You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Anything and Everything
(16 Aug 2015, 9:09 pm)Adam wrote Going back to the discussion about drinking in Newcastle, perhaps I can shed a bit of light on it, speaking with plenty of recent experience (blame university. It was Freshers year after all).

There are still a few places open on the Bigg Market, including Bier Keller (amazing place), and Popworld. City Vaults closed down in the last few weeks as it's being transformed into a "sexual entertainment venue". A range of ages tend to drink in this area. I know my Irish Theology teacher at school (in his mid 40s) drinks there often.

The youth of today seem to have widened their horizons within the city centre. The Bigg Market was notorious for the drinking place to be a decade or so ago, but many places have opened all around the city centre in recent years.

Up by Monument, Basement is the place to be for trebles (3 for £5). I know many, occasionally my friends and I, go there after pre's before hitting the nightclubs.

The "Geordie Shore" type of clubs tend to be around the Central Station/Collingwood Street/St Nicholas Street/Mosley Street areas for House of Smith, Perdu, Bijoux, Tup Tup, Flares etc, as well as Riverside down by the Swing Bridge and Tiger Tiger by The Gate, all of which mainly catering for youths. (My uni friends and I actually appeared in the background on Geordie Shore a few months ago, according to a couple of them. I don't watch the show. It's so set up it's ridiculous).

Other venues include Digi beside the Centre for Life, Gotham Town over the road from the Central Station, the O2 Academy as Dirtypop (featuring a range of songs for everyone) is hosted every Friday night, and Alpha (heavy metal stuff) on a Saturday night, and Sinners, Sam Jacks, Bonbar etc in/next to The Gate.

From what I've seen, the adults tend to drink in the bars along the Bigg Market, the Quayside and around the Grey Street areas.

I hope this mini informative guide has been most interesting Smile
Not sure about that Bier Keller mind. Been a couple of times and dunno if it was the over gassy beer or what, but didn't do anything.

Dat Bar, BrewDog, The Botanist (if only for the beer/lager selection) and another one opposite the Town Wall (it's name escapes me) are my bars of choice in the town if I get there.

The City Vaults was ok, but quite over priced.

I went in Harrys Bar very recently and nearly sh!t a brick when I got the round in! It was heaving though.

It seems gone are the days when the bars would empty and everyone would head off to a decent club (or the boat).
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(16 Aug 2015, 9:33 pm)Andreos1 wrote Not sure about that Bier Keller mind. Been a couple of times and dunno if it was the over gassy beer or what, but didn't do anything.

Dat Bar, BrewDog, The Botanist (if only for the beer/lager selection) and another one opposite the Town Wall (it's name escapes me) are my bars of choice in the town if I get there.

The City Vaults was ok, but quite over priced.

I went in Harrys Bar very recently and nearly sh!t a brick when I got the round in! It was heaving though.

It seems gone are the days when the bars would empty and everyone would head off to a decent club (or the boat).

I've been to Bier Keller twice, both on a Sunday night, and I don't think there's anywhere else in Newcastle where a group of youths and adults can stand on the indoor picnic benches singing and dancing away to cheesy pop, like the Music Man or the German version of Peter Rabbit, as well as a Bavarian Oompah band playing. Mind, I did just stick with Strongbow cider, not any of the beers, so I can't exactly compare the gaseousness of them. It was swelteringly warm inside though.

Never been in any of the other ones you mention apart from City Vaults. I wasn't a fan.

Some of my uni friends are back up on Saturday. May have to sample some of the places Wink
(16 Aug 2015, 9:43 pm)Adam wrote I've been to Bier Keller twice, both on a Sunday night, and I don't think there's anywhere else in Newcastle where a group of youths and adults can stand on the indoor picnic benches singing and dancing away to cheesy pop, like the Music Man or the German version of Peter Rabbit, as well as a Bavarian Oompah band playing. Mind, I did just stick with Strongbow cider, not any of the beers, so I can't exactly compare the gaseousness of them. It was swelteringly warm inside though.

Never been in any of the other ones you mention apart from City Vaults. I wasn't a fan.

Some of my uni friends are back up on Saturday. May have to sample some of the places Wink

Sounds like Arazona or where ever u call it in Sunderland... Adults and young ones just dancing to cheesy music and having a good time.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(16 Aug 2015, 9:43 pm)Adam wrote I've been to Bier Keller twice, both on a Sunday night, and I don't think there's anywhere else in Newcastle where a group of youths and adults can stand on the indoor picnic benches singing and dancing away to cheesy pop, like the Music Man or the German version of Peter Rabbit, as well as a Bavarian Oompah band playing. Mind, I did just stick with Strongbow cider, not any of the beers, so I can't exactly compare the gaseousness of the beers. It was swelteringly warm inside though.

If it is decent weather, the Ouseburn Valley is worth a look.
The Free Trade Inn, Tyne Bar, Cluny, Cumberland Arms and another opposite The Cluny are all decent and get a good mix in.

We get off the Q3 on Ford St, mooch along, maybe have a bite to eat and get a bus back into town from Byker if there is nothing worth seeing in either of the bars.

If you can track down 'The Bavarian Stompers' (http://www.bavarianstompers.com/)
- see if you can get a group together.
They're hilarious.
Had a cracking trip out in the Birmingham/West Mids area yesterday, here's my log:

1M21 0544 Carlisle to Lancaster 390011
9G47 0658 Lancaster to Wolverhampton 221115
1O08 0837 Wolverhampton to Birmingham NS 220002
2K59 1042 Birmingham NS to Rugeley Trent Valley 170634
1U28 1205 Rugeley Trent Valley to Lichfield Trent Valley 350376
2R43 1220 Lichfield Trent Valley to Redditch 323240
2L51 1355 Redditch to Birmingham NS 323240
2W80 1449 Birmingham MS to Stourbridge Jn 172211
2P17 1525 Stourbridge Jn to Stourbridge Town 139002
2P18 1530 Stourbridge Town to Stourbridge Jn 139002
2S58 1537 Stourbridge Jn to Smethwick Galton Bridge 172338
1F50 1607 Smethwick Galton Bridge to Stafford 350263
1U39 1639 Stafford to Crewe (via Stoke) 350118
9S85 1809 Crewe to Carlisle 221115 221113*
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
(16 Aug 2015, 5:19 pm)Andreos1 wrote We have been kicking about the Ouseburn for a while. Dunno if it is a sign we're getting old, or changing tastes.
Not keen on the glitzy bars, full of Geordie Shore wannabes.

I used to visit Ouseburn before most of the bars were all built. A group of us used to get tanked up in the Ship on a Friday, after work. Good beer, the odd lurcher to pet, a decent jukebox and, occasionally, we got near the pool table.
(16 Aug 2015, 10:08 pm)BusLoverMum wrote I used to visit Ouseburn before most of the bars were all built. A group of us used to get tanked up in the Ship on a Friday, after work. Good beer, the odd lurcher to pet, a decent jukebox and, occasionally, we got near the pool table.

I thought The Cluny was the only 'new' pub?
The rest all look and have the feel of being ancient!
(16 Aug 2015, 6:47 pm)aureolin wrote The build quality looks better than a Streetlite. Wink

Hah! Sat in front of the fire door with big'un, yesterday. He was already in rant mode, after the busy X9 experience followed by me insisting we took the much hated by him streetdeck (agree - oh the painful engine noise on the dual carriageway bit of the A167!) from CLS, otherwise we'd have an almost half hour wait for our bus home.

We were on Arriva 1601, which seems to be by far the worst of that batch for rattles. He muttered all the way home about it and even held his hand on it, trying to shut it up. I consoled him that at least it doesn't have the dodgy main doors of 1595. They keep rattling open and setting the alarm off.
(16 Aug 2015, 10:11 pm)Andreos1 wrote I thought The Cluny was the only 'new' pub?
The rest all look and have the feel of being ancient!

I visited the Cluny when that was shiny and new and that was about 13 or 14 years ago.

Mediocre beer.

Can't remember the name, but there's the older pub high on a hill. About 25 years ago, not sure if more recently, had gigs upstairs. nd another one I've never been in.

There's another one up on the main road, near where the student flat used to be - had my first taste of Flowers there. Have a completely foggy brain, tonight, so no chance of remembering the name of the place!

Actually curious if the city farm is still there. Littl'un would like that. We were stuck in pets @ home for quarter of an hour, last week, with him convinced that the guinea pigs were "little prairie dogs"
(16 Aug 2015, 10:16 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Hah! Sat in front of the fire door with big'un, yesterday. He was already in rant mode, after the busy X9 experience followed by me insisting we took the much hated by him streetdeck (agree - oh the painful engine noise on the dual carriageway bit of the A167!) from CLS, otherwise we'd have an almost half hour wait for our bus home.

We were on Arriva 1601, which seems to be by far the worst of that batch for rattles. He muttered all the way home about it and even held his hand on it, trying to shut it up. I consoled him that at least it doesn't have the dodgy main doors of 1595. They keep rattling open and setting the alarm off.

Reminds me of the Prestige's, often spent 40+ minutes journeys on the 7/7A with my hand on the windows trying to stop the windows shaking like mad on some examples especially when stationary.

I hate the alarm noise when the doors open/close on Pulsars, had 1461 on the 5A yesterday and the alarm noise sounded the whole time the doors were open. Probably why the 09 reg examples are some of my favourites as they don't have it.
(16 Aug 2015, 10:28 pm)Jimmi wrote Reminds me of the Prestige's, often spent 40+ minutes journeys on the 7/7A with my hand on the windows trying to stop the windows shaking like mad on some examples especially when stationary.

I hate the alarm noise when the doors open/close on Pulsars, had 1461 on the 5A yesterday and the alarm noise sounded the whole time the doors were open. Probably why the 09 reg examples are some of my favourites as they don't have it.

The 24 branded ones don't do it, either. It only seems to be a problem when the doors aren't shut properly when the bus is moving.
(16 Aug 2015, 10:23 pm)BusLoverMum wrote I visited the Cluny when that was shiny and new and that was about 13 or 14 years ago.

Mediocre beer.

Can't remember the name, but there's the older pub high on a hill. About 25 years ago, not sure if more recently, had gigs upstairs. nd another one I've never been in.

There's another one up on the main road, near where the student flat used to be - had my first taste of Flowers there. Have a completely foggy brain, tonight, so no chance of remembering the name of the place!

Actually curious if the city farm is still there. Littl'un would like that. We were stuck in pets @ home for quarter of an hour, last week, with him convinced that the guinea pigs were "little prairie dogs"
The Cumberland is higher up, on a hill towards Byker. The Cluny is good for beer now.

The other two are further down, at the mouth of the Ouseburn.
Both old!

As for the main road, there is one on the roundabout at Byker. If you are thinking of the same place, that is a Lebanese restaurant now. Got done out a few years ago.

Aye, the farm is still there. Worth a look if animals are his thing.
I had the kids there fairly recently and the volunteers let you pet the animals.
The Stepney Bank stables are also nearby.
Site Administrator
(16 Aug 2015, 10:36 pm)BusLoverMum wrote The 24 branded ones don't do it, either. It only seems to be a problem when the doors aren't shut properly when the bus is moving.

When the handbrake is not applied but the doors are opened, the alarm goes off for 'safety' purposes.

A lot of drivers save themselves the hassle of applying the handbrake (most likely because it costs them precious seconds).
Heathrow becomes the first 'Imaginary Friend Friendly' airport

A more cynical and sinister version of me would also introduce an 'Imaginary Friend Surcharge'. If I witnessed anyone muttering (or even singing) to themselves, I would automatically presume that an imaginary companion was present and apply the charge! Easy Money!

But, seriously, well done Heathrow!

On another note, I hope Drop Dead Fred isn't sitting next to me if I ever fly from there!
Cilla Blacks funeral today, live on every news channel.

Why can't they just let family and friends grieve Sad

Cliff Richard also singing for her Sad
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Got an email from someone at uni asking me to star in the "Welcome to Northumbria" film being shown during Freshers week (even though I do Business and not Drama/Acting etc).

I can't decide though whether it's a forward or backward step from my sensational appearance in front of 9 million people on the Antiques Roadshow back in 2008...
(20 Aug 2015, 5:57 pm)Adam wrote Got an email from someone at uni asking me to star in the "Welcome to Northumbria" film being shown during Freshers week (even though I do Business and not Drama/Acting etc).

I can't decide though whether it's a forward or backward step from my sensational appearance in front of 9 million people on the Antiques Roadshow back in 2008...

Hehe..! I never did find that.
(20 Aug 2015, 5:58 pm)R852 PRG wrote Hehe..! I never did find that.

thank goodness. It's so embarrassing watching a pre-teenage Adam Sad
Might as well go for it, Adam. Aye, on the downside, you risk looking like a tit, but either way it shows you're not afraid of gettin involved in promotional projects in addition to giving yourself something to talk about in interviews, covering letters or CV's. Nowt to lose really.
(20 Aug 2015, 5:57 pm)Adam wrote Got an email from someone at uni asking me to star in the "Welcome to Northumbria" film being shown during Freshers week (even though I do Business and not Drama/Acting etc).

New College made me pose as a bricklayer for some photos which is probably the worst photo of me ever and has unfortunately been used some places. I noticed a photo of someone else from my course on a bus stop in Durham yesterday, so I hope my mug isn't being plastered round Durham right now
(20 Aug 2015, 6:06 pm)MurdnunoC wrote Might as well go for it, Adam. Aye, on the downside, you risk looking like a tit, but either way it shows you're not afraid of gettin involved in promotional projects in addition to giving yourself something to talk about in interviews, covering letters or CV's. Nowt to lose really.

I'm sure I'll get some stick from my friends who'll be watching it during Freshers.

Aye, it does have those benefits though like you mention Smile
Marxista Fozzski

Go for it, it will be a laugh...Thats the kind of thing I would do, but I do have a history studying drama
(20 Aug 2015, 6:10 pm)Jimmi wrote New College made me pose as a bricklayer for some photos which is probably the worst photo of me ever and has unfortunately been used some places. I noticed a photo of someone else from my course on a bus stop in Durham yesterday, so I hope my mug isn't being plastered round Durham right now
I volunteered to be the face of the Access Course Prospectus at East Durham College on 2008 me and one of the girls did it

[Image: eed6929f438171c5160039b0c2560432.jpg]
[Image: 754aefca1d8ca08508dd67154782a58f.jpg]
(21 Aug 2015, 7:40 pm)citaro5284 wrote Save it Michael.....think of that £651 for the bus pass  Tongue

Tongue well might come back with alot of money haha

Hopefully my student loan comes through soon to... still waiting for them to approve it.... -.-
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.