North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45
(11 Aug 2014, 9:04 pm)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]A proposal a few years ago (prior to Peter Huntley's departure and death) was that Chester-Le-Street and Stanley were to merge into a site in the Birtley area with Washington being split into two with half the operation moving to Birtley and the rest to Deptford. Percy Main was planned to move to a newer site within the Tyne Tunnel Industrial Estate but I think these will all be on the back burner for now.

Would imagine there would be a lot of Dead Mileage depending on what Operations went where, if that was to of happened.
I heard a rumour years ago that GNE were going to replace Percy Main with a depot on the Tyne Tunnel Trading Estate. I think Cobalt wouldn't be too bad of a location. The changeovers (don't know about the locals) could happen like this:

- 309 / 310 = P&G or during the evenings for the 310 only, North East Tyre Garage stop.

- 17 = Benton ASDA via the van

- 40 / 41 / 80 = Hadrian Park via the van

- 19 = Cobalt P&G

- Coaster = If depot was in Cobalt, position to Whitley Bay as a passenger on the 309 or take the van depending upon the time of day or traffic.
(11 Aug 2014, 9:09 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]I heard a rumour years ago that GNE were going to replace Percy Main with a depot on the Tyne Tunnel Trading Estate. I think Cobalt wouldn't be too bad of a location. The changeovers (don't know about the locals) could happen like this:

- 309 / 310 = P&G or during the evenings for the 310 only, North East Tyre Garage stop.

- 17 = Benton ASDA via the van

- 40 / 41 / 80 = Hadrian Park via the van

- 19 = Cobalt P&G

- Coaster = If depot was in Cobalt, position to Whitley Bay as a passenger on the 309 or take the van depending upon the time of day or traffic.

Or they could just remain the same with the changeovers being at North Shields where the office is?
I wish go north east would make a decision what's happening with the plain purple buses that operate on 39. Might aswell have painted them silver and kept the Doxford clipper brand. I noticed today the rear of bus 8307 the purple paint is actually coming off to reveal old drifter colours. Shocking!!
(11 Aug 2014, 9:04 pm)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]A proposal a few years ago (prior to Peter Huntley's departure and death) was that Chester-Le-Street and Stanley were to merge into a site in the Birtley area with Washington being split into two with half the operation moving to Birtley and the rest to Deptford. Percy Main was planned to move to a newer site within the Tyne Tunnel Industrial Estate but I think these will all be on the back burner for now.

I remember hearing a plan along those lines a few years ago, wasn't there a site up near Batleys suggested for a new depot
(11 Aug 2014, 9:25 pm)Acky81 wrote [ -> ]I wish go north would make a decision what's happening with the plain purple buses that operate on 39. Might aswell have painted them silver and kept the Doxford clipper brand. I noticed today the rear of bus 8307 the purple paint is actually coming off to reveal old drifter colours. Shocking!!

There is quite a few about from Last Years Repaints, where the Paint is coming off, A Waggonway Solar was one of them, mainly on the Nearside Wing Mirror, and there was another Solar out of the 4926-31 Batch where one of the Rear Nearside Panels had no paint on whatsoever, and was a Browny Colour, then you have the Crusader Mercs which I mentioned a few weeks back. The Laser Solars which are in the Process of being Repainted were a Right State also.
(11 Aug 2014, 9:48 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]There is quite a few about from Last Years Repaints, where the Paint is coming off, A Waggonway Solar was one of them, mainly on the Nearside Wing Mirror, and there was another Solar out of the 4926-31 Batch where one of the Rear Nearside Panels had no paint on whatsoever, and was a Browny Colour, then you have the Crusader Mercs which I mentioned a few weeks back. The Laser Solars which are in the Process of being Repainted were a Right State also.

Some of the yellow paint is visable on the renowns 5151-5159.
Overall, I reckon it would be a fantastic idea to merge the Chester-le-Street and Stanley depots together. However, if this was to work, I think the ‘’Red Kite’’ and X70/X71 service would need to be transferred to Riverside. If they did merge, the best option would be to have an office at Stanley. This would allow for easy driver changeovers at Stanley for the Diamond, X30/X31 and Lime services. I also think it would be more practical for 130/131 to be operated out of the Chester-le-Street depot too. However, I’m not sure what would happen with Washington. Whether it would be possible to have some routes operated out of both Deptford and the Super Depot I don’t know. What could work though, is that the travel shop at Washington could be converted into an office and travel shop like the one at North Shields, so the W5/W6, 4 and X1 driver changeovers could take place easily. The super depot could operate the M2/M3 and 88/88A with changeovers taking place at Birtley and for the 88/88A at Jarrow with a van.
(11 Aug 2014, 9:53 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Some of the yellow paint is visable on the renowns 5151-5159.

Probs using B&Q's own rather than Dulux as it's Cheaper Wink
(11 Aug 2014, 10:11 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Overall, I reckon it would be a fantastic idea to merge the Chester-le-Street and Stanley depots together. However, if this was to work, I think the ‘’Red Kite’’ and X70/X71 service would need to be transferred to Riverside. If they did merge, the best option would be to have an office at Stanley. This would allow for easy driver changeovers at Stanley for the Diamond, X30/X31 and Lime services. I also think it would be more practical for 130/131 to be operated out of the Chester-le-Street depot too. However, I’m not sure what would happen with Washington. Whether it would be possible to have some routes operated out of both Deptford and the Super Depot I don’t know. What could work though, is that the travel shop at Washington could be converted into an office and travel shop like the one at North Shields, so the W5/W6, 4 and X1 driver changeovers could take place easily. The super depot could operate the M2/M3 and 88/88A with changeovers taking place at Birtley and for the 88/88A at Jarrow with a van.

Washington and Chester merging seems a better idea to me as there a few service round Stanley and the Consett depot ideally can be kept near a main depot. Keep Stanley separate and if times come to replace the depots, Consett & Stanley could merge with the low cost unit.
Just thinking on the Depot Merger

New Depot
Red Arrows/Connections 4/M2/M3/Lambton Worm/Lime/WheyAye50/Waggonway/Angel/13/14/15/128/921/922/X22/X25/X30/X31/X70/X71/X88

Diamond/Red Kite and X43 would Transfer to Riverside, South Tyne 88 would Transfer to Saltmeadows, Resulting in the Closure of CLS/Washington and Stanley Depots.
(11 Aug 2014, 11:45 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Just thinking on the Depot Merger

New Depot
Red Arrows/Connections 4/M2/M3/Lambton Worm/Lime/WheyAye50/Waggonway/Angel/13/14/15/128/921/922/X22/X25/X30/X31/X70/X71/X88

Diamond/Red Kite and X43 would Transfer to Riverside, South Tyne 88 would Transfer to Saltmeadows, Resulting in the Closure of CLS/Washington and Stanley Depots.

Think it would be easier at Deptford.
Where will the new depot be?
Anyone going out to look for 9120 it is likely to be on a different board to yesterday as 4905 is currently on the board that 9120 was working yesterday. Information based on the 78 departing Chester le Street at 07.50 for Consett using 4905.
I don't think it would be a good idea to transfer Diamond/Red Kite and other Stanley services to Riverside. It would mean starting in the city, somewhere where people won't be in early on a morning unless they drive/taxi or bus from places like Consett or Stanley. Would mean certain journeys just going round empty until they get to parts of the route that are actually used.
(12 Aug 2014, 8:26 am)Robert wrote [ -> ]I don't think it would be a good idea to transfer Diamond/Red Kite and other Stanley services to Riverside. It would mean starting in the city, somewhere where people won't be in early on a morning unless they drive/taxi or bus from places like Consett or Stanley. Would mean certain journeys just going round empty until they get to parts of the route that are actually used.

Same with the X43 - who is going to be using it back to Metrocentre on the last run?
(11 Aug 2014, 10:11 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Overall, I reckon it would be a fantastic idea to merge the Chester-le-Street and Stanley depots together. However, if this was to work, I think the ‘’Red Kite’’ and X70/X71 service would need to be transferred to Riverside. If they did merge, the best option would be to have an office at Stanley. This would allow for easy driver changeovers at Stanley for the Diamond, X30/X31 and Lime services. I also think it would be more practical for 130/131 to be operated out of the Chester-le-Street depot too. However, I’m not sure what would happen with Washington. Whether it would be possible to have some routes operated out of both Deptford and the Super Depot I don’t know. What could work though, is that the travel shop at Washington could be converted into an office and travel shop like the one at North Shields, so the W5/W6, 4 and X1 driver changeovers could take place easily. The super depot could operate the M2/M3 and 88/88A with changeovers taking place at Birtley and for the 88/88A at Jarrow with a van.

In regards to your comment about the office at Stanley, I think they do have some kind of little room there next to the Stanley Travel office, I've seen one or two drivers jump off their bus and disappear in for a bit of change. I'm not 100% sure though - could just be a general drivers room.
Personally, I would be very sad to Chester Depot closed.

Despite it being over 100 years old, it was the first depot of the company. With the amount of things they have done to do with the 100th anniversary last year, surely they could consider doing something.

Personally, I would love to see it converted into a transport museum. Just me, like. The depot has been a big part of my life for a long time now, and I don't want to see it be knocked down.
(12 Aug 2014, 9:46 am)Marcus wrote [ -> ]Personally, I would be very sad to Chester Depot closed.

Despite it being over 100 years old, it was the first depot of the company. With the amount of things they have done to do with the 100th anniversary last year, surely they could consider doing something.

Personally, I would love to see it converted into a transport museum. Just me, like. The depot has been a big part of my life for a long time now, and I don't want to see it be knocked down.

Well it has to be replaced sometime...
(12 Aug 2014, 9:33 am)Marcus wrote [ -> ]In regards to your comment about the office at Stanley, I think they do have some kind of little room there next to the Stanley Travel office, I've seen one or two drivers jump off their bus and disappear in for a bit of change. I'm not 100% sure though - could just be a general drivers room.

Plus a proper office for management and customer services at the depot itself. I dont have a very good knowledge of the Bus Station as i dont travel around on buses much but the canteen is further up than the Stanley Travel office (past the middle entrance/exit). What i do think the bus station lacks is the amount of Timetables. Its not like Durham or Newcastle where there is a stand with all the timetables on that can just be picked up and used. Only time i have seen that happen is when service changes have been coming up.

With your transport museum idea, i like it but wouldnt there not be a lack of parking?
(12 Aug 2014, 9:46 am)Marcus wrote [ -> ]Personally, I would be very sad to Chester Depot closed.

Unfortunately there comes a time when a building is deemed unfit for purpose and its occupants are left with no choice but move on to pastures new. I don't know if this is the case with the depot at Chester, but I imagine it would be harder than most to install the most modern, up-to-date, mechanical equipment apparatus whilst maintaining the required space necessary to store enough vehicles to make the operation (and investment) sustainable. Ultimately, that is why new depots are constructed.

Some sort of transport museum would be a good idea though if GNE did decide to relocate. Although parking would be an absolute nightmare and could potentially cause problems around the town if the museum proved popular, Chester-le-Street is conveniently located near to the A1(M); has a train station; and boasts frequent bus services to three major cities: Newcastle. Sunderland and Durham. It could work.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45