You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015
(13 Apr 2015, 8:12 pm)Robert wrote Can you tell it was the first time that i rode a vyking with all of these questions Tongue Breaking down was the tip of the iceberg like. I HATE THEM and i can see why they were removed from the 21. The sooner they're gone the better.

I first rode them when they were on the 21.. it was soo cold as it was winter, i hate them so much, when Deptford got them.. they were on the 26 alot... 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(13 Apr 2015, 8:14 pm)Michael wrote I first rode them when they were on the 21.. it was soo cold as it was winter, i hate them so much, when Deptford got them.. they were on the 26 alot... 

I am guessing the second door is unable to be used too? Thats basically losing 4 seats at least. Ridiculous. Same goes for the dual door renowns.
(13 Apr 2015, 8:17 pm)Robert wrote I am guessing the second door is unable to be used too? Thats basically losing 4 seats at least. Ridiculous. Same goes for the dual door renowns.

They couldn't when they were on the 26, due to the curbs being to low, not sure if they can be used on any of the current routes.

It is but it was pointless refurbing them, can't remember the reason why though.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(13 Apr 2015, 8:12 pm)Robert wrote Can you tell it was the first time that i rode a vyking with all of these questions  Breaking down was the tip of the iceberg like. I HATE THEM and i can see why they were removed from the 21. The sooner they're gone the better.

When I was in my first year at college my mate was a regular user of the 21 when the Vykings were on the service and he often experienced breakdowns and no shows and often ended up on the X2.

I was often seeing them broken down and this was just on the section between Croxdale and Framwellgate Moor, the worst was once it just lost all power going down the A167 between Croxdale and Cock O' the North and we were following it on the 7.

Doubt anyone will miss these sheds.
(13 Apr 2015, 8:24 pm)Jimmi wrote When I was in my first year at college my mate was a regular user of the 21 when the Vykings were on the service and he often experienced breakdowns and no shows and often ended up on the X2.

I was often seeing them broken down and this was just on the section between Croxdale and Framwellgate Moor, the worst was once it just lost all power going down the A167 between Croxdale and Cock O' the North and we were following it on the 7.

Doubt anyone will miss these sheds.

Why is it when you pass The Angel of the North, you see an Angel, but when you pass Cock of the North, you dont see a Massive Cock. 

#JustCurious 
#BitBaffled
#HashtagsOnNEB
Site Administrator
(13 Apr 2015, 8:22 pm)Michael wrote They couldn't when they were on the 26, due to the curbs being to low, not sure if they can be used on any of the current routes.

It is but it was pointless refurbing them, can't remember the reason why though.

The Vykings retained the dual door configuration because removing it would make the vehicles non DDA-compliant (meaning that they'd have to be disposed of by 1 January 2017). The wheelchair ramp is fitted to the rear door, and it cost far too much to make the appropriate adjustments to move it to the front.

The Vykings will be in the fleet for the foreseeable future. They're primarily allocated to Riverside's scholars services, though obviously there's a few others based at Deptford and Chester-le-Street for the time being, also seeing allocation to scholars. This work is hardly demanding and the Vykings are suitable for this purpose.
(13 Apr 2015, 8:33 pm)Dan wrote The Vykings retained the dual door configuration because removing it would make the vehicles non DDA-compliant. The wheelchair ramp is fitted to the rear door, and it cost far too much to make the appropriate adjustments to move it to the front.

The Vykings will be in the fleet for the foreseeable future. They're primarily allocated to Riverside's scholars services, though obviously there's a few others based at Deptford and Chester-le-Street for the time being, also seeing allocation to scholars.

Ahhh yes that was reason!

The Vykings can leave Deptford and not come back...  Angel
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
When i was in the 9 today 6042 engine u can hear it for miles coz its rough loud as out engineneers need to have a look at that bus if i see it not getting on it told the driver he said he feels like putting cotton wool in his lugs lol
(13 Apr 2015, 8:32 pm)Malarkey wrote Why is it when you pass The Angel of the North, you see an Angel, but when you pass Cock of the North, you dont see a Massive Cock. 

#JustCurious 
#BitBaffled
#HashtagsOnNEB

Well the pub that used to be there, had a canny sized sign with a pic of it Wink
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(13 Apr 2015, 8:51 pm)Andreos1 wrote Well the pub that used to be there, had a canny sized sign with a pic of it Wink

Picture isnt any good now is it, the people of Durham need a Statue, petition anyone Wink .
(13 Apr 2015, 8:32 pm)Malarkey wrote Why is it when you pass The Angel of the North, you see an Angel, but when you pass Cock of the North, you dont see a Massive Cock. 

#JustCurious 
#BitBaffled
#HashtagsOnNEB

(13 Apr 2015, 8:51 pm)Andreos1 wrote Well the pub that used to be there, had a canny sized sign with a pic of it Wink

Judging by a post made by Aureolin the other day, a new sign may well be on its way...

http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=930&pid=98704#pid98704
(13 Apr 2015, 8:56 pm)MurdnunoC wrote Judging by a post made by Aureolin the other day, a new sign may well be on its way...

http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=930&pid=98704#pid98704

Ha!

She must be waiting for the X21.
(13 Apr 2015, 4:50 pm)Robert wrote Thats an error made by Go North East rather than Michael since the same mistake is on that page too.

Apologies to Michael, I had not looked at the website 
(13 Apr 2015, 9:06 pm)Coppercap40 wrote Apologies to Michael, I had not looked at the website 

No probs although i didnt post it, a admin edited to include it so it wasn't posted again. Smile
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(13 Apr 2015, 8:11 pm)mb134 wrote Just wondering, is there any difference between the ELC Lowlander and the Vyking? They look identical to me, is it to do with the chassis, VDL/DAF or Volvo, or is it something else?

It's mainly due to the chassis. For example, Wright, East Lancs and Optare tended to give a different bodyname to a vehicle body depending on chassis.

For example with East Lancs when they started building low floor deckers.

Lolyne was for the Trident.
Vyking was for the B7TL
Lowlander was for DAF DB250 (however none were built)

Then around 2000, they brought out the Myllenium style.
So basically it was...
Myllenium Lolyne
Myllenium Vyking
Myllenium Lowlander

Though the Myllenium named isn't carried, it is just referred to as body style.
However to catch the wary out. Some of Blackpool Transport Myllenium Lolynes (ex Isle of Man) aren't true Myllenium Lolynes, as they were originally the standard Lolyne body.

I may as well do a shameless plug whilst I'm here to show the different body styles that each bus builder have created.
East Lancs - http://www.gjm-photogenic.co.uk/016EastLancs.htm
Optare - http://www.gjm-photogenic.co.uk/043OptareIndex.htm
Wright - http://www.gjm-photogenic.co.uk/091WrightIndex.htm
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Spotted 8330 today, with an NSA display fitted, and showing a purple screen with 'simplicity' on it.
Site Administrator
(14 Apr 2015, 2:05 am)park5354 wrote Spotted 8330 today, with an NSA display fitted, and showing a purple screen with 'simplicity' on it.

8319/27 have lost their Next Stop Announcenents and 8330/38 have gained them. 8320-26 are going to donate their screens to 8331-37 likewise. The screens will show "SimpliCity" until the revised Next Stop Announcement programme is loaded. This means that none of Deptford's Versas have Next Stop Announcements but all of Riverside's do - a rational move, given that all of Deptford's Versas are allocated to services 2/2A but four of them were not fitted with Next Stop Announcements so the announcements on 8319 - 8327 could not be used.

Go North East's Fleet Allocation document has been updated accordingly to show 8319 - 8327 without and 8330 - 8338 with ($ denotes a vehicle which is equipped with Next Stop Announcements):
.png nsa_1.png
.png nsa_2.png
(14 Apr 2015, 5:14 am)Dan wrote 8319/27 have lost their Next Stop Announcenents and 8330/38 have gained them. 8320-26 are going to donate their screens to 8331-37 likewise. The screens will show "SimpliCity" until the revised Next Stop Announcement programme is loaded. This means that none of Deptford's Versas have Next Stop Announcements but all of Riverside's do - a rational move, given that all of Deptford's Versas are allocated to services 2/2A but four of them were not fitted with Next Stop Announcements so the announcements on 8319 - 8327 could not be used.

Go North East's Fleet Allocation document has been updated accordingly to show 8319 - 8327 without and 8330 - 8338 with ($ denotes a vehicle which is equipped with Next Stop Announcements):

Be fun when the orbit get the stop announcement's, are they waiting to see whats happening to the Quaylink before putting the routes on them because i think it was Malarky said someone in his family got a leaflet saying the 51/52 was replacing the Q1 to Newcastle doing the Quayside route...

And of course the Q2/Q3 

Any more news on any of the above info? 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Stu Elmore is back to school with @GoSmarterSchool! Watch the video in this link and you could win an iPhone 6! http://t.co/BFrhf07eCa

A bit PR for GNE with the Metro Radio/Go Smarter scheme.

Shame he used a POP card Wink
The driver of the 33/33A.. currently has on the bus... 35A Silksworth...
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
5298 is sounding extremely dodgy. Never heard a Merc sound like that.
Scania OmniCity CN94UB
(14 Apr 2015, 1:05 am)GMitchelhill wrote Lowlander was for DAF DB250 (however none were built).

What do you mean Gary? There are a large batch at Durham depot with Arriva and a batch of VDL DB250's with ELC Lowlander bodies too?
3969 was back in service today after its breakdown on Monday. It was allocated to Scholars service 828 tonight.
(15 Apr 2015, 4:02 pm)NK05 GWZ wrote What do you mean Gary? There are a large batch at Durham depot with Arriva and a batch of VDL DB250's with ELC Lowlander bodies too?

Arriva's examples are East Lancs Myllennium Lowlander bodied. The "Myllennium" part is typically dropped, despite it being their official name.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(15 Apr 2015, 4:37 pm)Jimmi wrote Yep, confirmed on their Facebook.
[Image: 944ea68077447e416614d7bfbe05b911.jpg]
Shame there hasnt been a time given for when this event will occur on Saturday, Also guessing this event will be held in MetroCentre Coach Park.
At least i might be able to get along to this one...would like to try and get to the Lime and Red Kite launches if at all possible.