You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(18 Dec 2014, 7:22 am)Tom wrote I think the Q2 could also operate commercially, as the loadings from St Peters Basin are very good.

I think the Q2 is part of the Q1 VOSA registration 
------------------------
Dan Why would services Q1/Q2 and X40 be invested in?

Surely it would be a better idea to reduce the frequency of the QuayLink to make operating it more commercially viable and use the buses saved to operate the X40, cascading to replace the rather unreliable Scania artics?
Although GNE gained the X40 contract on the basis of artic. operation, they're hardly out anyway these days, and I'm sure Great Park wouldn't argue with buses being allocated which are five years old...

In other news: 5280 and 6008 have both arrived back at Riverside and Deptford respectively, following repaint. Unsure as of yet whether any other Volvo B7s have arrived, though this could become clearer when I am back at home later today.

How often do you think they'll run, every 12-15 minutes? 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(18 Dec 2014, 7:32 am)Michael wrote I think the Q2 is part of the Q1 VOSA registration 
------------------------
Dan Why would services Q1/Q2 and X40 be invested in?

Surely it would be a better idea to reduce the frequency of the QuayLink to make operating it more commercially viable and use the buses saved to operate the X40, cascading to replace the rather unreliable Scania artics?
Although GNE gained the X40 contract on the basis of artic. operation, they're hardly out anyway these days, and I'm sure Great Park wouldn't argue with buses being allocated which are five years old...

In other news: 5280 and 6008 have both arrived back at Riverside and Deptford respectively, following repaint. Unsure as of yet whether any other Volvo B7s have arrived, though this could become clearer when I am back at home later today.

How often do you think they'll run, every 12-15 minutes? 

If they ran every 15 minutes, there would be a combined frequency of 7/8 minutes between Quayside and the City Centre, so 15 minutes should be fine?
(18 Dec 2014, 7:37 am)Tom wrote If they ran every 15 minutes, there would be a combined frequency of 7/8 minutes between Quayside and the City Centre, so 15 minutes should be fine?

Only way i think it will work if they don't want to paint any more Versa's, changing the Quaylink to every 15 minutes, means the Q3 (X40) can join with no additional buses being painted, although July is far away, anything could change. 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Is there any need for a 7/8 minute frequency between Newcastle and the Quayside? Might it be reduced to a combined ten minute frequency?
The Q2 might be included under the Q1 registration, but there again it might not be!
Is there any cause to re-register and re-brand the current X40 as the Q3 under the Quaylink brand?
The X40 doesn't go down to Quayside! It also has a twenty minute frequency.
(18 Dec 2014, 7:58 am)MurdnunoC wrote Is there any need for a 7/8 minute frequency between Newcastle and the Quayside? Might it be reduced to a combined ten minute frequency?
The Q2 might be included under the Q1 registration, but there again it might not be!
Is there any cause to re-register and re-brand the current X40 as the Q3 under the Quaylink brand?
The X40 doesn't go down to Quayside! It also has a twenty minute frequency.

We'll just have to wait and see its pure speculation atm, but i think it was mentioned before that the Quaylink could be reduced if it was took on commercial, like it is now, i also i think the Q3 came as an unexpected move to replace the X40. 

The Scania Artics from the X40 will be withdrawn, this due to high maintenance and not being very reliable, costing GNE to much, this is same as the X66 bendies, they should be gone this year, so replacing the ones on the X40 with Versa's and giving it the Quaylink brand is a good move.

This allows passengers to use the Quaylink day saver/week and family saver on the Q3 although i'm not sure how many use these tickets, however this may boost ticket sales. 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(18 Dec 2014, 8:06 am)Michael wrote We'll just have to wait and see its pure speculation atm, but i think it was mentioned before that the Quaylink could be reduced if it was took on commercial, like it is now, i also i think the Q3 came as an unexpected move to replace the X40. 

The Scania Artics from the X40 will be withdrawn, this due to high maintenance and not being very reliable, costing GNE to much, this is same as the X66 bendies, they should be gone this year, so replacing the ones on the X40 with Versa's and giving it the Quaylink brand is a good move.

This allows passengers to use the Quaylink day saver/week and family saver on the Q3 although i'm not sure how many use these tickets, however this may boost ticket sales. 

The X40 is woefully unreliable. I thought Arriva struggled but their service was better but hopefully newer vehicles will solve this.

Do wonder how many Quaylink users are Metro ticket holders who get free use. Can't see Nexus continuing funding that aspect.
I've never used the X40 but when I've been in Newcastle especially recently the branded buses have often been missing, don't think I saw any on there when I was in Newcastle on Tuesday and they were all Solars.

Hopefully this will mean newer buses as I can't imagine those Wright's are very pleasant and I think they are overkill, everytime I've seen it I've been able to count the numbers on my hands.
(18 Dec 2014, 1:11 pm)citaro5284 wrote http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2014-1...withdrawn/
I hope the branding will be suitably adapted to indicate that it's a commercial ran operation? Nexus stipulate this for NexusBus, so surely should work both ways. Can't have people thinking it's a public funded service when it's not, thanks to thoughtless council cuts.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
(18 Dec 2014, 7:01 am)Dan wrote In other news: 5280 and 6008 have both arrived back at Riverside and Deptford respectively, following repaint. Unsure as of yet whether any other Volvo B7s have arrived, though this could become clearer when I am back at home later today.

No further Volvo B7s, but Merc 5281 arrived at SMR for repaint earlier today.
Heard a canny tale from last Saturday. Whether it was a one off or is a regular occurrence, I don't know - but apparently a Durham bound 50 was dropping off passengers in the Arnison Centre (where the 14 and 64 stop), rather than the usual stop opposite KFC.

The driver had been told about traffic issues, so diverted via Pity Me and Abbey Road, scooting into the bus only road next to Sainsburys, before pulling onto the normal route at Lidl.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(18 Dec 2014, 9:14 pm)Andreos1 wrote Heard a canny tale from last Saturday. Whether it was a one off or is a regular occurrence, I don't know - but apparently a Durham bound 50 was dropping off passengers in the Arnison Centre (where the 14 and 64 stop), rather than the usual stop opposite KFC.

The driver had been told about traffic issues, so diverted via Pity Me and Abbey Road, scooting into the bus only road next to Sainsburys, before pulling onto the normal route at Lidl.

Indeed that tale is true, traffic issues along the normal entrance was backed up, so that was the route used for 2 trips only, then back to normal route after the traffic eased. 50 from durham was unaffected.
Due to a major crash involving trucks on the A69 (Corbridge bypass), traffic was diverting through Corbridge around 2pm.
The bottleneck is the stretch of Princes Street alongside the Angel Inn.
Anything that enters Corbridge from the north wanting to travel south or east or west has to pass through that section of road.

As a result the TENs and the 687 have experienced significant delays (as an example, the 687 took 20 minutes to get from Stagshaw Road to Hill Street).
Site Administrator
(18 Dec 2014, 1:11 pm)citaro5284 wrote http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2014-1...withdrawn/

First we see Go North East take over two services from Stanley Travel in January (which would have otherwise been withdrawn due to low passenger numbers), and now we see the company operating the QuayLink commercially from July due to Newcastle/Gateshead Council funding cuts.

Quite a commercial risk to operate both of those services - so it's quite an impressive and commendable move indeed.
RE: Paint Shop/Branding
(19 Dec 2014, 4:54 pm)leestransportphotos wrote Personally I despise the Northern branding, it seems half hearted

I wouldn't say I despised it, it looks nice on some buses
(19 Dec 2014, 4:51 pm)Dan wrote First we see Go North East take over two services from Stanley Travel in January (which would have otherwise been withdrawn due to low passenger numbers), and now we see the company operating the QuayLink commercially from July due to Newcastle/Gateshead Council funding cuts.

Quite a commercial risk to operate both of those services - so it's quite an impressive and commendable move indeed.

It could be, that's why i reckon we will see it dropping in frequency.

With this Q3 to, replacing the X40/40A, we may see some of the purple versa's heading over to SM for repaint in to Yellow?  
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(19 Dec 2014, 5:06 pm)ArrivaNE_7522 wrote I believe that the plain red GNE livery isn't finished yet...

You're right, that point has been made several times but only around 40% actually take notice of it...
(19 Dec 2014, 5:13 pm)Robert wrote You're right, that point has been made several times but only around 40% actually take notice of it...

I'm sure it's being said loads and loads of times, iv'e noticed a lot of people lately are just repeating questions which has being answered. 

Also people not reading other parts of the forums before posting, so the information is in 2 parts of the forum, i:e, post in GNE latest then its posted in GNE changes... 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(19 Dec 2014, 5:22 pm)leestransportphotos wrote Sorry I don't read every single post, why do people have a massive problem with me!

Calm down, were only saying, its not just aimed at you. 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(19 Dec 2014, 6:29 pm)Malarkey wrote I think the New Corporate Livery will probably end up something like image linked below, or similar and hopefully with a bit of Yellow and Blue.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/benbeaver95/14482533277/

Yes, that would be a nice livery. They could also put "Northern" on the livery. Even though it might not last long due to Quality Contracts.