You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016
(21 Sep 2016, 6:22 pm)Designline wrote Could someone please clarify this for me please, is arriva taking over Travelsure 472. because there has been a number of people saying this on facebook

This may help
(21 Sep 2016, 5:08 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote I think you'll find there are in a very bad state mechanically, Some of the examples have already been stated above.

To further Y935ERGs post, The Sea Air from the X18 has corroded there chassis severely, To the point that most are very rusty indeed.

If they arn't disposed of to Alphas they'll be disposed of to another division but good luck trying to find buyers for them.

They always seem to go alright when I've been on them on the X12.
(21 Sep 2016, 10:12 am)Stuartphin1639 wrote It's usually a split shift driver that gets it, certain drivers refuse to take it because of the bridge at coronation, even though you can fit it under there perfectly

How can a driver refuse to take it if its below the legal maximum height?!
Had a ride on 1403 this morning.

Amazed this is still kicking around. Saying that although it's rough as hell externally , what a good powerful ride she gives. Nice change to the usual X7/8 kit.
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(21 Sep 2016, 11:42 pm)Ambassador wrote Had a ride on 1403 this morning.

Amazed this is still kicking around. Saying that although it's rough as hell externally , what a good powerful ride she gives. Nice change to the usual X7/8 kit.
i think 1401/2/3 are staying at blyth but the two quorum branded ones will be repainted
(21 Sep 2016, 5:21 pm)Dan wrote Even if they are in a very bad state mechanically; I can't see Arriva disposing of them at nine years of age, when they've still got plenty of double-decks new in 2000 and 2001 to dispose of.

On that note - with service X18 reverting to its winter timetable from Sunday, 7481 will be withdrawn from service at Ashington:
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/NEB/news/?id=2261

Meanwhile the minibus PVR will increase, so 1764 will move from the reserve fleet to Ashington's allocated fleet:
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/NEB/news/?id=2260

No mention on the latest Fleet Allocation document about what will happen to 2816, but other movements are on the links below:
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/NEB/news/?id=2262
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/NEB/news/?id=2263

The latest fleet movements over the past few weeks have been added to our news/fleet lists. Not a great deal of information has been posted on the forum recently so I can't be sure that I've covered everything - if anyone spots anything I've missed, give me a shout!

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but 1774 never actually entered service with Durham.  It's been at Jesmond for the past 2-3 weeks at least.
(21 Sep 2016, 11:42 pm)Ambassador wrote Had a ride on 1403 this morning.

Actually these run a lot quicker than when new. I certainly prefer driving one of 1401/2/3 to all the Wright deckers with power issues currently at Blyth (about 50% of them now)!
(23 Sep 2016, 4:09 pm)Driver9*** wrote Actually these run a lot quicker than when new. I certainly prefer driving one of 1401/2/3 to all the Wright deckers with power issues currently at Blyth (about 50% of them now)!

Not good when they make up pretty much all of the allocation on the Blyth express services!
(22 Sep 2016, 7:00 am)Designline wrote i think 1401/2/3 are staying at blyth but the two quorum branded ones will be repainted

Surely the logical thing would've been to refurb 1401/2/3 to MAX spares when the X7/X8/X9 got upgraded. I hate waiting and seeing a Commander show up in lieu of a proper MAX spec vehicle.
(22 Sep 2016, 2:32 pm)Designline wrote I think that arriva should Brand 1764 for the 472. but everyone probably think its stupid

No chance of that happening, we never see Arriva branding the infrequent services....  :s
(21 Sep 2016, 1:49 pm)GX03 SVC wrote They aint, the metalwork on those are so corroded that an engineer fell through the floor in one when they were delivered to Durham.

I'd expect VLAs to displace them to disposal.

They ain't corroded any more than any other vehicle of that age!
(23 Sep 2016, 6:26 pm)X8X9X10 wrote Surely the logical thing would've been to refurb 1401/2/3 to MAX spares when the X7/X8/X9 got upgraded. I hate waiting and seeing a Commander show up in lieu of a proper MAX spec vehicle.

Why not Max them for the Stockton X22?
(23 Sep 2016, 6:26 pm)X8X9X10 wrote Surely the logical thing would've been to refurb 1401/2/3 to MAX spares when the X7/X8/X9 got upgraded. I hate waiting and seeing a Commander show up in lieu of a proper MAX spec vehicle.

Because they were supposed to be moving on - plus there was plenty of Pulsars at Blyth to be done.

(23 Sep 2016, 8:05 pm)Cock Robin wrote Why not Max them for the Stockton X22?

Likelihood is the X22 going MAX will just see some of Stockton's own Pulsars being MAX'd. After all, likely the increase of running boards requiring MAX vehicles will see 4 done to add an extra spare.
(23 Sep 2016, 8:09 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Likelihood is the X22 going MAX will just see some of Stockton's own Pulsars being MAX'd. After all, likely the increase of running boards requiring MAX vehicles will see 4 done to add an extra spare.

Maybe then they will have enough to make the X12 MAX 7 days a week Smile
(23 Sep 2016, 8:20 pm)S813 FVK wrote Maybe then they will have enough to make the X12 MAX 7 days a week Smile

I don't Sundays will ever get sorted, unless they start running branded streetlites on everything - ensuring the minimum spec is provided?
(23 Sep 2016, 4:09 pm)Driver9*** wrote Actually these run a lot quicker than when new. I certainly prefer driving one of 1401/2/3 to all the Wright deckers with power issues currently at Blyth (about 50% of them now)!

That's really interesting.i catch the ex 7.42 out of Haymarket and it's very very rarely a Max spec, assume it's planned at way. Legroom on that batch is better too. 1403 along Grandstand Road in those bus lanes is fantastic!

On a side note, he's a lovely bloke but that 555 Quorum Shuttle bloke must get demented
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(23 Sep 2016, 10:00 pm)Ambassador wrote That's really interesting.i catch the ex 7.42 out of Haymarket and it's very very rarely a Max spec, assume it's planned at way. Legroom on that batch is better too. 1403 along Grandstand Road in those bus lanes is fantastic!

I was told by a close friend that Blyth depot have a system of putting any business on a route to make sure tthe service is on time. Can someone please confirm/deny this please?

(23 Sep 2016, 10:00 pm)Ambassador wrote That's really interesting.i catch the ex 7.42 out of Haymarket and it's very very rarely a Max spec, assume it's planned at way. Legroom on that batch is better too. 1403 along Grandstand Road in those bus lanes is fantastic!

I was told by a close friend that Blyth depot have a system of putting any business on a route to make sure tthe service is on time. Can someone please confirm/deny this please?

(21 Sep 2016, 1:49 pm)GX03 SVC wrote They aint, the metalwork on those are so corroded that an engineer fell through the floor in one when they were delivered to Durham.

I'd expect VLAs to displace them to disposal.

They ain't corroded any more than any other vehicle of that age
(24 Sep 2016, 5:58 am)NK06JXC wrote I was told by a close friend that Blyth depot have a system of putting any business on a route to make sure tthe service is on time. Can someone please confirm/deny this please?

Yes this is true.
(24 Sep 2016, 7:16 am)GX03 SVC wrote Yes this is true.

Blyth can to an extent get away with it because with it being the terminus of practically all of it's routes, a new bus and driver can be deployed to time correct another service. GNE used to do the same with the TEN at Hexham by having 3941 or 42 ready to go if a late runner came in. The B9 taken off would do the same next or wait another 3 hours to be reallocated if not needed.

Only issue with this is when it happens to the hybrids which in theory shouldn't happen but it does.

What would be the ideal bus for the Blyth express services?

I know that the Enviro 400 has come a long way since the Euro 4 examples (7501-7513).
If/when the X21 goes MAX will this see MAX branded EcoCities? Or will Pulsars be allocated and the Ecos moved back to the 12 for instance?
(24 Sep 2016, 8:37 am)JoshP wrote If/when the X21 goes MAX will this see MAX branded EcoCities? Or will Pulsars be allocated and the Ecos moved back to the 12 for instance?

I don't think we'll be seeing MAX'd EcoCity. I reckon we'll see 4812-4 moved onto the 8/8a to release Pulsars for refurbishment.
(24 Sep 2016, 9:11 am)Kuyoyo wrote I don't think we'll be seeing MAX'd EcoCity. I reckon we'll see 4812-4 moved onto the 8/8a to release Pulsars for refurbishment.
I don't believe that EcoCitys would be suitable for the 8/8A. Can't see the EcoCitys being taken off the X21 anytime soon as there is nothing else is really suitable for them. Really I think 4812-14 should have gone on the X75/X76 but the problem with that is the lack of usage they would have gotten as I would imagine it would still have been Solo operated on Sundays. I imagine the reason they were put on 21/X21 was to get more use out of them especially as I think there was talk of Arriva losing the gas subsidy or something like that if the usage didn't increase and the 21/X21 was an ideal candidate to do that with due to the length of the route from Darlington to Sunderland requiring four buses (Monday - Saturday) and three on Sundays.

I think The plan is for the EcoCitys to stay on the X21 and remain Eco Green although I am hearing X22 is going MAX, I feel that Arriva should either paint 4811-4814 MAX and put Stockton Pulsar's on X22 but there would be inconsistencies and I think USB's may not be possible on 4812-4812, another idea would be to send 1579-1581 to Stockton for X22 and make both routes Eco Green.
4701 is the first Temsa painted into Frequenta Base Livery

In regards to the X21 - I can't see them renumbering both routes as Xs then only MAXing one. I honestly don't see the EcoCitys going MAX. Nor do I see 1579-81 moving to Stockton as anything other than Cadet replacements.
(24 Sep 2016, 11:18 am)Kuyoyo wrote 4701 is the first Temsa painted into Frequenta Base Livery

In regards to the X21 - I can't see them renumbering both routes as Xs then only MAXing one. I honestly don't see the EcoCitys going MAX. Nor do I see 1579-81 moving to Stockton as anything other than Cadet replacements.
Problem is, if you take the EcoCitys off the X21, where would you put them? Don't think they are suited to the 8/8A, Sunday 8's are a definite no owing to turning issues in Spennymoor, the X75/X76 is MAX, about the only other thing you could do is put them on the 1/5/5A/12/19.