You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015
(12 May 2015, 5:20 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote Is it about time that the Diamond Citaros got a retrim? Some of 5284's (Sorry!) seats were going floppy and are all worn down.

I was thinking this not long ago. It'll be their 7th or 8th year in service, so a mid-life refurbishment should be on the cards soon? Having said that though, there'd be the 07 batch to do first. 

Do GNE still carry out mid-life refurbs even?? 
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(12 May 2015, 4:12 pm)Andreos1 wrote I still don't think it would be suitable, if only because of the current road infrastructure.

Unless something was changed and some sort of traffic junction introduced (along with moving the bus stop), then the buses could be queuing to get in and out.
Picktree Lane can be bad, but at least the traffic is usually at a crawl or standstill come rush hour.

That stretch of Durham Road, can be constantly flowing with traffic.
It is bad enough getting out of Dorset Avenue, Barley Mow shops or Chip Shop car park in a car, never mind getting out of Carcraft in a bus.

Most likely plonk a traffic light junction outside of the place, I'm amazed something similar wasn't done at Riverside, though I do notice a number of vehicles tend to come in from the roundabout at the Coach Park and go around past Costco.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(12 May 2015, 4:12 pm)Andreos1 wrote I still don't think it would be suitable, if only because of the current road infrastructure.

Unless something was changed and some sort of traffic junction introduced (along with moving the bus stop), then the buses could be queuing to get in and out.
Picktree Lane can be bad, but at least the traffic is usually at a crawl or standstill come rush hour.

That stretch of Durham Road, can be constantly flowing with traffic.
It is bad enough getting out of Dorset Avenue, Barley Mow shops or Chip Shop car park in a car, never mind getting out of Carcraft in a bus.

I don't think traffic flow on Durham Road is an issue as access and egress at peak times is minimal due to buses needing to be out in service. Most run outs are completed by 07:15 before peak traffic and the majority of buses return 19:00 onwards.
The exceptions being a few standalone Scholars, NX services and replacements for in service vehicles. It is common in the industry to have depots on main roads due to the majority of vehicle movements being outside of peak times examples being Sunderland Road, Riverside, Shield Road (Walkergate) & Stamfordham Road.
I actually live just around the corner from Carcraft and I honestly don't think traffic is an issue any more. You will find that most people now tend too turn off and go up Vigo Lane and along the top instead of just chugging along through Birtley at 20mph.

The worst possible place GNE could place a new depot is the old BOC site. I used to see lorry's sitting there for at least 10 minuets at times trying to get out.
P.S - If anyone I know is going to the Red Kite launch and there is any branded merchandise, I'd appreciate it if you could get me some. Cheers
(13 May 2015, 12:21 am)GMitchelhill wrote Most likely plonk a traffic light junction outside of the place, I'm amazed something similar wasn't done at Riverside, though I do notice a number of vehicles tend to come in from the roundabout at the Coach Park and go around past Costco.

Suppose there is the roundabout like you say at Riverside and the traffic lights, just along from the other junction with Handy Drive.
Those lights will slow the traffic right down.

If they stick in lights at Barley Mow, I wonder how they would be controlled. It would be very frustrating sitting on a red, if nowt is coming out of the Carcraft site.

(13 May 2015, 4:57 am)GuyParkRoyal wrote I don't think traffic flow on Durham Road is an issue as access and egress at peak times is minimal due to buses needing to be out in service. Most run outs are completed by 07:15 before peak traffic and the majority of buses return 19:00 onwards.
The exceptions being a few standalone Scholars, NX services and replacements for in service vehicles. It is common in the industry to have depots on main roads due to the majority of vehicle movements being outside of peak times examples being Sunderland Road, Riverside, Shield Road (Walkergate) & Stamfordham Road.

(13 May 2015, 6:01 am)leestransportphotos wrote I actually live just around the corner from Carcraft and I honestly don't think traffic is an issue any more. You will find that most people now tend too turn off and go up Vigo Lane and along the top instead of just chugging along through Birtley at 20mph.

The worst possible place GNE could place a new depot is the old BOC site. I used to see lorry's sitting there for at least 10 minuets at times trying to get out.

To be honest, even outside of peaks, the traffic can be heavy during the day.

Obviously it will vary - so early on in the morning,  less so.

Noticeably different when there has been a bump on the bypass. Even early on in the morning!

Coming out of Dobies or the petrol station and heading south can be an experience.
Often easier turning north and doing some sort of turn further up the road and come back on yourself.

When the roundabout was installed at the bottom of Vigo Lane (outside the Barley Mow Inn) it made a massive difference to the old T-junction that was there.
The queue of traffic trying to get onto Durham Road, would often be way back towards the club. That was circa 30 years ago. The number of cars on the road has increased since then.

I personally think the rumoured Drum Ind Est, would have been more suitable, particularly with the junction improvements on the A693.

I think the BOC site has been earmarked for housing.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(13 May 2015, 7:48 am)Andreos1 wrote Suppose there is the roundabout like you say at Riverside and the traffic lights, just along from the other junction with Handy Drive.
Those lights will slow the traffic right down.

If they stick in lights at Barley Mow, I wonder how they would be controlled. It would be very frustrating sitting on a red, if nowt is coming out of the Carcraft site.

To be honest, even outside of peaks, the traffic can be heavy during the day.

Obviously it will vary - so early on in the morning,  less so.

Noticeably different when there has been a bump on the bypass. Even early on in the morning!

Coming out of Dobies or the petrol station and heading south can be an experience.
Often easier turning north and doing some sort of turn further up the road and come back on yourself.

When the roundabout was installed at the bottom of Vigo Lane (outside the Barley Mow Inn) it made a massive difference to the old T-junction that was there.
The queue of traffic trying to get onto Durham Road, would often be way back towards the club. That was circa 30 years ago. The number of cars on the road has increased since then.

I personally think the rumoured Drum Ind Est, would have been more suitable, particularly with the junction improvements on the A693.

I think the BOC site has been earmarked for housing.

by placing sensors on the tarmac next to the lights, so the lights will know when their is a vehicle waiting, been done at most traffic lights except a few, ie prospect lights etc.. etc..

Marxista Fozzski
(12 May 2015, 3:47 pm)Davie wrote I wonder if the rumour that Stanley, Washington and Chester Le Street depots will be combined into 1 could be true  then
Hasn't that been rumoured for years now
(13 May 2015, 7:56 am)cbma06 wrote by placing sensors on the tarmac next to the lights, so the lights will know when their is a vehicle waiting, been done at most traffic lights except a few, ie prospect lights etc.. etc..
They should do that at Dalton Park, put a sensor in the bus loop, as soon as a bus enters it, the lights would go Red, I have heard drivers(both GNE and ANE) say it for years
(13 May 2015, 6:05 am)leestransportphotos wrote P.S - If anyone I know is going to the Red Kite launch and there is any branded merchandise, I'd appreciate it if you could get me some. Cheers

You selling all the stuff on eBay or something bloody hell hahaha  Tongue
(13 May 2015, 12:29 pm)Michael wrote New money saving tickets for North Tyneside

http://www.simplygo.com/news/northtyne

(13 May 2015, 12:38 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Not bad that considering the same ticket was £3.00 back in 2006 - 2007. 

Assuming the prices on this link (http://www.simplygo.com/route-savers/) are correct, some fares are increasing.
(13 May 2015, 12:29 pm)Michael wrote New money saving tickets for North Tyneside

http://www.simplygo.com/news/northtyne

(13 May 2015, 12:38 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Not bad that considering the same ticket was £3.00 back in 2006 - 2007. 

I notice the blurb states unlimited travel is permitted on Nexus service 353 as well. 

Seems like a decently priced ticket which allows travel on GNE operated services between Blyth and Kingston Park.
(13 May 2015, 2:53 pm)Tom wrote Michael, the link doesn't work.

Well it was working, seems GNE have took the page off completely. 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(13 May 2015, 8:41 am)MrFozz wrote Hasn't that been rumoured for years now
They should do that at Dalton Park, put a sensor in the bus loop, as soon as a bus enters it, the lights would go Red, I have heard drivers(both GNE and ANE) say it for years

Yep, I wonder if it will happen now
Olympian 3832s rear destination display is frozen on 'NOT IN SERVICE' and President 3887s gear changes are very violent. Had it both Monday nit and tonight and nothing had changed.
(13 May 2015, 2:55 pm)Michael wrote Well it was working, seems GNE have took the page off completely[Image: arrow-10x10.png]

How much was the ticket and what was it's validity if you remember? Smile
(13 May 2015, 4:14 pm)Tom wrote How much was the ticket and what was it's validity if you remember? Smile

Can't remember but it was replacing the "Coaster" tickets and a different route. 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(13 May 2015, 4:22 pm)Michael wrote Can't remember but it was replacing the "Coaster" tickets[Image: arrow-10x10.png] and a different route. 

Ah right cheers Smile
(13 May 2015, 4:14 pm)Tom wrote How much was the ticket and what was it's validity if you remember? Smile

From memory £3.90.

£3.90 and valid on the 309/310, 19 (within NT boundary), 1 (North of the Tyne), Nexus Services, 17, 9 (North of the Tyne) etc

Basically all NT services, within NT - except those which have competition, where it extends a little further.