North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East March 2023 changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
26 Mar 2023

PB0003954/1224
Cancellation GO NORTH EAST LIMITED 71 (71) Chester-le-Street Seaham

--------
Variation:

PB0003954/686
Variation GO NORTH EAST LIMITED 58 (58, X58) Follingsby Amazon Newcastle

PB0003954/801
Variation GO NORTH EAST LIMITED 20 (20, 20A) Durham Sunderland

PB0003954/795
Variation GO NORTH EAST LIMITED 65 (65) Seaham Durham
(10 Feb 2023, 6:06 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]26 Mar 2023

PB0003954/1224

--------
Variation:

PB0003954/686

PB0003954/801

PB0003954/795

another bus that i get to college slashed, it’s becoming a joke now. Undecided
(10 Feb 2023, 6:09 pm)ALavery wrote [ -> ]another bus that i get to college slashed, it’s becoming a joke now. Undecided

The 71 is a Durham County Council secured service.

If Go North East has cancelled it, it suggests that the service has not been ‘slashed’, but the contract awarded to another operator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(10 Feb 2023, 6:50 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]The 71 is a Durham County Council secured service.

If Go North East has cancelled it, it suggests that the service has not been ‘slashed’, but the contract awarded to another operator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if an operator who can lay claim to having the youngest fleet in the North East have been awarded the contract?
Go north east should have the 71, they have the only chance of making it any money.
(10 Feb 2023, 7:32 pm)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]Go north east should have the 71, they have the only chance of making it any money.
They had it for years on an at least part commercial basis and failed to do so, and is why it ended up becoming fully secured.

Its not really a well-used service between Seaham and Houghton, but its the only service to a lot of what it serves. The Houghton to Chester leg tends to be better, but it doesn't help running so close to the 78.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
(10 Feb 2023, 6:06 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]26 Mar 2023

PB0003954/1224

--------
Variation:

PB0003954/686

PB0003954/801

PB0003954/795
20A and 65 could be interworking at Durham
(10 Feb 2023, 7:58 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]They had it for years on an at least part commercial basis and failed to do so, and is why it ended up becoming fully secured.

Its not really a well-used service between Seaham and Houghton, but its the only service to a lot of what it serves. The Houghton to Chester leg tends to be better, but it doesn't help running so close to the 78.

Who else is going to give it a better chance?
Gateshead central taxis white bus same as 204 will be the 71 operator I bet
(10 Feb 2023, 7:58 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]They had it for years on an at least part commercial basis and failed to do so, and is why it ended up becoming fully secured.

Imagine killing a route with timetables and pricing, being convinced it would work, doing the same thing over and over again and then having the taxpayer bail them out... Who makes these decisions?
(11 Feb 2023, 11:24 am)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Imagine killing a route with timetables and pricing, being convinced it would work, doing the same thing over and over again and then having the taxpayer bail them out... Who makes these decisions?

Bigger problem with Timetables is when you have two services of a similar route following each other within few minutes such as the 28B/81 through Low Fell (Chowdene Bank) towards Gateshead/Newcastle on an evening then having no service for an hour repeating the same cycle throughout the evening which benefits absolutely nobody in which you then see operators claiming services are not viable, well this is the reason why.

When you look at the 71/78 on the other hand the services are evenly split departing Chester-Le-Street towards Great Lumley at a frequency of every 17-20 minutes as the 71 comes at xx:42 and the 78 is xx:25/xx:55 mins past the hour, I think the main issue for the 71 towards Seaham is it doesn't really serve anywhere of great significance and mainly serves estates highly populated by the elderly so in turn doesn't make much money either and from Seaham you either extend to either Sunderland or Peterlee which duplicates services further to the benefit of nobody.

From looking at timetables you could merge the 29/71 into one route as the as the 71's arrive into Chester at xx:35 and the 29 departs at xx:43 for Newcastle in the opposite direction the 29 arrives into Chester at xx:36 and the 71 departs at xx:42 both of which are ran on behalf of Nexus/Durham County Council a lot more sustainable to be ran on a commercial basis. 

Currently the 28/29 interwork to facilitate the above change i'd then have the 25/28 interwork at Chester-Le-Street as both like the example above arrive within 10 minutes of each other and would give drivers a short break which benefits them.
(11 Feb 2023, 6:53 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Bigger problem with Timetables is when you have two services of a similar route following each other within few minutes such as the 28B/81 through Low Fell (Chowdene Bank) towards Gateshead/Newcastle on an evening then having no service for an hour repeating the same cycle throughout the evening which benefits absolutely nobody in which you then see operators claiming services are not viable, well this is the reason why.

When you look at the 71/78 on the other hand the services are evenly split departing Chester-Le-Street towards Great Lumley at a frequency of every 17-20 minutes as the 71 comes at xx:42 and the 78 is xx:25/xx:55 mins past the hour, I think the main issue for the 71 towards Seaham is it doesn't really serve anywhere of great significance and mainly serves estates highly populated by the elderly so in turn doesn't make much money either and from Seaham you either extend to either Sunderland or Peterlee which duplicates services further to the benefit of nobody.

From looking at timetables you could merge the 29/71 into one route as the as the 71's arrive into Chester at xx:35 and the 29 departs at xx:43 for Newcastle in the opposite direction the 29 arrives into Chester at xx:36 and the 71 departs at xx:42 both of which are ran on behalf of Nexus/Durham County Council a lot more sustainable to be ran on a commercial basis. 

Currently the 28/29 interwork to facilitate the above change i'd then have the 25/28 interwork at Chester-Le-Street as both like the example above arrive within 10 minutes of each other and would give drivers a short break which benefits them.
I think the 71 being added onto the 29 would be a good idea.
(11 Feb 2023, 6:53 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Bigger problem with Timetables is when you have two services of a similar route following each other within few minutes such as the 28B/81 through Low Fell (Chowdene Bank) towards Gateshead/Newcastle on an evening then having no service for an hour repeating the same cycle throughout the evening which benefits absolutely nobody in which you then see operators claiming services are not viable, well this is the reason why.

Personally if were talking about working in partnerships with GNE then something like the below would be better imo:

8 - Sunderland Docks to Birtley - Current 38 Sunderland Docks to Sunderland, 8 Sunderland to Picktree Lane, Picktree Lane, 82 to Birtley only (Every 30 Minutes Daytime, Hourly Sundays / Evenings)
77 - Stanley to Seaham - Current 8 Stanley to Chester Le Street, 71 to Seaham (Every 30 Minutes, Stanley to Houghton Le Spring, Hourly to Seaham - Every Hour, Stanley to Houghton Evenings / Sundays)
77/78 - Every 15 Minutes. Great Lumley to Stanley
25 - Hourly Evenings

8 Stagecoach Extension / 38 / 71 / 81 / 81A / 82 / 83 - Withdrawn

It would also fix the complete mess with the 8 / 25 / 81 / 81A / 82 / 83 farce in Birtley / Washington / Sunderland.

Nothing to do with the Operator thou, they are contracted to operate the timetable that they are given.
(11 Feb 2023, 7:30 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Nothing to do with the Operator thou, they are contracted to operate the timetable that they are given.

And prior to that, when they had free reign over the timetable? What was the excuse then?
(10 Feb 2023, 11:11 pm)Acky81 wrote [ -> ]Gateshead central taxis white bus same as 204 will be the 71 operator I bet
Have a feeling it could be Weardale, would be ideal for the 71 and 725 to Interwork at Chester-le-Street
What happened with the 25 is a real shame it went from needing a double decker every 30 mins 6am-11pm to a minibus every 60 mins 8-7pm
(11 Feb 2023, 7:30 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Nothing to do with the Operator thou, they are contracted to operate the timetable that they are given.

Just admitting the operator neglects it passengers right there by not going back to the likes of Nexus with a suggestions of an alternate timetable that would improve bus services locally after it's won a contract.

(11 Feb 2023, 8:35 pm)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]What happened with the 25 is a real shame it went from needing a double decker every 30 mins 6am-11pm to a minibus every 60 mins 8-7pm

Another service neglected by Go North East, no doubt it's defenders on here will blame Covid-19, National Driver Shortage and Martijn Gilbert for it's failings because the operator is never to blame.
(11 Feb 2023, 10:56 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Just admitting the operator neglects it passengers right there by not going back to the likes of Nexus with a suggestions of an alternate timetable that would improve bus services locally after it's won a contract.

Another service neglected by Go North East, no doubt it's defenders on here will blame Covid-19, National Driver Shortage and Martijn Gilbert for it's failings because the operator is never to blame.
I feel like it died because of the length as well, it used to go from Wrekenton  Non-Stop to Newcastle now it goes all over the place. 

It gets close to a two hour route, and no one wants to be on a bus for two hours to Newcastle.
(12 Feb 2023, 8:52 am)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]I feel like it died because of the length as well, it used to go from Wrekenton  Non-Stop to Newcastle now it goes all over the place. 

It gets close to a two hour route, and no one wants to be on a bus for two hours to Newcastle.

It was never non stop from Wrekenton to Newcastle - it also stopped at QE Hospital and Gateshead.

And from what I can see it’s not a ‘two hour bus route’, nor has it ever been.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22