You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2016

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2016

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2016
(26 Feb 2016, 7:39 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote What will the pronto presidents replace when the streetdecks arrive

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if they're directly withdrawn. They're 16 years old now anyway, which is their average shelf life, not to mention they're shot to pieces. I imagine they'd sell quite quickly, should they move on from the fleet, as low-floor deckers must be in high demand for independents who are looking to get rid of high-floor Olympians.
(26 Feb 2016, 7:59 pm)R852 PRG wrote Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if they're directly withdrawn. They're 16 years old now anyway, which is their average shelf life, not to mention they're shot to pieces. I imagine they'd sell quite quickly, should they move on from the fleet, as low-floor deckers must be in high demand for independents who are looking to get rid of high-floor Olympians.

There not shot, Some of them still run quite pleasantly after having a life in London then the X21 for 3 years. 6040 is excellent.
The B7TLs will more likely replace the remaining Tridents and Olympians with the Tridents going to smaller operators without GNE bearing the coast to modify them to DDA.
(26 Feb 2016, 8:04 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote There not shot, Some of them still run quite pleasantly after having a life in London then the X21 for 3 years. 6040 is excellent.
The B7TLs will more likely replace the remaining Tridents and Olympians with the Tridents going to smaller operators without GNE bearing the coast to modify them to DDA.

Trust me, they're shot. Some of them spend more time on the pits at Chester-le-Street than they do in service. I imagine further cascades from Brighton & Hove, should they release more OmniDekkas, will allow the withdrawal of the Lolynes and Olympians. I think the Olympians and Lolynes will go for scrap, and then Presidents will be sold on to independents, as they're DDA-compliant, to allow them to get rid of some of their non-DDA compliant vehicles.
(26 Feb 2016, 7:59 pm)R852 PRG wrote Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if they're directly withdrawn. They're 16 years old now anyway, which is their average shelf life, not to mention they're shot to pieces. I imagine they'd sell quite quickly, should they move on from the fleet, as low-floor deckers must be in high demand for independents who are looking to get rid of high-floor Olympians.

The better ones are undoubtedly needed to replace GNE's own high floor Olympians!

Unless there's plans for any September acquisitions which will deal with that problem more efficiently.
(26 Feb 2016, 8:11 pm)R852 PRG wrote Trust me, they're shot. Some of them spend more time on the pits at Chester-le-Street than they do in service. I imagine further cascades from Brighton & Hove, should they release more OmniDekkas, will allow the withdrawal of the Lolynes and Olympians. I think the Olympians and Lolynes will go for scrap, and then Presidents will be sold on to independents, as they're DDA-compliant, to allow them to get rid of some of their non-DDA compliant vehicles.

Hopefully no more Omnidekkas

(26 Feb 2016, 9:30 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Hopefully no more Omnidekkas

Apparently some more are getting cascaded up.
(26 Feb 2016, 9:49 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote Send them to washington get rid of the presidents especialy 6042
I wish they were for Washington, especially if it means 6042 can transfer out. If any more are to arrive, I reckon they be based at either Chester Le Street or Stanley.

(26 Feb 2016, 9:50 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote I believe so as there's a unspecified amount of New Vehicles for B&H this year from what I've heard.

Yeah, I've heard they're getting quite a few more Streetdeck's meaning the Omnidekka's can be cascaded up here.
(26 Feb 2016, 9:29 pm)BusLoverMum wrote The better ones are undoubtedly needed to replace GNE's own high floor Olympians!

Unless there's plans for any September acquisitions which will deal with that problem more efficiently.

Better to replace some 18 year old high-floor vehicles with some significantly younger buses, such as OmniDekkas, rather than the ex-London Presidents, which are just a couple of years their junior. More effective in the long run.
(26 Feb 2016, 9:49 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote Send them to washington get rid of the presidents especialy 6042

I'd have thought any further OmniDekkas heading north would be direct replacements for Olympians and Lolynes. Also, an element of depot standardisation would come into play; it would be better to have the OmniDekkas all based at Stanley (if possible) for engineering purposes. Personally, I can't see any going to Washington. Possibly, if more do cascade, 4 could enter service at Chester-le-Street as direct replacements for 3869/72/75/78. However, with depot standardisation in mind, it would be better to send 4 OmniDekkas to Stanley, and send 4 ex-London Presidents from Stanley to Chester-le-Street. All OmniDekkas are therefore located at Stanley, and 4 of Stanley's 6 B7TL Presidents are rehomed at Chester-le-Street, which already has a number of them allocated. The remaining pair could be sent elsewhere. Just my theory on what would happen, anyhow.
(26 Feb 2016, 10:23 pm)R852 PRG wrote Better to replace some 18 year old high-floor vehicles with some significantly younger buses, such as OmniDekkas, rather than the ex-London Presidents, which are just a couple of years their junior. More effective in the long run.
Another reason could be reliability, the Omnidekka's are far more reliable than the B7 President's ino.
(26 Feb 2016, 10:23 pm)R852 PRG wrote Better to replace some 18 year old high-floor vehicles with some significantly younger buses, such as OmniDekkas, rather than the ex-London Presidents, which are just a couple of years their junior. More effective in the long run.

From a passenger PoV, the prised em
Nuts (what?) presidents are a comfy ride, though.

Still suffering with some really debilitating pain after last week's ride on the 6, though. The driver hated it, too.
(26 Feb 2016, 11:09 pm)BusLoverMum wrote From a passenger PoV, the prised em
Nuts (what?) presidents are a comfy ride, though.

Still suffering with some really debilitating pain after last week's ride on the 6, though. The driver hated it, too.

Interesting. I can remember when I rode 6125 on it's first day in service, on an afternoon X30 from Lanchester to Stanley, where a driver changeover took place. I recall hearing the driver being relieved expressing how much he loved it. Looks like their novelty has worn off.
Actually any depots that operated Scania L94UBs should be able to cope with the Omnidekkas with no issue. The only difference to the single decker chassis is that the Omnidekka has the Scania N94UD chassis which means the engine is aligned differently.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(26 Feb 2016, 11:22 pm)R852 PRG wrote Interesting. I can remember when I rode 6125 on it's first day in service, on an afternoon X30 from Lanchester to Stanley, where a driver changeover took place. I recall hearing the driver being relieved expressing how much he loved it. Looks like their novelty has worn off.

I actually quite like the Omnidekkas. I always try and bag the rear door side seat on the lower deck when i'm on one just for that soft little arm rest (there is one on both sides but i can see more from the right).

Managed to resist the urge to correct you on something too lol.
(26 Feb 2016, 11:31 pm)S813 FVK wrote I actually quite like the Omnidekkas. I always try and bag the rear door side seat on the lower deck when i'm on one just for that soft little arm rest (there is one on both sides but i can see more from the right).

Same here, they sound like an Olympian, in my view. They have an amount of power that could match one, too. Don't think I've ever sat downstairs on one, however, always tend to have gone for my preferred spot, upstairs above the driver.
(26 Feb 2016, 11:33 pm)R852 PRG wrote Same here, they sound like an Olympian, in my view. They have an amount of power that could match one, too. Don't think I've ever sat downstairs on one, however, always tend to have gone for my preferred spot, upstairs above the driver.
They've been alright when I've had them, although much like Omnicitys they do seem to shake a bit when they go over poor road surfaces. If I can't bag the front seat upstairs, I go for the one behind the staircase as there is good leg room there. Not been on many, since they entered service I've only really done a few journeys between the Metrocentre and Newcastle and once bagged one on the 15 to Durham.
(26 Feb 2016, 11:33 pm)R852 PRG wrote Same here, they sound like an Olympian, in my view. They have an amount of power that could match one, too. Don't think I've ever sat downstairs on one, however, always tend to have gone for my preferred spot, upstairs above the driver.

Can't argue with the power. They feel horribly unstable on bends, though (this from an omnicity lover) and the vibrations, on top of those seats, had me on the edge of tears. The old hip injury that had flared up in the past few weeks has progressd to trapped nerve symptoms, since then. I actually have numb patches of skin, which is a bad sign.
All this talk of nigh on 2 decade old B7s is making me feel bloody old

I don't think they are awful buses in the engine sense but they are iextremely uncomfortable with poor leg room, a bouncy ride, freezing temps and I hate their daily allocation to the Angel (which deserves better!) Nothing worse than a B7 at rush hour on the 21. It also makes me like the hybrids....or a GCT Bluebird
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(27 Feb 2016, 1:09 am)Ambassador wrote All this talk of nigh on 2 decade old B7s is making me feel bloody old

I don't think they are awful buses in the engine sense but they are iextremely uncomfortable with poor leg room, a bouncy ride, freezing temps and I hate their daily allocation to the Angel (which deserves better!) Nothing worse than a B7 at rush hour on the 21. It also makes me like the hybrids....or a GCT Bluebird

I think it was on Monday when I saw two of Chester's getting tlc from a fitter.
Whilst some are grim inside (and I dislike the positioning of the stairs), I don't mind getting one. Once going on a faster section of roas, I find they tend to ride well from experience.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(27 Feb 2016, 10:47 am)Jimmi wrote In case anyone is on the lookout, 9104 is currently on the 683 and 9106 is currently on the 682. Just managed to snap 9106 through the window on the 685!

9105 is on 185/681.
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
(26 Feb 2016, 10:27 pm)Davie wrote Another reason could be reliability, the Omnidekka's are far more reliable than the B7 President's ino.

Or so we thought, 6131 has failed at Metrocentre heading for Newcastle while on the 6. 8341 & 633 have both been taken out of service.
(27 Feb 2016, 12:05 pm)DanPicken wrote Or so we thought, 6131 has failed at Metrocentre heading for Newcastle while on the 6. 8341 & 633 have both been taken out of service.

1 breakdown does not mean a type of bus is unreliable.
(27 Feb 2016, 1:09 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote According to the news 542 has transferred to deptford

Anyone know what it will be allocated to?
(27 Feb 2016, 1:09 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote According to the news 542 has transferred to deptford

The first Prince Bishop scania is now "Go North East" - 4945.

From the news.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.