You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

(17 Feb 2015, 3:25 pm)mb134 wrote MarcTheA4- Won't quote the whole thing because it's massive Wink but I agree on the B10 point, absolutely brilliant machines, honestly if they were DDA compliant I think we'd be seeing them around for some time yet. I know that when I used to get Arriva's they seemed far better than the newer stuff. 

Those, the Scania/East Lancs single deckers ANE used to have (271-290) and Olympians were my childhood buses, and provided some excellent memories. All of them were far better than any of the stuff now...

Hoping a few get sold on and not scrapped like 4852, I would hunt any which has been in the GNE fleet down and buy it for preservation when I'm older!

They are fantastic. I used to ride them on a daily basis with my grandad when little, and I just guess the memories have contributed to me loving them so much!
RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
(17 Feb 2015, 3:28 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Hoping a few get sold on and not scrapped like 4852, I would hunt any which has been in the GNE fleet down and buy it for preservation when I'm older!

They are fantastic. I used to ride them on a daily basis with my grandad when little, and I just guess the memories have contributed to me loving them so much!
I always used to get an Olympian into Newcastle when I was little, one of Ashington's on the X31 as my grandparents used to live on the route, and I remember always seeing them. It wasn't until one day (would've been 2007ish) I was waiting to go to Morpeth on a 35 and one (either 4502/3) turned up, instead of the usual Scania and it was brilliant! Big Grin 
On 28th February, I might do this;

X21: Ashington to Newcastle
Wee Metro: Haymarket to Central Station
- Train Photos -
Wee Metro: Central Station to Haymarket
X21: Newcastle to Ashington

Does anyone know if the Ashington/Newcastle DaySaver is valid on the Tyne and Wee Metro?

Ta
(17 Feb 2015, 4:10 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote On 28th February, I might do this;

X21: Ashington to Newcastle
Wee Metro: Haymarket to Central Station
- Train Photos -
Wee Metro: Central Station to Haymarket
X21: Newcastle to Ashington

Does anyone know if the Ashington/Newcastle DaySaver is valid on the Tyne and Wee Metro?

Ta

I would leave the day before if your going to use the metro.... Tongue
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Feb 2015, 4:12 pm)Michael wrote I would leave the day before if your going to use the metro.... Tongue

My Metro will probably break down just before Central Station, and I'll have to walk through the tunnels, but only if the doors open!

Nexus will probably tell me to piss off when I ask for a refund.
(17 Feb 2015, 4:16 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote My Metro will probably break down just before Central Station, and I'll have to walk through the tunnels, but only if the doors open!

Nexus will probably tell me to piss off when I ask for a refund.

Mind, if you ain't a fan of the smell of urine, watch out for those orange deckers on the 56.
No idea what it is, but the smell ain't good.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
(17 Feb 2015, 4:20 pm)Andreos1 wrote Mind, if you ain't a fan of the smell of urine, watch out for those orange deckers on the 56.

Been on a canny few of them today and couldn't smell owt dodgy! Maybe they're not as bad as the Metros which haven't yet undergone refurbishment, or maybe I've become accustomed to the smell (living in Sunderland et all!)
(17 Feb 2015, 4:25 pm)Dan wrote Been on a canny few of them today and couldn't smell owt dodgy! Maybe they're not as bad as the Metros which haven't yet undergone refurbishment, or maybe I've become accustomed to the smell (living in Sunderland et all!)

Oh, so you've been out. I expect a review then. Big Grin

And go hardcore, you put enough detail into the news! Just write down your thoughts and feelings on the journey...Angel
Site Administrator
(17 Feb 2015, 4:27 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Oh, so you've been out. I expect a review then. Big Grin

And go hardcore, you put enough detail into the news! Just write down your thoughts and feelings on the journey...Angel

Once you see the photos, you'll realise why I couldn't be bothered to collate details of my journeys! Tongue 
(17 Feb 2015, 4:30 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote Maybe the flowers on the side of the Fab56 were to make the bus smell nicer? Tongue

Fab56 and the Wee Metro, both serve Sunderland, so maybe Mackems are to blame. Big Grin
Would need a bit more on the inside.
Haven't been on one that isn't lifting.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Marxista Fozzski
(17 Feb 2015, 4:20 pm)Andreos1 wrote Mind, if you ain't a fan of the smell of urine, watch out for those orange deckers on the 56.

Me and my well known and well timed bus clearing farts Big Grin
Met my friends today, and went ice skating so it turned into a nice little trip, it went as follows :

1 -Bedlington Station to Blyth Bus Station -1767
308- Blyth Bus Station to Whitley Bay- 7803
308- Whitley Bay to Newcastle Haymarket -7808
X21- Newcastle to Bedlington Station-7504
2- Bedlington Station to Bedlington -1765

Really enjoyed it all, hybrids were great, 7504 was warmer than I thought it would be and both 1765 and 1767 seemed half decent. My lifts to/from Bedlington meant that I saved money as I didn't have to buy a day ticket.
Just been told by her sitting on the other settee that as its her birthday on Sunday and as its my long weekend she wants to go to the Magpie in Whitby for fish and chips. First I thought grrrrrrrrr I fancied a nice roast beef dinner, then it dawned on me that I also fancy a ride on a Arriva MAX Volvo B9TL on the X93. Done the travel itinerary, might not get as far as the trip report when she realizes the little white lie about the travel time only being about 30 mins longer than when we go in the car.

Anyway here goes:-

0746 Metro Sunderland to Heworth 0807
0818 X10 Heworth to Middlesbrough 0933
1020 X93 Middlesbrough to Whitby 1128
1758 X93 Whitby to Middlesbrough 1906
1915 X12 Middlesbrough to Durham 2020
2034 20 Durham to North Moor 2118

Not much to see bus wise in Whitby on a Sunday in February unfortunately.
(19 Feb 2015, 12:58 am)roar wrote Just been told by her sitting on the other settee that as its her birthday on Sunday and as its my long weekend she wants to go to the Magpie in Whitby for fish and chips. First I thought grrrrrrrrr I fancied a nice roast beef dinner, then it dawned on me that I also fancy a ride on a Arriva MAX Volvo B9TL on the X93. Done the travel itinerary, might not get as far as the trip report when she realizes the little white lie about the travel time only being about 30 mins longer than when we go in the car.

Anyway here goes:-

0746 Metro Sunderland to Heworth 0807
0818 X10 Heworth to Middlesbrough 0933
1020 X93 Middlesbrough to Whitby 1128
1758 X93 Whitby to Middlesbrough 1906
1915 X12 Middlesbrough to Durham 2020
2034 20 Durham to North Moor 2118

Not much to see bus wise in Whitby on a Sunday in February unfortunately.

Nice knowing you.
Marxista Fozzski
(19 Feb 2015, 6:59 pm)Tom wrote Well on Saturday I'm unsure whether to do a Northumberland Trip or a County Durham trip.
Anyone got any suggestions?
Where you from Tom?
Marxista Fozzski
(19 Feb 2015, 7:10 pm)Tom wrote Wallsend Smile
How about a trip to Consett, Stanley, CLS, Durham, Bishop, Darlington and finally Stockton or Middlesbrough and get TTX back to Newcastle...I imagine it would be a long day though
I haven't done the 34, but a leading driver says it carries fresh air most of the time. It's a nice route apparently.

I believe that North Blyth and Cambois are represented by some pensioner who moans about there being an every 90 minute frequency and demanded an hourly frequency! Big Grin