You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Non-Bus Related Days Out!
(25 Feb 2016, 6:52 am)Adrian wrote I'd do the same to be fair. You've less to grumble about when it's costing you nothing...

(25 Feb 2016, 9:24 am)GX03 SVC wrote I had free Arriva vouchers, I didn't go primarily on Arriva buses on those outings...

That's great, however, I'm going to make the most of it, and I'm trying to do it on a budget, considering I've forked out nearly £200 this month on petrol money for trips away.
I have recently spent some time in Manchester, attending meetings for the majoriry of the time there.

Ignoring the bus network, which is standard city centre stuff (the only things that jumped out were vehicles taking part in what looked like a Sapphire upgrade and Go Goodwins Excel in an all over wrap.

I did manage to blag some time on the tram network. Points of interest was having a look at the Victoria conversion/upgrade and also the old East Lancs Railway up to Bury from Victoria.
I have done the preserved section many moons ago (about 20 years ago), so it was nice to see the other section.

Just like the metro, a lot of the non-city stuff uses reclaimed lines. The Bury line being 3rd line supplied originally.
Unlike the metro, TfGM have sourced new stock (I think this is the 2nd or 3rd lot).
However, Bury Interchange hasn't had the money spent on it compared to the Nexus interchanges at the likes of Gateshead.
I was surprised to see it looking just as it did the last time I was there.

Whilst in Bury, I had a look at the fleet of Rosso - part of Rossendale Council. They hsd some decent looking, but standard vehicles.
I noted first operated bendy Merc's into Manchester from Bury too.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
I have a week off work so fancied a little train outing today:

0622 - Newcastle to Edinburgh (arriving 0807) - VTEC HST (1S01)
1051 - Edinburgh to Crewe (arriving 1357) - VTWC 11 Coach Pendolino (9M54)
1422 - Crewe to London Euston (arriving 1559) - VTWC 9 Coach Pendolino (1A40)
1625 - St Pancras to Ebbsfleet International (arriving 1642) - Southeastern High Speed Javelin (1F46)
1648 - Ebbsfleet International to St Pancras (arriving 1710) - Southeastern High Speed Javelin (1F49)
1819 - London Kings Cross to Newcastle (arriving 2127) - VTEC Class 91 (1N29)

First time I have been on a Javelin, aye.....they go rather fast Tongue
Non-Bus Related Days Out!
Is the Northern service between Middlesbrough and Whitby worth doing? I am thinking of maybe doing it in the summer, possibly when I head to the Scarborough BusFest rally on May 21st although it's likely to be pricy to get a single from Newton Aycliffe so I'm wondering whether it would be worth the money or not.
(21 Apr 2016, 12:15 pm)Jimmi wrote Is the Northern service between Middlesbrough and Whitby worth doing? I am thinking of maybe doing it in the summer, possibly when I head to the Scarborough BusFest rally on May 21st although it's likely to be pricy to get a single from Newton Aycliffe so I'm wondering whether it would be worth the money or not.

I like it.

It may be worth looking at the Tyne Tees Day Ranger and seeing how that compares to other ticketing options.
(21 Apr 2016, 12:20 pm)Andreos1 wrote I like it.

It may be worth looking at the Tyne Tees Day Ranger and seeing how that compares to other ticketing options.

I have a Railcard so that will bump the price down a bit, unsure if I can use my Railcard discount on a Tyne Tees Day Ranger or any tickets like that.
Site Administrator
(21 Apr 2016, 12:23 pm)Jimmi wrote I have a Railcard so that will bump the price down a bit, unsure if I can use my Railcard discount on a Tyne Tees Day Ranger or any tickets like that.

It's £14.35 with a railcard as opposed to the normal adult fare of £21.70.
(21 Apr 2016, 1:55 pm)Jimmi wrote Is that the price for a Tyne Tees Day ticket?

The return will be £20 plus.
Obviously by having the ranger and the railcard discount - not only do you potentially save a few quid, it gives you a lot more flexibility.
You can get on/off as many times as you like.
(21 Apr 2016, 2:16 pm)Dan wrote Yes:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fare...bfea1.aspx

(21 Apr 2016, 2:23 pm)Andreos1 wrote The return will be £20 plus.
Obviously by having the ranger and the railcard discount - not only do you potentially save a few quid, it gives you a lot more flexibility.
You can get on/off as many times as you like.

Thanks both.

I will bare this in mind if I decide to get the train to Whitby on that day, I will certainly be travelling as Middlesbrough on the morning on Northern due to the lacking of early morning buses to Darlington, unsure about getting home but I will have more time to spend in Scarborough now as I'll have more options of getting home as the 5A starts running on a Sunday night the week before so this gives me two buses home from Darlington rather than just the one that I have now.

Seeing how far it's valid I may even do a train day round the North East one day as something different.

I will be able to buy it on the train won't I?
(21 Apr 2016, 2:40 pm)Jimmi wrote Thanks both.

I will bare this in mind if I decide to get the train to Whitby on that day, I will certainly be travelling as Middlesbrough on the morning on Northern due to the lacking of early morning buses to Darlington, unsure about getting home but I will have more time to spend in Scarborough now as I'll have more options of getting home as the 5A starts running on a Sunday night the week before so this gives me two buses home from Darlington rather than just the one that I have now.

Seeing how far it's valid I may even do a train day round the North East one day as something different.

I will be able to buy it on the train won't I?

I assume so. Particularly if the station  doesn't have ticket buying facilities.

There are a few rangers and robins that are worth looking at.
I think some of the lake district ones are valid on rail and bus. I certainly looked in to it in the past and they were then.
Site Administrator
(21 Apr 2016, 3:06 pm)Andreos1 wrote I assume so. Particularly if the station  doesn't have ticket buying facilities.

I think some of the lake district ones are valid on rail and bus. I certainly looked in to it in the past and they were then.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fare...c4cf1.aspx
(21 Apr 2016, 3:06 pm)Andreos1 wrote I assume so. Particularly if the station  doesn't have ticket buying facilities.

May look into all these ranger and robin tickets. Me and Fozz were once talking to an enthusiast in Park Lane who was staying in a hotel somewhere out of the North East and was visiting various other places over the course of a week.
(21 Apr 2016, 3:50 pm)Jimmi wrote May look into all these ranger and robin tickets. Me and Fozz were once talking to an enthusiast in Park Lane who was staying in a hotel somewhere out of the North East and was visiting various other places over the course of a week.

They're decent value and even better with a railcard discount!
Never knew about the rally then, I still need to get past James Cook Hospital(!) on the Nunthorpe/Whitby line. Also need to do the NYMR but that can wait.

I may do this in this case, Jimmi - I'll let you know nearer the time.
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
(05 May 2016, 12:47 pm)Jimmi wrote Finally popped me Metro cherry today!
[Image: 28e6ab4a6199121180ae1441da3043c4.jpg]

What a dark, dim, depressing place the Metro is

Oh and yes that is a terrible selfie!

Scary.

And yes, most of the underground section of the metro is pretty dismal.
(05 May 2016, 1:34 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Scary.

And yes, most of the underground section of the metro is pretty dismal.

Has anybody ever come across an underground railway that isn't a dismal place to be?!
(05 May 2016, 6:40 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Only in Moscow!
http://www.irishmanabroad.com/2013/04/mo...ut-moscow/

I don't know, the Pyongyang Metro System looks pretty good too.

Granted, its design takes influence from the subway systems of other Communist countries. And, of course, there's always the lingering doubt over whether it is this presentable all of the time.

[Image: 1280px-Pyongyang_Metro_Ceiling.jpg]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyongyang_Metro

Would love to experience it - no matter how unlikely that is!!
(05 May 2016, 8:06 pm)MurdnunoC wrote I don't know, the Pyongyang Metro System looks pretty good too.

Granted, its design takes influence from the subway systems of other Communist countries. And, of course, there's always the lingering doubt over whether it is this presentable all of the time.

Me too, I would love to go to North Korea.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(05 May 2016, 8:06 pm)MurdnunoC wrote I don't know, the Pyongyang Metro System looks pretty good too.

Those lights are quite something, nut the staff look scary and I'd be terrified of being caught sniggering at the state of Kim IL sung
Spent a cracking few hours at Cragside, earlier.

Big'un decided that since the food in the kitchen was fake, everything else must have been. I had to explain to him what the funny toilet with Taps really was. He was slightly disappointed to only see one bus there. I explained that Lird Armstrong was a very clever man but hadn't really needed to construct a bus station.

We also took a wrong turn off the easy walk. I didn't have my stick with me and I was out of breath with nerves in tatters by the time we reached the house from the iron bridge!
(08 May 2016, 5:07 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Spent a cracking few hours at Cragside, earlier.

Big'un decided that since the food in the kitchen was fake, everything else must have been. I had to explain to him what the funny toilet with Taps really was. He was slightly disappointed to only see one bus there. I explained that Lird Armstrong was a very clever man but hadn't really needed to construct a bus station.

We also took a wrong turn off the easy walk. I didn't have my stick with me and I was out of breath with nerves in tatters by the time we reached the house from the iron bridge!

Bit on the warm side for walking the day like!