North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2015
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
(21 Feb 2015, 9:42 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Yeah it was due at 09:09, as I've just checked on the Nexus site.

So three minutes early. I may be wrong, but I'll email customer services nevertheless, as the lateness is getting irritating too. 

Also keep in mind what Greg in Weardale said earlier, as it was a very valid point. The times listed at bus stops are estimates rather than official times - Savory Road is not a timing point and consequently isn't given in Go North East's timetable, so it's a time that has been assumed.

I obviously can't provide an excuse for the late running as I'm not in a position to do so. Keep an eye on it over the next few days and report specific instances to Customer Services, watch for trends, and see if they can provide reasoning and/or pass your comments on to the Commercial Team to be reviewed.
(21 Feb 2015, 9:48 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Also keep in mind what Greg in Weardale said earlier, as it was a very valid point. The times listed at bus stops are estimates rather than official times - Savory Road is not a timing point and consequently isn't given in Go North East's timetable, so it's a time that has been assumed.

I obviously can't provide an excuse for the late running as I'm not in a position to do so. Keep an eye on it over the next few days and report specific instances to Customer Services, watch for trends[Image: arrow-10x10.png], and see if they can provide reasoning and/or pass your comments on to the Commercial Team to be reviewed.

Cheers Dan.

I can't remember the last time I complained to Go North East, as I really don't like doing it. However, it is getting to the point where I can't rely on the service. 
(21 Feb 2015, 9:48 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Also keep in mind what Greg in Weardale said earlier, as it was a very valid point. The times listed at bus stops are estimates rather than official times - Savory Road is not a timing point and consequently isn't given in Go North East's timetable, so it's a time that has been assumed.

When listening in to a conversation between an experienced driver and a trainee today on the 8, I noted that he was constantly reminding him stuff like,

'Aye, you've got to be at the Galleries for 50 and you've got to leave at 52, and its 43 now so you can just take it slow'.

'You're meant to be at Waterview Park for 41, so you can just coast this along before you do that u-turn when you're there 'cos it's 33 now'.

So, I guess you're right about times for specific stopping points not being totally accurate. As long as all key points are met on time, everything is okay.
(21 Feb 2015, 9:52 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Cheers Dan.

I can't remember the last time I complained to Go North East, as I really don't like doing it. However, it is getting to the point where I can't rely on the service. 

No problem.

The Commercial Team are keeping an eye on AVL, and I think they'll be doing random spot checks at various points of the day to see how the system is performing whilst also looking out for major delays. I can't remember the specifics from last August, but I seem to recall anything outside of the VOSA 'on-time' guidelines comes up in a different colour.

If there's a major ongoing issue, they should already be aware of it. Just in case they aren't, you'd be best off trying to report the issue so it can be reviewed though.

(21 Feb 2015, 9:53 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]When listening in to a conversation between an experienced driver and a trainee today on the 8, I noted that he was constantly reminding him stuff like,

'Aye, you've got to be at the Galleries for 50 and you've got to leave at 52, and its 43 now so you can just take it slow'.

'You're meant to be at Waterview Park for 41, so you can just coast this along before you do that u-turn when you're there 'cos it's 33 now'.

So, I guess you're right about times for specific stopping points not being totally accurate. As long as all key points are met on time, everything is okay.

Spot on. We're probably quite quick to jump and suggest that some services are timed too tightly and this is the reason why we observe delays, but a lot of services have quite a bit of slack, too. This doesn't just apply to Go North East, but extends to other operators as well.

Drivers are only given times for the timing points, so it means that they have to use their experience and knowledge of the route to guess where they should be and if they need to speed up or slow down to get to the timing point on-time. 
As one hoary old bus driver told me - "There would be fewer problems keeping to the timetable if we didn't have to keep stopping to pick up passengers."
(21 Feb 2015, 10:06 pm)G-CPTN wrote [ -> ]As one hoary old bus driver told me - "There would be fewer problems keeping to the timetable if we didn't have to keep stopping to pick up passengers."

I imagine to have that attitude he must have lived in Stanley at some point in his life then..................Wink

#marcused
(21 Feb 2015, 10:06 pm)G-CPTN wrote [ -> ]As one hoary old bus driver told me - "There would be fewer problems keeping to the timetable if we didn't have to keep stopping to pick up passengers."
A bus having to pick up passengers? Fancy that! Big Grin
(21 Feb 2015, 10:18 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]A bus having to pick up passengers? Fancy that! Big Grin

It's like On the Buses all over again! Tongue
(21 Feb 2015, 10:16 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]I imagine to have that attitude he must have lived in Stanley at some point in his life then..................Wink

#marcused

hmm...you gave us a rough description of where in chester you lived earlier today didn't you Tongue 
(21 Feb 2015, 10:27 pm)Robert wrote [ -> ]hmm...you gave us a rough description of where in chester you lived earlier today didn't you Tongue 

Still make three times what you make Robert. Tongue

#marcused
Had conformation that the drivers were indeed running three and four minutes early. Great customer service from Go North East I have to say!
Does anyone know how the 33/33A are doing in Sunderland since they were introduced 25.1.15?
(22 Feb 2015, 11:17 am)Tom wrote [ -> ]Had conformation that the drivers were indeed running three and four minutes early. Great customer service from Go North East I have to say!

You had a reply within 12 hours?

It usually takes a couple of days for Go North East to investigate those sort of complaints, as they have to work out which bus was allocated to that specific service from the ETM data, and then request the vehicle tracking software data to check the data it provides against your claim, before the driver's manager is informed.
(22 Feb 2015, 11:58 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]You had a reply within 12 hours?

It usually takes a couple of days for Go North East to investigate those sort of complaints, as they have to work out which bus was allocated to that specific service from the ETM data, and then request the vehicle tracking software data to check the data it provides against your claim, before the driver's manager[Image: arrow-10x10.png] is informed.

Yeah, I did. I'll post the reply if you want?
(22 Feb 2015, 12:04 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Yeah, I did. I'll post the reply if you want?
Wonder if this is one of the perks of AVL?

You state the time and stop, they search on their system and hey presto!
(22 Feb 2015, 12:04 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Yeah, I did. I'll post the reply if you want?

It'd be interesting to see, but please remove any references to a specific employee if you do post it. Including whoever has responded to your complaint. Smile
(22 Feb 2015, 12:12 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]It'd be interesting to see, but please remove any references to a specific employee if you do post it. Including whoever has responded to your complaint. Smile

Yeah I always remove the names Smile

Dear customer

I am sorry that you have had reason to complain about the early operation of this service.

During initial training staff undergo extensive training and are trained to a very high standard of customer service.  Driver standards are monitored – not just in training but throughout their career[Image: arrow-10x10.png] – and refresher training is provided periodically or where necessary.

We have an obligation to ensure that our services run no more than one minute early or five minutes late, however, on this occasion our driver has fallen short of our standards; therefore the details of your complaint have been forwarded to their line manager for urgent attention.  The driver will be interviewed and suitable disciplinary action taken to prevent a recurrence of this nature, which may include additional training.  In line with good employment[Image: arrow-10x10.png] practise I am unable to provide you with details relating to any disciplinary action taken.

This service will also be monitored as a result of late running with the intention of improving reliability.

I would like to apologise for any distress or inconvenience caused, and thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention.  Managers and directors review all complaints, individually and periodically, and wherever possible action is taken to prevent a possible recurrence.

If you experience any problems with our services in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me or another member of the Customer Services Team on 01914205050.

It's concerning how Customer Services can play judge, jury and executioner, when logistically, it would be pretty much impossible to gather the facts in such a short period of time. They've stated "our driver has fallen short of our standards", yet further on in the response it seems to imply that the driver has yet to be asked for their side of the story? If they've used AVL data alone as gospel, then it's a dangerous game to get into. 
(22 Feb 2015, 12:28 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]It's concerning how Customer Services can play judge, jury and executioner, when logistically, it would be pretty much impossible to gather the facts in such a short period of time. They've stated "our driver has fallen short of our standards", yet further on in the response it seems to imply that the driver has yet to be asked for their side of the story? If they've used AVL data alone as gospel, then it's a dangerous game to get into. 

Yeah I suppose.

I'm sure they will let me know in more detail sometime. Good response anyway. 
(22 Feb 2015, 12:28 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]It's concerning how Customer Services can play judge, jury and executioner, when logistically, it would be pretty much impossible to gather the facts in such a short period of time. They've stated "our driver has fallen short of our standards", yet further on in the response it seems to imply that the driver has yet to be asked for their side of the story? If they've used AVL data alone as gospel, then it's a dangerous game to get into. 

Normally ETM data is used alongside AVL.  This is downloaded from the vehicles each night once the vehicles return to the depot and is available to view the following day.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35