Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (25) Previous 123 24 25 Next
31 May 2015, 5:49 pm #461
(31 May 2015, 5:44 pm)Kuyoyo I can't say anything until I have it confirmed - but from what I've heard, Durham and Ashington may be having a modern standard-specification decker swap before the 6 goes Sapphire so all Sapphire deckers in the region are of the same type Wink 

I like the sound of that...

7519-7521 to Belmont and we receive the 57-reg Lowlanders and refurbish them to MAX for X20? 
Edited 31 May 2015, 5:50 pm by omnicity4659.
omnicity4659
31 May 2015, 5:49 pm #461

(31 May 2015, 5:44 pm)Kuyoyo I can't say anything until I have it confirmed - but from what I've heard, Durham and Ashington may be having a modern standard-specification decker swap before the 6 goes Sapphire so all Sapphire deckers in the region are of the same type Wink 

I like the sound of that...

7519-7521 to Belmont and we receive the 57-reg Lowlanders and refurbish them to MAX for X20? 

Dan

Site Administrator

31 May 2015, 5:52 pm #462
(31 May 2015, 5:44 pm)aureolin Why does the depot's preference come into it? If someone at Arriva has signed off painting and branding an extra vehicle for the X12, then surely that should be used in the first instance? It's a ridiculous situation having an 'X12' branded vehicle going round Durham on everything but the X12, and it confuses customers.

Agree.

I can come up with two plausible reasons:
  • Capacity issues on the Durham - Middlesbrough stretch of the route on Belmont's boards at peak times making it illogical to allocate a single deck vehicle. However, if this was the case, why wasn't a double-deck vehicle selected to be converted to MAX specification opposed to a single-deck?
  • The bus is being kept local, at the request of the depot's engineering department (owing to a previous fault), as they want to make sure it's settled in before sending it out on a demanding service like the X12. This becomes less and less likely the more time it spends on these services, though. This has been ongoing since January...
Or it could just boil down to poor allocations, which should be nipped in the bud from higher above...
Dan
31 May 2015, 5:52 pm #462

(31 May 2015, 5:44 pm)aureolin Why does the depot's preference come into it? If someone at Arriva has signed off painting and branding an extra vehicle for the X12, then surely that should be used in the first instance? It's a ridiculous situation having an 'X12' branded vehicle going round Durham on everything but the X12, and it confuses customers.

Agree.

• Capacity issues on the Durham - Middlesbrough stretch of the route on Belmont's boards at peak times making it illogical to allocate a single deck vehicle. However, if this was the case, why wasn't a double-deck vehicle selected to be converted to MAX specification opposed to a single-deck?
  • The bus is being kept local, at the request of the depot's engineering department (owing to a previous fault), as they want to make sure it's settled in before sending it out on a demanding service like the X12. This becomes less and less likely the more time it spends on these services, though. This has been ongoing since January...
Or it could just boil down to poor allocations, which should be nipped in the bud from higher above...

Kuyoyo

31 May 2015, 5:53 pm #463
(31 May 2015, 5:42 pm)Dan You've seen no complaints from me about this over on the Go North East section of the forum, so there certainly wouldn't be any complaints from me on this section...

For Go North East, there's very few branded services that now have a branded spare, and even though a spare vehicle may be used frequently, there are occasions where it is not required, and is allocated to another service as a result. Arriva have "Sapphire" branded vehicles down on Teesside working normal services all day because they're often not required to deputise for the correct allocation. It's a similar situation up north with Go North East (think of the Fab56 Volvo B9TLs), but the difference is that they can be allocated to the 20/20A services on a Saturday no problem because they carry the company's corporate livery.

Although the brand identity is lost somewhat when the corporate liveried spares have to be used regularly to cover for branded vehicles (I'm thinking of the red Mercs at Stanley and the red Volvo B9TL at Riverside), I'd suggest this is still better than a 'wrong brand' working.

1512 is allocated to a 27 working that does an X5 - it also means it's earning its keep and within easy reach to be swapped off if required on the 5s.

So, you were complaining about a split allocation the other day yet now you want a Pulsar on there? Durham seem to want to use deckers on there (and the region is short of modern deckers - a fact now becoming apparent with the X4/X5 MAX upgrade and the 6 Sapphire upgrade) and I think originally the plan was for a Pulsar board to remain on the Durham X12, obviously that all changed. Of course, ideally Durham shouldn't be putting 1415 out on the 6 but if it's all that spare and it's not required on the X12, what else do you do?

(31 May 2015, 5:45 pm)mb134 May have picked this up totally wrong, but do you mean Lowlanders back to Ashington *hopes* Wink 

Maybe, maybe not - I don't know 100% yet, just a rumor until confirmed.
Kuyoyo
31 May 2015, 5:53 pm #463

(31 May 2015, 5:42 pm)Dan You've seen no complaints from me about this over on the Go North East section of the forum, so there certainly wouldn't be any complaints from me on this section...

For Go North East, there's very few branded services that now have a branded spare, and even though a spare vehicle may be used frequently, there are occasions where it is not required, and is allocated to another service as a result. Arriva have "Sapphire" branded vehicles down on Teesside working normal services all day because they're often not required to deputise for the correct allocation. It's a similar situation up north with Go North East (think of the Fab56 Volvo B9TLs), but the difference is that they can be allocated to the 20/20A services on a Saturday no problem because they carry the company's corporate livery.

Although the brand identity is lost somewhat when the corporate liveried spares have to be used regularly to cover for branded vehicles (I'm thinking of the red Mercs at Stanley and the red Volvo B9TL at Riverside), I'd suggest this is still better than a 'wrong brand' working.

1512 is allocated to a 27 working that does an X5 - it also means it's earning its keep and within easy reach to be swapped off if required on the 5s.

So, you were complaining about a split allocation the other day yet now you want a Pulsar on there? Durham seem to want to use deckers on there (and the region is short of modern deckers - a fact now becoming apparent with the X4/X5 MAX upgrade and the 6 Sapphire upgrade) and I think originally the plan was for a Pulsar board to remain on the Durham X12, obviously that all changed. Of course, ideally Durham shouldn't be putting 1415 out on the 6 but if it's all that spare and it's not required on the X12, what else do you do?

(31 May 2015, 5:45 pm)mb134 May have picked this up totally wrong, but do you mean Lowlanders back to Ashington *hopes* Wink 

Maybe, maybe not - I don't know 100% yet, just a rumor until confirmed.

Tom

31 May 2015, 5:56 pm #464

Yeah hopefully the beasts will be for the 20/X20 Big Grin - Then again the ALX400's are just as good.
Tom
31 May 2015, 5:56 pm #464

Yeah hopefully the beasts will be for the 20/X20 Big Grin - Then again the ALX400's are just as good.

mb134

31 May 2015, 5:57 pm #465
(31 May 2015, 5:53 pm)Kuyoyo Maybe, maybe not - I don't know 100% yet, just a rumor until confirmed.

Either way, sounds good Wink 

Would image as a result (if it did occur) these would be refurbished to MAX specification for the 20/X20, with 7519-21 going down for the Sapphire conversion of the 6? 

If 7453-6 did move back, and were used for the purpose previously stated, could they look at increasing the frequency of the 20/X20, or extending it to Alnwick?
mb134
31 May 2015, 5:57 pm #465

(31 May 2015, 5:53 pm)Kuyoyo Maybe, maybe not - I don't know 100% yet, just a rumor until confirmed.

Either way, sounds good Wink 

Would image as a result (if it did occur) these would be refurbished to MAX specification for the 20/X20, with 7519-21 going down for the Sapphire conversion of the 6? 

If 7453-6 did move back, and were used for the purpose previously stated, could they look at increasing the frequency of the 20/X20, or extending it to Alnwick?

Kuyoyo

31 May 2015, 5:59 pm #466
(31 May 2015, 5:49 pm)Tommy_1581 I like the sound of that...

Only be 3 of the Lowlander if it's true - as for MAX refurbishment, no idea

(31 May 2015, 5:52 pm)Dan Agree.

Maybe they didn't do a decker because there's so few modern decker vehicles in the fleet that weren't already earmarked for other runs. Plus, I believe, it was only after 1415/6 were completed that Durham requested a sixth decker to convert their entire operation to decker. As for the poor allocation comment - if it's the only bus left without a defect, would you rather have no bus?
Kuyoyo
31 May 2015, 5:59 pm #466

(31 May 2015, 5:49 pm)Tommy_1581 I like the sound of that...

Only be 3 of the Lowlander if it's true - as for MAX refurbishment, no idea

(31 May 2015, 5:52 pm)Dan Agree.

Maybe they didn't do a decker because there's so few modern decker vehicles in the fleet that weren't already earmarked for other runs. Plus, I believe, it was only after 1415/6 were completed that Durham requested a sixth decker to convert their entire operation to decker. As for the poor allocation comment - if it's the only bus left without a defect, would you rather have no bus?

Tom

31 May 2015, 5:59 pm #467
(31 May 2015, 5:57 pm)mb134 Either way, sounds good Wink 

That'd be great extending it to Alnwick.

Then the X18 might become a bit more reliable if the 20/X18 provided a 30 minute frequency between Widdrington-Alnwick to help with passenger numbers on the X18.
Tom
31 May 2015, 5:59 pm #467

That'd be great extending it to Alnwick.

Then the X18 might become a bit more reliable if the 20/X18 provided a 30 minute frequency between Widdrington-Alnwick to help with passenger numbers on the X18.

Kuyoyo

31 May 2015, 6:02 pm #468
(31 May 2015, 5:56 pm)Tom Yeah hopefully the beasts will be for the 20/X20 Big Grin - Then again the ALX400's are just as good.

Beasts!? They're flat as fuck - I watched 7455 struggle away from the stop on Stockton High Street the other morning and it wasn't that full.

Only 3 would go as Durham would be down a vehicle if it lost 4 deckers and only gained 3 - unless 7518 also moved south to Durham to give a decker spare for the 6/24 Wink 
Kuyoyo
31 May 2015, 6:02 pm #468

(31 May 2015, 5:56 pm)Tom Yeah hopefully the beasts will be for the 20/X20 Big Grin - Then again the ALX400's are just as good.

Beasts!? They're flat as fuck - I watched 7455 struggle away from the stop on Stockton High Street the other morning and it wasn't that full.

Only 3 would go as Durham would be down a vehicle if it lost 4 deckers and only gained 3 - unless 7518 also moved south to Durham to give a decker spare for the 6/24 Wink 

mb134

31 May 2015, 6:03 pm #469
(31 May 2015, 5:59 pm)Kuyoyo Only be 3 of the Lowlander if it's true - as for MAX refurbishment, no idea

If it is true, I hope one of the three is 7454, that was an absolute rocket the last time I was on it, miss that bus... 

One thing relating to your point regarding a lack of modern double deckers in the region, with the age that 7436-44 and 7466-81 are, could we see mass investment soon, like Liverpool has seen?
mb134
31 May 2015, 6:03 pm #469

(31 May 2015, 5:59 pm)Kuyoyo Only be 3 of the Lowlander if it's true - as for MAX refurbishment, no idea

If it is true, I hope one of the three is 7454, that was an absolute rocket the last time I was on it, miss that bus... 

One thing relating to your point regarding a lack of modern double deckers in the region, with the age that 7436-44 and 7466-81 are, could we see mass investment soon, like Liverpool has seen?

Dan

Site Administrator

31 May 2015, 6:04 pm #470
(31 May 2015, 5:53 pm)Kuyoyo 1512 is allocated to a 27 working that does an X5 - it also means it's earning its keep and within easy reach to be swapped off if required on the 5s.

I'm well aware of the interworking pattern as the allocation has previously been justified in the past.

My personal opinion would be that it would be better for this vehicle to carry the company's corporate livery whilst featuring the provision of free Wi-Fi and power sockets. That way, Arriva wouldn't be allocating a "Sapphire" branded vehicle, on a daily basis, to a service which does not form part of the North East's network of "Sapphire" branded services, but customers would still benefit from the main thing they'll care about (power sockets and Wi-Fi - not the colour of the bus) when it does have to be allocated to services 5/5A.

(31 May 2015, 5:53 pm)Kuyoyo So, you were complaining about a split allocation the other day yet now you want a Pulsar on there? Durham seem to want to use deckers on there (and the region is short of modern deckers - a fact now becoming apparent with the X4/X5 MAX upgrade and the 6 Sapphire upgrade) and I think originally the plan was for a Pulsar board to remain on the Durham X12, obviously that all changed. Of course, ideally Durham shouldn't be putting 1415 out on the 6 but if it's all that spare and it's not required on the X12, what else do you do?

When there's a "MAX" specification vehicle kicking about on the 6 service when the X12 service is in need of a "MAX" specification vehicle, I think aureolin's point or "complaint" is justified... Lowlanders do seem to be fairly common based on my sightings of Durham's boards on a morning and night, yet reports of 1415 on other services at Durham also seem to be common.
Dan
31 May 2015, 6:04 pm #470

(31 May 2015, 5:53 pm)Kuyoyo 1512 is allocated to a 27 working that does an X5 - it also means it's earning its keep and within easy reach to be swapped off if required on the 5s.

I'm well aware of the interworking pattern as the allocation has previously been justified in the past.

My personal opinion would be that it would be better for this vehicle to carry the company's corporate livery whilst featuring the provision of free Wi-Fi and power sockets. That way, Arriva wouldn't be allocating a "Sapphire" branded vehicle, on a daily basis, to a service which does not form part of the North East's network of "Sapphire" branded services, but customers would still benefit from the main thing they'll care about (power sockets and Wi-Fi - not the colour of the bus) when it does have to be allocated to services 5/5A.

(31 May 2015, 5:53 pm)Kuyoyo So, you were complaining about a split allocation the other day yet now you want a Pulsar on there? Durham seem to want to use deckers on there (and the region is short of modern deckers - a fact now becoming apparent with the X4/X5 MAX upgrade and the 6 Sapphire upgrade) and I think originally the plan was for a Pulsar board to remain on the Durham X12, obviously that all changed. Of course, ideally Durham shouldn't be putting 1415 out on the 6 but if it's all that spare and it's not required on the X12, what else do you do?

When there's a "MAX" specification vehicle kicking about on the 6 service when the X12 service is in need of a "MAX" specification vehicle, I think aureolin's point or "complaint" is justified... Lowlanders do seem to be fairly common based on my sightings of Durham's boards on a morning and night, yet reports of 1415 on other services at Durham also seem to be common.

mb134

31 May 2015, 6:06 pm #471
(31 May 2015, 6:02 pm)Kuyoyo Only 3 would go as Durham would be down a vehicle if it lost 4 deckers and only gained 3 - unless 7518 also moved south to Durham to give a decker spare for the 6/24 Wink 

I can count the number of times I've seen it on the route it was refurbished for on one hand, spends most of it's time on the X14 from what I gather, and Ashington have already got "Quick Links" 4653/7515, that they'll probably chuck on!!  
mb134
31 May 2015, 6:06 pm #471

(31 May 2015, 6:02 pm)Kuyoyo Only 3 would go as Durham would be down a vehicle if it lost 4 deckers and only gained 3 - unless 7518 also moved south to Durham to give a decker spare for the 6/24 Wink 

I can count the number of times I've seen it on the route it was refurbished for on one hand, spends most of it's time on the X14 from what I gather, and Ashington have already got "Quick Links" 4653/7515, that they'll probably chuck on!!  

Dan

Site Administrator

31 May 2015, 6:10 pm #472
(31 May 2015, 5:59 pm)Kuyoyo As for the poor allocation comment - if it's the only bus left without a defect, would you rather have no bus?

As 1415's appearance on service 6 (and other services besides the X12) seems to be almost daily, Durham must have huge operational issues, if it's the only bus left in the depot on all of these occasions!

What is their spare vehicle %, again?
Dan
31 May 2015, 6:10 pm #472

(31 May 2015, 5:59 pm)Kuyoyo As for the poor allocation comment - if it's the only bus left without a defect, would you rather have no bus?

As 1415's appearance on service 6 (and other services besides the X12) seems to be almost daily, Durham must have huge operational issues, if it's the only bus left in the depot on all of these occasions!

Adrian

31 May 2015, 6:10 pm #473

I didn't want a Pulsar on there. Perhaps Arriva management want a Pulsar on there, seeing as a spare has been branded for the X12? My point remains though. Why does the depot get away with going for their preference, rather than using the branded spare? 

Durham wouldn't be able to put 1415 out on the 6, if it was on the X12 as intended. The Lowlander would be on there instead. Of course it makes things difficult when it's out first thing on a morning most days. 

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
31 May 2015, 6:10 pm #473

I didn't want a Pulsar on there. Perhaps Arriva management want a Pulsar on there, seeing as a spare has been branded for the X12? My point remains though. Why does the depot get away with going for their preference, rather than using the branded spare? 

Durham wouldn't be able to put 1415 out on the 6, if it was on the X12 as intended. The Lowlander would be on there instead. Of course it makes things difficult when it's out first thing on a morning most days. 

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

31 May 2015, 6:15 pm #474
(31 May 2015, 6:10 pm)Dan As 1415's appearance on service 6 (and other services besides the X12) seems to be almost daily, Durham must have huge operational issues, if it's the only bus left in the depot on all of these occasions!

I've been to Durham bus station and Belmont depot recently and there was about 6 vehicles in total in layovers/parked up.
omnicity4659
31 May 2015, 6:15 pm #474

(31 May 2015, 6:10 pm)Dan As 1415's appearance on service 6 (and other services besides the X12) seems to be almost daily, Durham must have huge operational issues, if it's the only bus left in the depot on all of these occasions!

I've been to Durham bus station and Belmont depot recently and there was about 6 vehicles in total in layovers/parked up.

mb134

31 May 2015, 6:27 pm #475
(31 May 2015, 5:53 pm)Kuyoyo Durham seem to want to use deckers on there (and the region is short of modern deckers - a fact now becoming apparent with the X4/X5 MAX upgrade and the 6 Sapphire upgrade) 

Just going to go back to this point, I've just had a look through the Fleetlist and it's quite amazing how old some of the double decker allocation is, out of a total 131 (if I've counted correctly), 88 are 10 years old or less (7445/6 being the oldest of the 88), however 43 are over 13:
9 2001 Lowlanders 
23 DLA's (included the T-FGN deckers in this, unsure if they are still DLA's?)
11 2001/2 B7's 

Don't pretty much all of these still see service? 

Is it possible for a Liverpool scale decker influx over the coming years to get rid of these? 
Edited 31 May 2015, 6:29 pm by mb134.
mb134
31 May 2015, 6:27 pm #475

(31 May 2015, 5:53 pm)Kuyoyo Durham seem to want to use deckers on there (and the region is short of modern deckers - a fact now becoming apparent with the X4/X5 MAX upgrade and the 6 Sapphire upgrade) 

Just going to go back to this point, I've just had a look through the Fleetlist and it's quite amazing how old some of the double decker allocation is, out of a total 131 (if I've counted correctly), 88 are 10 years old or less (7445/6 being the oldest of the 88), however 43 are over 13:
9 2001 Lowlanders 
23 DLA's (included the T-FGN deckers in this, unsure if they are still DLA's?)
11 2001/2 B7's 

Don't pretty much all of these still see service? 

Is it possible for a Liverpool scale decker influx over the coming years to get rid of these? 

Jimmi

31 May 2015, 6:33 pm #476
How would I best go about complaining to Arriva regarding the red light incident yesterday?

Also what info should I include?
Jimmi
31 May 2015, 6:33 pm #476

How would I best go about complaining to Arriva regarding the red light incident yesterday?

S813 FVK

31 May 2015, 6:36 pm #477
(31 May 2015, 6:33 pm)Jimmi How would I best go about complaining to Arriva regarding the red light incident yesterday?

Journey, vehicle fleet number if possible. Using that information, they should be able to track the driver down without trouble. 
S813 FVK
31 May 2015, 6:36 pm #477

(31 May 2015, 6:33 pm)Jimmi How would I best go about complaining to Arriva regarding the red light incident yesterday?

Journey, vehicle fleet number if possible. Using that information, they should be able to track the driver down without trouble. 

31 May 2015, 6:37 pm #478

File a formal complaint. A rough time, service number, usually the fleet number of the vehicle would come in handy, and the location the incident took place should be enough for them to find the incident on CCTV, I would think. 
R852 PRG
31 May 2015, 6:37 pm #478

File a formal complaint. A rough time, service number, usually the fleet number of the vehicle would come in handy, and the location the incident took place should be enough for them to find the incident on CCTV, I would think. 

Jimmi

31 May 2015, 6:48 pm #479
(31 May 2015, 6:36 pm)Robert Journey, vehicle fleet number if possible. Using that information, they should be able to track the driver down without trouble. 
(31 May 2015, 6:37 pm)MarcTheA4 File a formal complaint. A rough time, service number, usually the fleet number of the vehicle would come in handy, and the location the incident took place should be enough for them to find the incident on CCTV, I would think. 

Do I use the contact us page http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/contact-us/ or some other way?
Jimmi
31 May 2015, 6:48 pm #479

(31 May 2015, 6:36 pm)Robert Journey, vehicle fleet number if possible. Using that information, they should be able to track the driver down without trouble. 
(31 May 2015, 6:37 pm)MarcTheA4 File a formal complaint. A rough time, service number, usually the fleet number of the vehicle would come in handy, and the location the incident took place should be enough for them to find the incident on CCTV, I would think. 

Do I use the contact us page http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/contact-us/ or some other way?

31 May 2015, 6:48 pm #480
(31 May 2015, 6:48 pm)Jimmi Do I use the contact us page http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/contact-us/ or some other way?

Yes. Smile
R852 PRG
31 May 2015, 6:48 pm #480

(31 May 2015, 6:48 pm)Jimmi Do I use the contact us page http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/contact-us/ or some other way?

Yes. Smile

Pages (25) Previous 123 24 25 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average