Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (28) Previous 113 14 1528 Next
13 Apr 2015, 3:46 pm #261
May these be some of the reasons that Sapphire X21/X22 isn't well used?
  • Friends of would-be passengers giving bad reviews eg. power sockets and wifi doesn't work, dirty bus.
  • Seeing Sapphire buses being towed, off putting for would-be customers.
  • 57-reg buses being used and very noisy and smelly
  • Generally sick of the constant late running of the services
  • Wasn't well advertised, never saw anything in local newspapers
  • There is an alternative X20 express
  • Hard to understand frequency on Bedlington Front Street, although being marketed as every 10 minutes
I think Arriva refurbishing buses of this state for the X21/X22, have damaged the reputation of these routes. I've saw two people redeem free DaySavers on Sapphire then getting off and using the X20 before the Sapphire even left.

When I've used the X21 before Sapphire, the loadings were decent enough for a decker, but since Sapphire, I've witnessed the loading fall on my everyday journeys.

On the other hand, route 1, is gaining more passengers; my usual journey on a Sunday has saw from 3 people arriving in Ashington, to 15 people yesterday.
omnicity4659
13 Apr 2015, 3:46 pm #261

May these be some of the reasons that Sapphire X21/X22 isn't well used?

• Friends of would-be passengers giving bad reviews eg. power sockets and wifi doesn't work, dirty bus.
  • Seeing Sapphire buses being towed, off putting for would-be customers.
  • 57-reg buses being used and very noisy and smelly
  • Generally sick of the constant late running of the services
  • Wasn't well advertised, never saw anything in local newspapers
  • There is an alternative X20 express
  • Hard to understand frequency on Bedlington Front Street, although being marketed as every 10 minutes
I think Arriva refurbishing buses of this state for the X21/X22, have damaged the reputation of these routes. I've saw two people redeem free DaySavers on Sapphire then getting off and using the X20 before the Sapphire even left.

When I've used the X21 before Sapphire, the loadings were decent enough for a decker, but since Sapphire, I've witnessed the loading fall on my everyday journeys.

On the other hand, route 1, is gaining more passengers; my usual journey on a Sunday has saw from 3 people arriving in Ashington, to 15 people yesterday.

cbma06

13 Apr 2015, 3:50 pm #262
(13 Apr 2015, 3:43 pm)Robert Some of the sapphire streetlites entered service today, it was allocated to service 24. Have plans changed yet again?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/16042610@N...otostream/

Unless the driver inserted wrong destination.

How long does it take to put the Sapphire markings up on the bus?

The 24 should of been done max spec with pulsars, then passengers have a choice between a Sapphire on service 22 and a Max on service 24 to peterlee lol.

cbma06
13 Apr 2015, 3:50 pm #262

(13 Apr 2015, 3:43 pm)Robert Some of the sapphire streetlites entered service today, it was allocated to service 24. Have plans changed yet again?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/16042610@N...otostream/

Unless the driver inserted wrong destination.

The 24 should of been done max spec with pulsars, then passengers have a choice between a Sapphire on service 22 and a Max on service 24 to peterlee lol.

Jimmi

13 Apr 2015, 4:01 pm #263
(13 Apr 2015, 3:46 pm)aureolin The bus I'm on has a notice of lower fares on the 56, but only for Coundon Village and Leeholme? Between those points and Bishop Auckland bus station will drop to £1.70 single/£3.20 return.

Is this in competition with the GNE OK way service or something? I don't know the area that well.

Yeah the 56 competes with the OK Way service 18 from the Coundon area into Bishop Auckland.
Edited 13 Apr 2015, 4:16 pm by Jimmi.
Jimmi
13 Apr 2015, 4:01 pm #263

(13 Apr 2015, 3:46 pm)aureolin The bus I'm on has a notice of lower fares on the 56, but only for Coundon Village and Leeholme? Between those points and Bishop Auckland bus station will drop to £1.70 single/£3.20 return.

Is this in competition with the GNE OK way service or something? I don't know the area that well.

Yeah the 56 competes with the OK Way service 18 from the Coundon area into Bishop Auckland.

Jimmi

13 Apr 2015, 4:09 pm #264
(13 Apr 2015, 3:50 pm)cbma06 Unless the driver inserted wrong destination.

Well it had passengers on-board on the photo I saw so one would assume it was operating the 24.

Think having two different brands would not be best idea as with making them both Sapphire it would probably be easier to promote the 22/24 between Durham and Peterlee running on a combined 15 minute frequency (although it follows different routes).
Jimmi
13 Apr 2015, 4:09 pm #264

Well it had passengers on-board on the photo I saw so one would assume it was operating the 24.

Think having two different brands would not be best idea as with making them both Sapphire it would probably be easier to promote the 22/24 between Durham and Peterlee running on a combined 15 minute frequency (although it follows different routes).

tyresmoke

13 Apr 2015, 5:02 pm #265

1595 was on service 22 I understand!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
13 Apr 2015, 5:02 pm #265

1595 was on service 22 I understand!

13 Apr 2015, 5:07 pm #266
Only 7540 remains in Ashington depot tonight.
omnicity4659
13 Apr 2015, 5:07 pm #266

Only 7540 remains in Ashington depot tonight.

Jimmi

13 Apr 2015, 5:12 pm #267
(13 Apr 2015, 5:02 pm)tyresmoke 1595 was on service 22 I understand!
Think I'll head to Durham tomorrow and see if any make it out in service again.

That's providing I can stop coughing my lungs up.
Jimmi
13 Apr 2015, 5:12 pm #267

(13 Apr 2015, 5:02 pm)tyresmoke 1595 was on service 22 I understand!
Think I'll head to Durham tomorrow and see if any make it out in service again.

That's providing I can stop coughing my lungs up.

Stewy

13 Apr 2015, 7:47 pm #268
Just been speaking to a new driver for Darlington depot, he went to the depot yesterday and as it happened he got asked by the leading driver if he had a spare 20 mins to be familiarised with the Sapphire Double Deckers, he thought it was a wind up, the leading driver then went on to say it's incase we put them on different services

I was lead to believe that the Sapphire Double Deckers were for sapphire service 7 so I don't see any point in other drivers needing to be familiarised on them,

If there going to be used on any service then why not just paint them into normal Arriva livery
Stewy
13 Apr 2015, 7:47 pm #268

Just been speaking to a new driver for Darlington depot, he went to the depot yesterday and as it happened he got asked by the leading driver if he had a spare 20 mins to be familiarised with the Sapphire Double Deckers, he thought it was a wind up, the leading driver then went on to say it's incase we put them on different services

I was lead to believe that the Sapphire Double Deckers were for sapphire service 7 so I don't see any point in other drivers needing to be familiarised on them,

If there going to be used on any service then why not just paint them into normal Arriva livery

Adrian

13 Apr 2015, 7:48 pm #269
(13 Apr 2015, 7:47 pm)Stewy Just been speaking to a new driver for Darlington depot, he went to the depot yesterday and as it happened he got asked by the leading driver if he had a spare 20 mins to be familiarised with the Sapphire Double Deckers, he thought it was a wind up, the leading driver then went on to say it's incase we put them on different services

Same could be said about Blyth's entire depot.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
13 Apr 2015, 7:48 pm #269

(13 Apr 2015, 7:47 pm)Stewy Just been speaking to a new driver for Darlington depot, he went to the depot yesterday and as it happened he got asked by the leading driver if he had a spare 20 mins to be familiarised with the Sapphire Double Deckers, he thought it was a wind up, the leading driver then went on to say it's incase we put them on different services

Same could be said about Blyth's entire depot.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Jimmi

13 Apr 2015, 7:54 pm #270

They should only be used on the 7 although any regular viewer of my Flickr photostream will know that the Pulsars currently used on the 7 do have a tendency to appear off route at times, seen them several times on the 5/5A in the last few months.
Jimmi
13 Apr 2015, 7:54 pm #270

They should only be used on the 7 although any regular viewer of my Flickr photostream will know that the Pulsars currently used on the 7 do have a tendency to appear off route at times, seen them several times on the 5/5A in the last few months.

Stewy

13 Apr 2015, 8:16 pm #271
(13 Apr 2015, 7:54 pm)Jimmi They should only be used on the 7 although any regular viewer of my Flickr photostream will know that the Pulsars currently used on the 7 do have a tendency to appear off route at times, seen them several times on the 5/5A in the last few months.

Ah yeah there is that, and I should have thought of that with my bus to town earlier being 1514 on the 5A, and apparently according to the same late leading driver that got the driver to be familiarised were not due 5 were supposed to be getting 6/8 so maybe some more on order? 
Stewy
13 Apr 2015, 8:16 pm #271

(13 Apr 2015, 7:54 pm)Jimmi They should only be used on the 7 although any regular viewer of my Flickr photostream will know that the Pulsars currently used on the 7 do have a tendency to appear off route at times, seen them several times on the 5/5A in the last few months.

Ah yeah there is that, and I should have thought of that with my bus to town earlier being 1514 on the 5A, and apparently according to the same late leading driver that got the driver to be familiarised were not due 5 were supposed to be getting 6/8 so maybe some more on order? 

S813 FVK

13 Apr 2015, 8:18 pm #272
(13 Apr 2015, 8:16 pm)Stewy Ah yeah there is that, and I should have thought of that with my bus to town earlier being 1514 on the 5A, and apparently according to the same late leading driver that got the driver to be familiarised were not due 5 were supposed to be getting 6/8 so maybe some more on order? 

There were 7 on order but only 5 are going onto the 7.
S813 FVK
13 Apr 2015, 8:18 pm #272

(13 Apr 2015, 8:16 pm)Stewy Ah yeah there is that, and I should have thought of that with my bus to town earlier being 1514 on the 5A, and apparently according to the same late leading driver that got the driver to be familiarised were not due 5 were supposed to be getting 6/8 so maybe some more on order? 

There were 7 on order but only 5 are going onto the 7.

mb134

13 Apr 2015, 8:22 pm #273
Just a thought, but could it be for Sunday's, if the PVR is below 5? (Sorry if it isn't, no clue about most routes south of the Tyne PVR etc wise) 

Alternatively, I know that when a bus if off the road at Ashington, when it's fixed, it may return to service on a more local route first, the 35 for example, could it be a similar thing here?
mb134
13 Apr 2015, 8:22 pm #273

Just a thought, but could it be for Sunday's, if the PVR is below 5? (Sorry if it isn't, no clue about most routes south of the Tyne PVR etc wise) 

Alternatively, I know that when a bus if off the road at Ashington, when it's fixed, it may return to service on a more local route first, the 35 for example, could it be a similar thing here?

MrPottski

13 Apr 2015, 8:30 pm #274
(13 Apr 2015, 8:18 pm)Robert There were 7 on order but only 5 are going onto the 7.
I got familiarised too. Very nice to drive! I think 2 are for Durham, but could be wrong
MrPottski
13 Apr 2015, 8:30 pm #274

(13 Apr 2015, 8:18 pm)Robert There were 7 on order but only 5 are going onto the 7.
I got familiarised too. Very nice to drive! I think 2 are for Durham, but could be wrong

Jimmi

13 Apr 2015, 8:35 pm #275
(13 Apr 2015, 8:22 pm)mb134 Just a thought, but could it be for Sunday's, if the PVR is below 5? (Sorry if it isn't, no clue about most routes south of the Tyne PVR etc wise) 

I think the reason why they are probably training non Sapphire drivers is for if the Enivro's need to appear off route for whatever reason, so say a bus on service 5 needs to be replaced and all there is available to replace the bus is a Sapphire Enviro and the service never normally has a Sapphire driver so they will be unfamiliar with the bus as the only examples are for the 7 which has a team of dedicated drivers.

Doubt they will be appearing on other routes on a Sunday, may be wrong but it's looking possible that the 7 may interwork with the 19 on Sundays from next month although it will probably still have Sapphire drivers and I imagine Pulsars would be used on Sundays. Think the 7 has a PVR of 3 on a Sunday.
Jimmi
13 Apr 2015, 8:35 pm #275

(13 Apr 2015, 8:22 pm)mb134 Just a thought, but could it be for Sunday's, if the PVR is below 5? (Sorry if it isn't, no clue about most routes south of the Tyne PVR etc wise) 

I think the reason why they are probably training non Sapphire drivers is for if the Enivro's need to appear off route for whatever reason, so say a bus on service 5 needs to be replaced and all there is available to replace the bus is a Sapphire Enviro and the service never normally has a Sapphire driver so they will be unfamiliar with the bus as the only examples are for the 7 which has a team of dedicated drivers.

Doubt they will be appearing on other routes on a Sunday, may be wrong but it's looking possible that the 7 may interwork with the 19 on Sundays from next month although it will probably still have Sapphire drivers and I imagine Pulsars would be used on Sundays. Think the 7 has a PVR of 3 on a Sunday.

RobinHood

13 Apr 2015, 8:39 pm #276
I think it is sensible to assume that whilst they are to be branded and used exclusively for Service 7, no depot will leave a journey missing if they have a spare bus - regardless of what brand it is.

The difference is that some depots are better at actually getting the buses on the right routes from first thing and the confidence that they will stay on there and not require to come off for work.
RobinHood
13 Apr 2015, 8:39 pm #276

I think it is sensible to assume that whilst they are to be branded and used exclusively for Service 7, no depot will leave a journey missing if they have a spare bus - regardless of what brand it is.

The difference is that some depots are better at actually getting the buses on the right routes from first thing and the confidence that they will stay on there and not require to come off for work.

Jimmi

13 Apr 2015, 8:40 pm #277
(13 Apr 2015, 8:30 pm)MrPottski I got familiarised too. Very nice to drive! I think 2 are for Durham, but could be wrong
Two should be going to Belmont for service 24.

I hope they are nice to ride.
Jimmi
13 Apr 2015, 8:40 pm #277

(13 Apr 2015, 8:30 pm)MrPottski I got familiarised too. Very nice to drive! I think 2 are for Durham, but could be wrong
Two should be going to Belmont for service 24.

I hope they are nice to ride.

tyresmoke

13 Apr 2015, 10:35 pm #278
No good having a bus break down and the replacement coming in the shape of an E400 only to find the driver hasn't been trained on them...

tyresmoke
13 Apr 2015, 10:35 pm #278

No good having a bus break down and the replacement coming in the shape of an E400 only to find the driver hasn't been trained on them...

Stewy

13 Apr 2015, 11:16 pm #279
(13 Apr 2015, 10:35 pm)tyresmoke No good having a bus break down and the replacement coming in the shape of an E400 only to find the driver hasn't been trained on them...

But wouldn't it be easier to put all the E400 on the 7 and keep sapphire pulsars as the spare one? Then that was all the Deckers will be used on the routes there for 
Stewy
13 Apr 2015, 11:16 pm #279

(13 Apr 2015, 10:35 pm)tyresmoke No good having a bus break down and the replacement coming in the shape of an E400 only to find the driver hasn't been trained on them...

But wouldn't it be easier to put all the E400 on the 7 and keep sapphire pulsars as the spare one? Then that was all the Deckers will be used on the routes there for 

tyresmoke

13 Apr 2015, 11:42 pm #280
(13 Apr 2015, 11:16 pm)Stewy But wouldn't it be easier to put all the E400 on the 7 and keep sapphire pulsars as the spare one? Then that was all the Deckers will be used on the routes there for 

In practice yes but sods law dictates that one day there'll be an Enviro off for it's monthly check or whatever reason, which ends up being used to replace a breakdown on another service...

tyresmoke
13 Apr 2015, 11:42 pm #280

(13 Apr 2015, 11:16 pm)Stewy But wouldn't it be easier to put all the E400 on the 7 and keep sapphire pulsars as the spare one? Then that was all the Deckers will be used on the routes there for 

In practice yes but sods law dictates that one day there'll be an Enviro off for it's monthly check or whatever reason, which ends up being used to replace a breakdown on another service...

Pages (28) Previous 113 14 1528 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average