You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2015

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2015
(09 Feb 2015, 4:07 pm)Jimmi wrote They couldn't sit on the inside because all the inside seats on the bus were occupied when they all got on.

I have issues with the free OAP passes but it is causing issues for people with disabilities of all ages the lack of space on that bus on that service and is also causing safety concerns with things being where they shouldn't be because there isn't any room.

I've had enough of small buses on a service which should have a full size bus every day for the last two months and continue until the X1 MAX StreetLite's arrive.

Ridiculous, yet they have Prestiges and full size Darts in reserve.
(09 Feb 2015, 6:26 pm)Multi21 wrote Not sure if it's already been reported but I rocked up for work this morning and Solo 2803 was sat in Stockton yard.  It was later seen in Middlesbrough Bus Station for Crew Familiarisation. Still has the Darlington blind set in it.  Start of Solos for Stockton it appears.  Also noted today 4 of the 5 B7s have disappeared from Redcar.  Mr wigley was in Redcar yard this morning getting 1651 .

Are you sure about that? I heard Ian Bradley took 1651 to Thorntons. Wigleys took 4093.
SERVICE UPDATE: 57A - Due to road closure 0800-1700 on 13th, we are unable to serve Hartford Bridge, service will divert via Bedlington

SERVICE UPDATE: X21 - Due to road closure 13th, between 0800-1700 we cannot serve Nedderton or Hartford Bridge, will turn at RedHouse Farm.

Arriva grammar bad!
(11 Feb 2015, 8:53 am)Cock Robin wrote Are you sure about that? I heard Ian Bradley took 1651 to Thorntons. Wigleys took 4093.

That's the end of the Yorkshire DAFs.
(11 Feb 2015, 2:46 pm)Jimmi wrote SERVICE UPDATE: 57A - Due to road closure 0800-1700 on 13th, we are unable to serve Hartford Bridge, service will divert via Bedlington

SERVICE UPDATE: X21 - Due to road closure 13th, between 0800-1700 we cannot serve Nedderton or Hartford Bridge, will turn at RedHouse Farm.

Arriva grammar bad!

That would actually be a benefit to X21 passengers, no one gets on Red Lion - Hartford Bridge, so why should a bus spend 10 minutes going through every pothole when it can be a better service and go straight to Plessey Checks! 
(11 Feb 2015, 4:25 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote That would actually be a benefit to X21 passengers, no one gets on Red Lion - Hartford Bridge, so why should a bus spend 10 minutes going through every pothole when it can be a better service and go straight to Plessey Checks! 
Won't make too much difference, it will have to complete the loop the 2 does in order to serve the road next to the two estates as it usually does, taking a couple of minutes, it then needs to get back to the main street and go the X22 route, so may in fact take longer.

Edit: Just re-read, I know every time I've used the service to visit my friends, I've got off (and on, as have others) on the stretch between Red Lion and Nedderton. 
Because Arriva  wamt a fancy pancy easy 10 minute frequency that only combines every 10 minutes at Ashington then between A1068 and Newcastle. Why can't they follow GNEs example of making longer journeys quicker like when they swapped the 10 / 10B between Prudhoe and Crawcrook.

BRING BACK THE EXPRESS (X31/X32/X33) AND THE PALATINES!
Just a suggestion, during the summer when the X93 requires 2 additional vehicles, could Ashington send down two of the newer Enviro's? They run rings round the examples that were branded for the X93, and handle the X18 with relative ease.

Blyth could loan Ashington a couple of tachographed Geminis to make up numbers. 

What do people think?
(11 Feb 2015, 5:34 pm)mb134 wrote Just a suggestion, during the summer when the X93 requires 2 additional vehicles, could Ashington send down two of the newer Enviro's? They run rings round the examples that were branded for the X93, and handle the X18 with relative ease.

What do people think?

Hmm, don't shoot me, but doesn't the X93 have a 4 PVR, but there's 6 vehicles, so the other 2 could be the summer spares.
(11 Feb 2015, 5:34 pm)mb134 wrote Just a suggestion, during the summer when the X93 requires 2 additional vehicles, could Ashington send down two of the newer Enviro's? They run rings round the examples that were branded for the X93, and handle the X18 with relative ease.

What do people think?

I think the X93 may possibly get two MAX VDL DB300 / Gemini's off the X12/X2 especially think this could happen if Belmont does get an additional example and even though they'd be down two buses it would still have enough to for the X12/X2 providing 1415/1416 remained for the X12/X2. Their is less need need for double deckers during the summer as the uni is off for the summer and then New College finishes for the summer too.
(11 Feb 2015, 5:40 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote Hmm, don't shoot me, but doesn't the X93 have a 4 PVR, but there's 6 vehicles, so the other 2 could be the summer spares.

The X93 has a PVR of 5 in the winter.

I think the PVR has an extra 3? Buses in the summer.
(11 Feb 2015, 5:40 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote Hmm, don't shoot me, but doesn't the X93 have a 4 PVR, but there's 6 vehicles, so the other 2 could be the summer spares.
Ah, I was under the impression that the normal PVR was 5 or 6, and required more vehicles for the summer as has happened in previous years. 
(11 Feb 2015, 5:47 pm)Jimmi wrote I think the X93 may possibly get two MAX VDL DB300 / Gemini's off the X12/X2 especially think this could happen if Belmont does get an additional example and even though they'd be down two buses it would still have enough to for the X12/X2 providing 1415/1416 remained for the X12/X2. Their is less need need for double deckers during the summer as the uni is off for the summer and then New College finishes for the summer too.
Aye I suppose Smile was just thinking that maybe the newer Enviro's deserve a chance, and it may give Arriva another option in the future if they know they can handle it Smile
(11 Feb 2015, 5:54 pm)mb134 wrote Aye I suppose Smile was just thinking that maybe the newer Enviro's deserve a chance, and it may give Arriva another option in the future if they know they can handle it Smile

I am purely speculating, I have no idea what will actually go down for the summer X93's.
We needed to put the Volvo B7TLs (ex London) on there to steady the ship reliability wise as the previous year with the E400s was shocking. I think the B7s outperformed what everyone expected on there!
PVR is 5 in winter and 8 in the summer, with 6 B9TLs branded we need at least 2 extra deckers which may well come from another route that doesn't need the capacity during the summer. Taking them off the X18 would go against that of course!! Of course splitting the route into 3 sections removes the need for tachograph fitted vehicles.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(11 Feb 2015, 6:39 pm)tyresmoke wrote We needed to put the Volvo B7TLs (ex London) on there to steady the ship reliability wise as the previous year with the E400s was shocking. I think the B7s outperformed what everyone expected on there!
PVR is 5 in winter and 8 in the summer, with 6 B9TLs branded we need at least 2 extra deckers which may well come from another route that doesn't need the capacity during the summer. Taking them off the X18 would go against that of course!! Of course splitting the route into 3 sections removes the need for tachograph fitted vehicles.

By mind Scott, you sound like an MD there.... Tongue
(11 Feb 2015, 6:58 pm)citaro5284 wrote By mind Scott, you sound like an MD there.... Tongue

Well you never know what might happen in the future eh Tongue

Site Administrator
Not due to depart for a good 7 minutes, and we are using the stand two along from what we should be... Good job the 42 (2/2A) no longer serves Park Lane otherwise we'd have been stuffed!
.jpg 20150212_080310.jpg
The Arriva office in Darlington was getting its vinyls taken off the front window on Tuesday, presumably something new has now been applied.
2803 has made its debut in service at Stockton today working the extra 7 working.
Was thinking today, while looking through some photos, why don't Arriva get this type of glass on more of their vehicles, especially Sapphire ones, looks far smarter in my opinion. I can only find Streetlites and the Sapphire Pulsars that currently have it:

[Image: 8375540315_fc43572d7f.jpg]Exterior shot of Lothian's 213, Dennis Enviro 400H/Alexander Enviro 400 by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

Rather than this:
[Image: 14548737261_c2f769a4b8.jpg]Arriva North East: "Glitter and sparkle arrives into the North East!" by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

Must be easier to clean as well...
Bonded glazing costs more and takes longer to replace. However ADL have now designed a quick fit & replace window that will be available on the E400 MMC
SERVICE UPDATE X22 - A section of Ashington Drive on Wansbeck Estate (from the Half Moon to the shops) will be closed for roadwork’s between 19th & 27th February 2015.

During this time there will be a diversion in place from Stakeford Half Moon along Stakeford Lane and Wansbeck Avenue, returning to normal route at Ashington Drive. Return route towards Ashington will be as above reversed.
Well today see's Jesmond operating Metro Replacement service 900 between Haymarket & Regent Centre. Should be operated by a mix of DAF DB250s and Volvo B7TLs plus a few loaned deckers from Jim Hughes

(14 Feb 2015, 6:43 am)tyresmoke wrote Well today see's Jesmond operating Metro Replacement service 900 between Haymarket & Regent Centre. Should be operated by a mix of DAF DB250s and Volvo B7TLs plus a few loaned deckers from Jim Hughes

And I bet you want to drive something from Jim Hughes  Tongue
(14 Feb 2015, 6:41 am)Jimmi wrote SERVICE UPDATE X22 - A section of Ashington Drive on Wansbeck Estate (from the Half Moon to the shops) will be closed for roadwork’s between 19th & 27th February 2015.

During this time there will be a diversion in place from Stakeford Half Moon along Stakeford Lane and Wansbeck Avenue, returning to normal route at Ashington Drive. Return route towards Ashington will be as above reversed.

Said roadworks have been going on for ages!