North East Buses

Full Version: R852 PRG's Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
(02 Nov 2015, 2:35 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]That was a very good review, Marcus! I can't bear a 17 hour day, so you must have been rather tired on return!

Thanks, Tommy. To be honest, it's only just dawned on me that I was out for 15 hours. I wasn't really that tired when I got home, but I didn't have the energy to do anything. 

(02 Nov 2015, 2:43 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Great review as ever Marcus.

I thought about going along yesterday but there was no way in hell I'd be able to get to Newcastle anywhere even close to 8am, earliest I can get into Newcastle is after 10am even then there is the difficulty in getting to Darlington and anyone who could have given a lift to Newcastle (not that anyone would want to) got absolutely plastered the night before, so wasn't possible at all, yet again

Would also liked to have gone along to the thing you and Dan are heading along to in Manchester where for once I can get there but unfortunately I can't attend as I'm heading to a gig in Newcastle that night. Mind I'd probably just spend the whole day hiding from Dan after not speaking to him in Stockton on Saturday - sorry about that.

Shame on Dan!

Thanks, Jimmi. A few people were picked up along the A1(M) actually, at places like Belmont Park & Ride as an example. Shame you can't make it to Manchester for the B10M event, it's something I'm really looking forward to. I've never rode on an Alexander PS-bodied B10M before, and it's an event dedicated to their retirement, so I'm hoping to get some rides. My only worry is that, according to the Facebook Event page, almost 200 people are going. Then again, a lot of people seem to drop out of these things, so hopefully it won't be a crowded event.
(02 Nov 2015, 2:58 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]Thanks, Jimmi. A few people were picked up along the A1(M) actually, at places like Belmont Park & Ride as an example. Shame you can't make it to Manchester for the B10M event, it's something I'm really looking forward to. I've never rode on an Alexander PS-bodied B10M before, and it's an event dedicated to their retirement, so I'm hoping to get some rides. My only worry is that, according to the Facebook Event page, almost 200 people are going. Then again, a lot of people seem to drop out of these things, so hopefully it won't be a crowded event.

Think there was a pick up point in Ferryhill before Newcastle (may be wrong on that) but again, no bus, car owners still drunk, so not possible.

Yeah the Manchester thing, I saw you post about it and thought I like the sound of that am I do anything on the 14th... DAMMIT! Which I loudly said when I was on the X18 in Haymarket the other week, only ever been on one and it was with Catch22Bus in Blackpool on the Seafront 12 and unfortunately because it was the promenade service it didn't get up to any speed whatsoever and was only a short journey. I will be in Manchester in January to see The Libertines and then again in April to see Muse which I am incredibly looking forward to and I may take along my camera to get a few photos although I'd like to do some proper bus bashing there, should be having a week in Blackpool in July so I may get the train to Manchester one day especially as off peak singles are fairly cheap. May also go to Preston and Lancaster if I have a weeks holiday in Blackpool.
Marcus is telling you lot that the £15 fare on the bus included entry fee when it didn't - we didn't have to pay for this as we didn't go into the museum...

How can anything he says be trusted? Ha ha!
(02 Nov 2015, 3:41 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Marcus is telling you lot that the £15 fare on the bus included entry fee when it didn't - we didn't have to pay for this as we didn't go into the museum...

How can anything he says be trusted? Ha ha!

I suppose he'll tell us that you went into the bushes and urinated too, eh..!  Big Grin
(02 Nov 2015, 3:59 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]I suppose he'll tell us that you went into the bushes and urinated too, eh..!  Big Grin

Such scandalous and malicious rumours!
(02 Nov 2015, 2:35 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]That was a very good review, Marcus! I can't bear a 17 hour day, so you must have been rather tired on return!
It wasn't that bad to be honest. It was a comfortable coach, and a nice relaxing journey there and back. I did manage a power nap on the way back mind. Which is some achievement, given that Marcus could talk for England! Wink
(02 Nov 2015, 4:42 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]It wasn't that bad to be honest. It was a comfortable coach, and a nice relaxing journey there and back. I did manage a power nap on the way back mind. Which is some achievement, given that Marcus could talk for England! Wink

Disappointed that you weren't snapped for the sleeping commuters thread.
Saturday 14th November 2015 – Farewell to the B10M

Yesterday, once again, I found myself escaping the region to visit a new city, but for a good cause. In partnership with Stagecoach in Manchester; the 896 Bus Group had organised a running day dedicated to remembering the Volvo B10M/Alexander PS vehicles that have roamed the streets of Manchester for 20 years, ahead of their withdrawal. I invited Dan to tag along with me, similar to the Stagecoach Open Day at their Lillyhall facility in Cumbria.

After picking him up in Chester-le-Street at 07:30 (having caught an 06:30ish 8A from Sunderland), we drove down in my dad's car, stopping briefly at Wetherby Services to take on fuel (took the opportunity to photograph an Eddie Stobart truck), we arrived in Manchester at 10:00. My dad drove off to visit the Trafford Centre while we walked up towards Piccadilly Gardens. Dan had been rambling on about a Wetherspoons breakfast... After taking some photos at Shudehill Interchange, and then failing to find a seat in the closest Wetherspoons (''Wetherspoons Piccadilly'' it was rather appropriately named), he then insisted we walked down to another Wetherspoons; ''The Paramount''. Surprisingly; it was very quiet, and we easily located a table. I enjoyed a Traditional Breakfast (can't remember what he had), before we walked back up to Piccadilly Gardens, photographing various buses in the open bus station. Having failed to locate the stop for the 192 (which the B10Ms were operating, from Manchester to Hazel Grove, departing each location on the hour); we eventually found it elsewhere, and waited for a B10M to show.

#192 – Manchester Piccadilly to Stockport Mersey Square – (11:54 --- 12:25) – Stagecoach in Cumbria 20711 – Volvo B10M/Alexander PS – ''Schoolrunner''
It had been made perfectly clear by the 896 Bus Group that only 20982 and 20983 were scheduled to appear on the services; being the only two surviving B10Ms operating in Manchester; but, we were shocked when two B10Ms turned the corner and onto Piccadilly. Dan noticed the registration plate of the leading example was K-DAO; informing me that it was a Cumbrian example, and that we should go with that. It was 20711, registered as K711 DAO; a ''Schoolrunner'' branded B10M dedicated to operating Carlisle school services. Behind was 20983; one of the Manchester natives, with the registration R983 XVM. As we were some of the first to board 20711, we had the choice of seats. After gaining my Manchester DayRider from the driver, at the price of £4.10 (complete with a message at the bottom, saying ''Farewell to the B10M''), we sat at the back seats. One of the last passengers to board was the famous Graeme Palmer; complete with his dog... Prior to him locating a seat, we were worried that he was going to tell us to move seats because he wanted to sit there... As we pulled away, it initially felt like I was on a Volvo B10BLE, except the ZF gearbox was very prominent in this vehicle, and some of Go North East's B10BLEs do have weak gearboxes. We enjoyed a spirited run to Stockport, where we decided to alight and get some photos, however, as 20983 was only just behind us, we decided to catch that B10M down to Hazel Grove Park & Ride.

#192 – Stockport Mersey Square to Hazel Grove Park & Ride – (12:29 --- 12:45) – Stagecoach in Manchester 20983 – Volvo B10M/Alexander PS – ''Stagecoach''
We only had a few minutes to wait before 20983 came along; in that time I think Dan managed a couple of photos. A rather large loading jumped off here, meaning the bus was quite quiet when we got on. There was no difficulty in locating a seat, and again, we sat at the back. Over Facebook Messenger; Sean seemed confused as to why we were sat at the back of a mid-engined bus, but Dan used the excuse that it was for extra legroom. The padding in the seating in 20983 was excellent; and unlike on 20711, where the seating arrangement was three on one side and two on the other (to fit as many children as possible on for school duties, also sacrificing the room in the gangway) – the seating arrangement on 20983 was like on any other standard service vehicle. Another bonus was that nobody had opened the windows on 20983; on 20711, somebody had opened numerous, meaning the bus was freezing. However; 20983 had a very weak gearbox, and sounded pathetic in comparison to 20711. The fact that I knew 20983 had spent it's working life trotting around Greater Manchester, while 20711 had explored some of the most beautiful parts of Cumbria, also had an effect on my judgement. Overall; I preferred 20711 to 20983, simply because it sounded better.

#192 – Hazel Grove Park & Ride to Stockport Mersey Square – (12:57 --- 13:20) – Stagecoach in Manchester 12190 – Alexander Dennis E40D/Alexander Dennis Enviro400 – ''Hybrid''
As we arrived at Hazel Grove; I noticed the line-up of Volvo B10Ms in the car park. In the middle was the famous 896, now preserved, along with a few Stagecoach B10Ms from around the Cumbria (one from Merseyside and South Lancashire, and another one from Cumbria), as well as a John Fishwick and Sons Leyland National Mk1. Both 20711 and 20983 were still waiting at Hazel Grove when we were finished taking photos; so we walked through the Park & Ride centre, picking up some leaflets as went through, which celebrated the event and the backstory of the B10M buses. For the sake variety; Dan suggested we boarded the Hybrid Enviro400 that was waiting. I caught the fleet number as 12190 as I boarded; showing my DayRider to the driver, and then making my way upstairs to join Dan; who had commandeered the nearside front seats. A man was sat opposite us, with a pen and notepad, jotting down fleet numbers as we went along the route. Two young enthusiasts were sat towards the back; talking endlessly about their ''winners'' and ''haulages''. It was a short journey back to Stockport; despite some of the traffic, and by now, it was raining badly. 

#192 – Stockport Mersey Square to Manchester Piccadilly – (14:10 --- 14:55) – Stagecoach in Manchester 12192 – Alexander Dennis E40D/Alexander Dennis Enviro400 – ''Hybrid''
We walked down into Stockport Bus Station; staying under shelter for about ten minutes and photographing stuff entering and leaving. After this, we had a wander down to Stockport depot, handily adjacent to the bus station. A few ALX300s and Enviro300s were present in what appeared to be a separate compound to the main garage; which had a wide front entrance. An ALX300 was preparing to leave, and I think Dan managed to get a photograph of it leaving beneath the Stagecoach sign. After our business in Stockport was done; we tried to work out the best bus we could get back to Manchester for 15:00, when we had arranged to meet my dad again. We decided the 192 was the best option, and headed back up to Mersey Square to catch one. 12192 rolled to a halt, and after a driver changeover, we departed at 14:10. This journey felt like it took forever; stopping at pretty much every single stop along the busy and traffic-filled road into Manchester. Nevertheless, we arrived back at Piccadilly for just before 15:00. I've never been particularly keen on the Hybrid Enviro400s that Stagecoach have; I prefer the standard diesel engined examples that hold a key place in Stagecoach fleet. As we were walking back; Dan noticed SN04 EGF; the Enviro300 that used to be owned by Go North East as 4977, now with Stagecoach as 27598.

After getting back to the place that my dad dropped us off at, we left Manchester, and dropped Dan back off in Chester-le-Street at 18:05. He then caught the 18:14 ''Coast & Country'' 8 back to Sunderland. It was a great day out, and I can now say I have visited Manchester for buses. I think the day would have been much better had the weather been on our side, but you can't have everything. I may consider returning to Manchester at some point in 2016; preferably to try out some of the ''Magic Bus'' ALX400s (sounded amazing) and some of the still-relatively new Enviro400MMCs that roam the streets. Was a great outing for some Volvo B10Ms though, and I have to congratulate the 896 Bus Group on organising such a brilliant event. They raised £900 for charity, which again, is commendable. My photos from yesterday are viewable in the following album; https://www.flickr.com/photos/127739730@...1179194042. Thanks for reading.

Marcus
Always love a spoons breakfast Tongue . Don't often use the one in Bristol, but when I am in Gateshead next week, I'll be having one at The Tilley Stone Big Grin .
(15 Nov 2015, 1:59 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]Dan had been rambling on about a Wetherspoons breakfast... After taking some photos at Shudehill Interchange, and then failing to find a seat in the closest Wetherspoons (''Wetherspoons Piccadilly'' it was rather appropriately named), he then insisted we walked down to another Wetherspoons; ''The Paramount''. Surprisingly; it was very quiet, and we easily located a table. I enjoyed a Traditional Breakfast (can't remember what he had), before we walked back up to Piccadilly Gardens, photographing various buses in the open bus station.

Marcus missed his favourite line... "Courtesy of x's wallet"!

Suppose it was courtesy of my debit card instead, like..!

(15 Nov 2015, 2:22 pm)Simmy wrote [ -> ]Always love a spoons breakfast Tongue . Don't often use the one in Bristol, but when I am in Gateshead next week, I'll be having one at The Tilley Stone Big Grin .

...and it has to be large, rather than traditional!

I've discovered over the last month that a large breakfast goes down nicely with a strawberry and lime kopparberg too.  Tongue
(15 Nov 2015, 2:31 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Marcus missed his favourite line... "Courtesy of x's wallet"!

Suppose it was courtesy of my debit card instead, like..!

...and it has to be large, rather than traditional!

I've discovered over the last month that a large breakfast goes down nicely with a strawberry and lime kopparberg too.  Tongue

It was payment for the ride down to Manchester. Big Grin
A really enjoyable review to read. I was hoping to go down myself on the National Express. Unfortunately family commitments meant't I could not make it. I used to visit Manchester quite a lot in the mid 1990's. Cracking city for record shops.

Charles
(16 Nov 2015, 1:37 pm)Charles41 wrote [ -> ]A really enjoyable review to read. I was hoping to go down myself on the National Express. Unfortunately family commitments meant't I could not make it. I used to visit Manchester quite a lot in the mid 1990's. Cracking city for record shops.

Charles

Thanks, Charles. Sad that you couldn't make it; was a great event. I'd like to think Go North East might do something similar with their Volvo Olympians or Wright Renowns in the future. I was impressed by the frequency and variety in Manchester, and I'm looking into returning at some point in 2016. Other things on my to-do list include the Cumbrian Coast Class 37s; Leeds and West Yorkshire (with tyresmoke); York again (with citaro5284); and I'm also looking into doing an East Scotland Explorer (during the Summer holidays). It would involve getting the train up to Edinburgh, then visiting the likes of Kirkcaldy, Leven and Dunfermline. What has drawn me to the location is the apparent presence of a lot of Stagecoach coaches. Once I've got a DSLR camera; I'm also going to focus on rail photography more. Smile
(17 Nov 2015, 9:29 am)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]I'm also going to focus on rail photography more. Smile

Have you tried the Settle and Carlisle railway, the views are amazing. You can get a round robin day ticket from Newcastle. It's a really good day out and you get plenty of time in Leeds and York for spotting or shopping.

Charles
(17 Nov 2015, 1:29 pm)Charles41 wrote [ -> ]Have you tried the Settle and Carlisle railway, the views are amazing. You can get a round robin day ticket from Newcastle. It's a really good day out and you get plenty of time in Leeds and York for spotting or shopping.

Charles

I've never travelled on the Settle-Carlisle line, no. Some of my ideas for rail photography include Plawsworth (haven't been before for any rail photos, but it's local to me, I know it's a lovely village), which would mean catching an ''Angel'' 21 to Plawsworth and walking through the village to the location itself.
(17 Nov 2015, 1:51 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]I've never travelled on the Settle-Carlisle line, no. Some of my ideas for rail photography include Plawsworth (haven't been before for any rail photos, but it's local to me, I know it's a lovely village), which would mean catching an ''Angel'' 21 to Plawsworth and walking through the village to the location itself.

I have been to Plawsworth a few times when I younger to photograph trains.

I also used to visit the garage of Crossroads Coaches at nearby Kimblesworth. Unfortunately they are not trading any more.

Charles
Intending to have an outing on an Explorer tomorrow, providing the weather isn't too bad. Haven't done one since September, and I have a few things I need to catch up on, so decided an Explorer is the best ticket. Unsure of where I'm going to end up, but I'll be heading to Durham in the late afternoon for some photos of the Christmas Market coaches.
Saturday 5th December 2015

My outing from today:

08:06 X12 1442 Chester-le-Street Corals to Newcastle Eldon Square
Decided I would make this trip my last Explorer of the year; and I caught the 08:07 X12 service from Chester-le-Street to Newcastle. This is a Stockton run, meaning the allocation is an Arriva ''MAX'' Pulsar. 1442 turned up, which I was quite pleased with as 1442 is the only one of 1441-1443 that I hadn't yet made a journey on. As is standard, this service was lightly loaded with about fifteen passengers on board throughout. Always enjoy a ride on a Pulsar; and I feel the ''MAX'' specification examples are some of the best in the fleet. While these can reach up to 60mph when let loose on the fast stretches of the X12; the DB300 Geminis can usually only top 50mph. Sean was out and about doing the Tyne Valley diversions today, and I owed him a Wetherspoons breakfast after excessive use of the ''thumb'' in Facebook Messenger. His train was being held up at various signals, and he gave me a rough arrival time of 09:30.

08:40 46 2844 Newcastle Haymarket to Regent Centre Metro
Following arrival into Eldon Square at 08:35; I thanked the driver of 1442 and had a little look around in the bus station for anything of interest. As expected, it was quite quiet, so I decided to have a wander across to Haymarket. An Optare Solo caught my attention; it was left unattended in one of the stands, and I came to the conclusion that it wasn't going to be moving any time soon. Shortly afterwards; one of the 46-branded Jesmond examples came in with a 46 for Featherstone Grove, so I decided to have a little ride on that up to Regent Centre. It departed with myself as the only passenger; nice enough bus inside although a bit lame when getting up to a decent speed. 

08:51 Metro 4014+4080 Regent Centre to Haymarket
On arrival at Regent Centre, I decided I'd catch a Metro back to Newcastle. I descended the stairs that led down to the platform for South Hylton-bound trains, and noticed a fair few passengers were present, indicating that a service was due soon. Within thirty seconds; I heard the rumble of a Metro in the distance, and looked north to see one coming along. 4014 was leading, and looked quiet, so I naturally expected the second car to be just as deserted. It was equally as quiet, with roughly twenty people spread out across the entire carriage. Between Ilford Road and West Jesmond; I began to smell a strange burning smell. Other passengers picked up on it too, and I couldn't put my finger on what exactly it was. After Jesmond; Haymarket was next, so I prepared to alight.

09:15 Metro 4053+4054 Monument to Wallsend
One of my few aims for today was a ride on a ''North Tyne Links'' MPD; which would require heading over towards Wallsend. I knew the quickest and simplest way to get there was to take the Metro from Monument to Wallsend; so I paced it towards Monument station. When I got to platform level, I saw that trains had been suspended in both directions between Jarrow and South Shields. Similar to the situation at Regent Centre, within a short period of thirty seconds, a Metro came into view. 4053 and 4054 were adjoined in this pair; was nice to see two cars in numerical consistency. The set arrived completely empty, and the fifteen or so people waiting for it were all spread across the two Metrocars; possibly the quietest journey I've ever made on the system. Towards Walkergate, we passed the Stagecoach depot; which was filled with stacks of Enviro400s, as well as a handful of ALX300s and a B10M driver trainer that I could see. Wallsend was the next station, so I jumped ship here.

09:34 41 567 Wallsend Metro Interchange to Battle Hill Drive
I walked down to the bus interchange from the Metro station; intent on a ride and a photograph of a ''North Tyne Links'' MPD. 567 was present in the bus station, with the driver standing outside having a cigarette, and Stagecoach's 22344 was stood with an 18 for Forest Hall. I got some photos of the two of them, and hovered around waiting for 567 to do something. In that time; dual-door 5154 appeared with a 17 to Whitley Bay, which I was incredibly tempted by. However, I knew what I had came here for, so I stuck with 567. Before long, the driver fired up the engines of the MPD, and set the destination for the 41 to Wallsend. Decided I would catch this around to Battle Hill Drive, and then go wherever from there. The refurbished interior of this little machine was very smart, and it was quite fast as well. Nice enough route, didn't pass anything of real interest, and within the space of twenty five minutes, we arrived at Battle Hill Drive.

10:03 306 1412 Battle Hill Drive to Newcastle Haymarket
Having thanked the driver and watched 567 speed off back to Wallsend, I waited for something else to come along. Following a brief wait, in which I saw a 306-branded Streetlite pass me heading to Whitley Bay, I saw the unmistakable sight of an original-liveried Arriva Wright Pulsar coming along with a 306 to Newcastle. It was something I couldn't turn down, so flagged it to a halt. Pulsars sporting this livery seem few and far between; with many either carrying the company corporate livery or ''Sapphire'' branding. After taking my seat, I noticed it still had it's original interior, which was very warm and vibrant in my opinion. Similar to 1442 earlier in the day, it was a very speedy machine and offered a comfortable journey. When passing Jesmond, I was disappointed to see Jesmond's B10BLE 4514 fly past us with a 52 to Cramlington. Almost all of the bus emptied on St. Mary's Place, but I continued on to the bus station, now intent on a Stagecoach ALX300.

10:33 X21 3872 Newcastle Eldon Square to Chester-le-Street Red Lion
I walked through Haymarket bus station and through Eldon Square, emerging on the other side to see ''Work, Eat, Play'' branded 3872 making it's way up Blackett Street. The LED display in the front destination told me that it was operating the X21, so I double backed and returned to Eldon Square bus station to catch this somewhere. During the walk, I decided I would catch this to back to Chester-le-Street and wait for something of interest. The Lolynes are personal favourites of mine, purely for nostalgia purposes, so I always look forward to a ride on one. Took ages for the congestion in the bus station to allow 3872 to get to the stand; and when it did, I boarded and made my way upstairs. Ordinary journey up until we hit the A1(M), where the strong winds began to push the bus into other lanes. Luckily, the driver managed to keep control of 3872, and we exited the motorway safely. Was certainly quite scary being forced into other lanes, though. Upon arrival at Chester-le-Street, for the second time today, I looked around for anything interesting.

11:14 8 5399 Chester-le-Street South Burns to Washington Galleries
As my phone could have done with some charging, I decided to aim for a ''Coast & Country'' Streetlite somewhere. 5403 arrived with a Stanley-bound 8, but I decided to catch the imminently due Sunderland-bound 8. While they are still nothing on a good B10BLE; I have come to, regrettably to an extent, find the Streetlites more bearable than I initially did. The plug sockets and charging facility is an added bonus, but for me; sound is everything. They still sound whingey and annoying, but I can mute that with my earphones. Still, they're not on par with a Renown, but I have found I can tolerate them. Wouldn't want to spend an entire day on them, however. The Galleries came up on the Next Stop Announcements system, so I chose to alight here and find something else.

11:37 82 8255 Washington Galleries to Heworth Metro Interchange
Thought of catching the X1 through to Newcastle, but the queue had reached the bottom of the escalators and I couldn't be bothered with a packed bus. Then, after 5399 had departed, I saw a Heworth-bound 82 appear. Suspecting a Wright Merit; I was surprised to see it was 8255, one of the two surviving Cadets based at Washington now. Once more, I couldn't turn down this opportunity to ride this little guy so I boarded and made my way towards the back; sitting on the offside quadrant. Interior was quite dirty; with various pieces of litter scattered all over the floor, but the ''graffiti'' moquette seating was quite welcoming. 8255 was quite a speedy Cadet, in my somewhat limited experience of them, they've just trundled along at an average pace, but 8255 kept producing plenty of kickdowns throughout the route as the gearbox slipped on the faster stretches. Considered bailing at Concord, but I opted to stay on until Heworth and then see whatever took my fancy. What made it even better, was that I consequently managed to get a photo of 5169, still in it's ''Fab57'' livery, at Heworth. 

12:19 Metro 4036+4078 Heworth to Central Station
With some severe delays to the Tyne Valley line today, due to severe flooding and various other factors resulting in delayed and cancelled trains pretty much everywhere, I decided I'd have a little peak at Central Station to see what was there. Was just a few stations to Central from Heworth, so I just stood. An elderly gentleman who boarded at Gateshead Stadium was offered a seat by a young girl; he refused but thanked her, and a woman commented to him that the youth of today aren't all bad... Upon arrival at Central, I alighted and headed up to the railway station. 91111 was leaving with a Kings Cross-bound service, and I made my way across to the Thunderbird sidings. 67020 and 67026 were present, but were blocked by a Northern Rail 156 unit, which prevented a photo.

12:50 Metro 4016+4050 Central Station to Monument
Just a short one-stop hop to Monument from Central. I'm unsure why the station is announced as ''Central'', as visitors to the city could easily confuse this with the city centre, when in fact it is just the railway station. I certainly always call it ''Central Station'', unsure of others. Was a quick journey along to Monument, and marked my final Metro journey of the outing.

13:16 X31 5253 Newcastle Eldon Square to Stanley Bus Station
Ex-''Lime'' 4900 caught my attention operating the 53, so I caught up to it and stood outside of the doors in an attempt to get the driver's attention. He just shook his head at me, which was strange, as he was in service and had other passengers on board, and didn't move for another minute or two... I found myself hunting Stagecoach's ALX300s again, but gave up and decided to head back to Eldon Square to catch an X30 or X31 up to Stanley, then a 16/16A to Durham for the Christmas Market coaches. When I arrived at Eldon Square, I could see a ''Toon Link'' OmniCity on Percy Street, which came in on the X31 to Stanley. Sat at the nearside quadrant and put my earphones in, 5253 gave an extremely comfortable journey, and has to be one of the best OmniCities I've travelled on. 

14:00 16A 5287 Stanley Bus Station to Durham County Hall
After a spirited run up to Stanley, I arrived in the bus station to find ''Durham Diamond'' 5287 sat with a service to Durham. Naturally, rather than stick around, I opted to go with this. Done this route several times before, so it wasn't anything new to me. Aside from the new number, with all of my previous journeys being done under the 43/44/44A services, nothing was different. Recollecting back to when I used to give the Citaros a poor rating, I am now very fond of them and look forward to a journey on one. Thankfully, they will be around for many years to come, so we will still have some ''decent'' buses around. Very powerful Mercedes engine, as expected, and the vehicle didn't struggle at all with the route. In order to get some photos of the Christmas Market coaches at County Hall, I jumped off here and headed in to get some photos in the coach park. A variety of operators and coach types were present and I got a few shots before getting bored, and decided to head back to catch the next bus to the bus station in the city centre.

14:40 X12 1441 Durham County Hall to Durham Bus Station
Following a five minute wait in the wind, I was greeted with the sight of another Pulsar; my third today, and my second ''MAX'' example of the outing. Was just a short journey, the driver was a miserable sod who seemed completely unphased by anything. Only took a few minutes to get to the bus station, where I saw 7455 in the layover bays (it had passed me earlier on operating the X24, so I concluded that this was to be operating the 15:10 service). Opted to catch that home, allowing twenty minutes in Durham for some photos.

15:09 X24 7455 Durham Bus Station to Chester-le-Street Black Horse
Following a photo session, I headed into the bus station at 15:05 in order to catch the 15:10 X24. 7455 was still parked over in the layover bays, but it was soon moved and proceeded to do a loop of the bus station and returned with the destination set for the X24 to the MetroCentre. Was pleased to see that this had Civic V3 seating as opposed to dreadful Urban90s. Although it sounded rough when pulling out of it's stand in the bus station, it wasn't too bad when it got going, despite never getting above 45mph at all throughout my journey on it. Given my limited experience of the Lowlanders, I'm often willing to jump at the chance for a ride on one. I quite like them for a short journey such as Durham to Chester-le-Street, but I don't think I could tolerate them for any longer than that. I gather they were once used on the X18 as well...? Ouch. I alighted at the Black Horse and ended the day at this point, and walked home for 16:00. 

As usual, I had a great time out on an Explorer. I went in with no solid plan, and it provided a better outing on the whole as it allowed me to choose whatever and go with it. My next Explorer will be at some point in January, I've started to stop reviewing my Get Around adventures as there is never much of interest, but Explorers and outings further afield will always be given a review. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.

R852 PRG
Brilliant review as always, Marcus. Smile
Good review Marcus

certainly remember the 57 reg Lowlander's being used on Coast and Castles routes, but not sure which specific route or whether it just popped up on any of the C&C routes. Think 7455 is the one that is a bit flat, I recently got treated to 7456 on an evening X12 between Newcastle and Durham and it absolutely flew along the fast sections of the route, certainly put the DB300's to shame.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16