card was five times. Dodgy

I've never had an external reader fail to read the card first time, but on the few occasions I've been on a bus when it's out of use it has sometimes taken two or three attempts on the machine reader as it's more difficult to position the card. I have always thought the external readers are a good idea and in my experience work well. GNE never persists with things and gives up far too easily. Hence the farcical number of timetable changes we are getting at the moment; some routes are changing monthly!
Greg in Weardale
30 Aug 2014, 6:43 pm #841

(30 Aug 2014, 6:29 pm)Marcus Agreed - I think the record for how many times the external reader has failed for my Key Card was five times. Dodgy

I've never had an external reader fail to read the card first time, but on the few occasions I've been on a bus when it's out of use it has sometimes taken two or three attempts on the machine reader as it's more difficult to position the card. I have always thought the external readers are a good idea and in my experience work well. GNE never persists with things and gives up far too easily. Hence the farcical number of timetable changes we are getting at the moment; some routes are changing monthly!

Andreos1

30 Aug 2014, 6:44 pm #842
(30 Aug 2014, 6:41 pm)citaro5284 How much taxpayers money did GNE get for the readers alone?

According to official documents, the two divisions got quite a few quid.
Will see if I can find the document - the links for several years grants, are elsewhere on the forum.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio...incentives
Edited 30 Aug 2014, 6:46 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
30 Aug 2014, 6:44 pm #842

(30 Aug 2014, 6:41 pm)citaro5284 How much taxpayers money did GNE get for the readers alone?

According to official documents, the two divisions got quite a few quid.
Will see if I can find the document - the links for several years grants, are elsewhere on the forum.

Dan

Site Administrator

30 Aug 2014, 6:47 pm #843
(30 Aug 2014, 6:43 pm)Greg in Weardale I've never had an external reader fail to read the card first time, but on the few occasions I've been on a bus when it's out of use it has sometimes taken two or three attempts on the machine reader as it's more difficult to position the card. I have always thought the external readers are a good idea and in my experience work well. GNE never persists with things and gives up far too easily. Hence the farcical number of timetable changes we are getting at the moment; some routes are changing monthly!

.png
yawn.png
Size 194.63 KB / Downloads 19

This again?
Dan
30 Aug 2014, 6:47 pm #843

(30 Aug 2014, 6:43 pm)Greg in Weardale I've never had an external reader fail to read the card first time, but on the few occasions I've been on a bus when it's out of use it has sometimes taken two or three attempts on the machine reader as it's more difficult to position the card. I have always thought the external readers are a good idea and in my experience work well. GNE never persists with things and gives up far too easily. Hence the farcical number of timetable changes we are getting at the moment; some routes are changing monthly!

.png
yawn.png
Size 194.63 KB / Downloads 19

This again?

citaro5284

30 Aug 2014, 6:50 pm #844
(30 Aug 2014, 6:44 pm)Andreos Constantopolous According to official documents, the two divisions got quite a few quid.

Sure, of course we now need to know the split between the ETM and reader and not just the grand total.
citaro5284
30 Aug 2014, 6:50 pm #844

(30 Aug 2014, 6:44 pm)Andreos Constantopolous According to official documents, the two divisions got quite a few quid.

Sure, of course we now need to know the split between the ETM and reader and not just the grand total.

30 Aug 2014, 6:57 pm #845
(30 Aug 2014, 6:41 pm)Tom That's a bit bad like - did you complain?

Just gave him the Marcus Glare of Doom. Wink
R852 PRG
30 Aug 2014, 6:57 pm #845

(30 Aug 2014, 6:41 pm)Tom That's a bit bad like - did you complain?

Just gave him the Marcus Glare of Doom. Wink

Andreos1

30 Aug 2014, 7:05 pm #846
(30 Aug 2014, 6:50 pm)citaro5284 Sure, of course we now need to know the split between the ETM and reader and not just the grand total.

Which is why I asked the initial question... Huh

Andreos1
30 Aug 2014, 7:05 pm #846

(30 Aug 2014, 6:50 pm)citaro5284 Sure, of course we now need to know the split between the ETM and reader and not just the grand total.

Which is why I asked the initial question... Huh

Richyyk

30 Aug 2014, 7:29 pm #847
Mini update on the former Sunderland Road depot, large section of the roof now missing from the side shed so presumably demolition is progressing pretty quickly.
Richyyk
30 Aug 2014, 7:29 pm #847

Mini update on the former Sunderland Road depot, large section of the roof now missing from the side shed so presumably demolition is progressing pretty quickly.

Adrian

30 Aug 2014, 7:34 pm #848
Bit of a shame about the external readers, but agree they seem to be unreliable. If not only for the fact the displays have gone on most of them. I just hope drivers will be instructed to allow the customer to place the pass themselves, without trying to take it off the holder to do it for them.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
30 Aug 2014, 7:34 pm #848

Bit of a shame about the external readers, but agree they seem to be unreliable. If not only for the fact the displays have gone on most of them. I just hope drivers will be instructed to allow the customer to place the pass themselves, without trying to take it off the holder to do it for them.

Dan

Site Administrator

30 Aug 2014, 7:41 pm #849
(30 Aug 2014, 7:34 pm)aureolin Bit of a shame about the external readers, but agree they seem to be unreliable. If not only for the fact the displays have gone on most of them. I just hope drivers will be instructed to allow the customer to place the pass themselves, without trying to take it off the holder to do it for them.

Always preferred the external readers, but the majority of people who use them (fair statement to make?) are so easily confused when they don't work and have to use the ETMs instead.

Mind, not so sure on the other point... There are some pensioners who are so frail that it looks like their arms are going to drop off when they have to reach up to the ETMs on buses. The length of time some of them take, I'm glad some of the drivers just put their hands out and offer to do it for them.
Dan
30 Aug 2014, 7:41 pm #849

(30 Aug 2014, 7:34 pm)aureolin Bit of a shame about the external readers, but agree they seem to be unreliable. If not only for the fact the displays have gone on most of them. I just hope drivers will be instructed to allow the customer to place the pass themselves, without trying to take it off the holder to do it for them.

Always preferred the external readers, but the majority of people who use them (fair statement to make?) are so easily confused when they don't work and have to use the ETMs instead.

Mind, not so sure on the other point... There are some pensioners who are so frail that it looks like their arms are going to drop off when they have to reach up to the ETMs on buses. The length of time some of them take, I'm glad some of the drivers just put their hands out and offer to do it for them.

Adrian

30 Aug 2014, 7:45 pm #850
(30 Aug 2014, 7:41 pm)Dan Always preferred the external readers, but the majority of people who use them (fair statement to make?) are so easily confused when they don't work and have to use the ETMs instead.

I preferred them, but maybe I'm thinking that is because it's awkward to reach the reader at present. If that's changing it'll perhaps be a bit easier. I agree that it's awkward for those who are frail, and quite possibly wheelchair users too. I'd actually be surprised if it's compliant with the equality act, but others seem to do it so...

On my other point I guess it's personal preference? I refuse to hand my ticket over unless it's being officially requested. I'm mildly OCD though so I dislike people 'touching my stuff'. Makes it a bit awkward because drivers think I'm being funny with them! Smile

Adrian
30 Aug 2014, 7:45 pm #850

(30 Aug 2014, 7:41 pm)Dan Always preferred the external readers, but the majority of people who use them (fair statement to make?) are so easily confused when they don't work and have to use the ETMs instead.

I preferred them, but maybe I'm thinking that is because it's awkward to reach the reader at present. If that's changing it'll perhaps be a bit easier. I agree that it's awkward for those who are frail, and quite possibly wheelchair users too. I'd actually be surprised if it's compliant with the equality act, but others seem to do it so...

On my other point I guess it's personal preference? I refuse to hand my ticket over unless it's being officially requested. I'm mildly OCD though so I dislike people 'touching my stuff'. Makes it a bit awkward because drivers think I'm being funny with them! Smile

Adrian

30 Aug 2014, 8:59 pm #851
Does anyone know which yellow MPD is outside Washington depot at the moment? Passed too quickly to get the number, but it's one of the ones with ex-Venture text along the roof line.

Adrian
30 Aug 2014, 8:59 pm #851

Does anyone know which yellow MPD is outside Washington depot at the moment? Passed too quickly to get the number, but it's one of the ones with ex-Venture text along the roof line.

Dan

Site Administrator

30 Aug 2014, 9:04 pm #852
(30 Aug 2014, 8:59 pm)aureolin Does anyone know which yellow MPD is outside Washington depot at the moment? Passed too quickly to get the number, but it's one of the ones with ex-Venture text along the roof line.

544:
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/fleet/gnefle...leetno=544
Dan
30 Aug 2014, 9:04 pm #852

(30 Aug 2014, 8:59 pm)aureolin Does anyone know which yellow MPD is outside Washington depot at the moment? Passed too quickly to get the number, but it's one of the ones with ex-Venture text along the roof line.

544:

Adrian

30 Aug 2014, 9:06 pm #853
(30 Aug 2014, 9:04 pm)Dan 544:

Cheers! Is it still doing the shuttle work only? Probably why I've only noticed until now. Hopefully it'll get a coat of paint and left at Washington when finished, as they could do with another MPD.

Adrian
30 Aug 2014, 9:06 pm #853

(30 Aug 2014, 9:04 pm)Dan 544:

Cheers! Is it still doing the shuttle work only? Probably why I've only noticed until now. Hopefully it'll get a coat of paint and left at Washington when finished, as they could do with another MPD.

Dan

Site Administrator

31 Aug 2014, 5:51 am #854
(30 Aug 2014, 9:06 pm)aureolin Cheers! Is it still doing the shuttle work only? Probably why I've only noticed until now. Hopefully it'll get a coat of paint and left at Washington when finished, as they could do with another MPD.
Not aware of it having done anything else besifes the shuttle.
Dan
31 Aug 2014, 5:51 am #854

(30 Aug 2014, 9:06 pm)aureolin Cheers! Is it still doing the shuttle work only? Probably why I've only noticed until now. Hopefully it'll get a coat of paint and left at Washington when finished, as they could do with another MPD.
Not aware of it having done anything else besifes the shuttle.

Dan

Site Administrator

31 Aug 2014, 10:29 am #855
Originally released for repaint and subsequent transfer following the arrival of "Nexus" branded Optare Solo SR M890/Optare 632 (NK61 FEV) at Percy Main which had been pending transfer since 27th July 2014, but couldn't transfer due to being on long-term VOR prior to that date, Dennis MPD/Transbus Mini Pointer 548 (NA52 AXO) has now (finally) been transferred to Deptford Depot. This follows on from repairs at Hexham Depot, where it also saw subsequent allocation to service, and an overnight stay at Riverside Depot. At Deptford Depot, this vehicle has released DAF SB120/Wright Cadet 8272 (NK54 NLC) to Chester-le-Street Depot, where it will be allocated to service 71. As such, a "Lime" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown has been withdrawn from service.

A number of miscellaneous services (which include scholar and workers services) were up for tender from Nexus, operational from Monday 1st September 2014.

For the forthcoming academic school year, to enable the withdrawal of further high-floor Volvo Olympian vehicles, Go North East has mainly lost these tendered services to other operators - with these services then being gained by smaller independent operators such as Gateshead Central Taxis, Weardale, and Jim Hughes.

As such, a large number of buses have been re-allocated to different depots this morning, ahead of the new academic school year starting tomorrow.

Following the loss of contracts at Riverside Depot:
  • Volvo B7TL/Plaxton Presidents 6015 (V315 LGC), 6023 (V923 KGF) and 6031 (V331 LGC) have all been transferred from Riverside Depot to Percy Main.
  • As such, this has released Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3803 (V803 EBR), 3860 (W806 PNL) and 3861 (W861 PNL) from Percy Main Depot to Stanley Depot.
  • This has in turn allowed for the transfer of Volvo Olympian/Northern Counties Palatine 2 3819 (S819 OFT), 3824 (S824 OFT) and 3825 (S825 OFT) to Riverside Depot, leading to the ultimate withdrawal of similar 3815 (S815 FVK), 3817 (S817 FVK) and 3818 (S818 OFT).
  • Volvo B7TL/East Lancs Vyking 3979 (PJ02 PZF) has been transferred from Riverside Depot to Deptford.
  • This has released Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President 6028 (V328 LGC) from Deptford Depot, and it has transferred to Washington Depot, where it will be allocated to a newly gained scholar service.

Following the loss of contracts at Percy Main Depot:
  • Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3873 (W183 SCU), 3874* (W184 SCU) and 3880 (W176 SCU) have all been transferred from Percy Main Depot to Stanley.
  • As such, Volvo Olympian/Northern Counties Palatine 2 3814 (S814 FVK), 3828 (S828 OFT) and 3829 (S829 OFT) have all been withdrawn.
* This vehicle is currently VOR and unable to transfer, so one of the Volvo Olympians mentioned above will remain in service temporarily.

Following the loss of contracts at Stanley Depot:
  • Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4914 (X914 WGR) has transferred from Stanley Depot to Deptford.
  • This has released Scania L94UB/Wright Solar 4934 (Y934 ERG) from Deptford Depot to Chester-le-Street, where it will become a reserve. As such, a "Lime" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown has been withdrawn from service.

As mentioned previously, Go North East could be gaining a few additional contracts, and a number of vehicles have been temporarily held on retention at their current depots (ultimately meaning two Olympians have been retained), just in case. If Go North East does not gain these contracts, these vehicles will simply be re-allocated as originally planned.

Following the loss of services 37/73 last month, "Nexus" branded Optare Solo SR M890/Optare 635 (NK61 FJP) and 636 (NK61 FMD) have been allocated to service 38, converting this service to a cheaper minibus operation. This has in turn allowed for DAF SB120/Wright Cadet 8273 (NK54 NLD) to transfer from Deptford Depot to Chester-le-Street, where it will be allocated to service 71. As such, a "Lime" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown has been withdrawn from service.

Stanley has also lost Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4905 (W905 RBB). This vehicle has transferred to Deptford Depot, releasing Scania L94UB/Wright Solar 4935 (Y935 ERG) from Deptford Depot to Chester-le-Street Depot. This vehicle, or 4934 (which, as noted above, is a reserve), will be allocated to a scholar service for St. Bedes, and will also be allocated to the additional peak-time X21 services.

I'd imagine that the three "Lime" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown vehicles to be withdrawn are 4850 (R856 PRG), 4851 (R851 PRG), and 4852 (R852 PRG), given that they are the oldest - though Chester-le-Street may instead withdraw any of the other examples in that batch which are in a worse condition. This should be confirmed on the Go North East Fleet News tomorrow morning. I will update our fleet lists at some point today to reflect the information above.
Dan
31 Aug 2014, 10:29 am #855

Originally released for repaint and subsequent transfer following the arrival of "Nexus" branded Optare Solo SR M890/Optare 632 (NK61 FEV) at Percy Main which had been pending transfer since 27th July 2014, but couldn't transfer due to being on long-term VOR prior to that date, Dennis MPD/Transbus Mini Pointer 548 (NA52 AXO) has now (finally) been transferred to Deptford Depot. This follows on from repairs at Hexham Depot, where it also saw subsequent allocation to service, and an overnight stay at Riverside Depot. At Deptford Depot, this vehicle has released DAF SB120/Wright Cadet 8272 (NK54 NLC) to Chester-le-Street Depot, where it will be allocated to service 71. As such, a "Lime" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown has been withdrawn from service.

A number of miscellaneous services (which include scholar and workers services) were up for tender from Nexus, operational from Monday 1st September 2014.

For the forthcoming academic school year, to enable the withdrawal of further high-floor Volvo Olympian vehicles, Go North East has mainly lost these tendered services to other operators - with these services then being gained by smaller independent operators such as Gateshead Central Taxis, Weardale, and Jim Hughes.

As such, a large number of buses have been re-allocated to different depots this morning, ahead of the new academic school year starting tomorrow.

Following the loss of contracts at Riverside Depot:

• Volvo B7TL/Plaxton Presidents 6015 (V315 LGC), 6023 (V923 KGF) and 6031 (V331 LGC) have all been transferred from Riverside Depot to Percy Main.
  • As such, this has released Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3803 (V803 EBR), 3860 (W806 PNL) and 3861 (W861 PNL) from Percy Main Depot to Stanley Depot.
  • This has in turn allowed for the transfer of Volvo Olympian/Northern Counties Palatine 2 3819 (S819 OFT), 3824 (S824 OFT) and 3825 (S825 OFT) to Riverside Depot, leading to the ultimate withdrawal of similar 3815 (S815 FVK), 3817 (S817 FVK) and 3818 (S818 OFT).
  • Volvo B7TL/East Lancs Vyking 3979 (PJ02 PZF) has been transferred from Riverside Depot to Deptford.
  • This has released Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President 6028 (V328 LGC) from Deptford Depot, and it has transferred to Washington Depot, where it will be allocated to a newly gained scholar service.

Following the loss of contracts at Percy Main Depot:
  • Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3873 (W183 SCU), 3874* (W184 SCU) and 3880 (W176 SCU) have all been transferred from Percy Main Depot to Stanley.
  • As such, Volvo Olympian/Northern Counties Palatine 2 3814 (S814 FVK), 3828 (S828 OFT) and 3829 (S829 OFT) have all been withdrawn.
* This vehicle is currently VOR and unable to transfer, so one of the Volvo Olympians mentioned above will remain in service temporarily.

Following the loss of contracts at Stanley Depot:
  • Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4914 (X914 WGR) has transferred from Stanley Depot to Deptford.
  • This has released Scania L94UB/Wright Solar 4934 (Y934 ERG) from Deptford Depot to Chester-le-Street, where it will become a reserve. As such, a "Lime" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown has been withdrawn from service.

As mentioned previously, Go North East could be gaining a few additional contracts, and a number of vehicles have been temporarily held on retention at their current depots (ultimately meaning two Olympians have been retained), just in case. If Go North East does not gain these contracts, these vehicles will simply be re-allocated as originally planned.

Following the loss of services 37/73 last month, "Nexus" branded Optare Solo SR M890/Optare 635 (NK61 FJP) and 636 (NK61 FMD) have been allocated to service 38, converting this service to a cheaper minibus operation. This has in turn allowed for DAF SB120/Wright Cadet 8273 (NK54 NLD) to transfer from Deptford Depot to Chester-le-Street, where it will be allocated to service 71. As such, a "Lime" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown has been withdrawn from service.

Stanley has also lost Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4905 (W905 RBB). This vehicle has transferred to Deptford Depot, releasing Scania L94UB/Wright Solar 4935 (Y935 ERG) from Deptford Depot to Chester-le-Street Depot. This vehicle, or 4934 (which, as noted above, is a reserve), will be allocated to a scholar service for St. Bedes, and will also be allocated to the additional peak-time X21 services.

I'd imagine that the three "Lime" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown vehicles to be withdrawn are 4850 (R856 PRG), 4851 (R851 PRG), and 4852 (R852 PRG), given that they are the oldest - though Chester-le-Street may instead withdraw any of the other examples in that batch which are in a worse condition. This should be confirmed on the Go North East Fleet News tomorrow morning. I will update our fleet lists at some point today to reflect the information above.

31 Aug 2014, 11:35 am #856
(31 Aug 2014, 10:29 am)Dan Originally released for repaint and subsequent transfer following the arrival of "Nexus" branded Optare Solo SR M890/Optare 632 (NK61 FEV) at Percy Main which had been pending transfer since 27th July 2014, but couldn't transfer due to being on long-term VOR prior to that date, Dennis MPD/Transbus Mini Pointer 548 (NA52 AXO) has now (finally) been transferred to Deptford Depot. This follows on from repairs at Hexham Depot, where it also saw subsequent allocation to service, and an overnight stay at Riverside Depot. At Deptford Depot, this vehicle has released DAF SB120/Wright Cadet 8272 (NK54 NLC) to Chester-le-Street Depot, where it will be allocated to service 71. As such, a "Lime" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown has been withdrawn from service.

Cheers Dan, four new buses for me to look out for in Chester - something to get me out of bed! Tongue
R852 PRG
31 Aug 2014, 11:35 am #856

(31 Aug 2014, 10:29 am)Dan Originally released for repaint and subsequent transfer following the arrival of "Nexus" branded Optare Solo SR M890/Optare 632 (NK61 FEV) at Percy Main which had been pending transfer since 27th July 2014, but couldn't transfer due to being on long-term VOR prior to that date, Dennis MPD/Transbus Mini Pointer 548 (NA52 AXO) has now (finally) been transferred to Deptford Depot. This follows on from repairs at Hexham Depot, where it also saw subsequent allocation to service, and an overnight stay at Riverside Depot. At Deptford Depot, this vehicle has released DAF SB120/Wright Cadet 8272 (NK54 NLC) to Chester-le-Street Depot, where it will be allocated to service 71. As such, a "Lime" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown has been withdrawn from service.

Cheers Dan, four new buses for me to look out for in Chester - something to get me out of bed! Tongue

Dan

Site Administrator

31 Aug 2014, 11:39 am #857
(31 Aug 2014, 11:35 am)Marcus Cheers Dan, four new buses for me to look out for in Chester - something to get me out of bed! Tongue

No bother! Smile
Hope you don't mind - I've shortened your quote down... The post itself was rather large indeed, so I think it'll be best to shorten the subsequent quotes too.

Chester may temporarily make use of the buses they should be withdrawing. Was 4852 your favourite? If so, you may hit lucky... Tongue
Dan
31 Aug 2014, 11:39 am #857

(31 Aug 2014, 11:35 am)Marcus Cheers Dan, four new buses for me to look out for in Chester - something to get me out of bed! Tongue

No bother! Smile
Hope you don't mind - I've shortened your quote down... The post itself was rather large indeed, so I think it'll be best to shorten the subsequent quotes too.

Chester may temporarily make use of the buses they should be withdrawing. Was 4852 your favourite? If so, you may hit lucky... Tongue

Tom

31 Aug 2014, 11:39 am #858
OH NO - not more bloody Presidents.
Tom
31 Aug 2014, 11:39 am #858

OH NO - not more bloody Presidents.

31 Aug 2014, 11:39 am #859
(31 Aug 2014, 11:39 am)Dan No bother! Smile

Haha - I looked back and thought I should have edited my post myself!
R852 PRG
31 Aug 2014, 11:39 am #859

(31 Aug 2014, 11:39 am)Dan No bother! Smile

Haha - I looked back and thought I should have edited my post myself!

Andreos1

31 Aug 2014, 11:40 am #860
(31 Aug 2014, 11:39 am)Tom OH NO - not more bloody Presidents.

It could be worse - they could have been sending Vykings instead Wink

Andreos1
31 Aug 2014, 11:40 am #860

(31 Aug 2014, 11:39 am)Tom OH NO - not more bloody Presidents.

It could be worse - they could have been sending Vykings instead Wink

Pages (45) Previous 142 43 44 45 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average