North East Buses

Full Version: R852 PRG's Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
(05 Jan 2016, 1:39 pm)Charles41 wrote [ -> ]I was thinking of getting the bus to Consett then walking over the moors along the old railway line to Stanhope if the weather improves. I'll probably get the 46 from Crook to Durham. Depending on the time I might have a look around Lees and Durham City Coaches at Langley Moor.

Charles

Quite a walk from Consett to Stanhope, but providing you're fit, then the views will make the trip worth it. Hope you have a good outing.

In other news; it looks like my B10 bash has been put on-hold, and I'm on yet another Explorer at the weekend (got to get rid of the Christmas money somehow), with Adrian. Aiming to get some photos in Sunderland early in the morning, then hopefully catch a Percy Main-based B10BLE on the 9 to North Shields, some photos there, followed by hopefully another Renown on the 17 to Wallsend, before heading to Newcastle for around midday and then bashing some Stagecoach ALX300s. With any luck; I may catch 9119 at some point in Newcastle, on the X21, as I'd like a better photo of it. Looking forward to Saturday. Smile
(05 Jan 2016, 6:19 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]Quite a walk from Consett to Stanhope, but providing you're fit, then the views will make the trip worth it. Hope you have a good outing.

In other news; it looks like my B10 bash has been put on-hold, and I'm on yet another Explorer at the weekend (got to get rid of the Christmas money somehow), with Adrian. Aiming to get some photos in Sunderland early in the morning, then hopefully catch a Percy Main-based B10BLE on the 9 to North Shields, some photos there, followed by hopefully another Renown on the 17 to Wallsend, before heading to Newcastle for around midday and then bashing some Stagecoach ALX300s. With any luck; I may catch 9119 at some point in Newcastle, on the X21, as I'd like a better photo of it. Looking forward to Saturday. Smile
I hope the weather improves for you...
(05 Jan 2016, 6:19 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]Quite a walk from Consett to Stanhope, but providing you're fit, then the views will make the trip worth it. Hope you have a good outing.

There Rail Replacement running if you want pictures.
(05 Jan 2016, 7:35 pm)DanPicken wrote [ -> ]There Rail Replacement running if you want pictures.

Forgotten about that actually, thanks for reminding me. Might just catch some at Central in the afternoon.
(05 Jan 2016, 7:45 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]Forgotten about that actually, thanks for reminding me. Might just catch some at Central in the afternoon.

No bother they run on the 9th/16th/23rd and maybe the 30th.
(05 Jan 2016, 7:56 pm)DanPicken wrote [ -> ]No bother they run on the 9th/16th/23rd and maybe the 30th.

Any ideas if it's local coach operators who operate the rail replacement services (given that it's just Newcastle-Darlington), or if any outside of the region are contracted?
(05 Jan 2016, 8:12 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]Any ideas if it's local coach operators who operate the rail replacement services (given that it's just Newcastle-Darlington), or if any outside of the region are contracted?

It's also to Hexham. I don't know if it's contracted, sorry.
(05 Jan 2016, 8:14 pm)DanPicken wrote [ -> ]It's also to Hexham. I don't know if it's contracted, sorry.

Ah yes, presumably because of the landslip recently? Haven't been following the recent events closely enough. Thanks anyway.
(05 Jan 2016, 8:15 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]Ah yes, presumably because of the landslip recently? Haven't been following the recent events closely enough. Thanks anyway.

Because of the possession being on the King Edward Bridge.
Saturday 9th January 2016

Having ceased to review my Get Around adventures in recent months, I've decided to review today's as it was such a great outing.

08:30 78 5338 Chester-le-Street Red Lion to Sunderland Park Lane Interchange
After waking to an 07:30 alarm, I checked my phone to be informed by Adrian that he was bailing on the Explorer we had planned for today, as he had strained his neck. Decided to head out regardless, although on just a Get Around, and see where I ended up. After leaving my house at bang-on 08:00, I walked along the banks of the River Wear, and through the Riverside Park, before weaving my way onto the Front Street at 08:25. Slightly different route to usual, but I fancied a change. I was also shown the effects of the recent weather, with lots of flooding around. On my walk, I decided I would catch the 08:33 78, as that was what I had planned to catch anyway, which I was overjoyed to see was in the hands of 5338; one of two former-Southern Vectis 06-plate Mercs that reside in the fleet. Certainly made a pleasant change from a Wright Streetlite, and handled the route faultlessly. An excellent ZF gearbox was present, and collaborated with the Mercedes 0530N engine, producing a great noise. Bus remained lightly loaded throughout the entire journey, which was an added bonus. An excellent start to the outing.

09:31 9 4911 Sunderland Park Lane Interchange to Jarrow Bus Station
After alighting in the interchange and then walking out of the bus station to get some photos, I didn't have long to wait until Deptford-based B10BLE 4911 appeared and entered into the stand for the 9. The driver turned the engine off, as he had almost ten minutes before being due out, and I took a few more photos before heading across five minutes prior to the 09:34 departure time. The driver greeted me and said good morning to me as I boarded, to which I happily returned. 4911 was one of the few Wright Renowns that I still needed for haulage prior to today, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to get it ticked off. Had the bus to myself until Fawcett Street, where three ''twirlies'' boarded. Not long after the Wheatsheaf area, the driver took a wrong turn, seemingly thinking he was on the 20/20A, and then informing us that he doesn't do the 9 very often, hence the error. Another enjoyable ride, and I was happy to have another Renown ticked off for haulage.

10:22 27 5312 Jarrow Bus Station to Newcastle Market Street East
Having jumped off 4911, I then located the shelter for the Newcastle-bound 27. Was hoping that I might strike oil and land another B10BLE, but alas, a ''Crusader'' branded Citaro came into the bus station. Fortunately, it was 5312, which was required for haulage, and so I was content with it for the journey through to Newcastle. My second Citaro of the day, so I tried to compare it to 5338. The gearbox and engine noise wasn't as great as in 5338, and it was quite sluggish when pulling away, so 5338 came out on top. Never sampled one of these on the 10, prior to the introduction into service of 6071-6083, and I think they'd be quite interesting. Can't imagine they'd struggle with the route itself, just the loading capacity being an issue with a single decker on such a popular and well-patroned route.

11:30 X30 3831 Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station to Stanley Bus Station
Dan informed me that a couple of Olympians had escaped out into service today, and I decided to catch 3830 on the 12:30 ''Northern'' 6 from Stanley to Newcastle, which would mean an X30/X31 up to Stanley, so after alighting 5312 on Market Street, I walked to Eldon Square to catch the next one; which I discovered on my arrival was due at 11:30. I had ten minutes to kill, and I then recognised a familiar face driving an ''Angel'' Hybrid on the next stand. An older man called Eddie, a long-serving driver at Chester-le-Street, who I hadn't seen in a few months. We had a quick catch-up, and he informed me of his dislike for the Streetlites, and how annoying it is when they cut out, turning all of the systems off. I was quite surprised he could remember me, given the break in contact. Our conversation was stopped short when I saw a ''Yellow Bus'' Olympian coming in with the X30. Quickly bade Eddie farewell, and noted that it was my favourite of the Olympians; 3831. Had the upper saloon entirely to myself which I was pleased about, and 3831 flew along the route. Sounding brilliant as it powered past the Tanfield Railway; my favourite section of the X30/X31 route.

12:26 6 3830 Stanley Bus Station to Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station
After arriving in Stanley at 12:05, I had over twenty minutes to kill until 3830 was expected. Photographed a couple of Citaros, 3831 leaving with a journey back to Newcastle, and then the extreme rarity of ''Red Kite'' 5413 operating the ''Coast & Country'' services. The fog was very low, so this allowed for some nice photos in some different weather conditions to usual. The time passed quite quickly, and before long, I heard the unmistakable sound of an Olympian approaching. Headed back into the bus station where I joined the short queue for the 6, the driver was an older Stanley driver of a different ethnic descent, who I recognised from my previous outings. Seems like a nice guy. After departing, with a few others on the top deck (managed to grab the offside front seats, with the great legroom), we made a long stop in Annfield Plain while the driver radioed control for a taxi, as we encountered a wheelchair user passenger. Most people jumped ship at the MetroCentre, and I had the entire bus to myself for the remaining journey through to Newcastle. Was overjoyed to have managed two Olympians today.

14:40 X21 9119 Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station to Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace
I was informed that Lolyne 3875 was operating the 14:55 X25, and after arriving in Newcastle at 14:05ish, I decided to stick around for that back to Chester-le-Street. Got a photo of 3831 re-entering Newcastle with another X30, and a charver gentleman (barely scrapes that word - more like scum) approached me in an aggressive manner, enquiring as to whether or not I was taking photographs on behalf of the Islamic State. Looked absolutely coked out of his mind, so unlike the fellow in Stockton last week, who again seemed to have an issue, I laughed it off and walked away. When I returned to the bus station, I saw Streetdeck demonstrator 9119 entering with the 14:35 service to Bishop Auckland. As I'd not yet rode it following it's transfer back to Crook to cover for 6021's withdrawal, I decided that 3875 would have to be for another day, and joined the queue for that. Did not recognise the driver, so I'm going on the assumption that he is the new driver at Crook, following Stu Gray's departure and pdiddy's consequent rise to power. The Daimler engine in the Streetdeck was quite nice, and sounded nicer than that of a Cummins in a Streetlite (which I shouldn't really say, given that my dad is a senior manager for Cummins!). Wasn't bad overall, although the driver lost about five minutes in Chester-le-Street because he began to converse with another driver. Quite annoying when you should be on the A167 to Durham and you're sat at the bottom of the Front Street...

Was home for around 15:30, having had a superb day out. Struck yellow twice, and managed another ride on the Streetdeck to see if anything had changed following it's extensive trial. Put simply: not much at all. Thanks for reading, and enjoy the rest of your weekend. Smile

R852 PRG
Good review, Marcus.
(09 Jan 2016, 7:58 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]Saturday 9th January 2016

12:26 6 3830 Stanley Bus Station to Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station
After arriving in Stanley at 12:05, I had over twenty minutes to kill until 3830 was expected. Photographed a couple of Citaros, 3831 leaving with a journey back to Newcastle, and then the extreme rarity of ''Red Kite'' 5413 operating the ''Coast & Country'' services. The fog was very low, so this allowed for some nice photos in some different weather conditions to usual. The time passed quite quickly, and before long, I heard the unmistakable sound of an Olympian approaching. Headed back into the bus station where I joined the short queue for the 6, the driver was an older Stanley driver of a different ethnic descent, who I recognised from my previous outings. Seems like a nice guy. After departing, with a few others on the top deck (managed to grab the offside front seats, with the great legroom), we made a long stop in Annfield Plain while the driver radioed control for a taxi, as we encountered a wheelchair user passenger. Most people jumped ship at the MetroCentre, and I had the entire bus to myself for the remaining journey through to Newcastle. Was overjoyed to have managed two Olympians today.

Was home for around 15:30, having had a superb day out. Struck yellow twice, and managed another ride on the Streetdeck to see if anything had changed following it's extensive trial. Put simply: not much at all. Thanks for reading, and enjoy the rest of your weekend. Smile

Marcus

You must have got off 3830 just before we caught it as the X71, then, just after 2pm.
(09 Jan 2016, 9:02 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]You must have got off 3830 just before we caught it as the X71, then, just after 2pm.

That's twice I've possibly encountered you then! Once on an OmniDekka from the MetroCentre to Newcastle, you were onboard with the rest of your family, although I didn't recognise who you were. Have to say I don't recall seeing a family queuing for the X71 when I jumped off, although I was scoping the bus station for any possible targets. Tongue
(09 Jan 2016, 9:30 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]That's twice I've possibly encountered you then! Once on an OmniDekka from the MetroCentre to Newcastle, you were onboard with the rest of your family, although I didn't recognise who you were. Have to say I don't recall seeing a family queuing for the X71 when I jumped off, although I was scoping the bus station for any possible targets. Tongue

It was just me and big'un, both times - though we were stood at the back of the station, pondering which bus to take home and legged it over when we saw which stand it was heading for.

So a 90 minute journey home turned into 3 hours, as we jumped straight off the Olympian at Consett onto a 78, which we'd been wanting to sample for a while. We changed onto one of the smelly old angels at Chester and got back onto our direct route, at that point.

I tend to be sporting the haggard bag lady look, lately. Big'un tends to be in orange, with his hood up.
Think I'll do an Explorer on Saturday. Struggling for ideas on what to aim for, however. I'm intent on getting a few Lowlanders cleared for photo and haulage, as they've been sentenced to death with the news of the upcoming arrival of some ex-London ALX400s. Could also do with a few Stagecoach in Newcastle ALX300s, as well as some photos of the diversions due to the East Coast Mainline being off between Darlington and Durham, although the last idea could easily wait for another day. If anybody has any suggestions, feel free to put them forward. Only place I won't be doing will be Teesside, as I've visited the place twice in the last month. As I always do with Explorers, it will be reviewed.
(11 Jan 2016, 6:26 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]Think I'll do an Explorer on Saturday. Struggling for ideas on what to aim for, however. I'm intent on getting a few Lowlanders cleared for photo and haulage, as they've been sentenced to death with the news of the upcoming arrival of some ex-London ALX400s. Could also do with a few Stagecoach in Newcastle ALX300s, as well as some photos of the diversions due to the East Coast Mainline being off between Darlington and Durham, although the last idea could easily wait for another day. If anybody has any suggestions, feel free to put them forward. Only place I won't be doing will be Teesside, as I've visited the place twice in the last month. As I always do with Explorers, it will be reviewed.

Not sure as to where you should go.

If you are wanting to ride the Y reg Lowlander's however, you're best bets are likely to be: 43, 46/48 and 56/57/57A/86.

Perhaps you could do something like:
46 Durham - Crook.
X1 Crook - Bishop Auckland.
56 Bishop Auckland - Ferryhill (or continue to Durham)
7 Ferryhill - Durham.
(Or the same services in reverse direction)

This suggestion doesn't seem like it would fill a massive amount of time, but you could maybe add a few other places to the day out. You could possibly get a few Rail Replacement Bus Services whilst you are in Durham as well.
(11 Jan 2016, 8:09 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Not sure as to where you should go.

If you are wanting to ride the Y reg Lowlander's however, you're best bets are likely to be: 43, 46/48 and 56/57/57A/86.

Perhaps you could do something like:
46 Durham - Crook.
X1 Crook - Bishop Auckland.
56 Bishop Auckland - Ferryhill (or continue to Durham)
7 Ferryhill - Durham.
(Or the same services in reverse direction)

This suggestion doesn't seem like it would fill a massive amount of time, but you could maybe add a few other places to the day out. You could possibly get a few Rail Replacement Bus Services whilst you are in Durham as well.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jimmi. Was thinking of maybe getting a few ALX300s (or possibly just some Stagecoach Enviro400s if one comes along) in Newcastle in the morning, then slowly making my way across to Durham by about lunchtime, then maybe having a quick ride to the likes of Ushaw Moor and back on the 43 or 48, in hopes of a Lowlander. Will have to just see how the day pans out, as I find Explorers are most enjoyable when there is no set plan, but a few listed aims.
(11 Jan 2016, 8:16 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]Thanks for the suggestion, Jimmi. Was thinking of maybe getting a few ALX300s (or possibly just some Stagecoach Enviro400s if one comes along) in Newcastle in the morning, then slowly making my way across to Durham by about lunchtime, then maybe having a quick ride to the likes of Ushaw Moor and back on the 43 or 48, in hopes of a Lowlander. Will have to just see how the day pans out, as I find Explorers are most enjoyable when there is no set plan, but a few listed aims.

You should be able to spot a Lowlander within about 20 minutes in Durham City Centre on at least one of the services listed. They can often pop up on the 49/49A as well.
(11 Jan 2016, 6:26 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]Think I'll do an Explorer on Saturday. Struggling for ideas on what to aim for, however. I'm intent on getting a few Lowlanders cleared for photo and haulage, as they've been sentenced to death with the news of the upcoming arrival of some ex-London ALX400s. Could also do with a few Stagecoach in Newcastle ALX300s, as well as some photos of the diversions due to the East Coast Mainline being off between Darlington and Durham, although the last idea could easily wait for another day. If anybody has any suggestions, feel free to put them forward. Only place I won't be doing will be Teesside, as I've visited the place twice in the last month. As I always do with Explorers, it will be reviewed.

Was going to suggest pretty much the same as Jimmi! You could do all that on an Arriva day ticket, too. We're probably doing similar, at the weekend, as I have my voucher to use and we haven't been that way since before Christmas.

The run out to Crook is a nice one. (And some of the street names are awesome). Unfortunately, the 43, 48 etc don't connect up so well, but you could grab yourself one of the maps and do a few there and back runs, if you see the right vehicle.

Take a cushion. Tongue
(11 Jan 2016, 8:23 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]You should be able to spot a Lowlander within about 20 minutes in Durham City Centre on at least one of the services listed. They can often pop up on the 49/49A as well.

Usually doesn't take that long for one to come into view when I'm in Durham, so I'll just stand and get some photos while the time passes for one to come along. That is if I don't get pre-occupied elsewhere, and don't end up in Durham at all.

(11 Jan 2016, 8:30 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]Was going to suggest pretty much the same as Jimmi! You could do all that on an Arriva day ticket, too. We're probably doing similar, at the weekend, as I have my voucher to use and we haven't been that way since before Christmas.

The run out to Crook is a nice one. (And some of the street names are awesome). Unfortunately, the 43, 48 etc don't connect up so well, but you could grab yourself one of the maps and do a few there and back runs, if you see the right vehicle.

Take a cushion. Tongue

I've yet to do Durham-Crook, I might save it for another outing, perhaps an Arriva-based one. I had a little look at some timetables, and the 43 and 48 both provide a 15-minute and 20-minute frequency respectably between Durham and Ushaw Moor before heading to Esh Winning and New Brancepeth. 

Re: the cushion. The only Y-reg Lowlander I've had (that I can recall!) was 7443 on the X24 one time, and I managed to get the back seats which were very soft and had a cushion base, unlike the Urban90s elsewhere on the bus. Think if it's just a short journey, I can hold out. Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16