You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion
(01 Jan 2015, 8:40 pm)mb134 wrote I'd reckon, if the X21/22 has seen growth in line with what some of the other Sapphire routes have, they'll get new buses within a couple more years. Can't remember which route it is but I'm positive I've saw a comment or something somewhere stating that the older E400's used on said route are being replaced this year (think it might be the 280 route).

Sure is - the 280 Aylesbury - Oxford is getting a batch of new Enviro 400's this year. More to do with the fact that the current stock is too old for the Oxford LEZ. The current E400's are heading to Hemel Hempstead for use on service 320 to Rickmansworth, alongside new Streetlites on service 100/101 Luton - Stevenage.

(01 Jan 2015, 9:04 pm)9920up wrote Interesting views. Certainly the likes of sapphire  shouldn't  be expected to be run with aged stock, not as a premier  service.  It does raise other policy questions though. For example the omni city's for the X66  These are nigh on 10 at the point of entry onto a high speed front line MAX service. Maybe their time should be limited as well
Also,  bear in mind that ANE ensure book values are always nil and some more before vehicles are withdrawn. Recent Darts and Prestige examples have all only gone after 17 or more years. 

MAX is a concept designed by North East & Yorkshire to improve inter-urban routes. It will soon become standard across longer distance routes I am sure, and it's already been adopted by Wales, Shires and I understand soon Midlands too. They're refurbishing existing stock but yes there will come a time when they're due to be replaced - certainly the Scanias on X26/X66 are 10 years old like you say and are well past their best.

The new engineering director is starting to get to make his mark on the fleet too, of course the state of the fleet has been improved drastically over the last year or so. I am hoping that we can start repainting existing stock that needs it - some of the S-reg Darts and Prestiges lasted their whole lives on their original coat of paint!

I think the purchase of the Volvo B9TL's is a good view into the future... purchasing vehicles specifically for routes rather than a "one size fits all" approach, as in the past. Using Darts on the 213/214 from new is an example of previous wrong purchases, they were never designed to do work like that so its no wonder they were absolutely knackered at the end.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(01 Jan 2015, 9:42 pm)tyresmoke wrote Sure is - the 280 Aylesbury - Oxford is getting a batch of new Enviro 400's this year. More to do with the fact that the current stock is too old for the Oxford LEZ. The current E400's are heading to Hemel Hempstead for use on service 320 to Rickmansworth, alongside new Streetlites on service 100/101 Luton - Stevenage.
Do you think Arriva will take into account the reliability problems that Ashington have had with their older Enviros and replace them on the route sooner than expected, leaving 7518 with 7522-8 on the X21/22 with new examples while 7501-9 could go and upgrade a less demanding route to increase custom?
(01 Jan 2015, 9:42 pm)tyresmoke wrote Sure is - the 280 Aylesbury - Oxford is getting a batch of new Enviro 400's this year. More to do with the fact that the current stock is too old for the Oxford LEZ. The current E400's are heading to Hemel Hempstead for use on service 320 to Rickmansworth, alongside new Streetlites on service 100/101 Luton - Stevenage.

MAX is a concept designed by North East & Yorkshire to improve inter-urban routes. It will soon become standard across longer distance routes I am sure, and it's already been adopted by Wales, Shires and I understand soon Midlands too. They're refurbishing existing stock but yes there will come a time when they're due to be replaced - certainly the Scanias on X26/X66 are 10 years old like you say and are well past their best.

The new engineering director is starting to get to make his mark on the fleet too, of course the state of the fleet has been improved drastically over the last year or so. I am hoping that we can start repainting existing stock that needs it - some of the S-reg Darts and Prestiges lasted their whole lives on their original coat of paint!

I think the purchase of the Volvo B9TL's is a good view into the future... purchasing vehicles specifically for routes rather than a "one size fits all" approach, as in the past. Using Darts on the 213/214 from new is an example of previous wrong purchases, they were never designed to do work like that so its no wonder they were absolutely knackered at the end.

Lets hope the Sapphire Implementation Team have a say in which vehicles to use/buy for Sapphire branded routes.
I hope that whatever endurance / express orders that Arriva place are Scania E400MMCs if they become proven. Stagecoach did it for their express and endurance services with the Euro 5 version and they most likely probably will for Euro 6 too. This is what the Arriva orders should look like for Northumberland in the future taking vehicle type and revenue into account:

- Quorum Express and Coastliner 308 get the ADL / Cummins chassis on the E400 MMC body as they aren't too demanding routes.

- 20/X20 and X13 get the same chassis as the above due to the revenue not being high enough to justify a heavyweight chassis. If growth continues, then it could be revisited in the near future. However, the Volvo B8RLE on either the MCV bodywork or Wright Eclipse bodywork would be a good shout with the X20 increased to operating half hourly between Ashington and Newcastle and the other hourly service past Ashington operating as service 21 between Ashington and Newbiggin but only to the Cresswell Arms or Secrest Road via the X21 route to Newbiggin Front Street

- X10/X11, X21/X22, X15 and X18 get the Scania chassis on the E400 MMC body. These routes justify a heavyweight chassis owing to financial and route related reasons. Despite the X10 / X11 not being too demanding, it is a very intense express operation.
- 14/X14 despite being in the same category as the 20/X20 is a route that requires power between Morpeth and Thropton. Therefore, a heavyweight chassis would be justified due to route related reasons with growth hopefully occurring in the future.
Site Administrator
Reports that Belmont's ADL Enviro200s are now beginning to enter service - it's thought that one or two were out today, and the other three could follow suit tomorrow?

May be worth a trip to Durham - one lucky photographer will get their photos included in the news update this Sunday! Wink 
(02 Jan 2015, 6:48 pm)Dan wrote Reports that Belmont's ADL Enviro200s are now beginning to enter service - it's thought that one or two were out today, and the other three could follow suit tomorrow?

May be worth a trip to Durham - one lucky photographer will get their photos included in the news update this Sunday! Wink 

Wish I'd gone to Durham today now, maybe I wouldn't have made such a long post in the annoying thread.

I'll see if there is any out and about around Durham tomorrow and I also want X1 shots before it is renumbered as the X12 on Sunday.
(02 Jan 2015, 8:52 pm)Jimmi wrote Does Durham service 64 still stop at the bus stop at Dragonville Tesco Extra or does it only stop at the stops on the main road on journeys to/from Sherburn Village.

It uses the tesco bus stop in both directions. Well, that was when it went down the back of Gilesgate. Now it goes along the front past Musgrave Gdns it may just serve the stops on the main road.
7619 and 7620 still seem to be out and about judging from this past week. Seen both again today. I'd have thought they'd have both been sent away for their MAX refurbishment by now, but seems not.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
(02 Jan 2015, 10:21 pm)aureolin wrote 7619 and 7620 still seem to be out and about judging from this past week. Seen both again today. I'd have thought they'd have both been sent away for their MAX refurbishment by now, but seems not.
Arriva's fleet allocation document is often ahead of time - Belmont's X1/X2 allocation cannot be refurbished until the Enviro200s enter service.

So in theory, they should depart imminently, with the Enviro200s now entering service!
(02 Jan 2015, 10:23 pm)Dan wrote Arriva's fleet allocation document is often ahead of time - Belmont's X1/X2 allocation cannot be refurbished until the Enviro200s enter service.

So in theory, they should depart imminently, with the Enviro200s now entering service!

I haven't seen 7618, 7626 or 7627 for some time now, so I assume they're away for refurbishment? At least 2 Lowlanders on the X1/X2 again today, one of them being 7453.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(02 Jan 2015, 10:21 pm)aureolin wrote 7619 and 7620 still seem to be out and about judging from this past week. Seen both again today. I'd have thought they'd have both been sent away for their MAX refurbishment by now, but seems not.

7618/9/20 are all still in service - so it looks like 7626/7 have gone away while Durham are still using the T-reg DAFs and 7435.
'MAX' OmniCity 4649 appears to be the only example so far of the X66-branded examples to be fitted wry the screen for next-stop announcements.
(02 Jan 2015, 10:25 pm)Kuyoyo wrote 7618/9/20 are all still in service - so it looks like 7626/7 have gone away while Durham are still using the T-reg DAFs and 7435.

Scratch that - 7627 is out on X1/X2 today.
Site Administrator
So far only three Enviro200s are out.

1323/27 are on 64s - both seen outside the bus station at 1045 in either direction.

1320 on 6 to West Auckland at 1135 in Durham
One of Redcars Volvo B9's is currently Sat in the Volvo yard near to the Bowes incline and can be seen from the A1m, possibly worth a look if anyone is around that area
(03 Jan 2015, 2:35 pm)Jimmi wrote 7454 and 7455 have joined 7453/7456 at Belmont depot.

7453/54/56 are on the X1/X2 while 7455 was on the 49/49A this morning.
Would it be possible to refurbish one of the Lowlanders for a MAX spare for the X1/X2? Perfectly good for the route?
(03 Jan 2015, 2:44 pm)mb134 wrote Would it be possible to refurbish one of the Lowlanders for a MAX spare for the X1/X2? Perfectly good for the route?

Don't know why they didn't do some of them instead of Pulsars for Durham.
(03 Jan 2015, 2:35 pm)Jimmi wrote 7454 and 7455 have joined 7453/7456 at Belmont depot.

7453/54/56 are on the X1/X2 while 7455 was on the 49/49A this morning.

7454 on the last day of service X1 today.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@...185101675/
Site Administrator
(03 Jan 2015, 3:56 pm)Jimmi wrote Ex Arriva Southern Counties Enviro 200's in service today.

1320 on service 6
1323 on service 64
1327 on service 64

Having seen them in the flesh, I can't believe how dreadful the application of the Arriva livery is.

It's certainly not unknown for Thorntons to mess up repaints (it irritates me to this day that they painted over the black 'strip' below the windscreen on GNE's South Tyne Versas), but that's just awful. The fact that Arriva accepted them in that state is even more worrying.
(03 Jan 2015, 5:26 pm)Dan wrote Having seen them in the flesh, I can't believe how dreadful the application of the Arriva livery is.

It's certainly not unknown for Thorntons to mess up repaints (it irritates me to this day that they painted over the black 'strip' below the windscreen on GNE's South Tyne Versas), but that's just awful. The fact that Arriva accepted them in that state is even more worrying.
The blue strip between the drivers windows looks out of place, surely they should have kept the black strip there as it used to be...

https://flic.kr/p/ayqkfa
(03 Jan 2015, 5:26 pm)Dan wrote Having seen them in the flesh, I can't believe how dreadful the application of the Arriva livery is.

ANE will accept any livery application no matter what state it is in.

I can confirm that they do have charging points, Slightly surprised there is charging points but no WiFi? There was also a screen behind the drivers cab but was just displaying a white screen (next stop announcements maybe?). Not keen on the seats but anytime I use the 64 I won't be going far and the amount of legroom is a major improvement on the Darts. Passengers did seem to be impressed with 1327 with many thinking it was a new bus and they thought it was posh.
Site Administrator
(03 Jan 2015, 5:42 pm)Jimmi wrote ANE will accept any livery application no matter what state it is in.

I can confirm that they do have charging points, Slightly surprised there is charging points but no WiFi? There was also a screen behind the drivers cab but was just displaying a white screen (next stop announcements maybe?). Not keen on the seats but anytime I use the 64 I won't be going far and the amount of legroom is a major improvement on the Darts. Passengers did seem to be impressed with 1327 with many thinking it was a new bus and they thought it was posh.

I didn't get to have a ride of one today, but had a little look in from the pavement and I was bewildered to see that the bus definitely did have power sockets and had e-leather seats, yet it was in normal Arriva livery...

May as well have gone to the next step to add the Wi-Fi, and you've practically got a Sapphire-spec bus...
(03 Jan 2015, 5:42 pm)Jimmi wrote ANE will accept any livery application no matter what state it is in.

Just out of curiosity, whats the 64 route like, is it mainly in town or rural? Only asking because, if rural, they may not think fitting Wi-Fi would be suitable, signal wise etc. Just a suggestion like Tongue
Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion
(03 Jan 2015, 5:48 pm)mb134 wrote Just out of curiosity, whats the 64 route like, is it mainly in town or rural? Only asking because, if rural, they may not think fitting Wi-Fi would be suitable, signal wise etc. Just a suggestion like Tongue

I've only ever used Service 64 between Durham and the Arnison Centre, and vice-versa coming and going from and to both destinations.

I'd say quite a lot of it estate-based on the Durham - Arnison Centre section of the route. Smile
(03 Jan 2015, 5:44 pm)Dan wrote I didn't get to have a ride of one today, but had a little look in from the pavement and I was bewildered to see that the bus definitely did have power sockets and had e-leather seats, yet it was in normal Arriva livery...

May as well have gone to the next step to add the Wi-Fi, and you've practically got a Sapphire-spec bus...

I think all new / refurbished Arriva buses now have e-leather seating.

Not far off Sapphire spec just no WiFi or announcements, I think they should be used in the event of a Sapphire bus being unavailable for the 7 or the 6 when it becomes Sapphire as it's the closet Belmont have to Sapphire spec, downside to that is lower seating capacity.