You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Ticket refund query
Would it be possible to get a refund from GNE? I got a Q3 in Newcastle to go to Wallsend, but the driver changeover was messed up by management and I ended up getting off at the Law Courts because I didn't have time (only had time if everything went to plan). Perhaps I was expecting too much on the first day, but it ended up being a waste of money. Just a short ride, and videos in Newcastle.
RE: QuayCity VOLTRA Yutong E12's
(04 Sep 2022, 9:42 am)OrangeArrow49 wrote Would it be possible to get a refund from GNE? I got a Q3 in Newcastle to go to Wallsend, but the driver changeover was messed up by management and I ended up getting off at the Law Courts because I didn't have time (only had time if everything went to plan). Perhaps I was expecting too much on the first day, but it ended up being a waste of money. Just a short ride, and videos in Newcastle.
If you have a photo of your ticket, and then find the journey on bus times with a screenshot of it terminating at Quayside Law Courts. 

Then they might.

Did you purchase the ticket from the driver if so he should’ve knew that it wasn't commencing from Quayside Law Courts you shouldn't have been able to buy a ticket further than that.
(04 Aug 2022, 8:43 pm)Ambassador wrote McKenna brothers look to be having Christmas in Corfu based on the Go Ahead/Best Impressions work!

(04 Sep 2022, 10:03 am)Unber43 wrote If you have a photo of your ticket, and then find the journey on bus times with a screenshot of it terminating at Quayside Law Courts. 

Then they might.

Did you purchase the ticket from the driver if so he should’ve knew that it wasn't commencing from Quayside Law Courts you shouldn't have been able to buy a ticket further than that.

I purchased the ticket on the previous bus, to get into Newcastle, but only to go on the new E12s. Then I got the Q3 from Newgate Street, and it was delayed at the Quayside Law Courts waiting for a driver changeover as management had made a mistake apparently.
(04 Sep 2022, 10:10 am)OrangeArrow49 wrote I purchased the ticket on the previous bus, to get into Newcastle, but only to go on the new E12s. Then I got the Q3 from Newgate Street, and it was delayed at the Quayside Law Courts waiting for a driver changeover as management had made a mistake apparently.

I would say no, you're not eligible for any sort of refund as you've used the ticket as intended.
(04 Sep 2022, 1:11 pm)MurdnunoC wrote I would say no, you're not eligible for any sort of refund as you've used the ticket as intended.
It's worth a try though, shy bairns get nowt as they say!

I know they were dishing out free day tickets as compensation recently, so might be worth it!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
(04 Sep 2022, 1:28 pm)streetdeckfan wrote It's worth a try though, shy bairns get nowt as they say!

I know they were dishing out free day tickets as compensation recently, so might be worth it!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

While I agree with the sentiment of your post, I don't see on what grounds a refund would be issued under those circumstances.

The poster bought a ticket on one bus, used it on another (on the basis that the bus was shiny and new), then was, presumably, forced onto another service for whatever reason. Presumably, they also used the ticket to return to their point of origin too. That's at least three or four times the ticket had been used by that point.

I don't think there's a bus enthusiast whimsy clause built into any appeals process GNE may have, but, as you say, worth a shot but I wouldn't be holding my breath.
(04 Sep 2022, 5:33 pm)MurdnunoC wrote While I agree with the sentiment of your post, I don't see on what grounds a refund would be issued under those circumstances.

The poster bought a ticket on one bus, used it on another (on the basis that the bus was shiny and new), then was, presumably, forced onto another service for whatever reason. Presumably, they also used the ticket to return to their point of origin too. That's at least three or four times the ticket had been used by that point.

I don't think there's a bus enthusiast whimsy clause built into any appeals process GNE may have, but, as you say, worth a shot but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

I purchased a Newcastle and North Tyneside day ticket in order to go to Wallsend on the new Q3. Whilst I did use my ticket on the bus into Newcastle on which I purchased it and used it to return, I bought a ticket which allowed travel across Newcastle and North Tyneside for the Q3 and could have travelled far cheaper in the circumstances. Unfortunately I didn't have time and didn't complete my intended journey. 

Yes, I'm a bus enthusiast, but that's irrelevant. Although I was going on the new E12s because they are new and to do enthusiast things, GNE should provide a service regardless of the reason for travel.
(04 Sep 2022, 5:33 pm)MurdnunoC wrote While I agree with the sentiment of your post, I don't see on what grounds a refund would be issued under those circumstances.

But what if they were just a normal person, trying to get somewhere on the Q3, and because of GNE's incompetence they couldn't get there, or ended up being late? Surely they deserve to be compensated for the inconvenience GNE caused?
(04 Sep 2022, 5:41 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote I purchased a Newcastle and North Tyneside day ticket in order to go to Wallsend on the new Q3. Whilst I did use my ticket on the bus into Newcastle on which I purchased it and used it to return, I bought a ticket which allowed travel across Newcastle and North Tyneside for the Q3 and could have travelled far cheaper in the circumstances. Unfortunately I didn't have time and didn't complete my intended journey. 

Yes, I'm a bus enthusiast, but that's irrelevant. Although I was going on the new E12s because they are new and to do enthusiast things, GNE should provide a service regardless of the reason for travel.

They did provide a service and you did travel on the bus as intended. While you could argue that you could've travelled cheaper, under the circumstances, you did complete at least two journeys (first and last legs) and attempted a third. Personally, I don't see any case for a refund unless, as Streetdeckfan mentions, you can prove that you were late for appointment, and/or you incurred some sort of financial penalty as a result. Simply not having enough time to complete a journey for the purposes of leisure, to me at least, is not a good enough reason for a refund. If it were, then we'd all be at it, claiming away, because we didn't get to do every nook and cranny from Berwick to Scarborough on an Explorer; or didn't get to go on every single in line in Britain on a 7-day All Line Rail Rover.
(04 Sep 2022, 6:55 pm)MurdnunoC wrote They did provide a service and you did travel on the bus as intended. While you could argue that you could've travelled cheaper, under the circumstances, you did complete at least two journeys (first and last legs) and attempted a third. Personally, I don't see any case for a refund unless, as Streetdeckfan mentions, you can prove that you were late for appointment, and/or you incurred some sort of financial penalty as a result. Simply not having enough time to complete a journey for the purposes of leisure, to me at least, is not a good enough reason for a refund. If it were, then we'd all be at it, claiming away, because we didn't get to do every nook and cranny from Berwick to Scarborough on an Explorer; or didn't get to go on every single in line in Britain on a 7-day All Line Rail Rover.

Not sure the All-Line Rover analogy is a good one, as under equivalent circumstances on the railway a Delay Repay payment may well be due, even on Rover tickets.  Unfortunately there's no such provision on the buses, if a bus is delayed your journey is delayed and you're late.  Having said that, explaining the purpose of the journey might get you something; Go North East are fairly enthusiast-friendly even if their ability to actually provide a service has been a bit shaky of late .....
(05 Sep 2022, 6:29 am)Ianthegoon wrote Not sure the All-Line Rover analogy is a good one, as under equivalent circumstances on the railway a Delay Repay payment may well be due, even on Rover tickets.  Unfortunately there's no such provision on the buses, if a bus is delayed your journey is delayed and you're late.  Having said that, explaining the purpose of the journey might get you something; Go North East are fairly enthusiast-friendly even if their ability to actually provide a service has been a bit shaky of late .....

The All-Line Rover analogy was meant to illustrate the futility of attempting to argue that, as an enthusiast, you felt the ticket didn't offer value for money as you weren't able to complete certain aspects of your journey due to time constraints. For example, at the beginning of 2020, I purchased 7-Day Freedom of the North East (or whatever its called) Rover and ventured down to Cleethorpes. Now, I would have liked to have gone to Barton Upon Humber, but upon learning the service was rather infrequent, I decided against waiting for it and went back to Doncaster instead as I had something planned that evening. 

There is equivalence between this example and the one stated by the poster. Both of us had set out to do something for the purposes of leisure but time-constraints had prevented us from completing what we had set out to do. I agree, explaining the purpose of the journey may yield some return, however this requires you to provide the burden of proof if you were financially impacted or inconvenienced in some way. As enthusiast-friendly Go North East might be, I don't think an explanation of 'I wanted to travel to Wallsend but only got to the Law Courts because the bus ran into a problem, and I needed to be back home for a certain time' is sufficient enough for a refund. If it were, it opens the door for all sorts of frivolous claims by enthusiasts for journeys they might have wanted to do, but couldn't, which is what my example was meant to illustrate.
The crocodile put her hand out for the bus a while back and it zoomed straight passed leaving her and several others a 25 minute wait for the next one. Luckeily work were understanding. When she contacted GNE they admitted that the driver had drove passed and this was cause he new to the route. No ap[ology, no offer of " free travel" no nowt.
(05 Sep 2022, 10:48 am)Rob44 wrote The crocodile put her hand out for the bus a while back and it zoomed straight passed leaving her and several others a 25 minute wait for the next one. Luckeily work were understanding. When she contacted GNE they admitted that the driver had drove passed and this was cause he new to the route.  No ap[ology, no offer of " free travel" no nowt.

Did you not think to mention that she was an enthusiast? The sense of entitlement alone would have been worthy of some sort of offer!
(05 Sep 2022, 3:02 pm)MurdnunoC wrote Did you not think to mention that she was an enthusiast? The sense of entitlement alone would have been worthy of some sort of offer!
Nope but i'll keep that in mind for next time!
(05 Sep 2022, 10:48 am)Rob44 wrote The crocodile put her hand out for the bus a while back and it zoomed straight passed leaving her and several others a 25 minute wait for the next one. Luckeily work were understanding. When she contacted GNE they admitted that the driver had drove passed and this was cause he new to the route.  No ap[ology, no offer of " free travel" no nowt.
Last week a 9 pulled up at the Wheatsheaf bus stop, dropped some people off and left all the people waiting to get on!
(05 Sep 2022, 3:57 pm)F114TML wrote Last week a 9 pulled up at the Wheatsheaf bus stop, dropped some people off and left all the people waiting to get on!

Least he stopped.  Just to add this was the stop going out of kibblesworth opposite the plough/soho bar.  For those of you who dont know the are the 28a as it was then comes into the village and passes the bus stop whilst heading to the centre then comes back on its self - so how he/she didnt " see" the bus stop is beyond me!