You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2015
(27 Jul 2015, 5:47 pm)S813 FVK wrote That is what i gathered from the proposals too.
With all of this splitting, i can't help but think it has something to do with QCS. Won't be long before they are trying to do something with the 8/8A/78/78A.

The whole objective of the changes is to correct timing issues, and I wouldn't say the ''Coast & Country'' services really need to be time corrected. Almost all of the journeys I make on the services, which are very regular, arrive and depart on time. There are never really any catastrophic delays, like you'll find on the ''Diamond'' services every now and then.

Although, if some changes are made, I imagine the changes would be the following; both services are split at Chester-le-Street, with an 8 service between Stanley and Chester-le-Street, and Chester-le-Street and Sunderland, then the 78 between Consett and Chester-le-Street, then again from there to Sunderland.
(27 Jul 2015, 5:51 pm)Michael wrote You'll have to read the rest yourself, way to much to put on a post.

Good Luck

It also seems the 43 will get withdrawn.

I'd agree. Although i think, if the X43 is made to stop on Fellside Road and in Tanfield Lea (with the latter replacing the 43), it will be no quicker than the 43 at present.
Here is what I've came up with:

Stanley
30/30A Stanley-Lanchester / PVR 2
43/43A Stanley-Durham / PVR 5
44/44A Newcastle-Stanley / PVR 7
l – X43 Metrocentre-Stanley
X30/X31 Newcastle-Stanley / PVR 6

Gateshead
11 Newcastle-Blackhall Mill / PVR 4
31/32 Newcastle-Winlaton / PVR 5
64/95 Gateshead-Lobley Hill or Yetholm Rd / PVR 2
96 Newcastle-Metrocentre / PVR 3
97 Newcastle-Metrocentre / PVR 9
If they want a 15 min. frequency between Stanley and Newcastle I think the X30/31 should remain as now, still running to Lanchester, with the X43 increased to half-hourly and extended to Newcastle. Thus you get a combined 15 min. fast service Stanley to Newcastle plus the remnant of the Diamond, with Lanchester keeping its through buses.
(27 Jul 2015, 6:29 pm)Tom wrote Here is what I've came up with:

Stanley

Gateshead

X43 - PVR 2?

Not bad, i wonder if the Highwayman will receive new buses

Thanks Tom
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(27 Jul 2015, 6:34 pm)Michael wrote X43 - PVR 2?

Thanks Tom

I would go with 2 but i might go with 3 to improve relibility of the service - extra layover time at each end.
(27 Jul 2015, 6:34 pm)Michael wrote X43 - PVR 2?

Thanks Tom

Basically what I meant is that the 44/44A and X43 would interwork.
(27 Jul 2015, 7:43 pm)Tom wrote Basically what I meant is that the 44/44A and X43 would interwork.

Ah right!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(27 Jul 2015, 4:04 pm)citaro5284 wrote No they cannot.  Remember Next Stop systems are there for the benefit of blind or people with bad eyesight as well as strangers to the area.  What is the point of having them if the drivers can turn them off and people with bad eyesight miss their stop??

I wasn't asking him because they were annoying me or anything. I'm not bothered by them, apart from when they are blaring. I was only asking because I didn't know.
Regarding the announcements debate, I have to say the "Please remain seated until the bus has stopped" is OTT and never listened too. Also, just say everyone did obey that, you'll have situations where the bus will get slightly delayed(might only be 10 or seconds but count that per stop), you will have people who want to get on the bus thinking no one is getting off so jumping on then only realising people are wanting to get off. 

Honestly, the country is too H+S conscious these days!
(27 Jul 2015, 9:50 pm)Bus_User wrote Regarding the announcements debate, I have to say the "Please remain seated until the bus has stopped" is OTT and never listened too. Also, just say everyone did obey that, you'll have situations where the bus will get slightly delayed(might only be 10 or seconds but count that per stop), you will have people who want to get on the bus thinking no one is getting off so jumping on then only realising people are wanting to get off. 

Honestly, the country is too H+S conscious these days!

I definitely agree with you about the announcement, especially on the 10 and 21, if you're going the whole route. Although, I suppose some people just look for claims, and with that announcement, they can't say they weren't warned?
I know the subject of new brands came up the other day, but, I think I have a pretty cool name for the 61.

Seen as the Citaro's are already in a silver base colour, and the service goes pretty near the sea, it should be called.....

"Silver Surfer"
(28 Jul 2015, 8:42 am)LeeCalder wrote I know the subject of new brands came up the other day, but, I think I have a pretty cool name for the 61.

Seen as the Citaro's are already in a silver base colour, and the service goes pretty near the sea, it should be called.....

"Silver Surfer"

Good name however its a name from "The Fantastic 4", not sure if they would have to have permission, same as when they had the "Magic Roundabout".

Edited: missed the 4 off! haha
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(28 Jul 2015, 8:50 am)Michael wrote not sure if they would have to have permission, same as when they had the "Magic Roundabout".

Did they have permission for that livery? I'd didn't last long.
(28 Jul 2015, 8:57 am)GX03 SVC wrote Did they have permission for that livery? I'd didn't last long.

I would imagine so, it'll of cost them to use it.

Citaro might be able to confirm that.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(27 Jul 2015, 6:29 pm)Tom wrote Here is what I've came up with:

Stanley

Gateshead

Just thinking, i wonder if the 97 will remain as a branded service and the 96 will join it... with new buses - Wright Streetlite Micro-Hybrid's. 

Anyone else think they should just have the 64/95 as 1 full route?

As for the Diamond, i think well see new buses to, Wright Streetlite Micro-Hybrid's... the Citaro's on the route are also due a repaint next year, they may do it early if these changes happen........ 

As for the X30/X31/X70/X71 along with the new numbers if they're split, i think will have a full allocation to OmniDekka, as were due some more at end of the year, as we know GNE don't like having 2 kinds of buses on 1 route.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(28 Jul 2015, 9:25 am)Michael wrote Just thinking, i wonder if the 97 will remain as a branded service and the 96 will join it... with new buses - Wright Streetlite Micro-Hybrid's. 

Anyone else think they should just have the 64/95 as 1 full route?

As for the Diamond, i think well see new buses to, Wright Streetlite Micro-Hybrid's... the Citaro's on the route are also due a repaint next year, they may do it early if these changes happen........ 

As for the X30/X31/X70/X71 along with the new numbers if they're split, i think will have a full allocation to OmniDekka, as were due some more at end of the year, as we know GNE don't like having 2 kinds of buses on 1 route.

Yeah it would definitely make sense for the 96 to join the Highwayman brand. Not sure if it would justify new buses though, but possibly if the Diamond did get upgraded it could receive the Citaros there, and the Scanias could go on the 17/57.

If the X30/X31 was split, I wouldn't think the Stanley-Lanchester part would need double deckers, possibly it could be allocated Omnicities?
(28 Jul 2015, 9:29 am)Tom wrote Yeah it would definitely make sense for the 96 to join the Highwayman brand. Not sure if it would justify new buses though, but possibly if the Diamond did get upgraded it could receive the Citaros there, and the Scanias could go on the 17/57.

If the X30/X31 was split, I wouldn't think the Stanley-Lanchester part would need double deckers, possibly it could be allocated Omnicities?

As i'm not from the area's, i have no idea on the passenger numbers only when i have seen the services out and about. 

I think the Diamond will get new buses this year, if changes go-ahead, if the 96/97 doesn't justify new buses then they should get the citaro's as you have suggested, then the scania's move else where.

No idea for the X30/X31, i have used them a few times and i haven't seen many passengers on them.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(28 Jul 2015, 8:50 am)Michael wrote Good name however its a name from "The Fantastic", not sure if they would have to have permission, same as when they had the "Magic Roundabout".

Is it? I don't watch films Undecided
(28 Jul 2015, 9:34 am)Michael wrote As i'm not from the area's, i have no idea on the passenger numbers only when i have seen the services out and about. 

I think the Diamond will get new buses this year, if changes go-ahead, if the 96/97 doesn't justify new buses then they should get the citaro's as you have suggested, then the scania's move else where.

No idea for the X30/X31, i have used them a few times and i haven't seen many passengers on them.

The X30/X31 can get busy, but not all of the time. If it was going to be every 15 minutes I'd say it would only need single deckers really, but of course you'll have the same number of buses between Newcastle and Stanley as you do now, so maybe passenger numbers will increase? I'm not sure.

It's never really busy between Lanchester and Stanley I don't think.
Very few journeys between Stanley and Lanchester get busy. The main two are the 07:57 X31 out of Stanley (07:10 out of Newcastle) and the 15:25 X31 out of Lanchester as they both call into St Bede's School and a lot of people do opt for that bus rather than the normal school buses. That is obviously just during school term time though. Apart from that, it doesn't get so busy double deckers are required.

It is a different kettle of fish between Stanley and Newcastle at times though.
(28 Jul 2015, 9:45 am)Tom wrote The X30/X31 can get busy, but not all of the time. If it was going to be every 15 minutes I'd say it would only need single deckers really, but of course you'll have the same number of buses between Newcastle and Stanley as you do now, so maybe passenger numbers will increase? I'm not sure.

It's never really busy between Lanchester and Stanley I don't think.

No idea, hopefully the results will be out soon after it finishes and we don't wait for ever, it closes on the 7th August.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(28 Jul 2015, 9:51 am)Michael wrote No idea, hopefully the results will be out soon after it finishes and we don't wait for ever, it closes on the 7th August.

They have probs decided anyways but want passenger views and opinions on the future changes before deciding on what's happening I can see a lot of citaros getting repainted as the PVR will more than likely to decrease probs most of them will turn red or transfer to other depots to replace the old worn out vehicles
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
6041 has broken down at the mini roundabout on Picktree Lane outside the TA Centre. Traffic delays in Chester le Street despite the best efforts of GNE staff in directing traffic around the hazard.
Sunderlandnow

3 car traffic collision at Barnes outside Toby carvery. Ambulance on Scene
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(28 Jul 2015, 4:16 pm)Jackamcardle wrote Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but there are at least 11 solos at Saltmeadows now.

3 more to go
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
(28 Jul 2015, 4:16 pm)Jackamcardle wrote Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but there are at least 11 solos at Saltmeadows now.

Think the plan was they would all be here by tomorrow....