Menu

Pages (6)    14 5 6   
Andreos1   21 Feb 2015, 3:38 pm
(21 Feb 2015, 2:14 pm)gtom wrote It was limited stop.  I don't even remember it going to Gateshead.  It had ridiculous fares too for some reason.  I paid £1.50 back from Bishop to Newcastle.

One of the coach workings used to run a short 21 CLS to NCL then run back as an X23.
At one point, it had graded fares dependant on the time of the trip.
Think there were 3 different 'bands'.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
S813 FVK   21 Feb 2015, 4:39 pm
(21 Feb 2015, 3:38 pm)Andreos1 wrote At one point, it had graded fares dependant on the time of the trip.

Aye. Simply gold, silver and bronze.
Andreos1   21 Feb 2015, 4:45 pm
(21 Feb 2015, 4:39 pm)Robert wrote Aye. Simply gold, silver and bronze.
Cheers, that sounds about right. Knew it was something like that.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
S813 FVK   21 Feb 2015, 6:37 pm
(21 Feb 2015, 4:45 pm)Andreos1 wrote Cheers, that sounds about right. Knew it was something like that.

Quickly prepared a rough timetable for the X23 which was effective from 15th February 2010:

The fares are in the direction of Newcastle and Durham only, i am guessing the fares would be the same for the other direction:
Attached Files
.png
X23 timetable.png (Size 55.96 KB Downloads 40)
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
gtom   22 Feb 2015, 3:18 pm
Those fares are absolutely gold (or silver or bronze)

An express coach or a tatty B7....improvements they say.....
Dan   22 Feb 2015, 3:33 pm
(22 Feb 2015, 3:18 pm)gtom wrote Those fares are absolutely gold (or silver or bronze)

An express coach or a tatty B7....improvements they say.....

Four Monday - Friday departures versus how many these days?
R852 PRG   22 Feb 2015, 3:35 pm
(22 Feb 2015, 3:33 pm)Dan wrote Four Monday - Friday departures versus how many these days?

One every half an hour! Tongue
Dan   22 Feb 2015, 3:36 pm
(22 Feb 2015, 3:35 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote One every half an hour! Tongue

From what time until when?

I rest my case!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
R852 PRG   22 Feb 2015, 3:40 pm
(22 Feb 2015, 3:36 pm)Dan wrote From what time until when?

I rest my case!

First #X21 leaves Bishop Auckland at 05:57, last one leaves at 22:39 (albeit terminates at Chester-le-Street, only carrying on to Newcastle Pilgrim Street on Friday evenings).

Fair to say that's an improvement made. Tongue
MurdnunoC   22 Feb 2015, 3:51 pm
(21 Feb 2015, 3:38 pm)Andreos1 wrote At one point, it had graded fares dependant on the time of the trip.

I think the wording on the promotional literature is interesting.

"Fare Choice tickets are colour-coded to make it easy for you to choose the cheapest price for your journey and by planning ahead you can get a great deal on cheaper travel.

For example, if you are able to travel during the quietest times, tickets in our bronze fare band offer you the cheapest prices, whereas our busiest services fall into the gold fare band and are more expensive."

Not that it matters now, but were these fares variable or fixed?

For example, if nobody used the service for the prices set at Gold and everybody opted for the service using the Bronze fares - would cheaper fares still be offered the service which had become the busiest and most well used? 
Adrian   22 Feb 2015, 4:09 pm
The fares were single only. Buzzfares and other multi trip tickets were still available, and the majority of commuters would have been using multi trip tickets...

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
LeeCalder   22 Feb 2015, 4:16 pm
Things I don't always think about?

Why is the bloody X25 always late!?!?!?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
MurdnunoC   22 Feb 2015, 4:46 pm
(22 Feb 2015, 4:09 pm)aureolin wrote The fares were single only. Buzzfares and other multi trip tickets were still available, and the majority of commuters would have been using multi trip tickets...

I get that. What I was getting at was the use of 'busiest' and 'quietest' within the leaflet. If what was expected to be the quietest service turned out to be the busiest (and the busiest the quietest) over a prolonged period of time, would the 'Gold' (or Bronze) pricing band be suddenly applied to that particular journey to reflect passenger trends?

Dan   22 Feb 2015, 5:00 pm
(22 Feb 2015, 4:46 pm)MurdnunoC wrote I get that. What I was getting at was the use of 'busiest' and 'quietest' within the leaflet. If what was expected to be the quietest service turned out to be the busiest (and the busiest the quietest) over a prolonged period of time, would the 'Gold' (or Bronze) pricing band be suddenly applied to that particular journey to reflect passenger trends? 

I'm not in a position to answer whether the pricing structure would have been flexible or not, but based on those times, do you think the trend would change? It's the only option for any 9 'til 5 workers, to get the buses in the gold band.

Even now with the X21, I'd say the majority of traffic flows from Bishop / Durham to Newcastle on a morning, and the other way on a night.
MurdnunoC   22 Feb 2015, 5:04 pm
(22 Feb 2015, 5:00 pm)Dan wrote I'm not in a position to answer whether the pricing structure would have been flexible or not, but based on those times, do you think the trend would change? It's the only option for any 9 'til 5 workers, to get the buses in the gold band.

Even now with the X21, I'd say the majority of traffic flows from Bishop / Durham to Newcastle on a morning, and the other way on a night.

Of course I don't think trends of travel between Bishop Auckland/Durham to Newcastle (or vice versa) would change. It was just something that struck me whilst reading the literature. 
Adrian   22 Feb 2015, 7:45 pm
(22 Feb 2015, 4:46 pm)MurdnunoC wrote I get that. What I was getting at was the use of 'busiest' and 'quietest' within the leaflet. If what was expected to be the quietest service turned out to be the busiest (and the busiest the quietest) over a prolonged period of time, would the 'Gold' (or Bronze) pricing band be suddenly applied to that particular journey to reflect passenger trends?

I'd like to think, but in reality, I don't know! 

I'm not a massive fan of peak/off-peak fares, or at least in the way they're used in the industry. I'd prefer seeing an 'off-peak' discount applied correctly, i.e. in terms of cheaper singles/returns on a evening or Sunday? If these services are being repeatedly cut due to the lack of people using them, then maybe it would encourage growth?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
gtom   22 Feb 2015, 8:23 pm
(22 Feb 2015, 3:33 pm)Dan wrote Four Monday - Friday departures versus how many these days?

Defensive Dan strikes again! You aren't on a retainer from GNE are you?

I was referring to stock as opposed to timings etc, as a commuter I'd rather be a comfortable coach than a B7 or a Trident on a longer journey

I'm sure you spend your days trawling my posts looking for something to win on. You're like an even more autistic Baz
Dan   22 Feb 2015, 8:28 pm
(22 Feb 2015, 8:23 pm)gtom wrote Defensive Dan strikes again! You aren't on a retainer from GNE are you?

I was referring to stock as opposed to timings etc, as a commuter I'd rather be a comfortable coach than a B7 or a Trident on a longer journey

I'm sure you spend your days trawling my posts looking for something to win on.  You're like an even more autistic Baz

I've no reason to be defensive - I was just stating my opinion that the service has improved over the years contrary to what it seemed you were suggesting... Marcus proved this by answering my questions, really.

Sadly, the days of coaches being allocated to long distance / express routes are long gone. You may have seen my recent posts regarding Arriva's Plaxton Prima coaches, and how much I enjoyed them on the 685 and X20 services, but I wouldn't suggest that Arriva hasn't improved the services those coaches used to be allocated to simply because they've now been withdrawn from public service... Arriva allegedly plans to upgrade these services to "MAX" specification, improving the service for customers. When Go North East upgrades its "Pronto" X21 service, it's highly likely the bus will feature the provision of free Wi-Fi and power sockets with high-backed seating. As comfortable as coaches are, I'd suggest that's an improvement...
R852 PRG   22 Feb 2015, 8:37 pm
(22 Feb 2015, 8:23 pm)gtom wrote Defensive Dan strikes again! You aren't on a retainer from GNE are you?

I'm sure you spend your days trawling my posts looking for something to win on. You're like an even more autistic Baz

Didn't realise your memories of the DAFs remain so cold in your memory...
citaro5284   22 Feb 2015, 8:40 pm

I'm sure you spend your days trawling my posts looking for something to win on.  You're like an even more autistic Baz

What a disgraceful and unnecessary remark to make.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
MrFozz   22 Feb 2015, 8:42 pm

Ouch
Jimmi   22 Feb 2015, 8:45 pm

Is there really any f***ing need for this!
gtom   22 Feb 2015, 9:01 pm
Faux moral outrage

Of course it's fine to attack Hodgson and Co.

No there was no need. I wanted to and I can. I really don't give a fuck either way
Michael   22 Feb 2015, 9:04 pm
(22 Feb 2015, 9:01 pm)gtom wrote Faux moral outrage

No there was no need. I wanted to and I can. I really don't give a fuck either way

Wait i'm confused... whos attacked Hodgson and co?...

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
MrFozz   22 Feb 2015, 9:12 pm
(22 Feb 2015, 9:04 pm)Michael wrote Wait i'm confused... whos attacked Hodgson and co?...

Apart from a shit World Cup last year, I haven't noticed any serious attacks o. Roy and his pals
Malarkey   22 Feb 2015, 9:16 pm
(22 Feb 2015, 9:04 pm)Michael wrote Wait i'm confused... whos attacked Hodgson and co?...

(22 Feb 2015, 9:12 pm)MrFozz wrote Apart from a shit World Cup last year, I haven't noticed any serious attacks o. Roy and his pals

Think gtom was referencing Steven Hodgson and his motley crew of older Enthusiasts.
MrFozz   22 Feb 2015, 9:17 pm
(22 Feb 2015, 9:16 pm)Malarkey wrote Think gtom was referencing Steven Hodgson and his motley crew of older Enthusiasts.
I know...I was trying to lighten the mood with a shitty, lame joke Big Grin
Michael   22 Feb 2015, 9:18 pm
(22 Feb 2015, 9:16 pm)Malarkey wrote Think gtom was referencing Steven Hodgson and his motley crew of older Enthusiasts.

Ye but i'm not sure who has attacked them on here, iv'e only seen Steven Hodgson a few times.. and i'm not sure who he hangs around with... 

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
R852 PRG   22 Feb 2015, 9:18 pm
Basically: those older enthusiasts who stand in between Eldon Square and Haymarket from dawn till dusk.
LeeCalder   23 Feb 2015, 4:25 pm
(22 Feb 2015, 9:01 pm)gtom wrote Faux moral outrage

Are you taking the piss?!?! You can't just go around talking like that to people
Pages (6)    14 5 6