Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Politics (and other political stuff)

Politics (and other political stuff)

Politics (and other political stuff)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (67): Previous 159 60 6167 Next
Andreos1

25 Jun 2019, 10:12 pm #1,181

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politic...s-of-buses

Mind blown!

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
25 Jun 2019, 10:12 pm #1,181

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politic...s-of-buses

Mind blown!

Andreos1

16 Aug 2019, 4:45 pm #1,182

https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/11...10688?s=09

A brilliant 10mins of life in Sunderland in 1979.

A state of hopelessness - 2 more orders lined up at the yards and little chance of employment for the guys they followed round.

Some vintage shots of Sunderland and a bus or two, too!

Andreos1
16 Aug 2019, 4:45 pm #1,182

https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/11...10688?s=09

A brilliant 10mins of life in Sunderland in 1979.

A state of hopelessness - 2 more orders lined up at the yards and little chance of employment for the guys they followed round.

Some vintage shots of Sunderland and a bus or two, too!

28 Mar 2020, 12:46 pm #1,183
The result of the Labour leadership vote is due next Saturday. It is easy to forget that such a vote is even happening.

I wonder whether Keir (or Rebecca or Lisa) will even want to make many Shadow Cabinet changes at this stage. Maybe merely appoint successors to John McDonnell, Diane Abbott and whoever else stands down but make few if any other changes.
MetrolineGA1511
28 Mar 2020, 12:46 pm #1,183

The result of the Labour leadership vote is due next Saturday. It is easy to forget that such a vote is even happening.

I wonder whether Keir (or Rebecca or Lisa) will even want to make many Shadow Cabinet changes at this stage. Maybe merely appoint successors to John McDonnell, Diane Abbott and whoever else stands down but make few if any other changes.

31 Mar 2020, 11:37 pm #1,184
(28 Mar 2020, 12:46 pm)Metroline1511 The result of the Labour leadership vote is due next Saturday.  It is easy to forget that such a vote is even happening.

I wonder whether Keir (or Rebecca or Lisa) will even want to make many Shadow Cabinet changes at this stage.  Maybe merely appoint successors to John McDonnell, Diane Abbott and whoever else stands down but make few if any other changes.

I think some shuffling is inevitable. I do hope Keir gets it, he is probably the most moderate of the lot, though I do feel he will be a caretaker leader as I don't think Labour will win the next general election after our jolly to the hard left put so many people off. i went to the leadership hustings in Durham and I was infuriated by Long-Baily endlessly harping on that the polices announced at the last GE were still right.

My main worry though is Momentum, they have been infiltrated by the right (including my ex) with the sole purpose of causing as much harm to the party as possible and ensure they remain unelectable. Without that going on, Momentum is already pure poison.
solsburian
31 Mar 2020, 11:37 pm #1,184

(28 Mar 2020, 12:46 pm)Metroline1511 The result of the Labour leadership vote is due next Saturday.  It is easy to forget that such a vote is even happening.

I wonder whether Keir (or Rebecca or Lisa) will even want to make many Shadow Cabinet changes at this stage.  Maybe merely appoint successors to John McDonnell, Diane Abbott and whoever else stands down but make few if any other changes.

I think some shuffling is inevitable. I do hope Keir gets it, he is probably the most moderate of the lot, though I do feel he will be a caretaker leader as I don't think Labour will win the next general election after our jolly to the hard left put so many people off. i went to the leadership hustings in Durham and I was infuriated by Long-Baily endlessly harping on that the polices announced at the last GE were still right.

My main worry though is Momentum, they have been infiltrated by the right (including my ex) with the sole purpose of causing as much harm to the party as possible and ensure they remain unelectable. Without that going on, Momentum is already pure poison.

11 Apr 2020, 6:04 pm #1,185
(31 Mar 2020, 11:37 pm)solsburian I think some shuffling is inevitable. I do hope Keir gets it, he is probably the most moderate of the lot, though I do feel he will be a caretaker leader as I don't think Labour will win the next general election after our jolly to the hard left put so many people off. i went to the leadership hustings in Durham and I was infuriated by Long-Baily endlessly harping on that the polices announced at the last GE were still right.

The full line-up of shadow ministers, including those at a junior level, is listed here

https://labour.org.uk/people/shadow-cabinet/
MetrolineGA1511
11 Apr 2020, 6:04 pm #1,185

(31 Mar 2020, 11:37 pm)solsburian I think some shuffling is inevitable. I do hope Keir gets it, he is probably the most moderate of the lot, though I do feel he will be a caretaker leader as I don't think Labour will win the next general election after our jolly to the hard left put so many people off. i went to the leadership hustings in Durham and I was infuriated by Long-Baily endlessly harping on that the polices announced at the last GE were still right.

The full line-up of shadow ministers, including those at a junior level, is listed here

15 Apr 2020, 5:40 pm #1,186
(11 Apr 2020, 6:04 pm)Metroline1511 The full line-up of shadow ministers, including those at a junior level, is listed here

Glad he won! Some of my faith in the party has been restored.
solsburian
15 Apr 2020, 5:40 pm #1,186

(11 Apr 2020, 6:04 pm)Metroline1511 The full line-up of shadow ministers, including those at a junior level, is listed here

Glad he won! Some of my faith in the party has been restored.

16 Apr 2020, 11:57 am #1,187
(15 Apr 2020, 5:40 pm)solsburian Glad he won! Some of my faith in the party has been restored.

As you can probably tell by some of my other posts, I'm not a particular supporter of the Labour Party, but hopefully in the next election there might be a bit more competition!
streetdeckfan
16 Apr 2020, 11:57 am #1,187

(15 Apr 2020, 5:40 pm)solsburian Glad he won! Some of my faith in the party has been restored.

As you can probably tell by some of my other posts, I'm not a particular supporter of the Labour Party, but hopefully in the next election there might be a bit more competition!

30 Apr 2020, 2:40 pm #1,188
(16 Apr 2020, 11:57 am)streetdeckfan As you can probably tell by some of my other posts, I'm not a particular supporter of the Labour Party, but hopefully in the next election there might be a bit more competition!

When Corbyn got the leadership I was going out with a member of Conservatives. While mine and their different political viewpoints was the source of friendly banter, they did make a good point; a good government needs effective opposition to keep it in check, and we wouldn't get that with Corbyn. They were absolutely right of course.

It is unlikely we will win the next general election, and I'm doubting we will regain many seats, though hopefully it will be a start of getting Labour back on track to being an effective opposition and a more palatable party to the general public.
solsburian
30 Apr 2020, 2:40 pm #1,188

(16 Apr 2020, 11:57 am)streetdeckfan As you can probably tell by some of my other posts, I'm not a particular supporter of the Labour Party, but hopefully in the next election there might be a bit more competition!

When Corbyn got the leadership I was going out with a member of Conservatives. While mine and their different political viewpoints was the source of friendly banter, they did make a good point; a good government needs effective opposition to keep it in check, and we wouldn't get that with Corbyn. They were absolutely right of course.

It is unlikely we will win the next general election, and I'm doubting we will regain many seats, though hopefully it will be a start of getting Labour back on track to being an effective opposition and a more palatable party to the general public.

30 Apr 2020, 3:32 pm #1,189
(30 Apr 2020, 2:40 pm)solsburian When Corbyn got the leadership I was going out with a member of Conservatives. While mine and their different political viewpoints was the source of friendly banter, they did make a good point; a good government needs effective opposition to keep it in check, and we wouldn't get that with Corbyn. They were absolutely right of course.

There are a couple key reasons (IMO) that the Conservatives won with such a majority in the last election, the number one for me was personality. Say what you want about the policies, there's no denying that people just like Boris, whether they're a Tory or not, and people just didn't like Corbyn.
I think the problem was Corbyn went all in on the student vote and 'forgot' about the core Labour voter, and for the first time in a while Conservatives had a likeable leader. To me, it was less about the politics, and more about having somebody they could tolerate in Number 10.

The other reason was obviously Brexit. Everybody already knew that Boris was a 'leaver' so the Conservatives quite easily marketed themselves as the Leave party.
I feel fairly confident in saying that Corbyn, at heart, was also a 'leaver', but the audience he'd been campaigning to, as well as a large number of Labour MPs, were very much 'remainers', so he was stuck between a rock and a hard place. The only thing he could really do was be neutral, and that never ends well.
What ended up happening was the hard Leave voters went Conservative, the hard Remain voters went with Lib Dems, and for those who were frankly sick of it being dragged on there was one simple choice, vote for the one that would 'Get Brexit Done' (one of the best bits of political marketing I've seen in a long time).
By sitting on the fence, Corbyn lost those on both sides of the argument, and was left with the students, and those who would vote Labour even if they were the next Nazi party 

I think with Corbyn gone, people will feel less 'embarrassed' about voting Labour, I saw a hell of a lot less Labour signs in people's window this election than previously!

Obviously we haven't seen much of Starmer yet, but from what I've seen so far he seems to be acting more like a politician and less like an activist!
streetdeckfan
30 Apr 2020, 3:32 pm #1,189

(30 Apr 2020, 2:40 pm)solsburian When Corbyn got the leadership I was going out with a member of Conservatives. While mine and their different political viewpoints was the source of friendly banter, they did make a good point; a good government needs effective opposition to keep it in check, and we wouldn't get that with Corbyn. They were absolutely right of course.

There are a couple key reasons (IMO) that the Conservatives won with such a majority in the last election, the number one for me was personality. Say what you want about the policies, there's no denying that people just like Boris, whether they're a Tory or not, and people just didn't like Corbyn.
I think the problem was Corbyn went all in on the student vote and 'forgot' about the core Labour voter, and for the first time in a while Conservatives had a likeable leader. To me, it was less about the politics, and more about having somebody they could tolerate in Number 10.

The other reason was obviously Brexit. Everybody already knew that Boris was a 'leaver' so the Conservatives quite easily marketed themselves as the Leave party.
I feel fairly confident in saying that Corbyn, at heart, was also a 'leaver', but the audience he'd been campaigning to, as well as a large number of Labour MPs, were very much 'remainers', so he was stuck between a rock and a hard place. The only thing he could really do was be neutral, and that never ends well.
What ended up happening was the hard Leave voters went Conservative, the hard Remain voters went with Lib Dems, and for those who were frankly sick of it being dragged on there was one simple choice, vote for the one that would 'Get Brexit Done' (one of the best bits of political marketing I've seen in a long time).
By sitting on the fence, Corbyn lost those on both sides of the argument, and was left with the students, and those who would vote Labour even if they were the next Nazi party 

I think with Corbyn gone, people will feel less 'embarrassed' about voting Labour, I saw a hell of a lot less Labour signs in people's window this election than previously!

Obviously we haven't seen much of Starmer yet, but from what I've seen so far he seems to be acting more like a politician and less like an activist!

Adrian

30 Apr 2020, 7:04 pm #1,190
It wasn't because they liked Boris - it was an election won and lost on Brexit, with unfortunately many of what we'd consider 'core' Labour voters, feeling let down and disenfranchised with the Party's position on Brexit. It was an awful position; cobbled together to try and suit as many different groupings as possible, rather than having a simple (and democratic) policy. The leader not firmly committing one way or the other wasn't helpful either.

It is nonsense that Corbyn went 'all in' on the student vote. That couldn't be further from the truth. There was more in the manifesto for working people and workers rights, which IMO, were some of the best policies we had. A problem was that the policy messages were too complex and too long term, rather than focusing on a couple of key measures in each policy grouping. Whether we like it or not, Boris won with one simple message - "Get Brexit done" - you couldn't get away from that.

It may be that you saw less Labour signs than previously, but having seen the data, it would be factually incorrect to suggest there was in County Durham.

I don't think the majority were 'embarrassed' to vote Labour because of the leader and this can be seen from the number of votes cast, but the reasons above apply as to why this didn't turn into success. I also don't think we'll see much of a shift under Keir Starmer, even once he turns up to work (where is he?)

Oh and its funny that the "magic money tree" has been found as of late. Smile

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
30 Apr 2020, 7:04 pm #1,190

It wasn't because they liked Boris - it was an election won and lost on Brexit, with unfortunately many of what we'd consider 'core' Labour voters, feeling let down and disenfranchised with the Party's position on Brexit. It was an awful position; cobbled together to try and suit as many different groupings as possible, rather than having a simple (and democratic) policy. The leader not firmly committing one way or the other wasn't helpful either.

It is nonsense that Corbyn went 'all in' on the student vote. That couldn't be further from the truth. There was more in the manifesto for working people and workers rights, which IMO, were some of the best policies we had. A problem was that the policy messages were too complex and too long term, rather than focusing on a couple of key measures in each policy grouping. Whether we like it or not, Boris won with one simple message - "Get Brexit done" - you couldn't get away from that.

It may be that you saw less Labour signs than previously, but having seen the data, it would be factually incorrect to suggest there was in County Durham.

I don't think the majority were 'embarrassed' to vote Labour because of the leader and this can be seen from the number of votes cast, but the reasons above apply as to why this didn't turn into success. I also don't think we'll see much of a shift under Keir Starmer, even once he turns up to work (where is he?)

cbma06

30 Apr 2020, 7:23 pm #1,191
If it wasn’t for the brexit party at the election, labour would of lost more seats and areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
30 Apr 2020, 7:23 pm #1,191

If it wasn’t for the brexit party at the election, labour would of lost more seats and areas.

Adrian

30 Apr 2020, 7:26 pm #1,192
(30 Apr 2020, 7:23 pm)cbma06 If it wasn’t  for the brexit party at the election, labour would of lost more seats and areas.

Agreed, but the same could be said about the strategic placement of Brexit candidates. Going back on the original decision to stand in all constituencies.

Adrian
30 Apr 2020, 7:26 pm #1,192

(30 Apr 2020, 7:23 pm)cbma06 If it wasn’t  for the brexit party at the election, labour would of lost more seats and areas.

Agreed, but the same could be said about the strategic placement of Brexit candidates. Going back on the original decision to stand in all constituencies.

30 Apr 2020, 9:42 pm #1,193
(30 Apr 2020, 7:04 pm)Adrian It wasn't because they liked Boris - it was an election won and lost on Brexit, with unfortunately many of what we'd consider 'core' Labour voters, feeling let down and disenfranchised with the Party's position on Brexit. It was an awful position; cobbled together to try and suit as many different groupings as possible, rather than having a simple (and democratic) policy. The leader not firmly committing one way or the other wasn't helpful either.

There's no doubt Brexit definitely played it's part, but I think the reason why they won by such a huge majority is down to Corbyn. People just didn't trust him to run a country.

For me, the issue with Labour's manifesto was that it just seemed like there were too many promises. It didn't matter if it was affordable, it /looked/ far fetched. Like you say, if they had focused on a couple key measures it would have been a lot more palatable.
streetdeckfan
30 Apr 2020, 9:42 pm #1,193

(30 Apr 2020, 7:04 pm)Adrian It wasn't because they liked Boris - it was an election won and lost on Brexit, with unfortunately many of what we'd consider 'core' Labour voters, feeling let down and disenfranchised with the Party's position on Brexit. It was an awful position; cobbled together to try and suit as many different groupings as possible, rather than having a simple (and democratic) policy. The leader not firmly committing one way or the other wasn't helpful either.

There's no doubt Brexit definitely played it's part, but I think the reason why they won by such a huge majority is down to Corbyn. People just didn't trust him to run a country.

For me, the issue with Labour's manifesto was that it just seemed like there were too many promises. It didn't matter if it was affordable, it /looked/ far fetched. Like you say, if they had focused on a couple key measures it would have been a lot more palatable.

Adrian

30 Apr 2020, 10:26 pm #1,194
(30 Apr 2020, 9:42 pm)streetdeckfan For me, the issue with Labour's manifesto was that it just seemed like there were too many promises. It didn't matter if it was affordable, it /looked/ far fetched. Like you say, if they had focused on a couple key measures it would have been a lot more palatable.

I can only speak from my County, but although Corbyn was one of the top 5 negatives brought up during canvassing, more than double that quoted Brexit/our Brexit stance.

The leadership issue is complicated, and as we now know, was setup to fail. See: https://labourlist.org/2020/04/internal-...by-labour/

Adrian
30 Apr 2020, 10:26 pm #1,194

(30 Apr 2020, 9:42 pm)streetdeckfan For me, the issue with Labour's manifesto was that it just seemed like there were too many promises. It didn't matter if it was affordable, it /looked/ far fetched. Like you say, if they had focused on a couple key measures it would have been a lot more palatable.

I can only speak from my County, but although Corbyn was one of the top 5 negatives brought up during canvassing, more than double that quoted Brexit/our Brexit stance.

The leadership issue is complicated, and as we now know, was setup to fail. See: https://labourlist.org/2020/04/internal-...by-labour/

30 Apr 2020, 10:48 pm #1,195
(30 Apr 2020, 10:26 pm)Adrian I can only speak from my County, but although Corbyn was one of the top 5 negatives brought up during canvassing, more than double that quoted Brexit/our Brexit stance.

I suppose, either way you look at it there was no conceivable way that Labour could have won the last election. Having said that, I stayed up to watch the results come in and I was genuinely surprised by the amount of seats that the Conservatives took.

I was expecting them to take Bishop Auckland as it was already fairly close, but the likes of NW Durham and Blyth Valley I never would have thought.

Having lived in a Labour area all my life, it always felt pointless voting as it was pretty much guarantee that Labour would win, but the last election has shown that they can't take anything for granted anymore. All that remains to be seen is whether those areas that have turned blue for the first time stay that way, or whether people will go back to Labour now that Brexit has been done
streetdeckfan
30 Apr 2020, 10:48 pm #1,195

(30 Apr 2020, 10:26 pm)Adrian I can only speak from my County, but although Corbyn was one of the top 5 negatives brought up during canvassing, more than double that quoted Brexit/our Brexit stance.

I suppose, either way you look at it there was no conceivable way that Labour could have won the last election. Having said that, I stayed up to watch the results come in and I was genuinely surprised by the amount of seats that the Conservatives took.

I was expecting them to take Bishop Auckland as it was already fairly close, but the likes of NW Durham and Blyth Valley I never would have thought.

Having lived in a Labour area all my life, it always felt pointless voting as it was pretty much guarantee that Labour would win, but the last election has shown that they can't take anything for granted anymore. All that remains to be seen is whether those areas that have turned blue for the first time stay that way, or whether people will go back to Labour now that Brexit has been done

23 May 2020, 8:31 am #1,196
The Liberal Democrats had been due to announce their new leader in July, but then postponed the leadership contest to next year. They have now reconsidered and decided to hold the contest this summer after all. The result is due shortly after August 26th.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52736616

According to the LibDems' website, the idea is to have the new leader in place before the (virtual) party conference in September.

Most likely to stand are Ed Davey, Layla Moran, Wera Hobhouse and potentially Daisy Cooper.
MetrolineGA1511
23 May 2020, 8:31 am #1,196

The Liberal Democrats had been due to announce their new leader in July, but then postponed the leadership contest to next year. They have now reconsidered and decided to hold the contest this summer after all. The result is due shortly after August 26th.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52736616

According to the LibDems' website, the idea is to have the new leader in place before the (virtual) party conference in September.

Most likely to stand are Ed Davey, Layla Moran, Wera Hobhouse and potentially Daisy Cooper.

Michael

28 May 2020, 2:56 pm #1,197
Good news today for the North East and Nissan:

Nissan's UK factory in Sunderland will stay open as the Japanese carmaker carries out a global restructuring amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The carmaker also announced it will close its factory in Barcelona with the loss of about 2,800 jobs, prompting protests at the Spanish plant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52829348

FUNNY, because i thought they were closing because of Brexit according the Labour Mp's??????????????

What's also funny, is that not one of the Labour MP's in the NE has said anything about it staying open

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
28 May 2020, 2:56 pm #1,197

Good news today for the North East and Nissan:

Nissan's UK factory in Sunderland will stay open as the Japanese carmaker carries out a global restructuring amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The carmaker also announced it will close its factory in Barcelona with the loss of about 2,800 jobs, prompting protests at the Spanish plant.

FUNNY, because i thought they were closing because of Brexit according the Labour Mp's??????????????

What's also funny, is that not one of the Labour MP's in the NE has said anything about it staying open

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

28 May 2020, 5:03 pm #1,198
(28 May 2020, 2:56 pm)Michael Good news today for the North East and Nissan:

There was absolutely no way they'd have closed the factory, I think most people saw right through it all, especially considering the amount of leave voters in the area.
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw quite a bit more investment in the plant once we're done with leaving the EU.

I do hope Boris keeps to his word and doesn't extend the transition period like the EU want, the fact that they are so adamant to extend it gives the impression they're desperate
streetdeckfan
28 May 2020, 5:03 pm #1,198

(28 May 2020, 2:56 pm)Michael Good news today for the North East and Nissan:

There was absolutely no way they'd have closed the factory, I think most people saw right through it all, especially considering the amount of leave voters in the area.
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw quite a bit more investment in the plant once we're done with leaving the EU.

I do hope Boris keeps to his word and doesn't extend the transition period like the EU want, the fact that they are so adamant to extend it gives the impression they're desperate

Adrian

31 May 2020, 4:26 pm #1,199
You'll recall that it was Nissan itself that threatened to leave if/when left the EU, if it was in the terms of a *hard (no deal) Brexit*

We haven't even left yet, but the terminology is really important here. This is what Nissan said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin...03721.html

https://inews.co.uk/news/business/nissan...and-506775

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50000530

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Adrian
31 May 2020, 4:26 pm #1,199

You'll recall that it was Nissan itself that threatened to leave if/when left the EU, if it was in the terms of a *hard (no deal) Brexit*

We haven't even left yet, but the terminology is really important here. This is what Nissan said:

Michael

31 May 2020, 4:49 pm #1,200
(31 May 2020, 4:26 pm)Adrian You'll recall that it was Nissan itself that threatened to leave if/when left the EU, if it was in the terms of a *hard (no deal) Brexit*

Yet they've confirmed the Sunderland plant will stay open....... job losses may still occur as Nissan are still reducing production, as its in the red for the first time in years.

Don't think they'll leave the UK now, with them shutting the Barcelona plant and the Sunderland plant becoming the main EU producer for cars.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
31 May 2020, 4:49 pm #1,200

(31 May 2020, 4:26 pm)Adrian You'll recall that it was Nissan itself that threatened to leave if/when left the EU, if it was in the terms of a *hard (no deal) Brexit*

Yet they've confirmed the Sunderland plant will stay open....... job losses may still occur as Nissan are still reducing production, as its in the red for the first time in years.

Don't think they'll leave the UK now, with them shutting the Barcelona plant and the Sunderland plant becoming the main EU producer for cars.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Pages (67): Previous 159 60 6167 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average