You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2014

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion
(24 Dec 2014, 3:09 pm)Robert wrote An ex-P&R solo
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nebp2/16095280495/

And Darlington has to continue using old manky MPDs whilst these are here.

That ARRIVA logo on the front looks ghastly.
Site Administrator
Not sure whether it's due to leave later on an X21 or what, but one of the EcoCitys looks to have been abandoned in Park Lane...
(24 Dec 2014, 6:24 pm)Dan wrote Not sure whether it's due to leave later on an X21 or what, but one of the EcoCitys looks to have been abandoned in Park Lane...

The last departure from Park Lane is at 1825 and having a quick look at the Xmas eve times it should be leaving at that time tonight.

Or the EcoCitys continue to not handle the 21/X21 very well.
Site Administrator
(24 Dec 2014, 6:32 pm)Jimmi wrote The last departure from Park Lane is at 1825 and having a quick look at the Xmas eve times it should be leaving at that time tonight.

Or the EcoCitys continue to not handle the 21/X21 very well.
Was still there at 1830 without a driver and lights off! Don't know if the Arriva Live Map will shed any more light on if it's actually managed to go somewhere...
(24 Dec 2014, 6:33 pm)Dan wrote Was still there at 1830 without a driver and lights off! Don't know if the Arriva Live Map will shed any more light on if it's actually managed to go somewhere...

Just looked and seen the 1825 is around the Ryhope area so if there is an EcoCity in Park Lane it will have been a previous journey.

If this is the case Arriva should seriously consider getting these off the 21/X21 as it seems like they are having all sorts of problems and results in late departures or journeys being dropped, I am beginning to actually fear using the 21/X21 as the problems are so consistent.
I hope that the EcoCitys do get taken off the 21/X21 as they can not handle the route well at all, the ex demonstrators are terrible because they have spent much of their lives sat doing nothing so they definitely aren't up for a 4 hour thrash to Sunderland and back.

Also the Darts on the 8/8A need to go, saw another one broken down in Darlington Town Centre last night and 1791 ended up replacing it leaving Darlington around 20 minutes following the Dart's breakdown.

These services need upgrading and FAST! I don't want to use either as they are so unreliable and only operate an hourly service on parts of the route, if I ever experience a breakdown on the 21/X21 it will probably happen on the A689 between Sedgefield and Eden Arms where the only option is to sit for an hour for the next one to appear.
Site Administrator
(24 Dec 2014, 6:55 pm)Jimmi wrote I hope that the EcoCitys do get taken off the 21/X21 as they can not handle the route well at all, the ex demonstrators are terrible because they have spent much of their lives sat doing nothing so they definitely aren't up for a 4 hour thrash to Sunderland and back.

Also the Darts on the 8/8A need to go, saw another one broken down in Darlington Town Centre last night and 1791 ended up replacing it leaving Darlington around 20 minutes following the Dart's breakdown.

These services need upgrading and FAST! I don't want to use either as they are so unreliable and only operate an hourly service on parts of the route, if I ever experience a breakdown on the 21/X21 it will probably happen on the A689 between Sedgefield and Eden Arms where the only option is to sit for an hour for the next one to appear.

BIB: Intentional pun based on the 'then X21 FAST! to Sunderland' branding? Tongue 
Could they not swap the Ecocities for the Omnicities at Stockton? Surely they could cope with the 21a.
Site Administrator
(24 Dec 2014, 7:04 pm)Jimmi wrote Pun not intended.

Seriously, an upgrade is needed.

Go North East went through this with their X7 service too; they first deployed elderly Volvo B10BLEs on the service, but soon realised that they had to do something due to ongoing breakdowns causing passenger numbers to drop.

As soon as they could, they upgraded the services to more reliable vehicles, which has massively decreased lost mileage. Passenger numbers are now so high that duplicate runs have had to operate on mornings...

(24 Dec 2014, 7:12 pm)peter wrote Could they not swap the Ecocities for the Omnicities at Stockton? Surely they could cope with the 21a.

The OmniCity which is allocated to the extra X21 journey on a morning even arrives in late sometimes - whether this is to do with something on the 21A route or if it's again something on the X21 route, I don't know...
(24 Dec 2014, 7:12 pm)peter wrote Could they not swap the Ecocities for the Omnicities at Stockton? Surely they could cope with the 21a.

No, as only Darlington depot can fuel the EcoCitys with them being gas buses.

Also if they can't handle the 21, they won't really be able to handle the 21A either and about all the 3 ex demonstrators are good for is the 2/11.
(24 Dec 2014, 7:13 pm)Dan wrote Go North East went through this with their X7 service too; they first deployed elderly Volvo B10BLEs on the service, but soon realised that they had to do something due to ongoing breakdowns causing passenger numbers to drop.

As soon as they could, they upgraded the services to more reliable vehicles, which has massively decreased lost mileage. Passenger numbers are now so high that duplicate runs have had to operate on mornings...

The OmniCity which is allocated to the extra X21 journey on a morning even arrives in late sometimes - whether this is to do with something on the 21A route or if it's again something on the X21 route, I don't know...

I bet this will go on for longer than the X7 did with the B10BLEs and knowing Arriva if they do take them off the 21/X21 they'll probably end up putting them on the 8/8A or 75/76 and they be a problem on those routes too.

Not sure what the 21A/X21 Omnicity problems are, schools traffic in Peterlee perhaps.
(24 Dec 2014, 7:23 pm)Jimmi wrote I bet this will go on for longer than the X7 did with the B10BLEs and knowing Arriva if they do take them off the 21/X21 they'll probably end up putting them on the 8/8A or 75/76 and they be a problem on those routes too.

Not sure what the 21A/X21 Omnicity problems are, schools traffic in Peterlee perhaps.

But Darlington are going to have some Pulsars spare aren't they? Once the the 5x Streetlite Max's arrive for the X1.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(24 Dec 2014, 8:00 pm)aureolin wrote But Darlington are going to have some Pulsars spare aren't they? Once the the 5x Streetlite Max's arrive for the X1.

3 were originally going to Belmont depot, although I'm not sure if this is still the case.

I think the 75/76 was rumoured to be allocated Pulsars, although I don't know if that is still happening.
(24 Dec 2014, 8:09 pm)Jimmi wrote 3 were originally going to Belmont depot, although I'm not sure if this is still the case.

I think the 75/76 was rumoured to be allocated Pulsars, although I don't know if that is still happening.

Be interesting to see if plans change. I'd imagine running a competitive service against the X7 would take priority over the Darlo to Barnard Castle run, where they're the sole operator.
Arriva never allocate the right vehicle type at all (bar the X93). All they care about is how 'green' the bus is and not how much umphhhh it has.
(24 Dec 2014, 10:03 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Arriva never allocate the right vehicle type at all (bar the X93). All they care about is how 'green' the bus is and not how much umphhhh it has.

Way of the world these days Davey. There's no getting away from it.
Site Administrator
Quick note to say that I've updated our fleet lists... They were a bit behind, but I think everything should be up to date again!

Someone may want to confirm that I've got the sub-branding for the MAX Scanias at Darlington right, as I couldn't find any details for a few of them...
Dan, I believe these are the brandings based on my sightings on the first day in service (I'm not sure about 4644 and 4645 but I think they both have branding for both the X26/X27 and X66).

4643 - MAX branding for both the X26/X27 and X66
4644 - unsure (I think it has branding for both the X26/X27 and X66)
4645 - unsure (I think it has branding for both the X26/X27 and X66)
4647 - MAX X26/X27
4648 - MAX X26/X27
4649 - MAX X66
4651 - MAX X66
4654 - unsure
4655 - MAX X66
4656 - MAX X66
4657 - MAX X66

I think 4646 is at Darlington but have no idea whether it has combined branding or X26/X27 branding - fleet list says it is still at Belmont in original livery.
(25 Dec 2014, 4:03 pm)Jimmi wrote Dan, I believe these are the brandings based on my sightings on the first day in service (I'm not sure about 4644 and 4645 but I think they both have branding for both the X26/X27 and X66).

4647 - MAX X26/X27
4648 - MAX X26/X27
4649 - MAX X66
4651 - MAX X66
4654 - unsure
4655 - MAX X66
4656 - MAX X66
4657 - MAX X66

I think 4646 is at Darlington but have no idea whether it has combined branding or X26/X27 branding - fleet list says it is still at Belmont in original livery.

4644 is a generic one, with both on the rear. Saw it the other day.
4646 is indeed Darlington based, think X26/X27 branding but not 100%.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(25 Dec 2014, 4:37 pm)tyresmoke wrote 4644 is a generic one, with both on the rear. Saw it the other day.

I haven't had a close look at them apart from the first day in service, I will try and find out when I'm next in Darlington. Think I may have one or two more photos that aren't on Flickr.

Different as there is often at least one missing everyday.
Site Administrator
(25 Dec 2014, 4:03 pm)Jimmi wrote Dan, I believe these are the brandings based on my sightings on the first day in service (I'm not sure about 4644 and 4645 but I think they both have branding for both the X26/X27 and X66).

4647 - MAX X26/X27
4648 - MAX X26/X27
4649 - MAX X66
4651 - MAX X66
4654 - unsure
4655 - MAX X66
4656 - MAX X66
4657 - MAX X66

(25 Dec 2014, 4:37 pm)tyresmoke wrote 4644 is a generic one, with both on the rear. Saw it the other day.

4644 was the only one which didn't match up with the list that I'd gathered based on information posted on this forum and photographs on Flickr, but if it's a generic one, it means I've got it right.

Didn't even have 4646 down as having been refurbished - but I've changed it to X26/X27 now.
(25 Dec 2014, 4:43 pm)Jimmi wrote I haven't had a close look at them apart from the first day in service, I will try and find out when I'm next in Darlington. Think I may have one or two more photos that aren't on Flickr.

Different as there is often at least one missing everyday.

4651 is missing and will be for a while as it's at Smiles engineering.

News from Stockton saw 4040 & 4069 towed away yesterday, indeed all scrap buses apart from 1756 have now gone! Yard looks so empty... 4027, 4044 and 4068 at least have left Redcar too.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(25 Dec 2014, 5:09 pm)Dan wrote 4644 was the only one which didn't match up with the list that I'd gathered based on information posted on this forum and photographs on Flickr, but if it's a generic one, it means I've got it right.

Didn't even have 4646 down as having been refurbished - but I've changed it to X26/X27 now.

4644 was on the first day of MAX on the X66 but it entered service unbranded so I'm not sure what branding it has now but I think it's generic.
Site Administrator
(25 Dec 2014, 5:09 pm)Dan wrote 4644 was the only one which didn't match up with the list that I'd gathered based on information posted on this forum and photographs on Flickr, but if it's a generic one, it means I've got it right.

[Image: 15356144544_08ee071323.jpg]Arriva Durham County: 4646 (NK05 GWZ) by simply|buses, on Flickr
(24 Dec 2014, 10:03 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Arriva never allocate the right vehicle type at all (bar the X93). All they care about is how 'green' the bus is and not how much umphhhh it has.

It will be interesting to see how Streetlites perform on Darlo X1 { were they the right choice}as a driver stated that they are at Jesmond but this has not been mentioned on forum
I've got a very blurry photo of a NK05 ??? Omnicity in the generic MAX livery and it looks like NK05 GXD (4650).

I'm not 100% on this but this is what it looks like.

I will try and note down these Omnicity's if I'm in Darlington at any point soon.