North East Buses

Full Version: R852 PRG's Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Saturday 16th January 2016

My review of yesterday's outing:

09:07 X12 7610 Chester-le-Street Corals to Newcastle Eldon Square
I arrived on the Front Street at around 08:30, and decided to devote half an hour or so to taking photos, as I hadn't yet spent a lot of time in Chester-le-Street taking photos with my DSLR. During this time; I managed to get a decent photo of the Streetdeck, which was an aim I could tick off, as it had always avoided me, or any photo I'd tried to take beforehand would come out terrible. One of the long serving drivers was at the wheel of 5255, working the 08:51 to South Shields, and we conversed for a few minutes before he departed. Was happy to have the Streetdeck cleared for a photo, and when I saw a ''MAX'' Gemini making it's way down the Front Street, I decided to catch this through to Newcastle, and start my bashing from there. Luckily for me, it was 7610, which was required for haulage, having photographed but not rode on it since it's arrival at Belmont many months ago. Made my way upstairs and sat on the offside, a few rows behind the stairs. Loading was quite light, which isn't usually the case with the Pulsar-operated service I tend to catch an hour or half an hour before the 09:07, so that also made a pleasant change. 

09:52 X78 22073 Newcastle Eldon Square to Newcastle Airport
Upon arrival in Eldon Square, I had a little look around, before deciding to catch the next X78 up to the Airport. I was already of the understanding that this service would utilise one of Slatyford's ALX300s. One of the things I like so much about the ALX300s, stems from when I was little; whenever I got the bus (sometimes a Lolyne, Plaxton President, or a Spectra) through to Newcastle with my mother, I would see single deckers that looked quite happy. The eyes and the front panel formed a smile to my young mind, and it's something that I still see today. When it came in, I identified the bus as 22073. Made my way towards the rear, and sat on the offside, one row from the back. The seats in front of me had been graffitied, I'd be willing to bet the fine artwork of a charver. Loved the roar of the MAN engine as we powered along the route, and within twenty minutes, I could see the Airport coming up on the starboard side, so prepared to alight.

10:22 Metro 4041+4011 Airport to Kingston Park
After thanking the young female driver of 22073, I began to walk towards the Airport. I could see the Metro station, but couldn't quite work out where I could get into it from. Had to walk into the terminal building (remember, this was in fact my first visit to Newcastle Airport for the Metro, so was completely unaware of where to go), but quickly saw a Metro sign to my right, and followed it down into the Metro station. On the right platform; an empty set of Metrocars were sat awaiting their time to depart, 4041 was on the rear, with 4011 leading. I'd never sat at the front of a Metro before this, and so I quickly took the opportunity to do so while I had the chance. 4011 was completely empty for this journey, and it was only a few stops until Kingston Park, where I opted to alight in favour of another ALX300 back to Newcastle, on the X47.

10:45 X47 22411 Kingston Park Shopping Centre to Newcastle New Bridge Street
Having alighted the Metro and made my way across the road at the level crossing, I waited for about ten minutes in the freezing cold, for an X47 to come. I determined I must have just missed one as my Metro had came in, unless the service, on a ten minute frequency, often falls victim to traffic congestion, consequently sending the timetable out of the window. When the next one did appear, it was in the hands of 22411; one of the younger ALX300s in the Slatyford fleet. I hadn't been on the X47 in many months, in fact only one before. I can recall that on that journey, I rang my mother to ask her to select my chosen horse for the Grand National. It's a nice fast run, and the loading on this journey was pretty light, with about half a dozen other passengers on board in total. Once again, the roar of the MAN engine in this machine provided another musical journey.

11:25 X25 3875 Newcastle Eldon Square to Chester-le-Street Red Lion
When we arrived back in the city centre, I jumped off on New Bridge Street, and began to walk back to Eldon Square Bus Station; now intent on heading south, for some of Belmont's Lowlanders. Dan gave me a tip-off that Lolyne 3875 was operating the 11:25 out of Eldon Square, and so I decided to wait to catch that back to Chester-le-Street, then board something else further to Durham. Watched with excitement as 3875 came into the bus station, and I boarded to find enthusiast John Westmoorland was at the wheel. He greeted me as I showed him my Explorer, and I then made my way up the stairwell. I understand Lolynes have a hard time with enthusiasts. For me, it will be a sad day when the last one gets the bullet; as there has always been an allocation of them at Chester-le-Street depot throughout my life. Even when I've not been interested in buses, such as when I was at primary school, they have been present, roaming the Front Street in their numbers. As a result, I think it will be strange when I no longer see them out and about. Hopefully more B7TLs don't replace them... The journey back to Chester-le-Street was most enjoyable, with the snow across the hills of Eighton Banks providing a stunning backdrop as we glided through the hilly sections of the route. When we got to Chester-le-Street, I thanked John, and jumped ship.

12:12 X21 9119 Chester-le-Street Red Lion to Durham Bus Station
I looked around, and noticed that Gary Wheatley was Point Supervisor, so decided to go over and talk to him for a while. I rarely have the chance to talk to any of Chester-le-Street's staff these days, as I don't spend a lot of time there anymore, having started to enjoy my outings elsewhere. Only a select few recognise me when they see me; Gary being one of them. He asked me how I was getting on, and I observed him changeover 6022 with 5202 on the 12:10 X25 to Newcastle. I could see that 9119 was coming in with the late-running 12:05 X21 service to Bishop Auckland, so thanked Gary for his time before I made my way across to have another spin on the Streetdeck, having done so only last Saturday. Again, the interior was immaculate, and the somewhat reassuring sound of the Daimler engine provided a nice background noise. This may come as a shock to some, but I found the Streetdeck performed absolutely fine on the A167 between Chester-le-Street and Pity Me, with no real issues at all. I'd like to think Go North East might purchase 9119 to serve as a spare for the X21, but we'll have to wait and see...

13:09 46 7454 Durham Bus Station to Crook Market Place
Waited around for one of the Y-reg Lowlanders that were new to Belmont, part of the batch of 7436-7444 (minus 7441 and 7443, which have since been withdrawn). I watched the comings and goings in the bus station for around half an hour, noticing that the 46 service to Crook appeared to be a primary duty that the Lowlanders were sworn to. While an original Lowlander would have been preferable, I saw 7454 was operating the 13:10 to Crook, so I decided to board that. Turns out I made a good move, as, while I've heard 7456 is the best of the lot, 7454 flew along some of the long stretches of the route. I sat at the back, on the nearside, and enjoyed listening to the roaring VDL engine, and the soothing whistle of the retarder whenever we slowed down. I think that, when I do have a day devoted to bashing the Lowlanders, I'll consider the 46.

14:04 46 7477 Crook Market Place to Durham Bus Station
My first impression of Crook was not a pleasant one, as I saw a group of five charvers hanging around the bus station. Rather than just catch 7454 back to Durham, I decided to brave it and head into the local Co-Operative for some lunch, before then catching the next service back to Durham. With that done, I headed back over to the Market Place bus stops, and awaited the 14:05 service. While I had hoped for another Lowlander, be it Y-reg or 57-plate, I was somewhat disappointed when I saw Belmont's sole ALX400, 7477, appear. Nevertheless, I braved it, as I couldn't stand being in this bombsite any longer, and it was cold. Sounded rough, but it performed well. I gather there was some diversion on at Brandon, as the driver was advising passengers on this. Had never done the route before, so could not tell the difference.

15:09 X24 7609 Durham Bus Station to Chester-le-Street Black Horse
After arriving back into Durham Bus Station at 14:45, I spent a short while getting photos, and determined that the X24 was going to be 7609, as I could see it was the only decker in the layover bays. For many of my outings previously, I've decided to catch the 15:10 X24 back to Chester-le-Street, as there is always a chance of it throwing up something good, and it's usually pretty much deserted. While a Lowlander would have been a nice treat, I was left with 7609. The last time I used this service, it was in the hands of 7620, another ''MAX'' Gemini. Performed relatively well, although I can remember a time, before the days of the X24 being in the hands of Lowlanders and ALX400s, where some of Waddington Street's finest were allocated, in the form of Olympians. One of which was red in colour, and a Scania of some variant. Never really used it myself, but I can recall my first ride on an Arriva bus, on my own, was in the hands of said vehicle. Back in present day, I alighted 7609 at the Black Horse, and walked home from there, arriving just before 16:00.

Was an enjoyable outing overall, and I managed to get some good photos, as well as a few new haulages. Thanks for reading.

R852 PRG
Great review as always 

The diversion on the 46 was due to a burst water main in Langley Moor which certainly seemed to be causing problems with the 49/49A, saw three leave Durham within seconds of each other as I was arriving in Durham yesterday.

Surprised I didn't see you whilst I was in Durham yesterday afternoon as I arrived just after 12:45 on the 7, although I spent much of time in Durham yesterday afternoon hanging around by the Rail Station getting photos of coaches on Rail Replacement Services which is not something I'd normally do. Did see Jackamcardle though.
Great review as always 

The diversion on the 46 was due to a burst water main in Langley Moor which certainly seemed to be causing problems with the 49/49A, saw three leave Durham within seconds of each other as I was arriving in Durham yesterday.

Surprised I didn't see you whilst I was in Durham yesterday afternoon as I arrived just after 12:45 on the 7, although I spent much of time in Durham yesterday afternoon hanging around by the Rail Station getting photos of coaches on Rail Replacement Services which is not something I'd normally do. Did see Jackamcardle though.
(17 Jan 2016, 1:33 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Great review as always 

Thanks, Jimmi. I also saw 3 Solos leaving on runs to Brandon within seconds of each other, was confused as to what was going on. I need to get some photos of the rail replacement coaches, but my interests don't really involve independents. Only really the likes of Stanley Travel, JH Coaches and the other relatively big companies.
Currently contemplating an Explorer this Saturday. Thinking of heading up to Killingworth for the Nexus thing with Adrian, and then just bashing some city routes. Will just have to see how the day unfolds, but I'm currently spending most of my evenings this week revising for my German Speaking Exam on Friday, worth 15% of my final GCSE grade. Going to leave the idea of more Lowlanders in Durham for another time, and perhaps spend an entire day on an Arriva Day Ticket in a couple of weeks or so. Might head down to Darlington and get some of the Frequenta Solos cleared for haulage, and then return to Durham later on for some Lowlanders. Will just have to see how the outings play out. 

Back to that German revision...
(20 Jan 2016, 8:37 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]Currently contemplating an Explorer this Saturday. Thinking of heading up to Killingworth for the Nexus thing with Adrian, and then just bashing some city routes. Will just have to see how the day unfolds, but I'm currently spending most of my evenings this week revising for my German Speaking Exam on Friday, worth 15% of my final GCSE grade. Going to leave the idea of more Lowlanders in Durham for another time, and perhaps spend an entire day on an Arriva Day Ticket in a couple of weeks or so. Might head down to Darlington and get some of the Frequenta Solos cleared for haulage, and then return to Durham later on for some Lowlanders. Will just have to see how the outings play out. 

Back to that German revision...

Viel Glück!
(22 Jan 2016, 3:57 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]German exam did not go well at all, I'm afraid. I was fully prepared for the exam, with everything revised, and after giving up my lunchtimes and an hour after school each night throughout the week to go over stuff again and again. Was fairly confident when I walked into the office, and then about 2/3 of the way through, my mind just blanked and I couldn't remember the remaining parts. As the speaking exam has to last at least four minutes, and I only got up to two and a half, I didn't even get a grade, and was handed a ''U''. Devastated.

Despite this, I'm looking forward to my Explorer tomorrow, having had an absolutely crap week. Roll on Saturday.

Well damn amd bother. I hate it when that happens. And it happens to me often enough speaking English, never mind a foreign language.
(22 Jan 2016, 4:20 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]Well damn amd bother. I hate it when that happens. And it happens to me often enough speaking English, never mind a foreign language.

I agree, but sometimes these thing can't be prevented. I don't think it's a particularly good way of measuring a student's ability. On the plus side, I've got a resit on Tuesday, so will be more prepared for that in the case of something going wrong.
Went through with my Explorer as planned today, with Adrian. We ended up skipping that Nexus thing in Killingworth, here is a brief log and summary of the outing, as I don't think it's worth an in-depth review.

Saturday 23rd January 2016

#X25 - Chester-le-Street Corals to Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station - Go North East 3878
#X88 - Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station to Newcastle Etal Lane - Stagecoach North East 22024
#X88 - Newcastle Etal Road to Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station - Stagecoach North East 22024
#309 - Newcastle St. Mary's Place to Battle Hill Drive - Go North East 6102
#41 - Battle Hill Drive to Wallsend Metro Interchange - Go North East 566
#40 - Wallsend Metro Interchange to Newcastle Blackett Street - Stagecoach North East 12072
#27 - Newcastle Market Street to Heworth Metro Interchange - Go North East 5167
#4 - Heworth Metro Interchange to Concord Bus Station - Go North East 5360
#4 - Concord Bus Station to Washington Galleries Bus Station - Go North East 5364
#50 - Washington Galleries Bus Station to Chester-le-Street Red Lion - Go North East 5258
#21 - Chester-le-Street Red Lion to Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace - Go North East 3875

Left my house shortly after 08:00, and landed on the Front Street by 08:25. Annoyingly, I missed a photo of ''Sapphire'' 7521 on the 08:26 X12 to Durham, which is a Belmont run and commences from Birtley. I reached the foot of the Front Street and began taking some photos as I usually do, and observed 4929 arrive on the 08:40 Newcastle-bound X25. It soon became apparent that a passenger had taken ill, as an elderly man was slumped over in one of the forward seats, and an ambulance soon arrived. Crook's 6038, presumably at Chester-le-Street for maintenance, soon appeared with one of the Leading Drivers at the wheel, who took over the situation and allowed the driver of the 08:40, by this point in time running about fifteen minutes late, run light through to Newcastle and commence the journey from there as the 09:25 to Langley Park. Nothing else was out of the ordinary, until Lolyne 3878, my personal favourite of the handful left at Chester-le-Street depot, came into view with the 09:10 to Newcastle. Boarded and asked for an Explorer, the driver was quite pleasant, and then we set off on time. Superb journey behind one of the few vehicles in the active fleet that have spent their entire career at Chester-le-Street.

I met Adrian in Eldon Square Bus Station, after he arrived on ''Red Arrows'' 6053. He decided that our first move should be ALX300 22024 on the X88 to wherever, so we boarded that. After about ten minutes, we decided to alight at a place called Etal Lane. Managed to get a photo of similar 22078 heading in the opposite direction during our time there, and then caught 22024 back to Newcastle after it had terminated and turned around for the return journey. In my opinion, the sound made by the beastly German MAN engine in the ALX300s is fantastic. We opted to alight at the Barras Bridge and then walked over to the Five Swans for a Wetherspoons breakfast. It was nice and quiet, and we both enjoyed a breakfast before continuing with our outing. Next, we caught ''Cobalt Clipper'' 6102 on the 309 to Battle Hill Drive. Sat downstairs and watched the journey go by, before spending a while at Battle Hill, getting various photos, and then moved onto ''North Tyne Links'' MPD 566 on the 41 to Wallsend. I enjoy a ride on an MPD, providing they are in decent condition, as they have a warm feeling to them, especially the unrefurbished examples; the same logic applies to the Lolynes, with the examples in original condition being more favourable in my eyes. 

Upon arrival in Wallsend, we got some photos of the soon-to-be-binned MPDs, and Renown 4912 on the 17 (complete with the driver muttering some expletives under his breath at us). Got a nice photo but it was just a shame about the worthless sod sat at the wheel. Adrian had never tried one of Walkergate's Hybrid Enviro400s before, so we caught 12072 on the 40 to Newcastle. I'd never rated the Hybrid Enviro400s highly before, due to my previous experiences of them being crowded and in traffic, meaning I couldn't see them working at their best ability. We were on a very lightly loaded run, meaning we got to see 12072 flying along the route at a great speed. My opinion on them has definitely changed. After we arrived on Blackett Street, we walked down to Market Street for some photos, where I saw 5167 operating the next 27 to South Shields, so decided to bash it across to Heworth where we could get some photos, including hopefully one of the repainted ''Loop'' Solars.

We managed to get some good shots at Heworth, and headed down to the railway station to photograph Inverness-bound 1S13, operated by 43367 ''Deltic 50'' and 43310. Next up was ''Connections4'' Citaro 5360, initially to Washington Galleries, but we decided to bail at Concord for a photo of repainted ''Red Arrow'' 6003 on the 82. After this was accomplished, we boarded 5364 for the onwards journey to Washington, where we parted ways and I caught the 15:39 50 service back to Chester-le-Street, in the hands of 5258 and one of the newer drivers at Chester-le-Street. According to one of my friends who works in the engineering department at the depot, 5258 is regarded as the most reliable bus in the depot, reportedly having never broken down since it's arrival at the depot in early 2014. Was a smooth journey, despite the driver taking an incorrect turn, having wrongly assumed he was on the 8, as opposed to the 50. When I arrived back in Chester-le-Street, I got a photo of 3869, which was parked up doing absolutely nothing, and then was surprised to see Lolyne 3875 appear with the next 21 for Durham, so I photographed that before boarding it as the 16:00 to Durham, alighting shortly afterwards at my local stop, walking home for 16:30.

Was an enjoyable outing all in all, despite not really milking the Explorer to the best of my ability, as what we covered could have easily been done on a Get Around. Nevertheless, I accumulated a good number of photographs, and managed two rides on both 3878 and 3875, which I was very happy about as, as I've explained before, I have a thing for the Lolynes. Thanks for reading. Smile

R852 PRG
(26 Jan 2016, 9:26 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]Decided to go against this original plan and just stay local this Saturday, as I've got a few weeks to sort out the stuff over in Hexham, and instead I'm just going to stay local I think. Might try and get some of Chester-le-Street's Lolynes if they're out, and I might try and get a photo of the Nightingale Coaches Streetlite on the 28C. Could try and get some shots of the ''Coast & Country'' Streetlites in some new locations as well, such as climbing South Pelaw Bank or on Pelton Lane between South Pelaw and Pelton villages. Will have to see how things unfold, but it will be interesting nevertheless.

There's also the 8 at Beamish although it might be better waiting for the 128 to start.
Looking forward to my outing tomorrow, I'm intending to just stay fairly local, and I'm leaving Hexham for another day, most likely at some point over the new couple of weeks as I'd like some photos of the MPDs before they go (already let 555 and 561 go - although they may hopefully still be parked up at the depot when I finally get there). Might start by having a walk along to Chester-le-Street depot for some photos of stuff leaving, and then head along to the Front Street for some photos (as is now common practice) and just see where I end up. I've noticed the weather has been quite nice during the week, although the wind for the past couple of days hasn't been great. I intend to utilise the assistance of either Dan or citaro5284 in finding where 4926 is, given that it is on loan to Stanley. May just give a description of the outing as opposed to a full-on review. Hopefully will be a good outing.
(29 Jan 2016, 6:12 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]Looking forward to my outing tomorrow, I'm intending to just stay fairly local, and I'm leaving Hexham for another day, most likely at some point over the new couple of weeks as I'd like some photos of the MPDs before they go (already let 555 and 561 go - although they may hopefully still be parked up at the depot when I finally get there). Might start by having a walk along to Chester-le-Street depot for some photos of stuff leaving, and then head along to the Front Street for some photos (as is now common practice) and just see where I end up. I've noticed the weather has been quite nice during the week, although the wind for the past couple of days hasn't been great. I intend to utilise the assistance of either Dan or citaro5284 in finding where 4926 is, given that it is on loan to Stanley. May just give a description of the outing as opposed to a full-on review. Hopefully will be a good outing.

Might have to find it also.
(29 Jan 2016, 6:12 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]Looking forward to my outing tomorrow, I'm intending to just stay fairly local, and I'm leaving Hexham for another day, most likely at some point over the new couple of weeks as I'd like some photos of the MPDs before they go (already let 555 and 561 go - although they may hopefully still be parked up at the depot when I finally get there). Might start by having a walk along to Chester-le-Street depot for some photos of stuff leaving, and then head along to the Front Street for some photos (as is now common practice) and just see where I end up. I've noticed the weather has been quite nice during the week, although the wind for the past couple of days hasn't been great. I intend to utilise the assistance of either Dan or citaro5284 in finding where 4926 is, given that it is on loan to Stanley. May just give a description of the outing as opposed to a full-on review. Hopefully will be a good outing.
561 is parked up at Riverside.
(29 Jan 2016, 7:45 pm)Davie wrote [ -> ]561 is parked up at Riverside.

Thanks for the information, although between the time of my original post and your reply, I had been made aware of this.
Had an enjoyable outing today, on a Get Around day ticket. A log is below:

Saturday 30th January 2016

#X25 - Chester-le-Street Corals to Gateshead Transport Interchange - Go North East 3878
#X25 - Gateshead Transport Interchange to Chester-le-Street Red Lion - Go North East 3869
#8 - Chester-le-Street South Burns to Stanley Bus Station - Go North East 5408
#8 - Stanley Bus Station to Chester-le-Street South Burns - Go North East 5408
#28A - Chester-le-Street South Burns to West Pelton Twizell Road Ends - Go North East 4929
#8 - West Pelton Twizell Road Ends to Pelton Bridge - Go North East 5404
#8 - Pelton Bridge to Chester-le-Street South Burns - Go North East 5402

Started off by leaving my house at 07:30, it was still slightly dark but it had lightened up by 08:00, when my walk to Chester-le-Street depot finished. I observed the goings on, and photographed a few buses leaving the depot, before walking to the Front Street for 08:15. Spent just short of an hour getting some photos of stuff passing through, before I sighted Dennis Trident 3878 operating the 09:10 X25 service to Newcastle. I'd caught 3878 on the exact same journey last Saturday, but as it was a Lolyne and I had no real idea of where I was going today anyway, I decided to catch it through to Gateshead and get some photos on West Street for a while. The ticket machine had been playing up last week, so I was somewhat annoyed to see that it was on this occasion as well. When the machine had finally printed my ticket (after wasting at least a full roll of tickets!), I headed upstairs and enjoyed the journey through to Gateshead.

After alighting, I received a tip-off from citaro5284 that 3869 was on the board behind 3878, so I opted to remain in Gateshead for a while and catch 3869 back to Chester-le-Street. The wind was horrible and it was bitterly cold, but I was persistent on West Street, and then headed back into Gateshead Interchange at 10:25 to catch the 10:35 X25 back. 3869 rounded the corner and I boarded; 3869 isn't a personal favourite of mine, but it's still a Lolyne and provides a good journey. It went into limp mode on it's way up Old Durham Road, topping around 10mph at the very most, was quite worrying how slow it was going, I thought it was about to overheat at one point as the driver had his foot on the floor. Bus slowly began to get busy after Wrekenton, and we arrived back in Chester-le-Street a few minutes late at 11:11. 

I looked around and couldn't decide exactly where to go next. I was intending on heading to West Pelton for a photo of the 28C, and also paying a visit to my grandparents' grave in Pelton, so I decided to go with the latter first as I saw a Coast & Country Streetlite coming in on the 8 for Stanley. I joined the queue to board, and noticed the driver was a man called Alan; he used to take me to school a lot on the 21, as I used to always catch the 08:10 21 from the Black Horse, the duty of which was a part of a 4 day rota (where a driver works 4 days for 12 hours, and then has 4 days off, in that cycle). As I showed him my Get Around, he asked me if I knew the route for the 8 as he hadn't done it in absolutely ages, following a period of being off for 2 months and only driving the 8 one Saturday every 16 weeks to begin with. I happily obliged and stood at the front of the bus, guiding him correctly up to Stanley Bus Station with 5408, the journey went without any issues (although he doubted me when I told him he had to go into Beamish Museum), and stayed on for the return journey to Chester-le-Street. I thanked Alan for his company and alighted at South Burns, while he carried on to Sunderland on his own.

Decided that my next move would be to West Pelton for a photo of the 28C, and so I stuck around and waited for the 12:32 28A there. Ben Stoves came in with 4929, and his relief driver arrived a short while later. This guy was a miserable old prick, who often used to snarl and mutter under his breath whenever I boarded his bus (FOR NO REASON!). I can vividly recall, when 4837-39 and 4844 were based at Chester-le-Street, I had one of them on the 71 (along with him) and when I pressed the bell twice (as the ''stopping'' sign had not illuminated the first time) he made a snide comment as I disembarked. The ZF gearbox in 4929 sounded superb as we pulled out of the town centre, although we never got beyond 30mph, either the driver was just being awkward or the bus was incredibly slow. 

When we got to West Pelton, I got off and managed a photo of the Nightingale Streetlite before then catching 5404 on the 12:58 8 service to Pelton Bridge. I went into the church grounds and paid my respects before then having a wander through the estate that my late grandad resided in. It hadn't changed much since his passing. Then, I caught 5402 on the 13:33 8 back to Chester-le-Street. I sat next to the emergency door and was disappointed to see how violently the emergency door was rattling, you'd have thought the bus was about a year from retirement, not 2/3 of a year old. When I arrived back in Chester-le-Street, I decided to call it a day and walked home. It was a great outing overall, thanks for reading the review.

R852 PRG
Currently not sure of what I am doing next Saturday, although there are two current options: I can head to Hexham for photos of the MPDs before they go, or stay local again and do a few trips with Ben Stoves (a Chester-le-Street driver and enthusiast), and postpone Hexham again. Both would be a Get Around day ticket. 

Only got two more weeks of school before I'm off for a week, and I'm unsure of what I'm going to do during the available days I have then. I believe the current plan is to do the Cumbrian Coast Class 37s on Saturday 13th February, with Adrian. I will be staying local on Saturday 20th as my father is on a business trip, and in that instance it is procedure to not go far, so Hexham may have to be postponed even further if I do the Cumbrian Coast with Adrian on the 13th as is currently planned. Will just have to see how things play out, but my next few trips over the next month or so will revolve around the aforementioned things. Looking forward to them.
Just a suggestion here, make of it what you will; why don't you go somewhere in the South Tyneside area or go around bashing some Arriva buses?
(31 Jan 2016, 3:38 pm)Davie wrote [ -> ]Just a suggestion here, make of it what you will; why don't you go somewhere in the South Tyneside area or go around bashing some Arriva buses?

I may do something like that in March, as I need some photos of stuff in South Shields and Jarrow. However, before that, I need to spend a day on an Arriva Day Ticket sorting out the Lowlanders in Durham before they are withdrawn. Ideally, I'd start early and head down to Darlington in the morning to get some rides and photos of the Frequenta Solos (which is something I've been putting off for a long time now, so the sooner it is out of the way, the better) and then return to Durham for around midday and start with the Lowlanders. The 46 to Crook and back was a nice journey that doesn't take too long and has a frequency of every 20 minutes, it seemed to be a haven for the Lowlanders so I will watch out for that. So much to do; so little time.
(31 Jan 2016, 3:48 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]I may do something like that in March, as I need some photos of stuff in South Shields and Jarrow. However, before that, I need to spend a day on an Arriva Day Ticket sorting out the Lowlanders in Durham before they are withdrawn. Ideally, I'd start early and head down to Darlington in the morning to get some rides and photos of the Frequenta Solos (which is something I've been putting off for a long time now, so the sooner it is out of the way, the better) and then return to Durham for around midday and start with the Lowlanders. The 46 to Crook and back was a nice journey that doesn't take too long and has a frequency of every 20 minutes, it seemed to be a haven for the Lowlanders so I will watch out for that. So much to do; so little time.
In the school holiday's, could you do a Northumberland day out?
(31 Jan 2016, 4:11 pm)Davie wrote [ -> ]In the school holiday's, could you do a Northumberland day out?

I've been intending to do something like that for a while, as I haven't been to Northumberland in a good few months. I'm in need of photos of the B7TL MAX Geminis as well as some of the recent Blyth repaints, but that may be on hold for a while. I've also got the 128 to keep in mind, as I'd like to get a photo of that on the day it's re-introduced in March. We'll just have to see how things play out.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16