North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
The infrastructure has to be there. As someone else has stated above, cash machines don't dish out coins. There's that along with the fact that none of the big three operators publish their single and return fares. Are people expected to carry pockets full of change around? Also, how does it stop people from paying for say a £4.80 fare in 5p coins? Would that not take the driver longer to count out? It's legal tender up to the value of £5 after all...

In addition to being transparent and publishing single/return fares, if there was a smart ticketing option that you can top up (like Oyster), and also the ability to make credit/debit card payments via NFC, then I wouldn't have too much of an issue with this. Until then though, there's no justification for moving to exact fare, and it would have to be a staged/phased approach at least. 

Out of interest Davey, can I ask what mode of payment you use for your bus journeys? I have a limited Arriva season ticket, but need to use cash for GNE buses, and I rarely have the exact fare to a T. Usually £3 for a £2.70 fare, £5 for a £3.20 fare... etc...
(10 Oct 2014, 6:34 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]The infrastructure has to be there. As someone else has stated above, cash machines don't dish out coins. There's that along with the fact that none of the big three operators publish their single and return fares. Are people expected to carry pockets full of change around? Also, how does it stop people from paying for say a £4.80 fare in 5p coins? Would that not take the driver longer to count out? It's legal tender up to the value of £5 after all...

All Go-Ahead operators are undergoing website changes at the moment, and the revised websites include a fare calculator which issues details of single and return fares. Not long before Go North East's website gets the same treatment...
(10 Oct 2014, 6:39 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]All Go-Ahead operators are undergoing website changes at the moment, and the revised websites include a fare calculator which issues details of single and return fares. Not long before Go North East's website gets the same treatment...

Aye, I've seen the Oxford Bus one, which is quite good. Hopefully we'll get fares displayed on the timetable at bus stops with QCS too though...  Smile
(10 Oct 2014, 6:44 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Aye, I've seen the Oxford Bus one, which is quite good. Hopefully we'll get fares displayed on the timetable at bus stops with QCS too though...  Smile

I'd argue it's something which could be achieved with or without the Quality Contracts Scheme?
Electronic timetable information boards (at Hexham and Corbridge) aren't interactive - which means that when the scheduled departure time has passed the information disappears from the display - regardless of whether the bus has arrived (and departed).
3890 now repainted Pink 
(10 Oct 2014, 6:50 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I'd argue it's something which could be achieved with or without the Quality Contracts Scheme?

Not unless the bus companies start being a little more transparent with such commercially senstive information.  Been hard enough for NEXUS to get accurate info about staff numbers!
(10 Oct 2014, 9:25 pm)Racer_Experience wrote [ -> ]3890 now repainted Pink

Looks quite nice.
(10 Oct 2014, 9:30 pm)Marcus wrote [ -> ]Looks quite nice.

Here is a more side-ward view of it:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nebp2/15310210559/
(10 Oct 2014, 9:30 pm)Marcus wrote [ -> ]Looks quite nice.

not a big fan of the colour pink i prefer the green 
(10 Oct 2014, 9:28 pm)markydh wrote [ -> ]Not unless the bus companies start being a little more transparent with such commercially senstive information.  Been hard enough for NEXUS to get accurate info about staff numbers!
If such information is planned to be given on the operators' websites, I can't imagine they'd be reluctant to also give it to Nexus?

I'd assume that it will eventually become something as standard amongst larger operators. Much like the use of Wi-Fi on-board buses (eventually the use of power sockets, Next Stop Announcements, and e-leather seating too), I think more and more bus operators will end up releasing fare calculators (or at the very least - fare information) as standard, as customers will naturally begin to expect it as something to be provided by the service.
Easiest way is X1 to Hetton then the 265 or X1 to Easington Lane and then the 202, or alternatively X36 to Sunderland then 61 from there. Believe the former is the quickest, just you've got to time it right to get a connection.
(11 Oct 2014, 5:15 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]e-leather seating too

I was on an Arriva 685 yesterday and the e-leather seating was looking decidedly 'second hand'.
(11 Oct 2014, 8:51 am)G-CPTN wrote [ -> ]I was on an Arriva 685 yesterday and the e-leather seating was looking decidedly 'second hand'.

How many times - 4660-2/4 have proper leather seats. For e-leather, see the Sapphire/MAX vehicles plus the new Streetlites at Jesmond. The red headrests in the TEN B9s are likewise.
(11 Oct 2014, 9:00 am)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]How many times - 4660-2/4 have proper leather seats. For e-leather, see the Sapphire/MAX vehicles plus the new Streetlites at Jesmond. The red headrests in the TEN B9s are likewise.

I don't think there is any need at all for that attitude. 
(11 Oct 2014, 9:02 am)Tom wrote [ -> ]I don't think there is any need at all for that attitude.

Agreed.
(11 Oct 2014, 9:02 am)Tom wrote [ -> ]I don't think there is any need at all for that attitude. 

If you'd had to correct the same person countless times over the same point, you'd be like that as well

(11 Oct 2014, 9:04 am)Marcus wrote [ -> ]Agreed.

i agree with both of ya Tony does have have something wrong with him not being nasty or owt 
(11 Oct 2014, 10:25 am)Racer_Experience wrote [ -> ]i agree with both of ya Tony does have have something wrong with him not being nasty or owt 

Kuyoyo does not have anything wrong with him. Regardless of whether the original post was rude or not, you shouldn't add fuel to the fire by making posts like this.

I suggest this ends here...
(11 Oct 2014, 10:31 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]Kuyoyo does not have anything wrong with him. Regardless of whether the original post was rude or not, you shouldn't add fuel to the fire by making posts like this.

I suggest this ends here...

thats true but am not saying owt at all ill draw a line in the sand here anyways does anyone have the full order list
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22