You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2014

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion
I reckon the unusual allocations will be -

1- 2 X ''Highwayman'' Scania Solars.
4 - 4 X ''Laser'' or Silver Citaros.
9 - 2 X ''Simplicity'' Versas.
43/44 - 4 X ''Whey-Aye-Five-0'' Omnicities.
47 - 5 X ''Waggonway'' Solars
88 - 8 X ''Laser'' Citaros (interworking with 35B/35C)
309/310 - 7 X ''Tyne Tees Express'' B9TL's and 3 X Volvo B7TL/Wright Geminis.
X1 - 7 X ''Fab-Fifty-Six'' B9TL's
(23 Dec 2014, 12:04 pm)Tom wrote I reckon the unusual allocations will be -

43/44 - 4 X  ''Whey-Aye-Five-0'' Omnicities.

Why would 47 use Waggonway Solars when Toonlink based at Riverside?
(23 Dec 2014, 2:14 pm)JP6004 wrote Why would 47 use Waggonway Solars when Toonlink based at Riverside?

More than likely, as the service finishes/starts in Consett. 
Site Administrator
(23 Dec 2014, 2:14 pm)JP6004 wrote Why would 47 use Waggonway Solars when Toonlink based at Riverside?

Because Chester-le-Street is operating service 47, as per previous Boxing Day operations.

I'd imagine that Go North East would struggle to get even more drivers to operate Boxing Day services out of Riverside Depot.
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion
(23 Dec 2014, 2:34 pm)Dan wrote Because Chester-le-Street is operating service 47, as per previous Boxing Day operations.

I'd imagine that Go North East would struggle to get even more drivers to operate Boxing Day services out of Riverside Depot.

I constantly hear drivers talking about who is working Boxing Day. It seems to be a pretty hot topic.
Site Administrator
(23 Dec 2014, 2:38 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote I constantly hear drivers talking about who is working Boxing Day. It seems to be a pretty hot topic.

There's never very many takers, despite drivers being on triple time... Guess a lot of drivers have to toy around with the idea of spending a day with their family or going to work to pay for the Christmas presents! Wink 
Buses are allover the Place in Washington, in the space of 2 Hours I have seen 3 Heworth bound 4s Together at Concord along with an 85 and 86 running together, and the same with the 82/83, Then over The Galleries it was more of the same with 2 2As and a 2C all coming in within a Minute of each other.
Gaps of 30mins on the 4.
Seen them regulated and sent NIS via Newbottle to make up time.

A driver changeover occurred at Newbottle too on the X1. Ain't seen one of those happen there since the days of Philly depot!
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Saw on Twitter that apparently there's been a 3-vehicle crash on a slip road of the A1231 right beside the Galleries, closing one lane and causing long tailbacks in the surrounding areas. Probably explains the lateness of the buses.
(23 Dec 2014, 2:40 pm)Dan wrote There's never very many takers, despite drivers being on triple time... Guess a lot of drivers have to toy around with the idea of spending a day with their family or going to work to pay for the Christmas presents! Wink 

Triple time!!!!!, trust me that figure is a million miles from the true amount, then take into account tax & nat insurance and there's the reason why not many drivers volunteer their services.
(23 Dec 2014, 3:20 pm)Malarkey wrote Buses are allover the Place in Washington, in the space of 2 Hours I have seen 3 Heworth bound 4s Together at Concord along with an 85 and 86 running together, and the same with the 82/83, Then over The Galleries it was more of the same with 2 2As and a 2C all coming in within a Minute of each other.

Buses and drivers all over everywhere, getting into eldon sq earlier was a nightmare, getting into sunderland this afternoon via the q.e bridge was incredible.
(23 Dec 2014, 7:02 pm)nk55 wrote Buses and drivers all over everywhere, getting into eldon sq earlier was a nightmare, getting into sunderland this afternoon via the q.e bridge was incredible.
Eldon Square is a nightmare best of times. I'd much rather GNE looked to terminate on Blackett Street, instead of faffing on trying to get in and out of Eldon Square.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(23 Dec 2014, 10:16 pm)aureolin wrote Eldon Square is a nightmare best of times. I'd much rather GNE looked to terminate on Blackett Street, instead of faffing on trying to get in and out of Eldon Square.

I second this, aureolin.

Some of the queues getting into Eldon Square can be too much, once I remember looking up to Percy Street and it was gridlock!

Blackett Street is a much better option! Smile
(23 Dec 2014, 10:18 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote I second this, aureolin.

Some of the queues getting into Eldon Square can be too much, once I remember looking up to Percy Street and it was gridlock!

Blackett Street is a much better option! Smile
GNE consulted on stopping points before I seem to recall...
(23 Dec 2014, 12:04 pm)Tom wrote I reckon the unusual allocations will be -

43/44 - 4 X  ''Whey-Aye-Five-0'' Omnicities.

if its true i won't be doing bus spotting on Boxing Day due to Sunderland A.F.C. Vs Hull City both my 1st and 2nd teams are battling out with each other if Sunderland A.F.C. were playing at KC Stadium home of Hull City i might have gone bus spotting
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
Wonder what GNE are gunna do for the NSA's on Red Arrows, Citylink, Dare I say it after Sunday (the new name for Metrolink) and Quaylink with not only Real being rebranded Heart, but also Gary and Lisa recently leaving. If they do Metro, I think it will be Stu Elmore and Kelly like the Cobalt Clipper and Drifter. I hope they don't use boring Jenny though!
(23 Dec 2014, 10:16 pm)aureolin wrote Eldon Square is a nightmare best of times. I'd much rather GNE looked to terminate on Blackett Street, instead of faffing on trying to get in and out of Eldon Square.

Blackett street can sometimes add to the frustration, pilgrim street & market street (outside the old police station) then out via bigg market. Yellow box cameras needed on the junction at the bottom of the bigg market though.
Site Administrator
(24 Dec 2014, 1:12 am)DaveyBowyer wrote Wonder what GNE are gunna do for the NSA's on Red Arrows, Citylink, Dare I say it after Sunday (the new name for Metrolink) and Quaylink with not only Real being rebranded Heart, but also Gary and Lisa recently leaving. If they do Metro, I think it will be Stu Elmore and Kelly like the Cobalt Clipper and Drifter. I hope they don't use boring Jenny though!
Do the Next Stop Announcements still say M1 at The Galleries?

Thought the Drifter was done by the main guy off Sun FM? Can't remember his name but Stu doesn't ring any bells.
(24 Dec 2014, 8:07 am)Dan wrote Do the Next Stop Announcements still say M1 at The Galleries?

Thought the Drifter was done by the main guy off Sun FM? Can't remember his name but Stu doesn't ring any bells.

No, last time I rode the X1, they said something like ''change here for connections onto other bus services''. 
(24 Dec 2014, 1:12 am)DaveyBowyer wrote Wonder what GNE are gunna do for the NSA's on Red Arrows, Citylink, Dare I say it after Sunday (the new name for Metrolink) and Quaylink with not only Real being rebranded Heart, but also Gary and Lisa recently leaving. If they do Metro, I think it will be Stu Elmore and Kelly like the Cobalt Clipper and Drifter. I hope they don't use boring Jenny though!

I'd hazard a guess of doing nothing to the announcements given that they never did anything to them when Real became Heart so I imagine nothing will be done now.

Although if they do update the announcements I hope they don't get over the top radio presenters like Steve and Karen, it's bad enough the Angel takes around 15 minutes longer than the X2 but having them giving you the next stops and telling you to remain seated plus stopping at every stop can be real test to not lose your sanity.
Site Administrator
(24 Dec 2014, 9:34 am)Tom wrote No, last time I rode the X1, they said something like ''change here for connections onto other bus services''. 

Don't understand why would the announcements have to be changed, then?

EDIT: Oops, makes sense now that I've read Jimmi's post... Radio station re-branding...
No idea if it just me, but sure some of the announcements on the 4/X1 have been re-recorded already.
Sure some of the stops have been renamed to match reality and his Herrrrrington Burrrrn, isn't as over the top as it was.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Blackett Street is over bussed as it is, without adding to it! As someone who uses a local bus that terminates in Eldon Square every day, it's pure hyperbole to suggest that its a 'nightmare'. It really isn't. All roads are busy at this time of year in Newcastle.
(24 Dec 2014, 12:01 pm)markydh wrote Blackett Street is over bussed as it is, without adding to it! As someone who uses a local bus that terminates in Eldon Square every day, it's pure hyperbole to suggest that its a 'nightmare'. It really isn't. All roads are busy at this time of year in Newcastle.
I'd say I travel into Eldon Square more regular than most, but obviously not as much as a daily commuter. It's unfair to suggest it's an exaduration, as the buses I use, always seem to struggle getting through Percy Street. Oh, and when I complain about my bus being late, I'm often told it's due to congestion in that area. Smile
You're correct Aureolin, GNE moved the Angel (then pink) to Eldon Sq because thats what customers wanted.

Can't see too many of them fancying being dumped off at Pilgrim St again (which probably isn't designed or suitable for a 7 min frequency)

It's one of the reasons GNE are against the potential Durant Rd station
(24 Dec 2014, 12:18 pm)aureolin wrote I'd say I travel into Eldon Square more regular than most, but obviously not as much as a daily commuter. It's unfair to suggest it's an exaduration, as the buses I use, always seem to struggle getting through Percy Street. Oh, and when I complain about my bus being late, I'm often told it's due to congestion in that area. Smile

In my humble opinion, if the multi storey car park in Percy Street was closed, problem solved! The other slowdown factor is the duration of walk time given to pedestrians at both sets of lights on the run in to Eldon Square bus station.

What is needed is a quality park and ride scheme both north and south of the city and ban car use in the central area.
(24 Dec 2014, 12:27 pm)RM2186 wrote In my humble opinion, if the multi storey car park in Percy Street was closed, problem solved! The other slowdown factor is the duration of walk time given to pedestrians at both sets of lights on the run in to Eldon Square bus station.

What is needed is a quality park and ride scheme both north and south of the city and ban car use in the central area.

Massive vote loser that one. Being anti-car won't do any favours (even if Newcastle do it subversively especially with Central Station schemel)

You're correct the car park closing would solve things but its a moneyspinner and there's no way John Lewis or intu or the Council would close it and again....not a vote winner.

Park and Ride is fine in old small road cities like York or Durham but it will never take off in Newcastle imo unless you start forcing routes to terminate in Gateshead and use the increasingly unreliable Metro, but that's not feasible either imo.
(24 Dec 2014, 12:25 pm)gtom wrote You're correct Aureolin, GNE moved the Angel (then pink) to Eldon Sq because thats what customers wanted.

Can't see too many of them fancying being dumped off at Pilgrim St again (which probably isn't designed or suitable for a 7 min frequency)

It's one of the reasons GNE are against the potential Durant Rd station

And Eldon Square is suitable for a 7 minute frequency on the Angel, I often see two arrive together and one pulls straight onto the stand and the other drops them off at the opposite end and then often leaves and has to pull back in until the other one leaves or the journeys terminating at Chester will sometimes leave straightaway and head down towards Wilko.