Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2015

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (28): Previous 113 14 1528 Next
Davie
Banned
17 Dec 2015, 3:16 pm
3943 is out today. Was on a Newcastle bound X1at about 13:33 at Wrekenton if anyone wants a photo
Davie
17 Dec 2015, 3:16 pm #261

3943 is out today. Was on a Newcastle bound X1at about 13:33 at Wrekenton if anyone wants a photo

17 Dec 2015, 4:43 pm
(16 Dec 2015, 10:19 pm)Jimmi I love a good old route map, they actually help me to visualise the a route. I particularly like my leaflet for the Durham County Council map of services in County Durham.

By having the maps concentrated on a specific, smaller area - then there isn't massive wholesale re-prints, whenever a re-cast of the routes happens.

I agree though, a map can provide a lot of visual assitance.

(16 Dec 2015, 11:18 pm)Greg in Weardale Yes, very good idea. As I've said before proper maps should be on each GNE timetable like Arriva's (and on Toonlink X30/31) However maps of each area showing all routes is a good idea too. Only trouble is, I couldn't get them to download!

I think the ANE maps on the timetables are great, but would love them to be supplemented by something like GNE have introduced.
Say I wanted to transfer from the 7 to the 6 and needed the map to assist me, it would need two timetables - just for the maps.
Having a network one, would save me having having to source or print out the timetables.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
17 Dec 2015, 4:43 pm #262

(16 Dec 2015, 10:19 pm)Jimmi I love a good old route map, they actually help me to visualise the a route. I particularly like my leaflet for the Durham County Council map of services in County Durham.

By having the maps concentrated on a specific, smaller area - then there isn't massive wholesale re-prints, whenever a re-cast of the routes happens.

I agree though, a map can provide a lot of visual assitance.

(16 Dec 2015, 11:18 pm)Greg in Weardale Yes, very good idea. As I've said before proper maps should be on each GNE timetable like Arriva's (and on Toonlink X30/31) However maps of each area showing all routes is a good idea too. Only trouble is, I couldn't get them to download!

I think the ANE maps on the timetables are great, but would love them to be supplemented by something like GNE have introduced.
Say I wanted to transfer from the 7 to the 6 and needed the map to assist me, it would need two timetables - just for the maps.
Having a network one, would save me having having to source or print out the timetables.

18 Dec 2015, 10:00 am
Any more Duel door B10s been converted to become DDA?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
18 Dec 2015, 10:00 am #263

Any more Duel door B10s been converted to become DDA?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Diamond One
Banned
18 Dec 2015, 11:27 am
(18 Dec 2015, 10:00 am)Michael Any more Duel door B10s been converted to become DDA?

Not many now last I recalled
Diamond One
18 Dec 2015, 11:27 am #264

(18 Dec 2015, 10:00 am)Michael Any more Duel door B10s been converted to become DDA?

Not many now last I recalled

Dan
Site Administrator
18 Dec 2015, 12:55 pm

(18 Dec 2015, 11:27 am)Diamond One Not many now last I recalled

Apologies - my fault for not keeping you all updated, but I've now updated the news page.

Volvo B10BLEs 5154, 5157 and 5171 were all sent to Thorntons earlier this week for DDA modifications. The remaining Volvo B10BLEs which aren't DDA-compliant but presently remain in service (5151, 5158 and 5160) are all in a reserve role awaiting withdrawal, having been previously replaced by other vehicles. None of these vehicles are out in service today, but were yesterday.
Dan
18 Dec 2015, 12:55 pm #265

(18 Dec 2015, 11:27 am)Diamond One Not many now last I recalled

Apologies - my fault for not keeping you all updated, but I've now updated the news page.

Volvo B10BLEs 5154, 5157 and 5171 were all sent to Thorntons earlier this week for DDA modifications. The remaining Volvo B10BLEs which aren't DDA-compliant but presently remain in service (5151, 5158 and 5160) are all in a reserve role awaiting withdrawal, having been previously replaced by other vehicles. None of these vehicles are out in service today, but were yesterday.

18 Dec 2015, 1:00 pm
(18 Dec 2015, 12:55 pm)Dan Apologies - my fault for not keeping you all updated, but I've now updated the news page.

Volvo B10BLEs 5154, 5157 and 5171 were all sent to Thorntons earlier this week for DDA modifications. The remaining Volvo B10BLEs which aren't DDA-compliant but presently remain in service (5151, 5158 and 5160) are all awaiting withdrawal, having been previously replaced by other vehicles.

Thanks for the update Dan

Does that confirm GNE will be withdrawing the Cadets/Merits next year with the Scania's when the Prince Bishops gain the Streetlites?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
18 Dec 2015, 1:00 pm #266

(18 Dec 2015, 12:55 pm)Dan Apologies - my fault for not keeping you all updated, but I've now updated the news page.

Volvo B10BLEs 5154, 5157 and 5171 were all sent to Thorntons earlier this week for DDA modifications. The remaining Volvo B10BLEs which aren't DDA-compliant but presently remain in service (5151, 5158 and 5160) are all awaiting withdrawal, having been previously replaced by other vehicles.

Thanks for the update Dan

Does that confirm GNE will be withdrawing the Cadets/Merits next year with the Scania's when the Prince Bishops gain the Streetlites?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

DanPicken
Banned
18 Dec 2015, 1:06 pm
(18 Dec 2015, 1:00 pm)Michael Thanks for the update Dan

Surely the Renowns first as they're older.
DanPicken
18 Dec 2015, 1:06 pm #267

(18 Dec 2015, 1:00 pm)Michael Thanks for the update Dan

Surely the Renowns first as they're older.

18 Dec 2015, 1:08 pm
(18 Dec 2015, 1:06 pm)DanPicken Surely the Renowns first as they're older.

I wasn't sure as they've just paid for them to be converted to become DDA and it seems the Cadets are going first with some of them ending up on Route training.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
18 Dec 2015, 1:08 pm #268

I wasn't sure as they've just paid for them to be converted to become DDA and it seems the Cadets are going first with some of them ending up on Route training.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan
Site Administrator
18 Dec 2015, 1:13 pm

(18 Dec 2015, 1:08 pm)Michael I wasn't sure as they've just paid for them to be converted to become DDA and it seems the Cadets are going first with some of them ending up on Route training.

The book value on full size single deckers and double deckers is expected to depreciate over the vehicle's life span of 15 years. Midibuses and minibuses are only expected to depreciate over a life span of 12 years.
Dan
18 Dec 2015, 1:13 pm #269

(18 Dec 2015, 1:08 pm)Michael I wasn't sure as they've just paid for them to be converted to become DDA and it seems the Cadets are going first with some of them ending up on Route training.

The book value on full size single deckers and double deckers is expected to depreciate over the vehicle's life span of 15 years. Midibuses and minibuses are only expected to depreciate over a life span of 12 years.

DanPicken
Banned
18 Dec 2015, 1:13 pm

It may of been since they couldn't get Streetshites in time, it's only the Cadets which are unreliable.
DanPicken
18 Dec 2015, 1:13 pm #270

It may of been since they couldn't get Streetshites in time, it's only the Cadets which are unreliable.

18 Dec 2015, 1:17 pm
(18 Dec 2015, 1:13 pm)DanPicken It may of been since they couldn't get Streetshites in time, it's only the Cadets which are unreliable.

Not of all them are lol.

(18 Dec 2015, 1:13 pm)Dan The book value on full size single deckers and double deckers is expected to depreciate over the vehicle's life span of 15 years. Midibuses and minibuses are only expected to depreciate over a life span of 12 years.

I would of liked to see the Cadets go, but as it seems from your post it will be the B10's... least they are DDA brings more value to them...

Was hoping to see Scania's on the 33/33A and 39.....

Or i'm i reading to much in to this like normal................... haha

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
18 Dec 2015, 1:17 pm #271

(18 Dec 2015, 1:13 pm)DanPicken It may of been since they couldn't get Streetshites in time, it's only the Cadets which are unreliable.

Not of all them are lol.

(18 Dec 2015, 1:13 pm)Dan The book value on full size single deckers and double deckers is expected to depreciate over the vehicle's life span of 15 years. Midibuses and minibuses are only expected to depreciate over a life span of 12 years.

I would of liked to see the Cadets go, but as it seems from your post it will be the B10's... least they are DDA brings more value to them...

Was hoping to see Scania's on the 33/33A and 39.....

Or i'm i reading to much in to this like normal................... haha

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Diamond One
Banned
18 Dec 2015, 1:24 pm
Just seen 7120 on route familiarisation looks nice
Diamond One
18 Dec 2015, 1:24 pm #272

Just seen 7120 on route familiarisation looks nice

18 Dec 2015, 3:35 pm
If Streetdecks are coming for X21 let's take the opportunity to revive the OK Express(way) brand on it with that wonderful traditional style livery the Scanias had for the OK1. But please, no windows blocked by branding, as being able to see out is especially important on long routes (and I and everyone I know think its important on all routes).
Greg in Weardale
18 Dec 2015, 3:35 pm #273

If Streetdecks are coming for X21 let's take the opportunity to revive the OK Express(way) brand on it with that wonderful traditional style livery the Scanias had for the OK1. But please, no windows blocked by branding, as being able to see out is especially important on long routes (and I and everyone I know think its important on all routes).

18 Dec 2015, 4:19 pm
(18 Dec 2015, 3:35 pm)Greg in Weardale If Streetdecks are coming for X21 let's take the opportunity to revive the OK Express(way) brand on it with that wonderful traditional style livery the Scanias had for the OK1. But please, no windows blocked by branding, as being able to see out is especially important on long routes (and I and everyone I know think its important on all routes).

I completely understand why some people wish to see something OK Travel-related return for the Newcastle-Bishop Auckland service, given the heritage of the route; but I don't think Go North East will do that if these Streetdecks are destined for the X21. As with previous orders, I imagine plug sockets, free WiFi, e-leather seating and an attractive new brand would be applied to these new vehicles before they enter service. Aside from those who can remember OK Travel (anybody post-1990 or so will no doubt struggle, so that more or less wipes out people aged below 25), what does applying a brand of that sort to new buses do for young customers? They are the focus of the company's marketing targets in many respects, and will be left somewhat confused by it. Those who can remember OK, won't be here forever, and Go North East have to look towards the future. Yet some enthusiasts will throw their toys out of the pram should a new vehicle emerge with anything but an ''OK'' livery...
R852 PRG
18 Dec 2015, 4:19 pm #274

(18 Dec 2015, 3:35 pm)Greg in Weardale If Streetdecks are coming for X21 let's take the opportunity to revive the OK Express(way) brand on it with that wonderful traditional style livery the Scanias had for the OK1. But please, no windows blocked by branding, as being able to see out is especially important on long routes (and I and everyone I know think its important on all routes).

I completely understand why some people wish to see something OK Travel-related return for the Newcastle-Bishop Auckland service, given the heritage of the route; but I don't think Go North East will do that if these Streetdecks are destined for the X21. As with previous orders, I imagine plug sockets, free WiFi, e-leather seating and an attractive new brand would be applied to these new vehicles before they enter service. Aside from those who can remember OK Travel (anybody post-1990 or so will no doubt struggle, so that more or less wipes out people aged below 25), what does applying a brand of that sort to new buses do for young customers? They are the focus of the company's marketing targets in many respects, and will be left somewhat confused by it. Those who can remember OK, won't be here forever, and Go North East have to look towards the future. Yet some enthusiasts will throw their toys out of the pram should a new vehicle emerge with anything but an ''OK'' livery...

18 Dec 2015, 4:27 pm
And to compliment the above, the X21 has been branded Pronto since the service was introduced in its current guise. I think it would be wrong to change it given that customers are more familiar with the Pronto brand.
S813 FVK
18 Dec 2015, 4:27 pm #275

And to compliment the above, the X21 has been branded Pronto since the service was introduced in its current guise. I think it would be wrong to change it given that customers are more familiar with the Pronto brand.

18 Dec 2015, 4:32 pm
(18 Dec 2015, 4:27 pm)S813 FVK And to compliment the above, the X21 has been branded Pronto since the service was introduced in its current guise. I think it would be wrong to change it given that customers are more familiar with the Pronto brand.

It has, if they are sticking to Pronto then i hope its designed better as the current one is quite rubbish in my opinion.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
18 Dec 2015, 4:32 pm #276

(18 Dec 2015, 4:27 pm)S813 FVK And to compliment the above, the X21 has been branded Pronto since the service was introduced in its current guise. I think it would be wrong to change it given that customers are more familiar with the Pronto brand.

It has, if they are sticking to Pronto then i hope its designed better as the current one is quite rubbish in my opinion.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

18 Dec 2015, 4:39 pm
6020 was looking forlorn this morning at Chester Moor. Had a fitter attending to it.
I think it was 6020 that I saw parked up on Saturday with its hazards on.

re OK vs Pronto and ages. The Northern name was phased out years ago, made a comeback and has now been introduced as a brand.
Post 86, there was no such thing as 'Northern', only variants of it.
A gap of 20+ years prior to it being reintroduced.
The OK name vanished in the mid/late 90's.

If Northern is ok (no pun intended), why not OK? 

Andreos1
18 Dec 2015, 4:39 pm #277

6020 was looking forlorn this morning at Chester Moor. Had a fitter attending to it.

re OK vs Pronto and ages. The Northern name was phased out years ago, made a comeback and has now been introduced as a brand.

18 Dec 2015, 4:48 pm
Difference is (or at least to me!) that OK was an acquisition, whereas Northern is the company's roots. Similar to Stagecoach with Busways and Transit.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
18 Dec 2015, 4:48 pm #278

Difference is (or at least to me!) that OK was an acquisition, whereas Northern is the company's roots. Similar to Stagecoach with Busways and Transit.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

18 Dec 2015, 5:21 pm
(18 Dec 2015, 4:39 pm)Andreos1 6020 was looking forlorn this morning at Chester Moor. Had a fitter attending to it.

I agree with what Adrian says in a way; but ''Northern'' was far more of a household name in the region than ''OK'' was. In my opinion, the former deserves to hold, albeit a limited, name within the company nowadays, while ''OK'' was just amalgamated into Go Ahead Northern upon acquisition. Another point is that the current usage of ''Northern'' as a brand for the OmniDekkas on the 6, X70 and X71 is that it has been applied to vehicles that are 11/12 years old and will be removed from service within the next five years if their expected shelf live is acknowledged. With the case of reviving ''OK'' for some brand new vehicles, which are at the top of their range, it wouldn't be right in my opinion to apply the livery of something so far into the past onto something brand new. It would be like giving an iPhone 6S to a man still living in the 1950s.
R852 PRG
18 Dec 2015, 5:21 pm #279

(18 Dec 2015, 4:39 pm)Andreos1 6020 was looking forlorn this morning at Chester Moor. Had a fitter attending to it.

I agree with what Adrian says in a way; but ''Northern'' was far more of a household name in the region than ''OK'' was. In my opinion, the former deserves to hold, albeit a limited, name within the company nowadays, while ''OK'' was just amalgamated into Go Ahead Northern upon acquisition. Another point is that the current usage of ''Northern'' as a brand for the OmniDekkas on the 6, X70 and X71 is that it has been applied to vehicles that are 11/12 years old and will be removed from service within the next five years if their expected shelf live is acknowledged. With the case of reviving ''OK'' for some brand new vehicles, which are at the top of their range, it wouldn't be right in my opinion to apply the livery of something so far into the past onto something brand new. It would be like giving an iPhone 6S to a man still living in the 1950s.

18 Dec 2015, 5:58 pm
Quite a few young people on this forum lamented the passing of the OK Expressway livery and Northern, Venture and Diamond all refer to historic operators around the area now served by the brands. There's nowt wrong with having some traditionally named brands and liveries along with some modern, trendy ones. The X21 is now an ideal case for the former. And several brands (some good, some not) have been replaced recently eg Highwayman to Green Arrow, (quite liked both), Laser (so so) to See it, do it (naff), Lime (stupid name) to Coast & Country (not bad) etc. Pronto is a pretty silly name and not a brilliant livery. The Bishop - Newcastle route was the main line of OK (for both constituent companies, Emerson and Howe) so there's a relevance there, (which there wasn't with the OK1 route) and it was a brilliant livery. I hope Prince Bishops will be kept as it's a good brand (being pedantic, it would have more relevance to a Durham (Cathedral) to Bishop Auckland (home of the Bishop) route, but the name does cover the whole area as the  "Land of the Prince Bishops" because in mediaeval times the Bishop ruled what is now County Durham and Northumberland in the name of the King (end of history lesson).
Greg in Weardale
18 Dec 2015, 5:58 pm #280

Quite a few young people on this forum lamented the passing of the OK Expressway livery and Northern, Venture and Diamond all refer to historic operators around the area now served by the brands. There's nowt wrong with having some traditionally named brands and liveries along with some modern, trendy ones. The X21 is now an ideal case for the former. And several brands (some good, some not) have been replaced recently eg Highwayman to Green Arrow, (quite liked both), Laser (so so) to See it, do it (naff), Lime (stupid name) to Coast & Country (not bad) etc. Pronto is a pretty silly name and not a brilliant livery. The Bishop - Newcastle route was the main line of OK (for both constituent companies, Emerson and Howe) so there's a relevance there, (which there wasn't with the OK1 route) and it was a brilliant livery. I hope Prince Bishops will be kept as it's a good brand (being pedantic, it would have more relevance to a Durham (Cathedral) to Bishop Auckland (home of the Bishop) route, but the name does cover the whole area as the  "Land of the Prince Bishops" because in mediaeval times the Bishop ruled what is now County Durham and Northumberland in the name of the King (end of history lesson).

Pages (28): Previous 113 14 1528 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possibly Related Threads…
Replies 0
Views 36656
06 Mar 2020, 11:35 am
Last Post by V514DFT