North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45
(17 Aug 2014, 3:52 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]No good when it comes to numbering roads - is the A1231 next to The Wavendon in Sunderland? Chester Road? Description suits, and I've been on buses that have been stuck on that road in the traffic for 20 minutes before.

I'm sure I've said before that I've walked it quicker than the bus has done it. Inevitable delays, and thankfully GNE run extra 8s around that time which means that there doesn't tend to be anyone to pick up from Waterview Park to The Galleries, and the driver of the 8s at least can make up time a little. There's nothing in place for the 78s, but even despite service changes to service 16 in Sunderland, Stagecoach has to regulate their buses pretty much every day and there's not much GNE can do. Some days you can get down in 5 mins, other days it's 20 mins...

That road really needs to be worked on, as it's no good for car users (I certainly wouldn't want to drive there after 4pm) or bus users (who experience delays of 20 mins or more because of it).

That is a bad stretch - not only because of the amount of traffic.
In the winter it is bad due to the low lying sun that smacks you right in the eyes as you drop down the hill heading west.

(17 Aug 2014, 7:59 am)nk55 wrote [ -> ]Widening is taking place beside the new vantec warehouse, queues can be back to nissan/waterview pk junction at peaks. Hopefully the issues at cls should be lessoned after today with the re-opening of the road between northlands roundabout and the A1M roundabout.

What do drivers think of the new roundabout at Pelton/Perkinsville?
I tend to avoid using it these days, so unsure how it is affecting the 34's or 28's.
(17 Aug 2014, 8:04 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]That is a bad stretch - not only because of the amount of traffic.
In the winter it is bad due to the low lying sun that smacks you right in the eyes as you drop down the hill heading west.

And from a photographer's point of view, it's hideous too... The amount of glare is just ridiculous, and makes photographing buses there almost impossible.
(17 Aug 2014, 8:04 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]That is a bad stretch - not only because of the amount of traffic.

What do drivers think of the new roundabout at Pelton/Perkinsville?
I tend to avoid using it these days, so unsure how it is affecting the 34's or 28's.

It hasn't helped at all, traffic comes quicker from chester direction, also the dip coming from pelton means probable grounding for the versas if you try and cross quickly, coming from perkinsville isn't bad because there's no traffic going round the roundabout to beat the queues, traffic lights would've helped. The new northlands roundabout will help greatly " when " its completed.
(17 Aug 2014, 8:24 am)nk55 wrote [ -> ]It hasn't helped at all, traffic comes quicker from chester direction, also the dip coming from pelton means probable grounding for the versas if you try and cross quickly, coming from perkinsville isn't bad because there's no traffic going round the roundabout to beat the queues, traffic lights would've helped. The new northlands roundabout will help greatly " when " its completed.

I'm assuming the northlands roundabout is the one that the 21 and X25 uses. Traffic lights would probably work and make it a hell of a lot easier, especially in those peak times.
(17 Aug 2014, 8:04 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]What do drivers think of the new roundabout at Pelton/Perkinsville?

I think DCC went in with some sort of plan then managed to somehow over-complicate an improvement which should have been simple.

The junction probably needed to be simplified into a straight-forward roundabout in my view, but what they've managed to achieve is quite strange.
(17 Aug 2014, 8:24 am)nk55 wrote [ -> ]It hasn't helped at all, traffic comes quicker from chester direction, also the dip coming from pelton means probable grounding for the versas if you try and cross quickly, coming from perkinsville isn't bad because there's no traffic going round the roundabout to beat the queues, traffic lights would've helped. The new northlands roundabout will help greatly " when " its completed.

(17 Aug 2014, 8:32 am)AdamY wrote [ -> ]I think DCC went in with some sort of plan then managed to somehow over-complicate an improvement which should have been simple.

The junction probably needed to be simplified into a straight-forward roundabout in my view, but what they've managed to achieve is quite strange.

It is a strange one, especially when you cut across from Pelton.
Not only are you looking at the traffic coming from your right, but you have to check that the traffic from Stanley/West Pelton is actually going to give way.

An accident waiting to happen I feel.

(17 Aug 2014, 8:31 am)Robert wrote [ -> ]I'm assuming the northlands roundabout is the one that the 21 and X25 uses. Traffic lights would probably work and make it a hell of a lot easier, especially in those peak times.

Aye, that's the one.
Heard rumours of traffic lights - whether it happens or not...

DCC are the total opposite to Gateshead Council.
Whereas I wish I bought shares in traffic light companies used by Gateshead Council - I just wish I had bought a few in roundabout construction companies used by DCC Wink
(17 Aug 2014, 8:40 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]Aye, that's the one.
Heard rumours of traffic lights - whether it happens or not...

DCC are the total opposite to Gateshead Council.
Whereas I wish I bought shares in traffic light companies used by Gateshead Council - I just wish I had bought a few in roundabout construction companies used by DCC Wink

Think they have started work on the traffic lights now. Certainly coming from the Perkinsville Roundabout they have the start of the lights in place. That was a few weeks ago now so the chances are they have progressed further.
I believe there was once a plan to create a new link road from the Drum Industrial Estate roundabout towards the Pelton to Pelaw road. If built, that may have slightly eased congestion around Pelton.
(17 Aug 2014, 8:52 am)AdamY wrote [ -> ]I believe there was once a plan to create a new link road from the Drum Industrial Estate roundabout towards the Pelton to Pelaw road. If built, that may have slightly eased congestion around Pelton.

Across the site of the car boot sale farm?

Never heard that one to be honest.
I know the roundabout has the spur on, but just guessed it was to improve access to the site - rather than as a link road.

The old road across the farm is still used on Sundays, but closed for the rest of the week.
(17 Aug 2014, 9:09 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]Across the site of the car boot sale farm?

Never heard that one to be honest.
I know the roundabout has the spur on, but just guessed it was to improve access to the site - rather than as a link road.

The old road across the farm is still used on Sundays, but closed for the rest of the week.

Yup, that's the one.

Rumour has it (or local gossip - just something I heard from a local) that a new housing estate was intended to built there as well. Instead, developers opted for the Roseberry Park site. I guess there were problems in obtaining a CPO.
(17 Aug 2014, 9:19 am)AdamY wrote [ -> ]Yup, that's the one.

Rumour has it (or local gossip - just something I heard from a local) that a new housing estate was intended to built there as well. Instead, developers opted for the Roseberry Park site. I guess there were problems in obtaining a CPO.

Guessing the land must have been cheaper up at Roseberry too. Scope to extend once the school is demolished too.

Wonder if the airstrip being in Pelton would have had an impact on the houses being built on the farm/car boot sale site?

Just to stay on topic - with all these new houses being built, will we see an increase in services Wink
(17 Aug 2014, 9:25 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]Guessing the land must have been cheaper up at Roseberry too. Scope to extend once the school is demolished too.

Wonder if the airstrip being in Pelton would have had an impact on the houses being built on the farm/car boot sale site?

Just to stay on topic - with all these new houses being built, will we see an increase in services Wink

Even though Roseberry Park looks like it might end up having around 150-200 houses overall I think it's unlikely that GNE will be diverting services through Newfield anytime soon. However, there is scope for a slight diversion via Newfield and Station Lane into Pelton for service 78. This diversion would also lift the restriction on single-deckers being used for the route.

I think bus companies are reluctant to serve new housing estates in general. Lack of custom and potential backlash from residents wishing to have their streets 'safe' and free from through traffic are probably the most influencing factors.

Never knew about the airstrip in Pelton.
(17 Aug 2014, 9:38 am)AdamY wrote [ -> ]Even though Roseberry Park looks like it might end up having around 150-200 houses overall I think it's unlikely that GNE will be diverting services through Newfield anytime soon. However, there is scope for a slight diversion via Newfield and Station Lane into Pelton for service 78. This diversion would also lift the restriction on single-deckers being used for the route.

I think bus companies are reluctant to serve new housing estates in general. Lack of custom and potential backlash from residents wishing to have their streets 'safe' and free from through traffic are probably most deciding factors.

Never knew about the airstrip in Pelton.

Not sure buses would enter the estates, but scope for the main roads in the area - particularly in an estate designed for families.

Aye, the airstrip is on the farm immediately behind the new school in Pelton running in a nw/se direction in the field between the 'new' road and the old road.
So when landing/taking off, aircraft come in low over the car boot sale site.
(17 Aug 2014, 9:47 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]Not sure buses would enter the estates, but scope for the main roads in the area - particularly in an estate designed for families.

Aye, the airstrip is on the farm immediately behind the new school in Pelton running in a nw/se direction in the field between the 'new' road and the old road.
So when landing/taking off, aircraft come in low over the car boot sale site.

Even 'main roads' cause concern for some residents.

Using 'The Bronx' (Bleach Green, Blaydon) as an example, buses used to run through the estate via Springfield Road and Beech Terrace at the top; or via Larch Road, Birch Road, Sycamore Road, Pine Road, Cypress Road and Beech Terrace if cutting through. When it was being redeveloped as 'High View' (an ironic and appropriate name if one remembers the area), the estate was closed and buses diverted with the exception of the 49A/B/C (don't remember the lettered variation) route via Hazel Road. As the development was nearing completion, it was expected that services would resume routes through the estate. However, some residents objected and, as a result, residents living in the estate are forced to either walk to either Shibdon or Blaydon Bank to catch their bus.

There was someone kicking-off on GNE's Facebook Page (approx 2010) about buses resuming their routes through the estate. I'll try and find it sometime.
(17 Aug 2014, 9:58 am)AdamY wrote [ -> ]Even 'main roads' cause concern for some residents.

Using 'The Bronx' (Bleach Green, Blaydon) as an example, buses used to run through the estate via Springfield Road and Beech Terrace at the top; or via Larch Road, Birch Road, Sycamore Road, Pine Road, Cypress Road and Beech Terrace if cutting through. When it was being redeveloped as 'High View' (an ironic and appropriate name if one remembers the area), the estate was closed and buses diverted with the exception of the 49A/B/C (don't remember the lettered variation) route via Hazel Road. As the development was nearing completion, it was expected that services would resume routes through the estate. However, some residents objected and, as a result, residents living in the estate are forced to either walk to either Shibdon or Blaydon Bank to catch their bus.

There was someone kicking-off on GNE's Facebook Page (approx 2010) about buses resuming their routes through the estate. I'll try and find it sometime.

'The Bronx' in Birtley have had their buses removed too.
Just the 23 these days.

That estate sounds very much like Barley Mow or Springwell Estates, with services running through it.

With the one discussed in Newfield, the houses are being constructed away from the main roads - with access being limited and (as far as I am aware), not being 'through roads'.

As you suggested with the 78, it could be diverted or a variation made between the 28/28a.
Anyone looking for 9120 today?
It departed from Chester le Street at 1200 for Sunderland.
4989 looked in desperate need of a lift back home a short while back in East Rainton.

#brokendownpurplesolars
#hashtagsonNEB
(17 Aug 2014, 10:21 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]'The Bronx' in Birtley have had their buses removed too.
Just the 23 these days.

To be fair to Birtley, the Bronx was demolished a long time ago and the services that used to run simply don't exist. And its unlikely there's a demand for a service through Elisabethville when its no more than a 5 minute walk to Angel territory. And we've all seen that the 23 can easily carry thin air all day (especially the Birtley local short runs which I think Nexus are wasting our money on)

Saying that, the few thousand new homes planned on the old BAE site may add demand but these sorts of modern new builds tend to attract the car crowd.
(15 Aug 2014, 7:12 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]As an update on recent repaints; Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3878 (W188 SCU) is currently at Saltmeadows, undergoing repaint into corporate livery.

Scania L94UB/Wright Solar 4972 should move over to Saltmeadows this weekend for its freshen up repaint.

Scania L94 4972 is now at Saltmeadows for repaint. As such, Volvo B10BLE 4923 remains on loan to Deptford.
Scania L94s 4968 and 4970-72 should re-gain "Laser" branding imminently, as soon as 4972 comes out of the paint shop and the vinyls arrive.

Go North East fleet list updated to show 4972 as 'Gold'.
There have been no changes to the fleet this week.

The fleet allocation also has @ on now, which means the bus has WIFI
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45