North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2015
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
(08 Feb 2015, 6:34 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]I reckon the Versa's are going nowhere

You reckon? Or you KNOW? Tongue
(08 Feb 2015, 6:21 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I don't think Go North East really saw it as a downgrade; after all, the vehicles allocated now are actually newer than the Mercedes Citaros previously allocated (even the older examples: 8306 - 8309).

Whilst I do agree that Mercedes Citaros are far superior in terms of ride quality, moving the Versas away from their role on service 61 and onto the new 2/2A will help cover the cost of them quicker, while the older Mercedes Citaros (whose costs should be more or less covered by now - after six and a half years on the 2A/2C) can move into a more backseat role.

I personally think that the old 2A/2C routes are helping prop up the 42 route. On evenings and Sundays, service 42 is hardly the best performer, and you regularly see empty buses. On the other hand, the old 2A/2C services yield much higher loadings in comparison.

Maybe newer, but if you were offered a brand new Ford Fiesta over a 1-3 year old BMW 5 series, you'd take the 5 series every day of the week. The Citaro, in my opinion, is far superior to any other vehicle in any of the big three's fleets. Passenger comfort and ride quality, rather than the technical side!

I agree that the 2/2A is propping the 42 up, and it'd be interesting to see if it's causing reliability issues. I don't use it enough these days to properly comment, but my personal experience so far is that the reliability seems to have become worse. Had two 2As appear in the space of 5 minutes last week, and the two I've used this weekend have been 5 minutes, and 8 minutes late respectively. Not great loads on them either.
(08 Feb 2015, 6:34 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]I reckon the Versa's are going nowhere

That's ashame, oh well, glad i like the Versa's! 
(08 Feb 2015, 6:29 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]I think the 15/15A is like the 14 where it is very busy on a morning heading into Durham and a double decker is needed but during the daytime until probably around 1510 it could get away with single deckers.

The solution to that would be to run a duplicate or increase the frequency during the high-demand period.
(08 Feb 2015, 6:29 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]I'm not sure what the numbers are like on the 15/15A but I often saw one on a morning when I was in college and I used to see loads getting off for New College then you still had a fair few still on heading into Durham as well.

I think the 15/15A is like the 14 where it is very busy on a morning heading into Durham and a double decker is needed but during the daytime until probably around 1510 it could get away with single deckers.

Yes, you're right.

Prior to October 2012, services 15/15A were operated by single decker vehicles and there was an extra weekday journey (numbered 815) in each direction on the morning school run, operated by a Volvo Olympian. As part of a consultation held in August 2012, Go North East decided to withdraw this extra weekday journey completely and replace the single decker vehicles with double decker vehicles to provide the extra capacity when it's needed at peak times.
(08 Feb 2015, 6:37 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Maybe newer, but if you were offered a brand new Ford Fiesta over a 1-3 year old BMW 5 series, you'd take the 5 series every day of the week. The Citaro, in my opinion, is far superior to any other vehicle in any of the big three's fleets. Passenger comfort and ride quality, rather than the technical side!

I agree that the 2/2A is propping the 42 up, and it'd be interesting to see if it's causing reliability issues. I don't use it enough these days to properly comment, but my personal experience so far is that the reliability seems to have become worse. Had two 2As appear in the space of 5 minutes last week, and the two I've used this weekend have been 5 minutes, and 8 minutes late respectively. Not great loads on them either.

Whilst understanding some of the reasons for it omitting Park Lane, I am curious to see the effect on loadings on the 2's and if passengers are choosing an alternative.
There are a number of alternatives, depending on the time a passenger has spare and the ultimate destination.
(08 Feb 2015, 6:41 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Yes, you're right.

Prior to October 2012, services 15/15A were operated by single decker vehicles and there was an extra weekday journey (numbered 815) in each direction on the morning school run, operated by a Volvo Olympian. As part of a consultation held in August 2012, Go North East decided to withdraw this extra weekday journey completely and replace the single decker vehicles with double decker vehicles to provide the extra capacity when it's needed at peak times.

I remember the 815. Just as an extra piece of information, the PM journey ran off Scholars service 825.
I noticed this the other when i got on from the gal's, both 2/2A came in at the same time, both were on different stands and passengers was confused, this was after 4pm though....

I only ever use the 2/2A between 7:30am and 8:30am and 4:00pm-5:00pm (times varey each week), with it being peak times buses are normally busy...

I still think they should of gone in Park Lane both ways..

Stand H - Silksworth
Stand J - Washington

Move the 39 to Stand 
(08 Feb 2015, 6:37 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Maybe newer, but if you were offered a brand new Ford Fiesta over a 1-3 year old BMW 5 series, you'd take the 5 series every day of the week. The Citaro, in my opinion, is far superior to any other vehicle in any of the big three's fleets. Passenger comfort and ride quality, rather than the technical side!

Whilst I do love the analogy and completely understand where you're coming from (also sharing the same opinion that the Citaro is by far the best single decker vehicle operated out of the North East), I think it will work differently with buses, given their huge cost and how the company will pay back the money over time before making a profit out of each vehicle.

Like you, I can't comment on the reliability of the revised 2/2A services as I don't live over that way any more. I know both routes were pretty reliable before (outside of peak times where Chester Road is a nightmare), so can't imagine there should be too much of an issue now? There are two sets of temporary traffic lights on the route of the 2 at the moment - one at Lambton, and the other near the Station Road low bridge).
(08 Feb 2015, 6:41 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Yes, you're right.

There is an extra 15 journey on school day mornings from Consett to Durham running 5 minutes in front of another 15. I've seen all sorts appear on this journey over the years usually a President or Volvo Olympian although I've also seen Venture Solo SR's and SPDs a good few times before.

Apparently these 15's are pretty busy on a morning as someone on my course used to get it from Consett.
(08 Feb 2015, 6:46 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]I still think it should of gone in Park Lane both ways..

Stand H - Silksworth
Stand K - Washington

I actually think the new 2/2A services are better off not serving Park Lane...

I'm not sure of the exact cost, but for each departure in Park Lane, Go North East has to pay Nexus about 60p. Those travelling from Park Lane up to Chester Road have an enormous amount of buses to start with, and keeping the 2/2A on Holmeside only provides a bit of competition with Stagecoach's 16.

Let's say the departure charge is £0.60 and it did serve Park Lane in both directions. This would be 12 departures per hour, which is a total cost of £7.20/hr. Let's say there's 12 departures per hour between 7am and 7pm, accounting for any other departures outside of these hours. That is £86.40 per day. There are 52 Sundays in a year, so let's remove these altogether. 313 days multiplied by £86.40 = £27043.20 just to allow services 2/2A to serve Park Lane.

This saving, paired with the lower running costs (Optare Versas are more fuel efficient than Mercedes Citaros), could allow Go North East to use this increased profit to serve as justification to form the basis of capital expenditure to Go-Ahead. Go North East's orders for this financial year are confirmed now, so I highly doubt we'll see new buses arrive this year, but in the future, who knows..?
(08 Feb 2015, 6:54 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]There is an extra 15 journey on school day mornings from Consett to Durham running 5 minutes in front of another 15. I've seen all sorts appear on this journey over the years usually a President or Volvo Olympian although I've also seen Venture Solo SR's and SPDs a good few times before.

Apparently these 15's are pretty busy on a morning as someone on my course used to get it from Consett.

So even with a double decked allocation, the 15 needs a dupe! Think Tom needs to find a new home for the OmniCitys in his plan! Tongue 
(08 Feb 2015, 7:07 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]So even with a double decked allocation, the 15 needs a dupe! Think Tom needs to find a new home for the OmniCitys in his plan! Tongue 

Yeah there is that many heading to New College and schools in Durham on a morning as these are some of the only schools/college in the area.

It's not just the 15 either, there is also an extra X21 and also one journey on Arriva service 7 is also duplicated at the moment at least.
It might be just gossip but I got told there are plans to brand the 82/82A and I've been told by someone called James the 35/35A etc will be rebranded Go Golden!!
(09 Feb 2015, 11:18 am)leestransportphotos wrote [ -> ]It might be just gossip but I got told there are plans to brand the 82/82A and I've been told by someone called James the 35/35A etc will be rebranded Go Golden!!

Ah, bullshit gen,

We've already had Go North East Gold, but Go Golden sounds absolutely stupid.

We know that the buse aren't going to get leather seats (because they'll get painted at refurbishment), Go Golden & Go North East Gold sound more superior than what it already is.

First, Arriva and Stagecoach have already used the posh and precious names, so GNE could choose "Diamond" for their superior routes?  
I thought it would be. James Teasdale was the one that said it.
Go Golden sounds like some horrible GNE attempt at National Holidays type holidays....

Obviously it's not genuine but don't get any ideas!!
(07 Feb 2015, 7:50 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]I'd never noticed prior to tonight, but a Merc on the 4 was telling the world it was going via 'Bourmoor'.

I have just checked the destination file that is in the Mercedes, and they all have the correct spelling 'Bournmoor'
(09 Feb 2015, 1:49 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]I have just checked the destination file that is in the Mercedes, and they all have the correct spelling 'Bournmoor'

Strange... Both myself and passenger noticed the incorrect spelling on the rear blind the other night when we were following a Houghton bound bus.
Most of these movements have already been noted, but nevertheless, as per Go North East's website:

Olympian 3813: S813 FVK has been transferred from Stanley to Riverside. Vehicles sold are Volvo B10BLEs 4850: R856 PRG, 4852: R852 PRG, Scania artic 4953: NK51 OLV, Volvo B10M driver trainers 7078: S978 ABR and 7079: S979 ABR to Alpha Recovery, Weetslade. Mercedes Citaro artics 5339, 5341, 5347 & 5348 have been sold to Brighton & Hove.

I'll try and update our fleet lists at some point today.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35